• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Suggestions for eventing stallions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for eventing stallions?

Hi all,

I posted this on the breeding forum as well, but wante to see if anyone here could give me some suggestions... I'm thinking of breeding my upper-level event mare next year and am hoping to get some suggestions for stallions. The mare is a 17 hh OTTB (pedigree here) who is currently competing at the Intermediate level and should have no problem going Advanced at the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Her attributes are that she's a very good jumper, has a good ground-covering stride on the x-c (usually makes time), is a decent mover, and has a fantastic attitude (very willing and honest). She has been brought up through the levels by an amateur (me), and she has proven herself to be very game and catty out there when I screw up. However, she's not great in the dressage - I would like to breed her to something that consistently produces babies doing well in that phase, as well as something that's a little more uphill and compact (she's rather long as well as tall). Mostly, we have trouble achieving good collection and engagement. Ideally, I would be hoping to produce another upper-level horse, although I know nothing's ever guaranteed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or any insight on her pedigree that you might have! I was thinking potentially a KWPN stallion (no one specific in mind yet) might be an interesting match, any opinions on that?

TIA!

Do you know this horse?

Is this horse still producing? I know some nice offspring from him. Lovely movers - although none of them have gone to straight dressage (i think owner preference vs. capability)

http://www.frenchstallions.org/frenc...allion=2007009

Comment

Windfall and Formula One both come to mind, though neither are KWPN.

I believe there are a FEW doses of frozen semen left from Fleetwater Opposition. He has produced tons of upper level event babies and consistently produces nice movers.

Young Holsteiner stallion (I think BWP approved) Clair de Lune looks very intriguing although his stud fee is quite high for an unproven stallion IMHO.

Not sure about Formula One but with Windfall or Fleetwater Opposition you have the ATA as a registry option. With CDL you have BWP. Both will inspect TB mares.
      The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

• Original Poster

piggiponiis, I think he is - wasn't Headley Brittannia just bred to him (embryo transfer)? He certainly looks like a possibility! Although they do list one of his strong points as "refining heavier mares", of which this horse is not one. But if he's good enough for HB, he's certainly on my short list!

JWB, I looked at Fleetwater Opposition earlier, and while he looks fantastic, there are only 7 doses of his frozen semen left - since I'm not breeding until late next spring, I doubt I have any chance of obtaining it. And I don't even want to know what they could charge for it! Windfall is definitely on the list, but I didn't realize Formula One's offspring were old enough to be out there showing themselves to be good at the dressage? I will definitely look more into Clair de Lune - he looks like an awesome horse but I'm a little wary of breeding to something that hasn't actually proven himself as a sire.

Thank you both for the suggestions!

Comment

Windfall

Definitely look at Windfall.... I bred my Intermediate/Young Rider's horse years ago to Windfall. Today I have a 6yo stallion by him, and he is the horse of a lifetime... I have ridden at the upper levels for years, and have been blessed to have many wonderful horses, and this horse's talent tops them all. He amazes me each and every day, plus is an absolute natural and takes to eventing like a fish to water.

The Holekamps are terrific to deal with, too. They are extremely knowledgeable, and certainly help to set a bar in event horse breeding in the US. Look at how many of Windfall's babies have been YEH champions! Definitely look into him... My guy is a horse of a lifetime, and our mares sound similar. If I still had my mare, I would breed back to Windfall year after year!

Hope that helps! Good luck and enjoy on this amazing journey!

Comment

My absolute favourite stallion at the moment is Wish Upon a Star - a fully graded son by Gribaldi. He is very honest, trainable and talented. He is owned by the same lady who has Jumbo.

http://www.grafhamstud.co.uk/wishuponastar.php

No progeny under saddle yet but he ticks so many other boxes.

I have added the stats for UK eventing stallions as might interest you.

http://www.britisheventing.com/page....eding+to+event
            The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Comment

For frozen
              Jaguar Mail ( Denis Glaccum has a 09 filly)
              Grafenstoltz - Tk - had foals in European Champ and has competed in 3* event, show jump and now Prix St Georges.
              Mighty Magic - 3/4 TB

Fresh
              Cicera's Icewater - might be a little heavier than you want but has the pedigree
              Hunter - Hol stallion
              http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

Christine at EMCO in FL is dealing with the frozen on Fleetwater Opp. You dont have to use them the same year you purchase them, and they arent as expensive as you think. I want to say the higher end of what they had was $750 a dose? Anyway, I would call her and ask her opinion. She was great when I was purchasing the last 2 doses of Jumbo to use on my mare this year . And I purchased it last spring/summer, so they can keep it for you until you are ready.

