• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What is your eventing budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your eventing budget?

Hey, help me figure out what I need to support my budding eventing habit. I envision that I will be leasing or buying a horse then keeping it at a small eventing stable somewhere in Virginia. I'm not going to buy a truck or trailer, but hope to lean on the kindness of fellow boarders in exchange for contributing to costs to go to schooling and shows. Is that reasonable?

So figure, board, lessons, training, show fees, vet bills etc.

In addition, I'd like regular lessons and training for my horse. Do you think $1000/month is too high, too low, ridiculous? It's been almost 20 years since I had a horse, costing me no more than $150/month for everything. I am a big fan of pasture board.

I figure $5000 for an older lower level horse to get me started. Then if I'm any good at it, I'd figure out how to move up.

Thanks!

B.

how much is board?
    how much is a private lesson?
    Do you want weekly lessons?
    How much is the horse's training?
    Leave budget for supplement, especially if you are looking at a seasoned horse.

I say closer to 2K.
    and factor in the extra cost of gas for travel to and from the barn!

my eventing budget goes on the credit card. It's bottomless...sort of (rolling eyes)

I buy lots of supplement.
    Oil
    Yucca or Devil's Claw
    flax
    Multi vitamin
    biotin
    joint supp

he lives at home so I buy feed not board

Factor in equipment costs

My training costs are small.
    say at the most 100 a month.

but I hit a HT each month. ~$600

I easily spend a grand each month.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I say take Purpl's number and then add the X factor! I seem to be coming up with lots of X-tras lately that I didn't budget for!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Geez you guys, are you serious??? Holy guacamole. Well, I'm going to do it somehow...

Comment

Well, I try not to look too hard at my budget, but I suspect that my eventing budget (durting show season) approaches $1000/month. But, I try to save during the off season, and I plan my whole season in the off season. I do very minimal training, and work off most of my lessons. But, yeah, a HT probably runs me about $500, plus board $300, plus shoeing $85, plus extras...Sheesh. Like I said, I try not to look at the numbers!
          http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

Comment

my hubby gave me a $300 a month allowance to see how it would work. Just on the fun stuff.... not care or shoes or vet bills or feed or anything. basically just lessons and showing.... yeah... didn't go over so well at all. i think i used that much in just the first week! well, it depends on if/how often i showed, but...yeah.....

aside from the necessities...
            say one lesson a week, $30-$60: that's $180
            one HT a month: $400 or so... not counting gas, hotel expenses, food, etc
            that's almost $600 JUST on lessons and one rec. show. add in feed, board, trailering, hotels, shoes, etc.

really..... my check book goes like this.... feed store, tack store, trainer, chiro, phone bill, farrier, trainer, schooling fee, show fee, electric bill, farrier, chiro, etc.... it's really really sad how MUCH we spend. and i keep my guys at home!!!

but it's just sooooooo addictive!!! but yeah... plan on spending LOTS!

course if you're frugal and have good self-control, you might just be able to do it
            good luck and have fun!! just plan on ramen noodles for awhile

Comment

$500 board
              $100 farrier (average, 6 week shoeing)
              $100 vet (just in case)
              $260 lessons (we pay $65 per week in NoVa w/a good trainer)
              $150 1 recognized event per month (one a month during season-leaves extra)
              $100 things you "need" (easy to spend!)
              ______
              $1200

Once you get started, print out the Pony Club Record Book. It's simple, and a good way to keep track. That way you can adjust your budget when you find out what's realistic.

Comment

Oh my god we are suppose to have a budget!?!

I guess mine is when the money in my account runs out.

I will copy thumbsontop:

$350 field board (for the horse competing)
                $220 farrier (average, 4 week shoeing)
                $100 vet (just in case) Just did injections so with flexions and then injections it was about 300.00.
                $480 lessons (I pay $65 per week, per trainer, and get one lesson each a week-roughly)
                $330 (2 HT a month but this varies as some months have more and some have less to none)
                $100 things you "need" (easy to spend!)
                ______
                $1580

I also have two other horses, one retired one trying to figure out what he wants to do, so my money floats around where it is needed.

Goodness, I hope my husband doesn't read this thread.
                Grab mane and kick on!

http://www.ashleykriegeleventing.com/

Comment

When I was a teenager, (late 1960's) my dad had just died and my mother was supporting my horse addiction. (1 horse with whom I did Jumpers) One day I got home from school to find Mum at her desk with her head in her hands and piles of papers all over everywhere. She was quite obviously distressed. She looked up at me with a look of horror in her eyes and said, "I have just done something I will NEVER do again." I was shocked. She went on to explain she had just added up all the horse expenses from the last year!

I learned a very important lesson that day. There is no horse budget because just when you think you have it figured out you will get a vet bill that will knock your socks off or your towing vehicle will need some huge repairs or the price of gas will double. Don't budget, just spend thill the money's gone!
                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

It is easier to do every two months...

