• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

EXO vs Point Two Air vest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXO vs Point Two Air vest

I've noticed a lot of discussion about these vests after the falls at Pine Top this weekend and I would just like to set the record straight about these vests....1st off, I do not in any way represent Point Two...But I do think it is the single best piece of safety equipment to come along since the helmet ! The air vest is quick enough opening that it will significantly reduce your impact with the ground as well as absorb impact from a horse landing on you...It also has a very good neck support system...The EXO (no longer in production btw) does pose a very real whiplash threat. The metal cage will collapse and thus dissipate energy from the impact of a horse landing on you...However as some may think, the frame disintegrates (breaks), it DOES NOT DISSOLVE OR TURN TO DUST....In its original form the EXO would not pass beta testing...Only after it was mated with a standard safety vest to help combat the threat of a broken frame piece penetrating the body did it pass...IMO this is the reason not to wear one....Also the weight of the vest is significant and has been known to actually contribute to riders falling because of the inertia created by the added weight.(much like the early SEI helmets were known to have contributed to smaller riders and kids falling when they got ahead of the motion)...As for the cost of the Point Two, we are sharing them within our barn whenever possible until everyone can get their own...

Please tell me you're a shill for Point Two and not as misguided and misinformed as your post indicates.

Comment

Paging RAyers...

Also, someone posted this link on another thread, which I think is a good read for anyone on either side of the debate:
      http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...5/fpart/1/vc/1
      Last edited by FrittSkritt; Mar. 3, 2010, 01:34 PM. Reason: added H&H link
      Road to the T3D
      Translation
      fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
      skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Comment

I've no opinion on the safety of the Exo, but I saw the Point Two in Florida recently and I'm considering getting one; I think it's intriguing. I read through the whole Horse-and-Hound debate, and thought that parts of it were interesting and parts just stupid--from seeing the P2 up close and seeing how it's worn, I don't think, for example, that there is any way possible its inflation could cause internal injury. I wish there was more science and less anecdote about it. I'd especially like to see any kind of study regarding the effect that being tethered to the saddle has on the trajectory of the fall.

I'm very curious as to whether any of the riders injured at Pine Top was wearing a Point 2. And what type of falls were they? I've seen both Jan and Rebecca's falls described as "rotational," but haven't heard a word on Karen's.

Comment

tomac, as a professor in the Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department at the Colorado School of Mines who teaches fundamental materials engineering and their applications, I can easily state that your post contains a glaringly LARGE number of factual errors and misconceptions.

I will assume since you said, "As for the cost of the Point Two, we are sharing them within our barn whenever possible until everyone can get their own... " like most professional trainers/barn owners/riders, you are showing true ignorance to what and how safety devices function.

I am tired of folks making unfounded and unsubstantiated assessments of equipment.

Please present the data or studies that prove your BELIEF because as you write that is what it is.

I will say this, any device requiring a mechanical trigger to function also has ADDED a point of FAILURE for the device to NOT work. The P2 vest is NOT a FAIL-SAFE design. It is a FAIL-DANGEROUS design. There is a REASON why jockeys are NOT allowed to wear P2 vests.

Reed

Comment

The reason the EXO has not been a massive success has to be partly because of people like tomac who scare-monger. Seriously, if the Exo had been given to all the pros, I wonder if it might have been more successful.

ETA: Since when did production of the Exo end? I'd like a link for that, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by tomac View Post
              The air vest is quick enough opening that it will significantly reduce your impact with the ground as well as absorb impact from a horse landing on you..
              Please describe how you come to this assessment? Were there load cells attached to the body to measure impact forces? How does this compare to other vests? Was at any time an analysis of a horse landing on a person conducted? What are the impact forces exerted on the body during a rotational fall?

..It also has a very good neck support system.
              How so? Does this mean that compressive loads imparted on the head are then transferred to the spine?

The EXO (no longer in production btw) does pose a very real whiplash threat.
              Proven how? How does this compare to other vests on the market? As far as I understand the vest is still in production with all proceeds going to the BE injured riders fund.

The metal cage will collapse and thus dissipate energy from the impact of a horse landing on you...However as some may think, the frame disintegrates (breaks), it DOES NOT DISSOLVE OR TURN TO DUST.
              Uh, you obviously have no idea about the mechanical and material properties of magnesium. Now, using YOUR mental ideas, I will ask you this, if a Mg frame is SO bad why is it used EXTENSIVELY as a frame for super cars and race cars? Hmmm... It must have some AMAZING impact protective properties.

As a matter of fact, Mg is CLOSER to acting like native bone in its mechanical properties than any other material. In other words, it can DEFORM and RETURN to its original shape under much HIGHER loads than even STEEL or TITANIUM.

