• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fair Hill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Hill

Hey Kids-
    Does anyone have an idea as to whether the April Fair Hill is a good move-up-to-Training event? As usual, the Omnibus says, "Average for horses with some experience".
    Thanks....
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

April Fair Hill has varied a bit from year to year. Unlike other Fair Hills, SJ is usually down in the dirt rings, so don't have to worry about the footing. However, I think they use the bank at training, which is pretty tough and the water has been variable in the past several years. I don't trust the weather and don't really like shows held over three days, so I usually volunteer.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I haven't been to Fair Hill in 2 years or so...but I don't think I ever ran a course there that I would have loved as a moveup...They can use the bank which is big and looky (in a grove of trees-- can include a turning question, jump down, turn to jump nestled in trees), there is a mound jump (which rides great, but is worth knowing about), the half coffin can be quite large, and sometimes the water is tough...

I think of them as real "on the level" Trainings. I can't say that I've done the April one for sure, though, so not sure how helpful this is!
      The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I guess it depends on what you mean by a move up course....

I would not hesitate to move up most horses there as I find their xc course a good one for galloping and building confidence. But it will be a legit training level....not a beefy novice.

There can be a significant drop into water...multiple steps down or up...an Irish bank...a log on a mound...and some turning and/or accuracy questions. But nothing that isn't a training level question.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Not to hijack..

But anyone have info on using Fair Hill May event as move up to Prelim? I do like the course and know it's got lots of gallop, but any info would be good, thanks..
          http://www.windsweptfarmllc.com

Comment

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
            Hey Kids-
            Does anyone have an idea as to whether the April Fair Hill is a good move-up-to-Training event? As usual, the Omnibus says, "Average for horses with some experience".
            Thanks....
            Oh Pol please come to the starter trial in May!! I know you guys are beyond that but I am competing!!!!!! I will need tons of people to cheer me on. I'm just hoping I fit in! Obviously we won't be going any faster than a nice rhythmic canter on x-country so the wind doesn't mess up my hunter hair
            Originally posted by JSwan
            Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
            Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Tap2Tango View Post
              Oh Pol please come to the starter trial in May!! I know you guys are beyond that but I am competing!!!!!! I will need tons of people to cheer me on. I'm just hoping I fit in! Obviously we won't be going any faster than a nice rhythmic canter on x-country so the wind doesn't mess up my hunter hair
              Me me me!! It will be my second event ever and I'm dragging along a good friend, too-- it will be her first. I did the starter trial at Fair Hill last September and had a BLAST!!
              *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tap2Tango View Post
                Oh Steph!! We can't do the starter, we're heading home from Aiken, timed to do the Horse Trials on the way. As for the hair, you can go much faster on XC if you wear 2 hair nets!!! Remember to take off the standing martingale and you'll be just fine!

Comment

Fair Hill courses are true for the levels. But, if you have schooled and are confident at training level questions (as another poster mentioned) the course will roll along nicely! They do flow very well, you can actually get up to speed and stay there! Only at maybe one or two combinations will you have to jump-turn-jump-go-turn-jump kind of stuff. I would have to say it is one of the last of its kind.... the good old galloping, forward, asks tough questions, but confident building courses out there.

I have always come off their courses feeling really good about the courses. My horses are always feeling very confident on them as well.

Comment

Pol, dare I hope that you are aiming for a certain competition in August?

And congrats on your pony's great successes!
                    They don't call me frugal for nothing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
                      Pol, dare I hope that you are aiming for a certain competition in August?

And congrats on your pony's great successes!
                      If only I could stop FALLING OFF..............

Comment

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
                        Oh Steph!! We can't do the starter, we're heading home from Aiken, timed to do the Horse Trials on the way. As for the hair, you can go much faster on XC if you wear 2 hair nets!!! Remember to take off the standing martingale and you'll be just fine!
                        Do you know what day you will be competing? I would be happy to drive up for the day and play groom!!! I'll be riding a sale horse for a friend who is actually and eventer and will be packing my butt around. It's been YEARS since I've done an event so Emstah is going to give me some fashion advice. Oh and don't worry, I ALWAYS double up on hairnets! How else do you think I can achieve perfect hunter hair!!
                        Originally posted by JSwan
                        Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
                        Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Guyot View Post
                          But anyone have info on using Fair Hill May event as move up to Prelim? I do like the course and know it's got lots of gallop, but any info would be good, thanks..