Board: $800
                    Weekly lesson for 8 weeks: $400
                    Shoes Every two months-ish [my horse has hardy feet... knock on wood]: $150
                    Two horse trials: $400
                    Whatever else: $200

Well, mine works out to be about 1k a month... but I work off some of my board and get basically free trailering to shows.
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/CloverExpress08/

Comment

I keep my horses at home, truck and trailer are paid for, so those don't factor in as far as a "monthly dollar amount" goes, although of course it costs to keep them. Just not as much as boarding!

I generally, in a good year, go to 4-5 HTs, maybe 1-2 local jumper shows. All of the HTs except one require traveling at least 150 miles, some of them up to 350 miles. They are all at least 2-day affairs except one local (150 miles) one that I sometimes go to.

My husband travels so much that we have a gozillion hotel points--so rarely do I have to pay for a hotel. Strike that from the tally.

So removing hotel, truck and trailer, board fees, I don't use a trainer at shows, and I'm left with entry fees and fuel.

A typical HT will cost $250-300 with stabling for one horse. Add fuel at $3/gallon and a truck that gets 15mpg = anywhere from $60 - $200 for fuel. That's around $500 for one show.

NOW add back the cost of keeping the horses: roughly $120/month each, soup to nuts. And I have to get a horse-sitter to watch the ones that stay home when I show: $40/day.

I take lessons once a week: $120-150/month.

My horse is going in training this winter: $700/month.

Ai, this is too depressing!
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

RiverBendPol - can I pass your words of wisdom on to my husband!?

Having just sat down in one of those forced family fun conferences, and being mindful that the YP is headed toward a 1* next season. . .

No board - horse is at home
                        Farrier - $125 every five weeks
                        Feed - $70 for grain, hay. . . jeez Louise! at approximately one ton per month for 5 horses (I hope!) I figure roughly $85 per horse per month
                        Supplements - around $110 per month (includes a monthly adequan dose)
                        Lesson - two per week at $60 each - $480
                        Total - $870

About once a quarter:
                        Chiro as needed - $75
                        Weird body guy as needed - $100

Horse Trials - $600 per horse trial is a good guestimate - and we have about 6-8 on the radar screen for the spring.

PLUS truck payment, trailer payment (just ordered a new one WITH living quarters - no more $125 hotel rooms or board bills for the greyhounds!!), miscellaneous vet garbage, appropriate riding attire for a still growing 17 year old boy, truck maintainence, GAS (here in NC diesel is currently $3.35 a gallon), plus the oh s%$t factor. . . . it is staggering.

I try not to add it up too often, especially since MY only indulgence is a once a month trip to Monique's House of Nails for a pedicure.

On the other hand, I don't have the bail bondsman on speed dial, I'm not paying for a shrink, and my son is healthy, happy, physically fit, outside learning valuable life lessons, and not inside exercising his thumbs with a Game Boy.

Don't look - just enjoy!!
                        www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

If you are talking NOVA when you say Virginia, I will say that $1000 is not going to get you far, if you are considering just about everything (board, training/lessons, vet,farrier, schooling costs, and shows). If you want training for your horse, $1000 will more or less cover board and training (ex: our full training is $1125- that's 6 schools a week and some lessons. "Half" training is $925). If you are going to do just board and no training, plan to spend anywhere from $300 (field board) to $700 (full board). Individual lessons can vary, but I think the safe range is anything from $50 to $100 (that's Olympic Gold Medalist lessons). Vets are harder to price out, but they have NOVA cost of living expenses, so they aren't cheap. And you can easily spend $150 on shoes. $5000 for an older low level horse, while not un-doable, is on the low end. You can find them, but I would seriously consider giving yourself a bigger budget if you can afford it (I have found some serious packers from $7500-10k, but they ARE older and have usually required a bit of maintenance, meaning more vet bills).

Now, this is all going on NOVA expenses (and not including show...if we're talking USEA events, plan on at least $200 for local events that do not require stabling. Less for unrecognized). I think costs are similar out towards C-Ville, but less toward Richmond and the Southwest. Of course, the further you get away from NOVA, the harder it will be to find an eventing community (though not impossible).

You can do it inexpensively, but you have to be very wise about your decisions. We have a client who does it on a pretty small budget. She won't skimp when it comes to her horse's care and her riding, but she finds ways to caught costs in other places...she sews most of her own britches and they are all quite lovely!!!
                          Amanda

Comment

If you are talking NOVA when you say Virginia, I will say that $1000 is not going to get you far, if you are considering just about everything (board, training/lessons, vet,farrier, schooling costs, and shows). If you want training for your horse, $1000 will more or less cover board and training (ex: our full training is $1125- that's 6 schools a week and some lessons. "Half" training is $925). If you are going to do just board and no training, plan to spend anywhere from $300 (field board) to $700 (full board). Individual lessons can vary, but I think the safe range is anything from $50 to $100 (that's Olympic Gold Medalist lessons). Vets are harder to price out, but they have NOVA cost of living expenses, so they aren't cheap. And you can easily spend $150 on shoes. $5000 for an older low level horse, while not un-doable, is on the low end. You can find them, but I would seriously consider giving yourself a bigger budget if you can afford it (I have found some serious packers from $7500-10k, but they ARE older and have usually required a bit of maintenance, meaning more vet bills).

