• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thoughts for the anxious horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts for the anxious horse?

My mare (5yo TB) has become more and more of a nervous nellie lately (the last six months, or so). She developed a nervous habit of chomping - clacking her teeth together when she is nervous. She does it with or without a bridle on, with or without a rider. We'll go more in depth about her anxious behaviors in a minute.

She's had her teeth checked and power floated by a respected dentist. She's barefoot and comfortable with a balanced trim. She's been worked on regularly by the chiropractor, and has had all of her saddles checked for fit - a Stackhouse, a Kieffer, an old Crump and her favorite, a big heavy Circle Y roping saddle. We've tried different bits, different bridles, different types of cavesson. I've worn spurs, big spurs and little spurs, and no spurs. I've tried fluffy sheepskins, fancy Thinline pads, and no pads at all.

I've tried diet changes - orchard, good ol' grass hay, alfalfa, no grain, grain, different grain, beet pulp with sunnies/flax/rice bran, added vitamin B, raspberry leaves, different vitamin/mineral supplements, added magnesium, and we tried her on ranitidine for 4-6 weeks. Obviously not all at the same time, mind you.

She lives in a paddock 24/7, gets fed 3x a day and gets turned out on grass at least a couple times a week. I've tried working her more, working her less, working her on the same schedule every week.

This is not the horse I had a year ago. That horse was a lope-along-on-the-buckle, quiet churchmouse with a sensible mind that I personally started from the ground up in March of 09. I rode her bareback for three months with a broken foot during the summer, took her to dozens of schooling shows and brought home dozens of ribbons. Now she's tense, on the muscle, prancy and over-sensitive. And will occasionally lose her mind.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a lameness workup on her now, even though she doesn't appear to be 'off' in the traditional sense.

Thoughts, anyone?

has their been an excess amount of rainfall in Oregon this year?

If so, the grass could be stressed. In which case it will be much higher in sugar content.

What was she eating a year ago?
    Has her living situation changed at all?

Where did you get her? How long have you owned her?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Does she have a new neighbor/did she lose an old neighbor? My mare has very significant personality changes based upon the horses around her. Night and day differences - like the ones you're describing.

I think possible changes in the grass are a likely one, too.
      Originally posted by Silverbridge
      If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Actually, from what I understand at least a month or so ago, we were behind on rainfall this year. We may have made up for that with the recent lack of sun these last few weeks, though.

I bought her out of a field as a wormy, underweight coming four year old last February (2009). Her behavior changed when we moved at the beginning of the year, which meant going from a boarding barn with a handful of other horses, stalled 24/7 with no turnout, to living first in a stall, now out in a paddock 24/7 and getting turned out into the pasture. I have two horses and the property owner (a good friend of mine) has two. Pasture has only been up for about a month and a half, so I'm not thinking it's an issue with the grass. We both live on the property, also. Its a pretty quiet place.

ETA: purpl, a year ago she was eating the same hay she's got now, plus Ultium mixed with some beet pulp and rice bran. The Ultium slowly made her crazy, so ultimately I had to work out a new diet. It took about a month for the 'crazy' to wear off. ATM she is getting beet pulp, rice bran and sunnies/flax plus some vitamins. I've had trouble finding something that will put and keep weight on her without making her a crazy bat. I'd prefer to keep the beep around, she likes the sloppiness and is much less agressive towards her food.

Comment

Sounds like she was sick and unhealthy...and now you have her feeling better her true personality is showing more.

You are also probably asking more of her in work...and that can make them anxious.

You could scope her to check for ulcers.....or try Regumate....but honestly, this could just be her.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
            Sounds like she was sick and unhealthy...and now you have her feeling better her true personality is showing more.

You are also probably asking more of her in work...and that can make them anxious.

You could scope her to check for ulcers.....or try Regumate....but honestly, this could just be her.
            I would think that too, if she had begun to act like this after being wormed and put on a proper diet, but I don't think she was so malnourished or underfed that it would take an entire year for her to get back to her 'normal' personality. She's been muscled up and of decent weight since about this time last year.

I dearly hope this isn't just the way she is! Its not a personality I get along with well, really. She was always pretty sensible, never an airhead or a bimbo, but now... she reminds me of my mother. Dramatic, overreactive, with a serious case of Chicken Little syndrome. And if you dare to push buttons, well... I hope you like a hissy fit.

Comment

My mare gets like that sometimes. One thing we tried was dosing her with some ulcerguard and it has worked wonders. It has mellowed out her personality, especially at shows where it was the worst. I usually just give her a tube over a show weekend since the initial dosing. It wouldnt hurt trying it, even if ulcers arent the cause.
              RIP Charlie and Toby

Comment

I also thought ulcers, but if the ranitidine didn't work, maybe it's hindgut instead of stomach? Still would think you'd have seen some improvement, though....

Anyway, my mare got like that a little while after we moved to Florida a few years ago from CA. Although she's never been quite as mellow as you describe yours being (I've had her 9 years now), it was a dramatic and noticeable problem.

I'd have to dig into my memory and my former BO's memory, but there's a vet in FL named Dr Wessner who makes a homeopathic something that seemed to bring my mare back to earth within a couple of weeks of use. I don't have his contact information on hand here at work, but I'm sure you could find it and give him a call?

Good luck, that is frustrating!
                Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

You might try getting her checked for an ovarian cyst...I had a TB mare who was always a bit out of her mind, but one spring she was abnormally hypersensitive and borderline unrideable. Once she was treated for a cyst (series of shots, unfortunately I forget what they were because this was YEARS ago) she was back to her quasi-rideable self

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, and to compound the thought process...

