• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

check out youtube videos of falls and VEST!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • check out youtube videos of falls and VEST!!

    Wow just wow!!! This video by "Andria Pooley" shows all three BAD falls at the same fence and each rider wearing the new vest. I think it looks like it saved them from far more serious injuries.
    Brilliant and what a perfect endorsement for the company that makes them.
    Which BTW they are using as an endorsement but Hey that is a GOOD thing!!!!
    I think you can just type in "Oliver Townend Rolex 2010" to get it.

  • #2
    I'm going to link directly to the video, because I think it's so helpful (but also pretty graphic).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxWZ2uKLQb4

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Thanks, I didn't know how to do that and after watching it several more times, it clearly shows how this vest saved them. Especially Oliver!

      Comment


      • #4
        Uh, first, you need to look closer. OT vest was not fully inflated during the crushing blow. The vest that saved him was the standard body protector underneath. The same can be said for the other riders as well.

        How can you say it is clear how the vest saved them? Did they have the same crash without the underlying body protector? Were the falls done over with no protection to determine the likelihood of injury or the potential extent of injury?

        Even the makers of the vests admit that these vests do NOT protect riders in these types of falls. A deformable structure such as the air vests CANNOT prevent flexural or crushing injuries.

        Back in the 1970s I had a rotational fall over a log fence and I walked away. Does that mean my fishnet shirt is as good as any body protector?

        Reed

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by boppin along View Post
          Which BTW they are using as an endorsement but Hey that is a GOOD thing!!!!
          Really?!?... I found it exploitive, sensationalistic, and misleading, not to mention distasteful and bad for the sport. I think it is a big leap to use these falls as a marketing tool and they worded things very carefully to avoid fraud.

          Comment


          • #6
            I promised myself I'd stay out of this - because I'e already made my decision. I realize that it would be desirable to have thorough and documented safety testing of these types of products - but the industry doesn't seem to be structured in such a way as to facilitate that. For those concerned about the cost - it's less than a year of car insurance (at least in NJ...) and for those who are not convinced that the air vests won't exacerbate an impact injury - well, there are still people out there who won't wear seatbelts because they're worried about thoracic trauma... It just seems foolish not to TRY to protect yourself as much as possible XC.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by boppin along View Post
              Which BTW they are using as an endorsement but Hey that is a GOOD thing!!!!
              Once again, I hope these vests turn out to be the greatest thing ever and when the evidence is there that they prevent injury WITHOUT the risk of doing more harm in catastrophic situations, I will be the first one to whip out my checkbook.

              But this kind of hard, dishonest marketing makes me more and more cautious. Posting rider's nightmares on youtube and taking credit for them walking away, is wrong.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not to familiar with the pins - but should this fence have had them and if it did why didn't it collapse - would they remove this fence from future competitions because of the three falls?

                sorry a bit off topic but just what I thought when I watched the videos.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JanWeber View Post
                  ....and for those who are not convinced that the air vests won't exacerbate an impact injury - well, there are still people out there who won't wear seatbelts because they're worried about thoracic trauma... It just seems foolish not to TRY to protect yourself as much as possible XC.

                  Sorry Jan, but I have a few contacts to some cases in the UK that possibly indicate injury exacerbation.

                  Using your logic I bought an EXO. It is rigid to prevent crushing. It meets BETA 2000 and ASTM standards for puncture resistance. It is a fail-SAFE system in that it continually works and does not rely on a mechanical system to activate.

                  If told I had to have a horse land on me (as they have in the past) I'll take an EXO or Reiterprotektor system long before any air vest system.

                  Reed

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by boppin along View Post
                    Wow just wow!!! This video by "Andria Pooley" shows all three BAD falls at the same fence and each rider wearing the new vest. I think it looks like it saved them from far more serious injuries.
                    Brilliant and what a perfect endorsement for the company that makes them.
                    Which BTW they are using as an endorsement but Hey that is a GOOD thing!!!!
                    I think you can just type in "Oliver Townend Rolex 2010" to get it.
                    If you're not a shill, you've been drinking some serious Kool-Aid.
                    Last edited by JER; Apr. 25, 2010, 10:20 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JanWeber View Post
                      I promised myself I'd stay out of this - because I'e already made my decision. I realize that it would be desirable to have thorough and documented safety testing of these types of products - but the industry doesn't seem to be structured in such a way as to facilitate that. For those concerned about the cost - it's less than a year of car insurance (at least in NJ...) and for those who are not convinced that the air vests won't exacerbate an impact injury - well, there are still people out there who won't wear seatbelts because they're worried about thoracic trauma... It just seems foolish not to TRY to protect yourself as much as possible XC.
                      ... and there are those of us that think it is foolish to use a safety product with no data supporting their safety just because the upper level riders use them.

