• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Stoic mouth" pony - bit choices (opinions wanted)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stoic mouth" pony - bit choices (opinions wanted)

I purchased a pony back in mid December as a schooling project. He is about 12.3 and built a lot like a Welsh Cob.

History may help explain, sellers kids rode him a little, as a family I believe they did cow type events, rodeos etc. Said the kids didn't want to ride him any more and liked the 'big horses'. Pony is about 6/7 years old. THEY got him the year before when their neighbor was riding him home drunk from the local horse auction at 2:am. :-P

When I test rode him he was VERY balky. Lordy getting him to move was a chore. ;-)

Got him home and realized he HATED going to the right which made the balking worse. A tap of the crop cleard the air but then he produced another 'nasty' - slamming on the brakes (reining style I might ad). His seller said "he is very athletic". ;-)

Anyhow - spent 2 weeks doing ground and then started lunge work establishing some voice commands (specifically WHOA, 'easy' which translate to half halt, walk, trot, canter). TERRIBLE temper tantrum when trying to lunge to the right (stop and spin, run off bucking etc).

So I've been spending the past 3ish months getting him to just walk and trot relaxed (in hand, on lunge, and under saddle). Thats it.

I have started taking him out to a local trail park that is 'walk only' and has very steep hills and twisty turns. Let him do practically the entire 3 miles on a loopy rein with out much assistance, and he is very sure footed.

Unlike other horses I have ridden I don't think this is a balance issue, and I think he is fit enough now to just hack around the riding arena for 45 minutes doing walk trot.

I think he just has a lot of 'bad paint' that needs to be taken off.

So far he is learning to come down into the bit, has decided he kind of likes 'long and low' (though it is more of a posture he chooses and not so much of a 'I am placed thru the aids into long & low'). He has learned the basic concept of turn on the forehand, and basic half halt at the walk (thru my aids and the voice).

However - he still has his temper tantrums. At the drop of a hat he can decide "This pony has run out of quarters" or "Heck no I'm not going to the right!". Its getting less, its gotten leaps and bounds better on the lunge, but riding he can still toss this in.

He has an apt with the vet in 3 weeks so I'll have his teeth checked, and I don't see anything as far as obvious lameness. I think he was just 'soured' and 'spoiled'.

But to my question - now that I have said "NO" to the balking, when ever I triumph over that evasion he goes "FINE, you want to go? LETS GO!" and will start cantering, and cantering, and cantering... and honestly, he just is not easy to influence (laugh, yeah I am 120 pounds and 5'5" but he is a SOLID chap!).

I don't have many bits in my tack room for a pony of a small cobby size so I'm going to order one or two and thought I'd ask here first what others might try before I spent the money.

I am riding him now in a D ring JP french link (its the only bit I have aside from a loose ring that will fit him).

The other day I got the idea to ride him with his bit AND a mechanical hackamore - and boy oh boy did that put an end to that behavior. He started to have a fit and picked up a canter, I just picked up the hack reins, dropped the snaffle reins, and asked him to stop and there was no pulling, no 'water skiing' on the reins... he came to a stop, and I released the reins and we kept walking.

I feel like I'm not asking him to do anything difficult, at this stage all I want is walk and trot around the arena, big circles, for about 40-45 minutes worth of work. Easy. I just want very basic safe obedience. And I feel like the more he does this behavior and I have to resort to literally pulling on the reins the more ingrained it will become.

So - I think a slightly firmer bit is in line.

He is not hot, he is not spooky, nor is he 'sensitive'. Actually, I think he is lazy and has a tremendious work ethic problem.
    ;-) No bucking, no head flinging, just a very dull 'nothing' at the end of the reins when he decides to have these temper tantrums.

Any bit suggestions to help out with the rest of his educational process?
    A Starting Point Stables Angier, NC | http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angier...37164249658446

Honestly? I think you're exactly on the right track with the "regular" bit that you want him to respond to, with the hackamore available "as needed".

More bit 100% of the time for behavior that happens 5% of the time = a horse that simply becomes tolerant of "more bit". What do you do when that happens?
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Have you tried a nose piece like a half-breed or a kineton? I have a great nose piece from a cowboy out in Nebraska of all places. It is metal and squared off and only comes into play on the nose when the horse blows through about 3-5 lbs of pressure on the bit (you can kind of adjust it yourself).

It is slightly thin and kind of trains the horse to listen to your mild bit cues. But if he blows through those cues, the nose piece engages. It isn't really super harsh. I've put my hand under it along the bridge of the nose and engaged the piece on my fingers. It's more uncomfortable and just something you want to move away from. I've heard (from the cowboy) that a few eventers/showjumpers have started picking up on his piece as a little bit of "insurance."

I like it for insurance, but also for re-educating or educating a horse on the bit. It worked great for my own mare who was super worried about the bit. It wouldn't let the bit collapse or hurt her bars so she became less worried and started to actually understand what the pressure meant.

