• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hunt caps for dressage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunt caps for dressage?

I was a spectator at a pretty large recognized event a few weekends ago, and noticed more than a few juniors riding their dressage tests in hunt caps instead of helmets. Is this a new trend??? I was pretty shocked and disappointed to see their parents and coaches cheering along ringside I would think that safety would be more of a consideration, especially for junior riders riding at the lower levels. I'm interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

Is it dumb? Yes. Is it new or illegal? No. I don't understand why anyone wears a hunt cap, but until the rule or the fashion changes, the juniors are unlikely to change.

Comment

There's no cure for dumb, there's no excuse for bad judgment, and there's nothing like the horse world to top a culture of "this is how we've always done it".
      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Some of the most prominent poster's here wears a hunt cap in the dressage phase. I was surprised at the response to a pm I sent them about it. I hope that with Courtney's struggle the attitude changes towards fashion changes to back safety over looks.
        Live, Laugh, Love
        http://confessionsofanaaer.blogspot.com/

Comment

hm, I have worn one in the past and, to be honest, love the way it looks. But, yes, after Courtney's fall I am really rethinking it...maybe a new helmet for dressage/stadium will be on my rolex shopping list. I want to be an example to my students and always wear one when at home, so....
          Hillside Haven Farm
          From starting gate to start box!

Comment

Originally posted by mcorbett View Post
            hm, I have worn one in the past and, to be honest, love the way it looks. But, yes, after Courtney's fall I am really rethinking it...maybe a new helmet for dressage/stadium will be on my rolex shopping list. I want to be an example to my students and always wear one when at home, so....
            I am the same way as is the boss. However, he's been wearing his helmet at the last few outings. Actually, he took Vernon and another horse to a dressage show while I was on vacation last month, and knowing that either horse could be a rodeo, he wore is helmet (he was actually suspecting Vernon would buck him off ). Well, the little mare had some meltdown while going around the ring and in a blink of an eye stood up and went over backwards. THANKFULLY, he fell away from her, but he was thanking his stars for having the had the thought to put his helmet on. I love the way my huntcap looks, but I'm finding it really hard right now to think looks are more important than my brains.
            Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CANTEREOIN View Post
              Some of the most prominent poster's here wears a hunt cap in the dressage phase. I was surprised at the response to a pm I sent them about it. I hope that with Courtney's struggle the attitude changes towards fashion changes to back safety over looks.
              Before, I've never particularly noticed one way or another at the lower level what people were wearing on their heads, but I think this is exactly why I noticed it. I can see the upper level riders wanting to wear their top hats instead of helmets because of the way it looks (but that's a totally different discussion!). I think the reason I was really put off by it was that these were kids riding training level, there is absolutely no reason why they should not be wearing an approved helmet. I know it's not illegal and people will do what they do, but I thought that it was sad that the coaches/parents didn't step in. Not only did they not step in, they probably purchased the caps for their kids!

Comment

Originally posted by mcorbett View Post
                What incident and Courtney are we talking about? Whomever it is, I hope they are okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Eventingjunkie View Post
                  What incident and Courtney are we talking about? Whomever it is, I hope they are okay.

Courtney King...one of the Top US dressage riders. She had a fall schooling a horse when he tripped over his own legs and went down with her. She was in a coma for a while and is slowly on her road to recovery.
                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

There are no guarantees in life...it's all a crap shoot, but I am an example of don't tilt the odds towards disaster. On the afternoon in December I broke my neck while doing trot sets, I fortunately didn't have a concussion due to wearing my helmet...so, after learning my neck was broken, in the ER I could help DH organize: the nurse's station WILL let you use the telephone - DH was in shock-mode, tell him brother's telephone number so family would be informed, along with a close friend's number so that HE could go over to the house and let the dogs out and feed hay...no, I no longer have any need to "look" pretty...my brain is too important to risk...EVERY RIDE - WEAR A HELMET!
                    Last edited by RunForIt; Apr. 20, 2010, 05:39 PM.
                    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

Usually the people wearing hunt caps for dressage or for schooling at the show the day before dressage are the very ones that will have their $700 (or however much they cost) Point 2 inflatable vest on for xc the next day. Safety first!

Comment

Originally posted by tigrrlily04 View Post
                        I can see the upper level riders wanting to wear their top hats instead of helmets because of the way it looks (but that's a totally different discussion!).
                        Disagree, quite strongly. The choice is safety over appearance; it does not matter if you are a beginner or our next Olympic hopeful.

Hey, while be driven to my wedding, I chose to wear a seatbelt over my wedding gown. Odds were in my favor that there would not be an accident, but my personal choice is safety over appearance.
                        Chronicles of the $700 Pony
                        The Further Adventures of the $700 Pony
                        www.blithetraveler.com <-- My Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
                          Disagree, quite strongly. The choice is safety over appearance; it does not matter if you are a beginner or our next Olympic hopeful.

