• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff on the "Tier" concept.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff on the "Tier" concept.

As the jumps get bigger, the difficulty shoots up FASTER AND FASTER. It`s exponential, I think.

Example; Most horses can trot over a 2 foot fence about as easily as they can trot 1 ft 9 inches.

There`s not that much difference between beg. novice and novice, not really. Most horses can do it.

Many horses can jump training heights and widths, 3`3 high.

Fewer horses can easily handle 3`7, prelim heights.

Even fewer are comfortable at 3`9, especially with bigger spreads.

Once you get above 4 feet, it`s a swiftly losing proposition.

4`3, 4`6, 4`9, 5 feet, these are hard for most horses. Intermediate and advanced are hard levels in eventing because height plus spread plus speed plus technical difficulty all add together.

That`s why, at least partly, it`s a world unto itself, reserved for both human and equine elite.
    In other words, the jump between 3`7(preliminary) and 3`11 (advanced) is a much huger jump than the jump between beginner novice and training.
    http://www.tamarackhill.com/

Hey Denny, Em and I were just discussing this very subject. Having never been Advanced, I can't really speak to that. However, I have trotted a few Prelim and Intermediate fences on course (not really on purpose).

It seems to me the jump from Novice to Training is 'bigger' bc at Training, riders are given options for the first time and horses are given combinations. Novice has a ditch, Training has a ditch to a roll top. Prelim has a roll top to a ditch to a roll top. The combos get more and more complex as one moves up the levels but Training level is when those combos start being introduced. No?

Obviously the sizes increase adding to the difficulty but I see the complexity as making the 'jump' from N-T harder.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Is 3'6" to 4' really that difficult for most relatively put together horses? I can see this being an issue for riders, but not the horses. Don't riders typically like taller horses so that they look down at a larger fence (less intimidating)? Once you're jumping Prelim., I and A don't appear significantly bigger (at least to me). What really changes are the speed, and rate ability. Going up the levels this needs to happen faster and smoother. This is really where training and riding matter. Also, it's important to be able to read the terrain and make adjustments as necessary. I believe hunting and riding out a lot help to make this more instinctive to the riders.

Unfortunately, those who can ride at the upper levels need to constantly bring along young or green horses for sales to support their business. They need to get these horse out in competitions sooner rather than later because time is money. It's a business and perhaps they look at it as a business risk. Due to the need to bring them along quickly, they probably have not developed the speed/ rate ability to the degree necessary. Also, some of the rides are almost catch rides and doing this well is where the professional riders shine. But, this is also potentially very risky.

The big question should be to USEA and all the membership, are we willing to risk the longevity of eventing for those that continuously are willing to take business risks. Is this a professional organization that supports business risks? Or, is this a professional organization that encourages and rewards sound, safe competive development of horse and riders? How can you discourage people from making poor business risk decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by LISailing View Post
        How can you discourage people from making poor business risk decisions?
        You could limit the number of entries a rider can make at a level and at an event.

You could limit the number of completed horse trials that "count" toward qualifications for anything.

But these are not good decisions for the other side of the business equation: the organizer.
        ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Comment

You're right Organizers needing a certain number of horses running to make an event worth the time, effort and commitment. However, until the economic slump this past year, most events (esp. Area 1) had long wait lists. Having the entries was not a concern. Now in other areas this may not have been the case and it certainly is a factor in this economy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
            It seems to me the jump from Novice to Training is 'bigger' bc at Training, riders are given options for the first time and horses are given combinations. Novice has a ditch, Training has a ditch to a roll top. Prelim has a roll top to a ditch to a roll top. The combos get more and more complex as one moves up the levels but Training level is when those combos start being introduced. No?

Obviously the sizes increase adding to the difficulty but I see the complexity as making the 'jump' from N-T harder.
            Agreed in a way, but this gets back to the consistency problem.
            Down here in area II? This paragraph needs upgrading!
            My green horse's first NOVICE = ditch to roll top.
            First TRAINING = downhill log to ditch uphill to log.

I knew this, expected it, knowing the courses. But if we are introducing a ditch at novice in some places and a half coffin (plus trakhener, plus turning questions) in others, we already have a problem.
            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

In the UK this is the very reason the Sjing was made bigger. The Sjing proves whether a combination is safe to be going xc. I do wonder if you had the Sjing first whether it would change things and people would not be allowed to go xc?

At Prelim, Intermediate and Advanced the sjing heights were raised by 5cm. If combinations are not getting round 1.15m safely Sjing there is no way they should be doing prelim xc at 1.10.