What does this all mean? It DISSIPATES LARGE AMOUNTS OF ENERGY through the deformation of the bonds of the atoms in the structure and can still remain intact. This is a reason why Mg is used in situations where HIGH impact forces are expected.

Also the weight of the vest is significant and has been known to actually contribute to riders falling because of the inertia created by the added weight (much like the early SEI helmets were known to have contributed to smaller riders and kids falling when they got ahead of the motion).
              Proven how? What study? The never was any study done on helmets per se as you imply.

Comment

Reed-

I understand that the tether is a place the vest can fail--it only works if triggered. But are you saying this makes wearing it more dangerous than not wearing it? Since it's worn over a conventional vest, if it doesn't inflate, you've got essentially a conventional vest--not more dangerous than you were before you started.

Or do you fear that the break-away of the tether will fail? That would be a different problem altogether, potentially much more serious.

I don't understand why EXO didn't hand out a bunch of freebies to highly-visible top-level riders. It's straightforward marketing--no different than free review copies of my novels going out to members of the Newbery committee.

Comment

Originally posted by gully's pilot View Post
                  Reed-

I understand that the tether is a place the vest can fail--it only works if triggered. But are you saying this makes wearing it more dangerous than not wearing it? Since it's worn over a conventional vest, if it doesn't inflate, you've got essentially a conventional vest--not more dangerous than you were before you started.....
                  The fact the P2 REQUIRES a standard vest underneath is because it is a FAIL-DANGEROUS design. It means it should NEVER be used as the sole source of protection, unlike EXO, RP, CO vests.

Failure can be:

1) the rider never separates far enough from the horse to trigger the vest
                  2) the lanyard fails
                  3) the rider fails to fasten the lanyard appropriately or even at all
                  4) the gas canister fails (leak, not charged, insufficient pressure)
                  5) the gas canister is punctured during the fall
                  6) the vest is punctured during the fall
                  7) the rider is not separated with enough force to pull the lanyard

These are all off the top of my head. But you see that the rider than has to rely on the factory doing their job but even there there is a failure rate.

So I ask you, if you have to have a rotation, and you KNOW that one in every 10,000 canisters (these are standard canisters you get for a variety of other uses) fail but pass through to be sold, are you willing to bet your life on that? Can you be SURE that your P2 vest will work EVERYTIME?

Reed

Comment

I don't understand why EXO didn't hand out a bunch of freebies to highly-visible top-level riders.
                    They tried to. BNrs balked at the weight. However, UK eventer Kitty Boggis did accept. (I discussed this personally with the EXO people.)

But BNrs aren't so good at math. When you add up the weight of the PointTwo (900g) and a conventional body protector, you're not far off the weight of the EXO so it's not a very strong argument.

Comment

Reed-

No, I don't think you can say the P2 will work every time. But I think you can say it will work most of the time. Given that you do wear it over the conventional vest, if the errors in the P2 aren't going to be harmful, it can't hurt. So, as I see it, the main salient questions are:

--if the P2 doesn't perform correctly, is that harmful?

--if the P2 performs as it should, is it helpful? To what degree, under what conditions?

--if the P2 performs as it should, can it still be harmful (ie, the tether changes the flight of the fall to a more dangerous one; the forces are shifted in a way that causes more harm than the same fall without the P2)?

--what are the odds that the P2 will fail?

If you know the answer to all that, you can do the math and determine whether or not wearing the P2 is a statistically useful thing to do.

Of course, we don't seem to know the answers; I would like to.

But I think you're answering a different question--is the P2 better or worse than the Exo--and duh, that's the topic of the this thread, but it's not as much what I'd like to know as the answers to the others.

Comment

I've taken several falls in the last several years, but every damn one of them was in showjumping. Where's the app for that?

Comment

The other relevant question is whether the level of protection offered by the Point Two (as worn over the conventional BP) represents a significant improvement over the level of protection of the conventional BP.

Comment

No, I am not answering any question. I am responding to the idea that the P2 vest is the best idea (no it is not and neither is the EXO, RP or any other vest).

You ask the questions that any true engineer should ask for any product they are developing.

Here is the crux of it, what are good odds to you as to the vest working? How will you feel if you are the one failure? It is too easy to dismiss things in this sport as "Oh well, thems the breaks." yet turn around and sue Toyota of 19 failures out of over 20 MILLION vehicles! It is a form of hypocrisy. It is easy to dismiss risk and injury when it happens to somebody else.

