• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

If you could train with anyone for 10 days, who would it be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could train with anyone for 10 days, who would it be?

I'm going to get 2 weeks all to myself this summer. So very excited!! I've decided to treat myself to a short extended learning experience with my horse. However, I'm having a tough time deciding who I should train with.

Any suggestions for trainers that exel in this type of an extended clinic situation (someone that can impart vasts amounts of knowledge in a short period)? I was thinking I'd take lessons every other day for 10-12 days, leaving 2-3 days for trailering. I can make it to most locations in area II, III, and VIII. Also, I'm hoping to move up to training level with this particular horse (horse has some experience at training, but I've not gone above novice with him).

I bet Boyd and Silva Martin would be great in this type of situation, in part because if one leaves to compete, the other is usually around. Also, if they can accommodate your horse (space is sometimes tight) you will have use of the True Prospect facilities. You would also be in Unionville so that's always fun (although I'm biased!). The downside is probably that they will be expensive and you will need to check to see what their competition schedule is like at the time that you want to go. Also, if you plan it right, you might be able to move up to training at the end of your stay (at a competition nearby like Plantation or Fair Hill).

I am SO jealous! What a fun idea!!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

Jim Graham would be perfect for you at your level with your aspirations. He has a nice farm and is a wonderful teacher.

Comment

What about Denny? I did one of his camps last spring, and it was awesome! I stayed for a few days after and took more lessons with him. I'm sure he could accomodate you for two weeks and you would learn SO MUCH from him!
        TPR!
        Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
        www.goodhorse.org

Comment

I agree with the idea to do a camp-- you can enjoy the maeraderie of other students and get a full immersion experience.

LAZ is holding an eventing camp in Indiana in July with Dorothy Crowell, Peter Atkins, and Holly Hepp-Hudspeth-- if you PM her your email she will send you the info.
          SportHorseRiders.com
          Taco Blog
          *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

Wow! I didn't know the lineup LAZ got together! Holy cow, Batman! What a great bunch that is! Wish I could be there (impossible at the moment for me to do anything remotely resembling a camp away from home with my horses along...but I can dream!) Good on ya, LAZ. Cookie Pony are you going? Whose gonna take pictures and blog it?
            Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
            Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

camp

I have done the Denny camp and 2 Eric Horgan camps. I can not say enough about the experience!! Very inspiring to be emerged in eventing with like minded folk. Not to mention the caliber of instruction. If you could do a camp, plus a week with that particular instructor you would probably catapult your riding/training into the next level. I am planning on some more "camping" this summer. Good luck!!

LFC...........pass it on!!
              Susan
              http://community.webshots.com/user/ss3777
              www.longformatclub.com

Comment

They do a 5 day "camp" @ True Prospect every summer ... thats where Id be if I had the $$$ ... $2200 for 5 days, includes private lessons w/ Phillip Dutton and Silva Martin, a chance for Phillip Dutton to school your horse, meals, stabling, lots of seminars, etc etc ... I believe its the end of June/beginning of July this year ... and it ends right before Plantation Fields HT/ST if Im not mistaken ... Id do the camp then stay in PA to test out your new found skills lol!!!!!

Comment

Give Kim Severson a try. The farm is in the middle of no where, but there is a possibility that there may be a bedroom open you can rent for a couple weeks if Kim is available. You might be surprised and find that two weeks there is much more reasonably priced than elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
                    Wow! I didn't know the lineup LAZ got together! Holy cow, Batman! What a great bunch that is! Wish I could be there (impossible at the moment for me to do anything remotely resembling a camp away from home with my horses along...but I can dream!) Good on ya, LAZ. Cookie Pony are you going? Whose gonna take pictures and blog it?
                    I will be living there at the time this camp is going on and although I dont think i will be able to participate, I am going to try to get a ton of pictures and Ill try to post everything I see!!! Hopefully I will sell my horse before then and I can have the extra money to ride in the camp!
                    *Paige*
                    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
                    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

It will be hot down south, but I second Jim Graham (assuming that he is on the farm - he travels a fair bit for judging and clinics, so you would want to check his schedule).

Hilda Donahue would be great for a situation like this. You could ride horses other than yours at her farm, thereby being able to gain even more experience.

Jessica and Missy Ransehousen. Great training, great farm and like Boyd and Silva Martin, at least one of them almost always home and both fabulous teachers.

If you want to go less "big" name, Debi Crowley in Alabama is a great teacher and has a very nice set up where she is, Danny Warrington is near Fair Hill, so there is a lot of opportunity to school there if you ride with him, Susie Beale at Cairn O'Mount Stables at Radnor will do a two week eventing camp starting July 26th that should be very good. There are also trainers that I know less well, but think highly of like Amy Wise-Riddle and Sharon White.