Hey, while be driven to my wedding, I chose to wear a seatbelt over my wedding gown. Odds were in my favor that there would not be an accident, but my personal choice is safety over appearance.
                          I was not agreeing with it by any means, which is why I said it was an entirely different discussion (check out the dressage forum thread), but realize how I worded it may have implied otherwise. Many of the FEI dressage riders have stated fashion as their reason for not wearing a helmet, and I was trying to note that the "top hat and tails" argument does not apply here since it's the lower levels. I guess the reason people wear hunt caps is because it's more fashionable or trendy in their minds, but IMO the potential consequences don't outweigh anything else, and honestly I don't like the look and think people wearing hunt caps look like pin-heads. I know people have been riding in hunt caps for years, but I think the reason I was taken aback by what I saw was that there was an abundance of junior riders who had made the decision (with the help of their parents/coaches) not to wear an approved helmet. I get the same feeling when I see a family riding down the street on bicycles and the kids don't have helmets on. Silly.
                          Last edited by tigrrlily04; Apr. 20, 2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I had always assumed that juniors were required to wear approved helmets when mounted. Maybe it's a rule that should be implemented.

Comment

I am always amazed when parents let their kids make bad decisions that could have life altering consequences. Step up and be a parent. Tell your kid "No helmet=No riding." Kids will listen if you are clear, reasonable and give instructions that are easy to figure out. My daughters always knew that their ponies/horses could be gone if I ever caught the kids on them without an approved helmet. I have always been pretty easy going about most things, but helmets on kids are not negotiable in my household. I don't know what those parents were thinking when they bought those useless, apparel only, hunt caps.

Comment

Juniors are required to wear approved helmets up here, however, a lot of them have hunt caps that they crack out when they show in the US. It's interesting really.

Comment

My SO is a bullrider, who is now also starting to ride bareback horses as well. He's fractured his neck and back and broken a few appendages along the way, in addition to having the family jewels stepped on and one of them crushed. I don't dare ask how many concussions he's had. Rarely will he wear a helmet - only on an animal he knows to be especially rank, and even then, maybe not. Last night I watched a horse fall on him and pin his leg. Every day alive, every ride survived is a gift.

You can't make people do anything just by willing them to. If those juniors' parents aren't advocates of every ride, every time, well... the only way you're going to solve that with underage riders is through rule changes.

Comment

I am a huge advocate for helmets, as is my trainer, and always where one whether it be hacking out or jumping, but I still wear a huntcap at competitions for dressage. I think it pulls the whole look together and is much more appealing than my skullcap. Yes, s*it happens. I probably know that more than most since I have had three serious riding accidents, two of which involved Grade II concussions (knocked unconscious/impaired memory). I was wearing an approved helmet in all three accidents. If you care to make a statement by wearing an approved helmet during your dressage tests, go for it, but don't expect people to listen.
                                    Pacific Coast Eventing
                                    Standing Yeager GF

Comment

Hate to say it for fear of back lash, but I completely agree.

Originally posted by SuZQuzie View Post
                                      I am a huge advocate for helmets, as is my trainer, and always where one whether it be hacking out or jumping, but I still wear a huntcap at competitions for dressage. I think it pulls the whole look together and is much more appealing than my skullcap. Yes, s*it happens. I probably know that more than most since I have had three serious riding accidents, two of which involved Grade II concussions (knocked unconscious/impaired memory). I was wearing an approved helmet in all three accidents. If you care to make a statement by wearing an approved helmet during your dressage tests, go for it, but don't expect people to listen.

Comment

I have to agree with those saying you can't make everyone listen. I am an adult and can make my own decisions, thank you very much. So are many riders.

I would agree with a rule requiring juniors to wear a helmet during dressage, although I would perhaps be ok with them wearing a top hat at YR if under 18. Tradition, you see.

I would NOT agree with a rule requiring adults to wear helmets in dressage. I prefer my hunt cap. I'm not sorry, either.

This, to me, is a case of MYOB. If you see someone driving without a seatbelt, do you follow them until they stop and then get out and ask them why they aren't wearing a helmet? If you want to wear your helmet every time, go for it! I'm not stopping you, nor will I make fun of you or belittle you in any way.

So I say to those of you who have stated that you have actually MESSAGED other posters and asked them why they don't wear helmets in dressage... Mind your own business!

And I'd be thrilled if you stopped calling those of us who choose to wear hunt caps idiots or stupid. We ARE aware of the repercussions, thank you. Just as I am aware that even WITH my safety equipment, I still have a chance of serious injury or death going XC. I still choose to do it.

You are free to express your opinion, but please don't actually harass those of us who prefer a more traditional look.

Comment

Working...
                                        X