Reed-

No, I don't think you can say the P2 will work every time. But I think you can say it will work most of the time. Given that you do wear it over the conventional vest, if the errors in the P2 aren't going to be harmful, it can't hurt. So, as I see it, the main salient questions are:

--if the P2 doesn't perform correctly, is that harmful?

--if the P2 performs as it should, is it helpful? To what degree, under what conditions?

--if the P2 performs as it should, can it still be harmful (ie, the tether changes the flight of the fall to a more dangerous one; the forces are shifted in a way that causes more harm than the same fall without the P2)?

--what are the odds that the P2 will fail?

If you know the answer to all that, you can do the math and determine whether or not wearing the P2 is a statistically useful thing to do.

But I think you're answering a different question--is the P2 better or worse than the Exo--and duh, that's the topic of the this thread, but it's not as much what I'd like to know as the answers to the others.

Comment

Good grief, give the guy a break. He expressed his opinion about a vest, presumably based on his own experience with it, and nothing else. He didn't claim scientific certainty or absolutes.

Comment

Originally posted by flabbergasted View Post
                                Good grief, give the guy a break. He expressed his opinion about a vest, presumably based on his own experience with it, and nothing else. He didn't claim scientific certainty or absolutes.
                                Whilst making claims such as this:
                                The EXO (no longer in production btw) does pose a very real whiplash threat

Comment

Anybody can have any opinion at all.

My opinion is, I would like to know if the vest is actually helpful before I spend $700 on it, and I sure as heck want to believe it won't be harmful.

The science here reminds me a lot of food science--butter is horrible, margarine is great, no, wait, margarine is horrible, butter is better, no wait--

However, a big difference between body protectors and margarine is that the science of falls, while complex, is much easier to accurately understand than the science of interactions within all systems of the human body. So I remain hopeful that someone will figure it all out.

As for being the one failure in 10,000 (if those are really the odds), I'm okay with that. It sucks to be that one, but those are still pretty reasonable odds given all the other stuff that can go wrong with horses. My husband makes his living as a cataract surgeon; the national average for a particular kind of surgical complication is 4%, my husband's average is less than 0.1%, or less than one in a thousand, so I have a feel for what that means on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by flabbergasted View Post

Hey, none of the statements I asked questions about were stated as opinion. They were stated as fact with no substantiation with the overall observation, "I would just like to set the record straight about these vests."

If he was a student of mine, he just failed his degree.

Reed

Comment

However, a big difference between body protectors and margarine is that the science of falls, while complex, is much easier to accurately understand than the science of interactions within all systems of the human body. So I remain hopeful that someone will figure it all out.

As for being the one failure in 10,000 (if those are really the odds), I'm okay with that. It sucks to be that one, but those are still pretty reasonable odds given all the other stuff that can go wrong with horses. My husband makes his living as a cataract surgeon; the national average for a particular kind of surgical complication is 4%, my husband's average is less than 0.1%, or less than one in a thousand, so I have a feel for what that means on a daily basis.
                                      Not really. The science of falls is still not well calculated or understood because of the biomechanics of the body and the tissues. The mechanics of injury are almost as complex as understanding biology. There is a reason why there are thousands of people who do this type research (not specifically pertaining to horses).

Again, not meaning to take away from your perspective, you are giving you opinion as to the relative risk which is fine for you. However are you willing to have everybody have to agree with you about those risks? You may be fine wit it but I am sure a mother of a child competing probably isn't or a sole provider for a family isn't.

Thus a company that makes safety products should not be fine with added risks either. Otherwise they risk legal liability when something goes wrong. As Toyota, Sulzer Medica (they went bankrupt due to a single failure that cost them $1 billion in law suit settlements) and others.

Comment

you guys and argue and moan all you want to but it comes down to this...what ever the rider is willing to wear is what is going to be safest for that rider.

There are times that nothing will save us.
                                        Riding a horse can be like sitting on a 1500lb torpedo with a bad clutch. Any type of fall is a situation with insane possibilty.

The fact of the matter is:

1. The Exo is hard to fit (right Rayers? didn't you have to buy yours for a large amount and THEN have your students fit it to you?) ya, thought so.
                                        Sorry, we all don't have rocket scientists on our pinkies to help us out in life.

2. The Exo is not comfortable

3. The Exo is really hard to put on

Doesn't matter how great the Exo is--if you aren't going to wear it then that is the end of the story.

My friend has one but it does her little good because she is purple when she comes across the finish line. Those vests can really make you feel 'stuck' which then can lead to anxiety.

I too would be more willing to wear the Point Two.

Stats would be nice though, as everyone has mentioned.

Is the Exo really out of production?
                                        http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                        http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                        Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Working...
                                        X