Now, this is all going on NOVA expenses (and not including show...if we're talking USEA events, plan on at least $200 for local events that do not require stabling. Less for unrecognized). I think costs are similar out towards C-Ville, but less toward Richmond and the Southwest. Of course, the further you get away from NOVA, the harder it will be to find an eventing community (though not impossible).

You can do it inexpensively, but you have to be very wise about your decisions. We have a client who does it on a pretty small budget. She won't skimp when it comes to her horse's care and her riding, but she finds ways to caught costs in other places...she sews most of her own britches and they are all quite lovely!!!
                            Amanda

Comment

Moderation!

Jeepers, creepers! You guys are going to scare her to death! Let's think about it. You're just starting out, on a lower level, steady eddie guy, after time off from riding. Bravo for getting back into the sport, by the way. For your first year your goals may be to learn as much as you can, stay safe, and have FUN with your horse as you develop your skills. Aim for local competitions, not USEA recognized, and see if you like it enough to want to spend the extra money for recognized competitions. There are lots of adult amateurs having a blast at schooling horse trials these days (I'm one of those!). Find a good facility and a good trainer. Do you really think you'll want weekly lessons starting out? Try lessons every other week, taking notes after each lesson to help you stay focused on your homework between lessons. Make every lesson count, and audit other lessons any chance you get. You didn't mention whether or not you work full-time, but that may influence how many rides you can get in between your lessons. Build a budget based on your own goals, not based on what others spend. I think you are smart to take a "poll" to see what other folks are spending, for reference purposes. If you've got the moolah, go for it. If your budget is slimmer, that's doable, too.

Welcome back!

Comment

You may want to budget for a shipper, just in case you can't find rides to events. When you're really READY to GO and no one has room in their trailer or they're competing at Training/Prelim and you're going BN and it's a different day or they are in the morning and you are late afternoon - make a plan to get there somehow.

Comment

I make a point of not adding it up but wanted to point out a couple of things- it is a very different proposition if you are talking about doing it in NoVa or in New Zealand. I bet it is tons cheaper to do this in New Zealand.
                                  NoVA is an expensive area in the US for things like board, farrier, vet but you will have lots of trainer options (the good ones vary from $50 to $100 for a private these days- cheaper for a group and I suppose there are some who are more but the BNT I ride with sometimes is $65).
                                  Also- NoVa has lots of good unrecongized horse trials which are cheaper and a great way to get started and unless you want to, you do not have to stable at recognized events (the folks saying it costs them $400-500 an event must be including stabling- there are so many events within 2 hours of this area that stabling is not necessary for anything less than a one star).
                                  So yes, you can easily spend a lot but, if you are on a budget, you can do it for less than lots of the numbers being offered here.
                                  There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

It's really going to depend on what costs in your area are (board, lessons, farrier) and your situation (how many lessons you want/need, any special care the horse requires) but $1000 could be a hard number to get by on depending. I can do it on $1000/month, but that's doing almost everything myself and just paying for board (and mine is cheap! I'm very lucky) and basic care (assuming no vet bills), some lessons, fuel (have truck/trailer, not counting in cost and maintenece), and entries. I could easily spend $2000 at a fancier barn with an indoor and with more lessons and coaching. You may also have to factor in coaching at events (great to have, not always possible for me), trailering, etc. Make a list and fill in your own anticipated costs based on the ideas from this thread and you should have a better idea. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by bambam View Post
                                      I make a point of not adding it up
                                      Ditto! I started adding it up one time and nearly passed out! Then I figured I'm not having to live off of ramen noodles and peanut butter, and my horse stuff makes me happy, so I'm just going to stay in my blissfully ignorant state (seems to be a trend with me lately! ) and ignore how much it costs.
                                      Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

O gosh - a budget. I hate thinking about how much I spend!

I am just starting out with my guy - he is 5 never shown before I got him and before this year - I had about a 5 year hiatus from showing and riding consistantly. So here is what I think I spend, although it is probably more. (I live in MD about 1/2 hr from Leesburg, VA)

$325 (field board)
                                        $105 (3 lessons /month @ $35 each)
                                        $85 (farrier every 6 weeks - 2 fronts)
                                        $100 (misc. Vet - that can always go up)
                                        $100 (stuff just to buy - that can always go up)
                                        $200 (rec. HT/ 1 a month/ no stabling)
                                        $50 (trailering to show, varies, all shows less than 2 hrs away)
                                        _____
                                        $965

This fall we started showing and have only done unrecg. shows. So the entries were more around $100.

What also helps is that I've got a great trainer/BO who knows what it is like to be on a very tight budget and try to succeed in this sport. So sometimes the opprotunity does arrive for me to work off lessons.

Comment

Working...
                                        X