• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Elysian Hills Horse trials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elysian Hills Horse trials

Anyone go there? Comments, how are the jumps, water complex etc.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

No, But i was thinking about doing it as a first BN event with a pony this summer, so ill be interested to hear what people have to say. I do recall hearing somewhere that they used to have a recognized event there so i dont know how much of their courses are leftover from that, if it is in fact the case...

Comment

I went a couple of times, long ago, when it was still a recognized event. It would take too long to list the problems I had with it, so suffice it to say I wouldn't go.

Still, there may be others who have been recently and can attest that it's turned around since I was last there.

Comment

I went when it was a recognized and I vowed to NEVER set foot on the place again, and will stick to that vow. I cant speak to how it is now.

Christan
        www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

Could either of you expand on what your issues were? was it safety related of more of an orgazational thing? PM me if you would like.
          Thanks!
          (sorry OP not trying to hijack you thread! i too am just curious!)

Comment

I TOTALLY agree with fergs and Christian. There is no way I would ever go there again. Courses are VERY trappy, footings suspect, dressage rings are iffy, warm ups are even iffier. Show jumping is funky...that's just what I remember right off the top of my head. I am always surprised to hear that it is still holding events!
            Amanda

Comment

I seriously cant even begin to tell you the horror of my experience at this event. We hauled 6 hours to get there, only to be told that my stall wouldnt be available until that night....mind you I had a stallion and it was already the afternoon. But they had their horses in the stalls all day. The horse had to sit on the trailer for an additional 3 hours.Then, they put him next to mares!!! When I complained, the TD who was friends with the owner, took it upon herself to literally harass me all weekend.
              After I was done with my dressage test on the young stallion, the TD stopped me by the ring and told me she needed to check my bit, but I had to remove my bridle for her to do so (I had already had a bit check). She would not let me go back to my trailer to get a halter, or I would be eliminated. I was on a STALLION in the middle of warm-up. I finally had to get another competitor to go to my trailer and get my halter (since we couldnt use the stalls during the day...their horses were back in them). No kidding! She wouldnt even let me walk over near the trailer, which was parked in the same field as the warm-up and could be clearly seen from where we were. Think 3 times the length of a dressage arena away....
              Dressage was in a very deep ring on a hill so you couldnt even go around the outside of it.
              Then, the TD literally followed beside me and my horse on XC the entire way around. She was beside me in the start box and drove her golf cart parallel to my horse the whole way around.
              The warm-up was in pastures on the sides of hills for all 3 phases. The show jumping was halfway in the sand arena and seriously half way out on grass...and there was a little bank around the arena so you had to go in and out during the course over the bank. The jumps were falling down, the footing was awful. I just cant tell you the nightmare. Oh, and we were camping in our trailer, but the owner came and told us that there was no camping allowed (no hookups needed by us...literally sleeping on a matress in the top of the GN) and if we didnt leave the property we would be eliminated. Of course there were no hotels with rooms available and we ended up with a kitchen part of a suit with only the couch to stay on.
              I will say that we did later get that TD's license revoked, but in part because she violated rules with other competitors at the same event. It was the worst experience of my life. I was running the prelim there. There is even more I dont want to try to remember sadly....

Christan
              www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

Sadly, Christan's experience does not surprise me in the least. I haven't been there in years and will never go back. The footing for warm-ups and stadium is terrible, and the XC course is wonky.

Add that to the strange behavior of the owner . . . . Last time I was there, my friend's 5-year-old daughter and little friend were eating their hamburgers under the porch roof of the little cabin. It was pouring rain, and the owner made them move out from under the porch--no one allowed to stand there--so they had to eat their lunch in the downpour. What the hell is up with that?

Comment

thank you for a heads up! that is crazy...im always astounded by peoples 'horror stories'.

Comment

ditto!

I've always heard the same, though, I never went.
                    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

It reminds me very much of the eventing I grew up with (15 years ago in Vermont), as opposed to the area 2 of today. It's very rustic, not groomed, and not organized.

I didn't find novice to be that uninviting. The T/P each had a few odd jumps. I think the fences themselves are a bit improved since the recognized days, the footing not.

The dressage, as others said, you circle inside not outside (I kind of viewed this as an advantage though . . . ). And the s-j is not inviting at all--it's weirdly sited and the bank on it doesn't ride well.

If you go, it really has to be viewed as a schooling opportunity. Go very slow.
                      You are allowed to skip jumps, jump other levels' fences, ride x-c a second time, ride x-c if you get E s-j. etc. So, it saves you the risk of taking a baby and getting eliminated early. You will get your schooling money's worth.

But it is a lot hairier than most current events, even schooling events. It's sort of hard to fit it into the current eventing scene, with so many more modern choices.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, so I'm not going there. . .

Comment

Take a look at www.vahorsetrials.com for schooling events. It's always a safe bet.

I'm doing a CT at Touch Point farm in Madison this Sun.
                          It's pretty good. The stadium is in a hilly pasture so you get some 'derby' time.
                          Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

i have had good luck w/ the VA horse trials events, so i guess ill just stick to what i know works! thanks! And i too really like touch point for their hilly stadium field!

Comment

Christan's story beats mine by a mile! OMG.

I went to the first event they had there, and when we walked the XC on Friday evening, they were still painting the SJ fences. The rails were still wet the next day when competition began.

The XC course also ran across the driveway, and at several points throughout the day the person stationed there went AWOL, and so we saw some near-misses. The fences were incredibly trappy, some borderline dangerous. (Anyone remember the T/P canoe you had to jump into the water, which was literally a pond with 2-foot deep mud as the base??)

Between that and the (sorry, I'm going to say it) pretty psychotic behavior of the owner, we swore it off and weren't sorry to see it lose USEA recognized status.

Comment

The jumps werent even painted at all when I was there!!!
                                www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
                                  Take a look at www.vahorsetrials.com for schooling events. It's always a safe bet.

I'm doing a CT at Touch Point farm in Madison this Sun.
                                  It's pretty good. The stadium is in a hilly pasture so you get some 'derby' time.
                                  I actually really like that little CT. I wish it wasn't probably a 2 hour drive for us now, as I would go way more often!

Fergs, we had a very nice, experienced little prelim horse fall at that canoe. Thankfully, he walked away just a little muddy and his rider only sprained her ankle. He had jumped around some pretty big courses in Ireland, but took a HUGE look at the question, and being a good little Irishman, he attempted to slither over.
                                  Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

I pulled up Touch Point and will try and do some of the next ones. Too late for this weekend and I haven't been home in a while.

Comment

Huh, well that's good to know. I was looking at doing CTs and unrecognized HTs, as I'm stinkin' broke, and I had wondered about Elysian. Thanks for the info, and the OP's original question.
                                      Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

I've heard this "in spades"

The fences were incredibly trappy, some borderline dangerous. (Anyone remember the T/P canoe you had to jump into the water, which was literally a pond with 2-foot deep mud as the base??)

Between that and the (sorry, I'm going to say it) pretty psychotic behavior of the owner, we swore it off and weren't sorry to see it lose USEA recognized status.
                                        breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

Working...
                                        X