At your level (and this is not meant in any way to be snarky), you may actually get more benefit from someone that is spending a larger percentage of their teaching time with folks who ride at the lower levels as their teaching styles may be a better match and they would more likely have other students you could ride with and lessons you could watch to up the experience.
                      OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I'll add on to scubed's post: second Debi Crowley and Jim Graham...oh, for a week or two with either would be heaven for all three phases. BUT, do give Lellie Ward a call. She owns Paradise Farm in Aiken SC and the facilities are simply incredible...the XC course alone is reason to train there. And then there is Lellie...personality has no equal, but the training is the same. Very similar to what you would get training with Lucinda for a week or two. You need to be ready though for reality - no coddling will happen; just the very best, most analyzed "this is what you and YOUR horse need at this moment" training by a person who gives her all for Rolex AND the next weekend's BN course...also ICP Level III certfied....I'm heading for Lellie as soon as I can throw a leg over a horse againl

Last but waaayy not least, please think about and call Mary Bess Sigman in Covington, GA. Bessie is an upper level eventer, upper level caring horse person, and genuninely one of the most helpful, FUN, smart, talented, (no we aren't officially, genetically related, but I do claim her to be part of my family) trainers you will ever be lucky enough to meet. Plus, she has a group of eventers from age 14 or so to age 60 (60 counting me, 63 ? counting her Daddy) who are successful at BN - Intermediate...PM me for all contact info.

I am officially ENVIOUS!!! Have a great time!!!!
                        Last edited by RunForIt; Apr. 18, 2010, 09:29 PM.
                        ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

ooh. I forgot about Bessie and Lellie, but second the endorsements, though the personalities and teaching styles are somewhat different
                          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Originally posted by scubed View Post
                            ooh. I forgot about Bessie and Lellie, but second the endorsements, though the personalities and teaching styles are somewhat different
                            quite...though Bessie worked with Lellie a bunch as a kid.

Scubed, you need to come to PTF advanced next year when CP and I go over!!! or come up/down(?) here for an event or clinic!
                            ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

Originally posted by <3myTBlivesINmySOUL<3 View Post
                              They do a 5 day "camp" @ True Prospect every summer ... thats where Id be if I had the $$$ ... $2200 for 5 days, includes private lessons w/ Phillip Dutton and Silva Martin, a chance for Phillip Dutton to school your horse, meals, stabling, lots of seminars, etc etc ... I believe its the end of June/beginning of July this year ... and it ends right before Plantation Fields HT/ST if Im not mistaken ... Id do the camp then stay in PA to test out your new found skills lol!!!!!
                              OMG!!!!!!!!!! 2200 for 5days?!!!!!! really? I'm sorry, I've been out of it for awhile, but was considering the David/Karen O. clinic @ Holly Hill for 4 days @ 600.00. Decided that was a lot for my beg. nov. horse, but now I may reconsider
                              "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

Lol... I was thinking the same thing. One could have a weeks private lessons with many BNT's for way less. Though I believe they said that it included stabling and all your food for the 5 days. Depending on if the stabling is on grounds or not it's really not as outrageous as it sounds once you add up the costs of holding the clinic and feeding everyone, etc.

Originally posted by Toadie's mom View Post
                                OMG!!!!!!!!!! 2200 for 5days?!!!!!! really? I'm sorry, I've been out of it for awhile, but was considering the David/Karen O. clinic @ Holly Hill for 4 days @ 600.00. Decided that was a lot for my beg. nov. horse, but now I may reconsider
                                "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

Another vote for Kim Severson- most likely much more reasonably priced than you would expect, and there could be an on-farm place for you to stay. Even though its not a "camp" there are plenty of other people that are there for a week or so at a time, and her regular students. As far as the instruction goes- it will be the 2 most educational weeks of your life, seriously.

Comment

Another vote for Jim Graham and David Adamo at Meadow Run Farm in Alabama. They have a good set up for this sort of situation, with housing for you and your horse and good facility. They both give a lot to their teaching.
                                    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

What great suggestions:
                                      Jim Graham
                                      Denny Emerson
                                      Eric Horgan
                                      Kim Severson
                                      LAZ's lineup of Dorothy Crowell, Holly Hudspeth, Peter Adkins
                                      Phillip Dutton
                                      David and Karen O'Connor
                                      Deb Crowley
                                      Lellie Ward
                                      Mary Bess Sigman
                                      Hilda Donahue
                                      Jessica and Missy Ransehousen

And Big Russ really ought to mention the NAME, Bruce Davidson. (Is he going to give a weekend clinic this year? I want to put it on my calendar in big red letters.)

We are really fortunate in America to have such really top end people available by just an email or phone call. Lots of the folks on that list have competed at the very highest levels of the sport and have much knowledge about horses and horsemanship. The knowledge bank there is immense.

To immerse yourself for a week in a barn run by one of these people would truly be a lifetime's experience.

I so envy you, and you've given me a lot of inspiration by reading this thread to keep riding and getting fit so I can do something like a week-long clinic this year! How fun!
                                      Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                                      Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I have to vote for Jim Graham also. I went there for a long weekend a few years ago when I dropped off a horse I sold to one of his students and had a blast riding. I wish I could afford to take off and go for a week or two and just ride and ride. Sigh.....

Bobbi
                                        Bobbi
                                        ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
                                        ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Comment

Working...
                                        X