• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Where to find upper level event prospects? (canter ect.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is the luck of the Irish in many cases- Reds Ready left here with a very good trainer who figured, along with me, that he would be a solid Training level horse- he ended up being sold to a student, and taking that rider to Intermediate. Years ago we had a horse at Del Park named Anderroo who was a nice type but no one ever figured he would be listed for the Olympics. SEPowell has a lovely mare from us who probably has all of the stuff to shoot for the stars, but she is happy to have her as a foxhunter. When I was younger and eventing a lot, the horse I thought would be "IT" topped out at Prelim.....

The main thing is to find a young, sound horse that you LIKE, and seemingly has all the right parts, see where the road takes you, and have fun on the journey!

Bev Strauss
    MidAtlantic Horse Rescue
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Comment

Originally posted by BeverlyAStrauss View Post
      The main thing is to find a young, sound horse that you LIKE, and seemingly has all the right parts, see where the road takes you, and have fun on the journey!

Bev Strauss
      MidAtlantic Horse Rescue
      Amen!!

Comment

I'm certain you didn't upset or offend anyone by asking your question!

caffeinated gave you lots of great links for OTTBs - and if I were on a strict budget, I know that's where I would be looking, first.
        I am certain, as I type this, there are many WONDERFUL, talented and athletic TB horses with great potential, who need a good new home.

You could also contact some breeders, if you are willing to take on a younger horse. Your budget might be able to stretch to one of theirs too.

good luck and let us know how you make out!
        A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by BeverlyAStrauss View Post

Bev Strauss
          MidAtlantic Horse Rescue
          well said!
          A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Second Stride

This is a nice organization in KY. The woman who runs it and the woman who does most of the training are both eventers. I got 3 horses from them. Don't bring too big of a trailer. They'll fill it up for you. I went with a friend and we brought back 5 total.
            http://www.secondstride.org/
            Last edited by avezan; May. 4, 2010, 09:51 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

I totally feel for you Cloiebell! I'm in the same predicament and thought about leaving the sport for a bit, getting a career, and then coming back. But that's expensive too! So I say keep plugging along, and with hard work you'll get there. And yes, you may have to go through several or dozens of track ponies to find the right one, but no one but you has the right to tell you that you can or can't do it. Especially when you're willing to work hard. One good suggestion once you've gone and purchased something, might be to get into a good working student position. That way you get lots of good teaching to potentially get that horse somewhere or if all else fails you'll be in a position where the coach might know of something and be able to help you out. I wish I could do that right now but now I decided to do some schooling and am paying for it...which was a waste of time in my case! All I wanted to do was go ride and I should've listened to my heart! Good luck and I'm sure it'll all come together And I would definitely go for a Canter pony or equine.com or dreamhorse, you can find some good ones cheap on there..just gotta do your homework.
              Cheers
              Last edited by 3phase; May. 3, 2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I've gotten inexpensive or free horses from MixNMatch (PA), ac4h (also PA), Canter (midatlantic), Heartland Horse Rescue (FL), equine.com, Craigslist, from trainers or breeders who didn't have time/room for something that wasn't quite fitting into their program.... mostly gone on to ammy homes not interested in upper levels, so hard to say if they were UL prospects, but... my current UL prospect (currently running Training and ready to go Prelim) is a 15.2h TB mare, bred to event, didn't get big enough for her owner who didn't want to keep paying board on her..... I got 2 3yo's free off the Giveaways forum from a race trainer in PA and they are both fabulous, seem to have to right raw materials! You never know!

Jennifer
                Third Charm Event Team

Comment

How much $$ are you prepared to spend.

$500.00 now that its spring and optimism will be at an all time high on the track. No snow, grass is green owners coming out.

The low enders or freebies might disappoint at a PPE.

The really best time to buy will be Septmeber thru November as outfits weed out and head south for the winter or trainers will be pressured to sell off the non winners but not necessarily unsound horses.

Bankrolled with $2500-3500. you would be in a position to pick n choose pay some shipping and pop for PPE and x-rays.
                  Average $1000-1500 across the board
                  $500-$750. is a wing n a prayer if you don't have an insider to scout for you.

Also the older the horse and sex n size play a part. Geldings always cost more, colts can be a good buy but add in cost of geldig ($350-500).

Mares and fillies can be cheaper and again AGE 7-8yr old definately cheaper to buy 3-5 will be premium.

Buying from a OTTB restarter base $3500. for one you can sit on and flat jump x-rail then prices go up.
                  But you usually can get a good sense of horses after being let down and also get a good idea of attitude and willingness to learn a new job.
                  Plus once all the post race suppliments,chemicals,leg wraps etc have been gone for a while the legs/joints will show themselves.

Best of luck*****

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                    Actually, according to your post, you might find 5 out of 200. That's a 2.5% chance of finding an upper level prospect off the track.
                    Janet's math is correct; 5 out of 200 is equal to 1 out of 40.
                    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
                    Home of Fitz, Austria & Erin
                    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Daeo, Max, Finn, Jake, Seamus & Pleasure

Comment

Re: judybigredpony

Finances: My 2-star TB cost $2200 out of the field, with a $400 commission to the ULR who found him (at insistence of seller, NOT ULR).

He was out competing locally in 3' classes a couple months later, and did his first event the following spring.

By the time he finished his two star I figured I had put about $40,000 in - and I didn't have to pay board or lessons that whole time.

My current "bargain" 3 y.o. TB from the track was $500. No pre-purchase. So far I've put about $8500 in (including some vet bills for hurting himself in the pasture) and have finally got to the stage 2 years later of going out for a little XC school.