(hope that makes sense)

His video for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dz0PphPAmk

Comment

• Original Poster

Deltawave thanks for the reply.

For me keeping track of the hack reins feels very clumsy - and if I ride double reins I have to have the hack rein loose enough due to the shanks so they are not applying a dull constant pressure. It is kind of ON or OFF. So I feel like in that split second it takes me to shorten up on the hack rein to apply the 'naughty pony brakes' I've lost the moment where I feel it coming and am having to correct him 3rd or 4th stride into his canter (or even stomping off power trot) instead of nipping it in the bud.

I was thinking something more of a cork-screw or even a waterford mouth piece - something I can have a 'soft' but 'there' contact (even just a light floating presence) with that would also give me the ability to immediately pick up more of a presence vs fumbling around with the hack reins. Since I am not a rein-surfer (probably what caused this in him to begin with), I know when I have 3X more bit and to ride him appropriately when he is being polite.

And of course a bit more bit is just to get thru a 'breaking that habit' process and not a long term piece of hardware.

:-)

HA its been a long time since I've ridden an equine that had so much bad paint. I normally ride all my guys in the the JP mouth pieces
        and have lost all opinion of other bits, hence me asking.
        A Starting Point Stables Angier, NC | http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angier...37164249658446

Comment

• Original Poster

AzuWish - I had actually thought about a sidepull... hmmmmm....

Comment

Seriously, try the cowboy's nose piece. It's cheaper than most you'll find ($25) and he'll refund your money if you don't like it and want to return it. He's slightly coarse around the edges and thinks showing is silly (and just about everything that isn't ranch riding lol), but the darn things are awesome.

I feel like I've become a personal spokesperson for him or something haha

Comment

Pelham with two reins?
              Big Idea Eventing

Comment

SNAP ! Just what I was going to suggest. I love the pelham with two reins for exactly this. The contrast between 'No' on the curb rein, and 'yes that's fine' on just the snaffle is big and clear. But it doesn't solve the problem if you really don't like working it two reins. I find that without gloves, I have enough range of motion in my 4th finger, (or maybe it's the third, but let's not get picky) that I can go from slack to on, without having to fumble around picking the reins up.

Comment

OP- I purchased a pony 1 1/2 years ago. Started his life doing barrels and such, but he didn't do well as he was too hot for the work with a young rider. He then was sold to a spunky young rider who used him as a lower level event pony. He learned lots of fun/bad habits in his years there. I bought him and have been using him as my hunt mount.
                  He's in his 20's, so has had many years to engrain lots of bad habits.

List of habits
                  1. Any leg, no matter how slight means get the he** out of dodge
                  2. Gallop to jumps, STOP, jump, Gallop away from jumps
                  3. Halts, on his whim, could be smooth, non-existent, or jolting, bounce you out of the tack immediate halts.
                  4. Always inverted
                  5. Race into a canter(really a hand gallop) Extended trot/canter/extended trot canter/extended trot finally down into a trot.

Things that helped
                  1. Lots of transitions from walk to halt, walk to trot to walk to halt.
                  2. Lots of walk, halt, back, turn on the haunches trot away.
                  3. Lots of circles, spirals, serpentines
                  4. NO CANTER WORK for months He had to forget about speed
                  5. Riding with out reins. I'd set the pace, lets say trot, and ride without reins. If he went faster, either in a trot or picked up a canter, I'd pick up my reins lightly and ask for a circle. We'd stay on that circle until he slowed to my desired pace. Back to no reins. REPEAT often. Same thing in the canter
                  6. Lots of grid work for jumping, so that I could push him, instead of hold back
                  7. I tried out lots of different bits and found that he actually went better in a french link snaffle with a flash. Bitting up actually mad him madder and more resistant to work. TRUST was much more important.
                  8. Placed a neck strap on him (old stirrup leather adjusted to fit his neck). If he got quick, I'd try to rebalance him with my seat first, then my seat and a tug on the neck strap, if he still was quick, I'd then use my reins. He was very resentful of the bit. By using this warning system, he knew what was coming and knew he had a chance to fix it before the bit would be used.
                  9. Rubs and massages and treats when he did a REALLY good job. Walking on a loose rein when he got the right answer, but not an amazing jump forward in out progress. Making him want to search for the right answer and become a partner with me was difficult because he was such a stoic pony, but well worth the effort to find his buttons.

I am only able to school him 1-2 times a week and hunted him 1 time a week. He has made tremendous progress, much more pleasurable to ride. It took 8 months to get there, but without consistent work and age, I think he's done wonderfully well.

Comment

Well, since you said that most of his issues stem from him going to the right, I might suggest a chiro eval as well. It sounds like something might be zinging him somewhere! Certainly doesn't help the attitude when something is biting you, you know? Don't have any other bit suggestions that haven't already been suggested, though.
                    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                    X