Can't give you too much insight...but thinking I might move one of mine up at that event as well...so if you do, you may not be the only one I last did it in 2007...straight forward but a true prelim. Coffin with narrows but it rode well. There is a BIG trakenher (sp?) that they can use. Usually one or two bank questions...often with a turning question or portable jump incorporated with it. Water is usually a jump one or two strides to a decent bank in....but the water changes a lot from event to event.

basically...a true to the level Prelim but it often rides really well because you can get a good flow with your gallop.
                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                            Can't give you too much insight...but thinking I might move one of mine up at that event as well...so if you do, you may not be the only one I last did it in 2007...straight forward but a true prelim. Coffin with narrows but it rode well. There is a BIG trakenher (sp?) that they can use. Usually one or two bank questions...often with a turning question or portable jump incorporated with it. Water is usually a jump one or two strides to a decent bank in....but the water changes a lot from event to event.

basically...a true to the level Prelim but it often rides really well because you can get a good flow with your gallop.
                            Soooo, bfne, speak to me of this "Big Trakehner". I am thinking of doing the August FH with HRH, IF she continues to come along this year. (She is sound, back to work, doing some competitions and schoolings--but Prelim is still a ways away. She may have no issues as I start jumping bigger stuff--she feels great!--but that remains to be seen.)

I would love to get more details about the P course there, and I plan to try to get up there and do a schooling day at some point. TIA!
                            "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                              Soooo, bfne, speak to me of this "Big Trakehner". I am thinking of doing the August FH with HRH, IF she continues to come along this year. (She is sound, back to work, doing some competitions and schoolings--but Prelim is still a ways away. She may have no issues as I start jumping bigger stuff--she feels great!--but that remains to be seen.)

I would love to get more details about the P course there, and I plan to try to get up there and do a schooling day at some point. TIA!

I think it is a little harder in some ways then the one at Morven that you and I schooled last spring (on the CCI* course). The one at Morven has a level approach and is framed by the trees (jumping from one field into the next). The newer one at Fair Hill that I'm thinking about is out in the middle of the field....last year in April they came at it going down a hill (although it levels out before the jump). It isn't an unfair huge thing...it is still a Prelim fence with in the Prelim specs....but it made me glad Boyd was jumping my mare over it instead of me (even though I schooled her over the one at Morven!).

On the horse I'm about to move up....he could easily trot it so as long as *I* remember to ride the horse that I'm sitting on and let him do his job...it should be fine.

It isn't always on the course. I don't know if it was on the May course last year but it was on the April course.

Here is a picture of Boyd jumping it with my mare...the one you saw me schooling at Morven on. She did say no once but then jumped it well...she's a bit of a tricky ride. Someone without Trakenher issues will have no issue with the fence.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...43&po=43&pc=88
                              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 26, 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks, bfne!

That actually looks more welcoming that the one at Morven (less like a "big dark hole" ), though it IS a big honking thing! Nice wide face, though. (asterix should weigh in on whether IHO it's more or less intimidating-looking than the one at Oatlands...)

Any other insights about the P course? (sorry to hijack the thread, RiverBendPol!) Any ditch and walls on it? Any narrow V skinnies with layered brush? These are the only other things Her Majesty has ever peeked at; she is generally *very* good with technical questions and water, ditches, banks, steps, etc., and is nifty with the skinnies.

Any big square tables?
                                "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                                  Any other insights about the P course? (sorry to hijack the thread, RiverBendPol!) Any ditch and walls on it? Any narrow V skinnies with layered brush? These are the only other things Her Majesty has ever peeked at; she is generally *very* good with technical questions and water, ditches, banks, steps, etc., and is nifty with the skinnies.

Any big square tables?

Funny...I always think they jump jumps easier that are in tree lines.....less likely to run out

There is a ditch and brush fence that they can use sometimes....it rides well. There are few different bank type jumps including a double step jump that can be jumped up or down often with a portable or log added. There is a log on a mound jump....also an Irish bank with a pretty decent ditch (can jump it either way) and a log on top. Several tables. I think the prelim coffin has one of the arrow head jumps you are talking about....but don't really remember...that could have been the intermediate one. The Prelim coffin there does ride really well.

Basically...what I'm saying is the courses at Fair Hill are extremely flexible (especially at Prelim and below). There are many various tracks they can lay out...with lots of different options. It is why that event is a favorite for many...you are not just jumping the same course over and over with minor variations. It also is why that is a great place to school xc when it is open for schooling.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post

Ahhh, I was actually thinking about it today for Vernon and I. It's either that or Waredaca, if anything.
                                    Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                    X