I have been compulsory eliminated (24 faults) at sjing before and then was not allowed to go xc and that could have saved my life as I was not ready to do the xc. The sjing was nearly there but we had a few difficulties with speed and I would override the big oxers causing the horse to flatten. I am grateful about it now.
              The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Comment

And I always read the specific heights with a large grain of salt....a 3' 6" or 7" short-face vertical, for instance, on cross country with wet or damp footing becomes 3'9" when 62 horses go before you and jump from the exact same spot - like the downhill half round at Bucks last year in the cuppy footing that was only 8 ft wide going towards a water crossing, which could not be seen until the horse jumped it. That was a pretty good sized rolltop made outside-edge max due to footing and circumstances. Or the footing for stadium at all of the Plantation horse trials. If you are down in the order, be prepared to ride HARD to get enough horse to get over those jumps, because you will be jumping 3 inches higher than the first horse did.
                So to just think only about the numbers, and not take into account the footing and situation of the fences, is not examining the whole picture and could be dangerous. Just because you think your horse is safe over 3'7" does NOT a prelim capable horse make!
                Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

[QUOTE=mugsgame;4723205]In the UK this is the very reason the Sjing was made bigger. The Sjing proves whether a combination is safe to be going xc.

What is "the Sjing?" Never heard of that...
                  Hillside Haven Farm
                  From starting gate to start box!

Comment

Why don't more course designers use black flag options? It would give you the flexibility to ask your horse a harder question if you feel they are up to the task without the organizer having to go out and build different courses for "tiers".

Also, regarding stadium jumping, I know it's a burden on the organizer but changing the tracks for the different levels could also be a great educational experience. The track you ask P to jump around should not be the same as BN.

Many in our sport need to be educated as they compete which is not necessarily a bad thing.
                    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Comment

What is "the Sjing?" Never heard of that...
                      Show Jumping

Comment

mugsgame, in some parts of the US (like my area) we DO run SJ before XC on a regular basis.
                        I work the SJ at our HTs, and, yes, you get some eliminations that take out some weak combos (and, of course, you get some eliminations that are bad luck and probably the pair would have been fine xc, but them's the breaks). You get a lot MORE combos that make everyone gasp...and then SJ radios over to XC and says "watch out for #12"...
                        occasionally this results in #12 getting pulled in XC warmup or flagged off the course before getting in trouble.

But only very occasionally.

It does help, but riding XC is just too different from SJ for this to make much of a dent.

horsecents, this would indeed be great, changing tracks, and would also help when footing deteriorates.

Practically speaking for most of our one day trials in this area, though, we simply don't have the time to change tracks for each level. It takes forever to reset and check a course, and then allow course walks for all the first division (who can't walk the previous track since now it is all changed).

We could do it, but in the end organizers would actually have to reduce the entries they accept, which I doubt will make anyone happy.

We do it, for example, for our unrecognized -- having realized that giving the Elementary folks the entire (large) jump arena to work with results in SJ rounds that take 5 or 6 minutes a pop (lots of trotting, some walking, using the WHOLE arena, no matter how you design the track)...and we have to schedule a big gap in the program to do it (but in that case we make up the time by reducing those 5 + minute SJ rounds to 2 mins )
                        The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Last year I watched safe solid cross country rides totally fall apart in the showjumping. I think I have never seen so many really bad rides as I saw in the Island 22 event last september. The entire day from tiny up to prelim was loaded with stops and falls, riders going to jumps giving horses no leg support -- the number of good rides you could count on your fingers.

I think there has always been a trend for eventers to have horses that gallop to fences running through the hand, and for the most part it works, till we get to skinnies, corners and tricky combinations. I think making the showjumping a little harder was a good idea, it's been on here in Canada for a few years now, makes a rough bump going to training from pre-training, but I think it sorts out a few combinations that need to be a little more organized. Definately would be good to have showjumping before cross country, but at trials run over 3 days, that's not happening. I really like 2 day trials.

I think there is a big schism in the demands of the dressage test compared to what is needed in showjumping. At the pre-entry and entry levels, the dressage test has you achieve canter somewhere in the corner between, say, K and A. Yet in the jumping you need to be able to do a tight turn with the horses jumping off their hocks to a 2'6 or 2'9 fence, that requires a lot more balance and engagement than dressage is asking.

I think that the lower levels of eventing aren't setting riders and horses up for a good progression up the levels.

Comment

Working...
                          X