                      "Trying to protect yourself" is worthless if they turn out to be dangerous in certain situations that have not yet been proven.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SevenDogs View Post
                        Once again, I hope these vests turn out to be the greatest thing ever and when the evidence is there that they prevent injury WITHOUT the risk of doing more harm in catastrophic situations, I will be the first one to whip out my checkbook.

                        But this kind of hard, dishonest marketing makes me more and more cautious. Posting rider's nightmares on youtube and taking credit for them walking away, is wrong.
                        My feelings exactly.

                        I was showing my mom the video of the falls and when it got to the end and showed the air vest endorsement I was embarrassed that I had taken part in such propaganda.
                        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Remember these are the SAME people who took credit for Faith Cook walking away from her rotational fall and neglecting to say she had a broken neck and vertebrae.

                          Reed

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                            Remember these are the SAME people who took credit for Faith Cook walking away from her rotational fall and neglecting to say she had a broken neck and vertebrae.

                            Reed
                            They actually said she walked away 'uninjured.'

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                              Uh, first, you need to look closer. OT vest was not fully inflated during the crushing blow. The vest that saved him was the standard body protector underneath. The same can be said for the other riders as well.

                              How can you say it is clear how the vest saved them? Did they have the same crash without the underlying body protector? Were the falls done over with no protection to determine the likelihood of injury or the potential extent of injury?

                              Even the makers of the vests admit that these vests do NOT protect riders in these types of falls. A deformable structure such as the air vests CANNOT prevent flexural or crushing injuries.

                              Back in the 1970s I had a rotational fall over a log fence and I walked away. Does that mean my fishnet shirt is as good as any body protector?

                              Reed
                              OY What a bunch of negativity.
                              Is your whole life decisions based on data?
                              No, I am not a "shill" just a person who saw some good come from a new product that seems to have saved a few people from some serious injuries.
                              And I thought it would be great for others to see it. Nothing More, no secret motives, no connection with the company,
                              GEEZ Get a life!
                              But then I see that your life seems to be on this chat thing like every day and so full of "scientific data" OY OY OY Why not try to see the good in this rather than the oooooooo deep dark motives???? How pathetic.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by boppin along View Post
                                GEEZ Get a life!
                                But then I see that your life seems to be on this chat thing like every day and so full of "scientific data" OY OY OY Why not try to see the good in this rather than the oooooooo deep dark motives???? How pathetic.
                                Yeah, we certainly wouldn't want to use that icky scientific data to determine if something is safe. Let's just base our decisions on YouTube videos, fraudulent claims, and what the Upper Level Riders do and just "see the good". ...Sure...that's a great idea...
                                Last edited by SevenDogs; Apr. 26, 2010, 12:33 AM.

                                Comment

                                • Original Poster

                                  #17
                                  AHHHHHH.... NOW I remember why I stopped reading these.
                                  It's been a while but
                                  Thank you for the reminder!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by boppin along View Post
                                    OY What a bunch of negativity.
                                    Is your whole life decisions based on data?
                                    Now, I'm nowhere NEAR as knowledgeable as Reed, but, in point of fact, when it comes to SAFETY EQUIPMENT, YES, my decisions are based on data.

                                    I've read comparison data on helmets, and choose to wear a brand that comes out better than average in those tests.

                                    When I was given a Tipp Eventer vest, even though it was comfy and The Thing To Wear, I chose to return it and get a CO instead, based on the data that certified vests are safer.

                                    If I had the money, I'd have an EXO, because the data shows it protects best against the most dangerous falls in our sport.

                                    Heck, when I buy a car or even treat a sprained ankle, I do it based on data, not some strange belief in my own psychic powers to make a good decision.
                                    Proud member of the EDRF

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by boppin along View Post
                                      OY
                                      No, I am not a "shill" just a person who saw some good come from a new product that seems to have saved a few people from some serious injuries.
                                      .
                                      (emphasis mine)

                                      Key word "SEEMS."

                                      Just like that child molester seems like a real nice guy, too, doesn't he?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        I was at the coffin when Dorothy and Radio Flyer fell. It was nearly the same exact thing- horse catches knee and then flips- almost identical to what was happening at the Hollow. (Although Dorothy said that she took one tug too many- so easy to do!!) I'm inclined to think that having very vertical rails as the first element of these combinations is not a good thing- the horse is coming off the ground with its front end right as it sees the next question (down bank or ditch, etc.) and that slows down their take-off or distracts them just enough so that they catch a leg. What about a "rampier" or more forgiving first element of these technical combinations?

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X