• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New Amateur preliminary track? Rumors? Facts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amateur preliminary track? Rumors? Facts?

Does anyone have anything to say about the rumor that there might be a new amateur preliminary track being developed that eases the preliminary cross country course requirements, or changes them in some way? Seems to me I heard something about this and would appreciate any thoughts or a discussion about it. What have you heard? What exactly is it? Is it for anyone or only amateur riders?
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

geeze, i hope not...

I would rather see a tougher training track to better prepare riders for the Prelim move up.
    www.3-dayeventing.com
    www.sycamoreridgefarmky.com

Comment

Originally posted by tommygirl View Post
      I would rather see a tougher training track to better prepare riders for the Prelim move up.
      Ditto
      Leave the course specs as-is and have riders and trainers who are responsible enough to prepare properly. As an amateur, I would hope that people would think I am just as competent as a pro or YR. There is no reason to place emphasis on amateurs as 'incapable' or 'needing assistance'. I'm an ammy because of my age and the fact that my job is not horse-related, not for any other reason

Comment

I agree with the others. I would be personally offended to see this happen. I would never enter it in a million years. Going preliminary for an amateur is a BIG DEAL. I would feel like it were being downplayed if there was a course like this.
        Going to the T3DE last year was like doing an upgraded T course. After that I was more than ready to do P. If some amateurs want an amateur prelim tell them to enter the T3DE.

Comment

Geeze, I'm with everyone else. Why dumb down prelim any further? It's a big step up from training but I think there are people out there who are already taking the fast route to prelim when they aren't ready. Why encourage more? Furthermore, I feel (and maybe it's just me) that if you are TRULY ready for the next level up, you should not need a "move up" course to get your there. If you are ready for the level, you are ready for the level. Period.

Training courses need to be beafed up, prelim doesn't need to be made softer.

Comment

why would you call it "preliminary" if it isn't. If there is some sense of a need for a level between training and prelim, fine, call it TP (and I know this is a designation for a test with training XC and P dressage and sj, but couldn't resist), but then it should be for everyone including 13 year old fabulous young riders basically ready, but not old enough to go preliminary, professionals on young horses, etc. One of the coolest things about eventing is that we do get to compete on even ground and the fact that I've chosen a job that isn't full time horses, doesn't mean that I don't want to rise to the challenge at the same level as it is now. Do championships, do the training 3 day, have some tougher training courses that require qualifications and do those, but I agree with the other posters.
            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I agree, leave prelim the way it is!

Comment

Originally posted by tommygirl View Post
                I totally agree. I think this is critical.

Comment

There is a mention of this idea in the newest Eventing mag -- it sounds as though it is being seriously considered, and would focus on simpler, "galloping" courses with less technicality.

I am not sure what my reaction to this would have been 8 months ago, but as a very average amateur who just moved up to prelim by dint of a lot of hard work, my reaction now was "NO!!!"
                  I am SO proud of our moveup, and have learned so much in the prep process -- a lot of folks I know moved up sooner than I did, and some had some real "seat of the pants" moments, but I think THAT should be addressed by harder trainings or more stringent qualifications, NOT by making prelim easier!!!

I am sure we will encounter harder courses next year that really challenge (and maybe defeat!) our skills, but that gives me a goal, not a reason to want to run easier courses...
                  The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I hate the idea of an ammy prelim track for all the reasons stated above.

Tracks are known within an area for being "move-ups," "average," or "max" and there has been some talk of rating tracks accordingly. But really it is up to the rider and coach to select appropriate tracks for their horse's and/or rider's development, and ditto it's up to the rider and coach to take responsibility and know if the courses they've run have them properly prepped for the next move (be it a one-star or a bump up to intermediate). All prelims are not equal, nor should they be, but they idea of a whole separate track for ammy riders seems counter to the spirit of eventing where the course is the test and the level playing field.

Just as all prelim tracks are not created equal, neither are tracks of other levels. Some advance courses are Rolex preps, others are move ups. Same sort of variation at training level. The rules give a range: you will be tested on at least "this" level of skills and potentially up to "that" level of skills, but no more. Competitors in an area should ask around and get a feel for what events they should enter depending on where they are in the learning curve of mastering each level.
                    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

Another vote for NO!! If you want to do something easy, ride at Training. If you want bigger jumps and less technicality, go play with the hunters. They need more people in the 4' divisions..... nice, easy courses, but they're 4'.

If they do this, I wouldn't ride in that division. When Star makes it to Prelim, it will be a "real" one.

Comment

I will join the chorus of "no"
                        I think there is a big gap between training and prelim (and one that I too often think folks do not see- as in "I have gone clean at training and so must be ready for prelim," errrr no). But the answer for that is to offer some tough training course options not dumb down prelim.
                        As someone who is working really hard to be able to do the move-up to prelim next season, I don't want it made easier even though that would mean I could move up sooner. It would cheapen the accomplishment and the fact that I am an ammie who hopefully will be able to do prelim, will make it all that much sweeter when I do it.
                        There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

I was wondering if anyone would start a post about this...

There was a blip about it in this issue of Eventing Mag. I found it a very interesting concept. When I really think about it - I tend to agree with the prior posters in this thread -why "dumb" it down for an Ammy? I am an amature as well, and when I move up to prelim, I know I don't want to feel as though my move up was any less of a big deal than anyone elses - ammy or pro.

I do tend to think, you are either ready for the level or your aren't. With that being said, I do think there is some value in more detailed course descriptions being provided in the omnibus. Lets face it, not all courses are created equal, some are easier than others, more appropriate for a move up, some are for someone more seasoned at that level. Just the blanket statement about the X-C in the ominbus about "average for horses/riders with some experience at the level" is not much help. This is something I think needs to be addressed prior to considering a dummied down version of the different divisions.

Comment

E-A, I totally agree with you! We have had lots of conversation about this (including various rating schemes that have been suggested) and I think it's fair to say no one has come up with a system that can get consensus yet...but most agree it would be BETTER if the descriptions were more helpful.

And I would really like to see a quasi-formal effort to create more move-up prep within the Training tracks. I basically stopped running training when I was getting ready to move up because the xc issues I was struggling to master were just not going to be ON any training track I knew...but if a few of the courses had had harder options, or we saw more prelim "questions" at training heights, that would have been very helpful!
                            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

No way - and if they had such a track, I wouldn't ride in it! Am I the only one who gets a kick out of competing with pros? If you want a straightforward gallopy course, choose your events accordingly. If you want more technicality, same thing. Don't know which is which? Well, if you don't either know enough yourself to know, and don't ride with someone who does, maybe you shouldn't be going P. And that's my snarking for the day.

Comment

Not in favour of this idea....besides, why do we want to add more burden to organizers? Definitely NO!
                                One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Comment

What about the associated $$$ with building a bunch of faux prelim courses? Why not take the money and expand on previous courses?

Comment

I thought the black flag option rule (EV140.2c) was supposed to make it easier for course designers and organizers to provide the members that are moving up and maybe need a softer question to answer while they and/or the horse gain experience.

With this rule in place it seems that they have already provided a means to accomplish this goal.
                                    Last edited by horsecents; Nov. 5, 2007, 12:31 PM. Reason: add rule number
                                    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Comment

Not just no, but H**L NO!

I agree, no point in dumbing it down, and if a CD wants to make a softer route for less-experienced Prelim riders, he can use the black flag options and they can take the time penalties.

Jennifer
                                      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Originally posted by bambam View Post
                                        It would cheapen the accomplishment and the fact that I am an ammie who hopefully will be able to do prelim, will make it all that much sweeter when I do it.
                                        Agreed!
                                        Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                        X