If I had spent more money at the outset, I could have possibly gone with a horse that was let-down, older, and ready to work, and been way further along in his training. (However, this guy does have potential, and I feel like I am finally able to ask for it - as we progress I think I will have a very special horse!)
                      Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I'm not sure the 1 out of 40 would be accurate. I'm sure Phyllis Dawson has a better eye than most of us mere mortals, and if I read the statistic correctly she's saying 5 out of the 200 she picked. I'm sure the percentage out of random horses off the track would be considerably lower. The difficult part now is also that to find a competitive upper level prospect is considerably harder now that the sport has switched from the long format, and dressage is weighted so much more heavily.

Comment

I just wanted to thank Caffeinated for all of that work post Rolex on the histories of the horses. That is so great! I would have been so excited to see the ex-Charles Towners and Mountaineers, hometown boys! And thanks for the heads up about the Washington State horses. Now I have a whole new bunch of horses to oogle since my cross country relocation.
                          "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Yes, Lisa is an excellent horse matcher. Be prepared to answer questions like where you are, what level you are competing at, who your trainer is. And she will contact your trainer too! Get the jist of who you really are and what you really need. She's thorough and she hasn't steered me wrong yet!
                            Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Bad experience w/ Lisa Reid

I DO NOT recommend Lisa Reid as a "matchmaker".

I worked with Lisa recently to purchase a preliminary prospect and I selected her partially based on feedback from COTH. I have been thoroughly disappointed in the horse's quality as well as Lisa's assistance. The horse I bought is totally unsuited for eventing and several folks have questioned this horse's soundness, besides the fact that I paid $4500 for an OTTB. PM me for details.

Comment

Well, did you go see the horse? Is he horribly unsuited because of conformation? Because I haven't seen any uglies come from her. If it's because you got on and he's a pansy, that's not her fault. Lisa can only point out that the horse has the right parts when it's an OTTB situation. It is not her fault if you guys don't get along once started under saddle, or if the horse ends up preferring playing in a sandbox instead of running fast and jumping high. That is the risk everyone takes when buying OTTB's.

Did you have it vetted? If it vetted sound at the time, it's not Lisa's fault that he's questionable now. If you didn't have him vetted, well, that's all on you.

Just saying that the situation sounds a bit off, and not because of Lisa.

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalSelection View Post
                                  several folks have questioned this horse's soundness
                                  Did you have the horse vetted? Lisa isn't a vet.
                                  The horse I bought is totally unsuited for eventing
                                  What makes the horse "totally unsuited for eventing"? Was it something that was evident when you looked at the horse? If yes, then why did you buy the horse? If no, then why would you expect Lisa to know about it?
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Keep an eye on leightonfarm.com. She often has some very nice horses that are giveaways and also starts some off the track that are good buys as well.

I also second mapleshadefarm.net. Margaret has a good eye and is familiar with sport inclined pedigrees. She also events so her horses are most likely to be up your alley.

Good luck. One of my favorite horses was an OTTB freebie who had talent out her ears. Much more talent than I needed but it was sure nice to sit on.
                                    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                                      I also second mapleshadefarm.net. Margaret has a good eye and is familiar with sport inclined pedigrees. She also events so her horses are most likely to be up your alley.
                                      Of the folks on this board anyway, Margaret and Jleegriffith are the two I'd go to if I needed something restarted or wanted to buy something with a little mileage at a reasonable price. (well, besides picking out one of the new CANTER arrivals, I fall in love with each one I swear!)
                                      "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Coppers mom: I sent you a PM.

I feel that this a suitable place to post a dissenting opinion of Lisa's work. I know others have had good experiences, but I have not.

Just to clear-up the facts:
                                        1) I did not see the horse in-person, I wish I had. I did not have time/vacation/money to canvas the East Coast looking for a prelim prospect. I paid for Lisa's professional opinion because she advertises herself as a matchmaker and reported that she has several happy customers who have purchased from her sight-unseen. Lesson learned.

2) The horse was vetted using Lisa's recommended vet and Lisa attended the PPE as my agent. I paid for the x-rays recommended by the vet, x-rays were clean. I will be present for all future PPEs, lesson learned.

3) This horse was located at a horse-trader's farm and Lisa had an opportunity to evaluate this horse's movement in an open arena.

4) This horse is cute and attractive (certainly not ugly!) with a pleasant and trainable attitude, that is not the problem. Bold and curious - great for x-country. Heck, I'd be happy playing in the sandbox even if this wasn't an event horse - I know not all horses are meant for x-c! I only contest the horse's suitability for eventing, dressage or jumping based on his unusually short, choppy, uncomfortable movement behind (that was immediately spotted by my vet and two trainers) - exactly the kind of thing a professional should have ruled-out.

Comment

NS- I don't know anything about Lisa but I would always ask for a video. Heck, now you can do a short video on your phone if necessary. If someone is unwilling to make a video for me then I would absolutely not buy a horse from them regardless of their reputation.

There have been two horses that have come through the CANTER program that I thought could be true upper level horses based on their movement, jump and boldness. I find these horses often only fit certain riders because they are extremely athletic and would probably intimidate anyone who didn't enjoy jumping 4ft over an x-rail

We don't get to pick and choose the horses that are donated to CANTER so you often don't know what you have until you start working with them and evaluating their talent. Both of the horses that I thought had all the right tools to be upper level horses went through the jump chute like they had been jumping forever and seemed to have a natural feel for the distances and the ability to adjust when they got it wrong.

I think everyone is looking for the over 16h geldings, who are good looking, athletic and sound for prices under $3500. I think you often have to be in the right place at the right time to find what you are looking for and even then you are still taking a risk that it will want to event. I am still of the opinion that eventing is one of the most challenging disciplines because a horse has to be able to do all three things well in order to be in the ribbons.
                                          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X