She was totally game-on when it came to stadium and XC this last weekend, despite her idiot antics in the warmup.

Comment

You might want to see if she is getting any soy in her hard feed or supplements. Soy enhances estrogen levels, which most young mares don't need. I notice a dramatic difference in my mare when she is on or off soy.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                        Well, and to compound the thought process...

She was totally game-on when it came to stadium and XC this last weekend, despite her idiot antics in the warmup.

Maybe she needs MORE of a job? My mare is a fruitcake in a lesson/clinic situation until it's our turn and then given "something to do besides think about bucking me off" she's a star.

Sometimes it's a fine line between enough direction to make them feel secure (oh good, you're in charge, I have my little task, I'm safe) and overload, which makes things worse.

Does she stop fretting if you do something like clicker training, or easy but complex tasks under saddle - walking through ground poles with alternate ends up?

Comment

I would think that too, if she had begun to act like this after being wormed and put on a proper diet, but I don't think she was so malnourished or underfed that it would take an entire year for her to get back to her 'normal' personality. She's been muscled up and of decent weight since about this time last year.

I dearly hope this isn't just the way she is! Its not a personality I get along with well, really. She was always pretty sensible, never an airhead or a bimbo, but now... she reminds me of my mother. Dramatic, overreactive, with a serious case of Chicken Little syndrome. And if you dare to push buttons, well... I hope you like a hissy fit.
                          Hate to tell you...it does take some time to get them feeling better....usually 6 months to a year IME. In addition, you are talking about a 4 year old growing into a 5 year old. Think teenage with people. They can and do develop a lot in these years. The can get more opinionate...hotter...more demanding...or calmer etc. That's the fun part for me...watching them grow into themselves and seeing who they become.

I also agree with Hilary...Could she be bored? And the lip smacking is just a way for her to entertain herself instead of being anxious? It sounds like she was really good at the show....some times they need more of a challenge...

Good luck...but I do have to say, some do really change their personalities after their 4 year old year....
                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Have you noticed whether the behaviors have any connection to her heat cycle? Transitional heat cycles can be very strong and cause a lot of discomfort and anxiety. If you think it may be connected, you could try a product like depo provera or regumate and see if she levels out.

Comment

Her behavior changed when we moved at the beginning of the year, which meant going from a boarding barn with a handful of other horses, stalled 24/7 with no turnout, to living first in a stall, now out in a paddock 24/7 and getting turned out into the pasture.
                              To me that says it's probably the change in boarding situation. It could be different feed if that changed when she moved, but she may just not be as secure now. Did she immediately start behaving differently when you moved, or was it when you put her in the paddock? Can you try giving her different neighbors? She may actually feel more comfortable in a stall, silly and unnatural as that sounds to most of us.
                              Originally posted by Silverbridge
                              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Have you checked for lymes or a displaced ovary?
                                Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

I'm going to go along with BFNE on this. Vernon was kick along quiet, VERY relaxed as a late 3 year old and all through his 4 year old year. When January 1 of his 5 year old year rolled around, I swear it was like a switch and he became a totally bratty teenager. He was a pretty rotten brat most of last year...but only in things he doesn't love. He'd grump and sulk about flat work, but draaaaagggged me around all the show jumping and xc courses I wanted. The good news is, now at 6, he seems to be getting over it, mostly.

Had another little TB mare who was PERFECT at 3 but turned into a pistol at 4. And she DEFINITELY needed plenty of work. The more she worked, the happier she was. She didn't seem to grow out of it. Sometimes I think they put so much work into growing like bad weeds at 3 and 4 that they often don't have enough energy left to act silly.

But, I really also think you need to consider scoping or treating seriously for ulcers. Again, Vernon gets really nasty if his belly is in turmoil...he did not have full blown ulcers when we scoped him, but it was apparent that he had them at some point and was prone to them. Ulcerguard makes him a lot nicer to be around when he's in a stressful situation.

And, yes, I've had some poor doers turn into raging lunatics when they finally get totally healthy...sometimes they settle into a more suitable state of mind, some times they don't.
                                  Amanda

Comment

PSSM
                                    It can present itself in strange ways... i figured it out with my horse through the help of this board $1500 into diagnostics that were going no where.
                                    low starch everything and then add 1/2c oil to each feeding. and see what happens
                                    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Five years old can really be the ugly year. And I agree that it takes a good year to fix them when they are a mess and you don't know what you have until then.

But one thing the OP wrote jumped out at me... That she is on grass a few times a week. I'd be concerned about that, for more than one reason -the first being that it could cause stomach issues. Horses develop the ability to digest what they eat over time, which is why we make feed changes slowly. I would wonder if she never acclimated to the grass because it is sporadic.

Then there Is the possibility that as P&P talked about, that the sugar in the grass is causing her issues. Maybe even like a sporadic sugar high since she is not on it regularly.

Then there is the fact that horses dislike inconsistency... And also that if she lives in a paddock and stall most of the time that she is not getting enough turnout for her new, healthy, fit body.
                                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                      ---
                                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I guess if all health issues are ruled out and she doesn't grow out of it....don't be surprised.

I have a 13yo OTTB that raced for 6 yrs. He has been treated for ulcers, had chiro, saddle fitted, feed changed, living arrangements changed, teeth done, tried 100 different bits... He is highly neurotic. He grinds his teeth a lot, weaves, throws tantrums, yells, decides he can't do things some days ("I DO NOT HAVE A LEFT LEAD TODAY SO STOP ASKING!") and all manner of other silly things. I long ago gave up on trying to solve him in that respect. He is who he is and I love him to death.
                                        "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

Working...
                                        X