Christan
                www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Christan, thanks for the added info about EMCO. She'll be 13 and this will be her first foal, so I'm a little worried about using frozen semen, especially purchasing by the dose as there is no LFG, but it definitely gives me another option to consider!

Comment

Future Illusion

I would strongly consider this stallion - http://www.futuresporthorses.co.uk/Future_illusion1.htm - who I personally saw in England last fall and who will be available via frozen semen this season (through Christine at EMCO, of course!). He is by Fleetwater Opposition and out of a lovely TB mare.
                    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
                      Grafenstoltz - Tk - had foals in European Champ and has competed in 3* event, show jump and now Prix St Georges.
                      Wow, very impressive!
                      Katie Ruppel & Yellow Rose Eventing *Website* & *Facebook*
                      Email for Questions/Clinics/Sponsorship

Comment

Tzigane *Pb* : edit to add video

Video of Tzigane's first son to tackle a Novice course. He will be moved directly up to Training. He's 4 coming 5 in a few months. All of the babies I have seen are like this one...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynq7NjOFOQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r7MwT7Cw4Q

He's amazing. Great jumping lines, great movement, and he is known to pass along the ability to "sit" on the hocks to his offspring.

I'm riding one of his babies and my friend has one as well.
                        Both are 4 coming 5. They are amazingly quiet. Love to work and have a real go getter attitude.

You can see the kid (Harry) and the dad (Tzigane *Pb*) on my website and on my blog. Thus far Harry has scored a 25, 28, 30, and a 32 (that had two misc. canter trans resulting in two 4s).

http://kaboomeventing.com/harry_houdini.htm

http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/

The owner's website is here:
                        Tzigane is the 6th ATA to be accepted into the German Verband. He was taken to Germany and is at a German Stallion station. : )
                        http://www.twingates.com/

If I owned Boomer's sister, Luci, I would breed her to him in a heartbeat.
                        Last edited by purplnurpl; Mar. 2, 2010, 02:43 PM.
                        http://kaboomeventing.com/
                        http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                        Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by lizajane09 View Post
                          Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Christan, thanks for the added info about EMCO. She'll be 13 and this will be her first foal, so I'm a little worried about using frozen semen, especially purchasing by the dose as there is no LFG, but it definitely gives me another option to consider!

Christine has mentioned to me she thinks they have had 100% conception with Fleetwater, so ifyou have a good repro vet, that may not be an issue. There are about 5 doses left!

I second Catherston Dazzler for a TB mare, Fleetwater I have heard is better for irish horses (though awsome all the way around!) and extremely proven!

Comment

Stallions

My mare got pregnant the first time with Fleetwater Opposition using AI on BOTH babies. I would not let AI hold you back, just have a great vet!
                            http://www.three-dayfarm.com

Comment

Originally posted by eventrider View Post
                              Christine at EMCO in FL is dealing with the frozen on Fleetwater Opp. You dont have to use them the same year you purchase them, and they arent as expensive as you think. I want to say the higher end of what they had was $750 a dose? Anyway, I would call her and ask her opinion. She was great when I was purchasing the last 2 doses of Jumbo to use on my mare this year . And I purchased it last spring/summer, so they can keep it for you until you are ready.

Christan

I second giving Christine a call (or email--she is super fast to respond.) Im breeding my event mare for the first time this spring and had NO idea what type of stallion she needed. Christine asked me to describe the mare -- what I liked, what I didnt, what I wanted, what stallions was I interested in, etc. She was able to give me a really great un-biased opinion of all the stallions they carry as well as hooking me up with some previous breeders so I could talk to them.

Hopefully my mare will be in foal to Catherston Dazzler this spring. I cant wait

edited to add -- I think I got the last 2 doses of CD, so he might be a bit difficult to track down. Unless you find someone who changed their mind and will re-sell it.

Comment

Did anyone mention Salute the Truth?

Talk about soundness. Lovely horse.
                                2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
                                Our training journal.
                                1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
                                I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! You guys have given me a ton to look into.

Kanga, I'm not worried about AI, just AI with frozen semen versus fresh since it tends to have a lower conception rate. However, it's definitely something I'll talk to the breeder and my vet about, and it does sound like Fleetwater Opposition has a high conception rate even with the frozen. I'm a vet student so fortunately I have access to a lot of repro vets for advice!

Right now it's looking like Catherston Dazzler would be my dream choice if I could make that happen, but there are a LOT of good options out there. Since this mare is pretty nice already, I'm very excited to see what she produces!

Comment

Originally posted by Robby Johnson View Post
                                    I would strongly consider this stallion - http://www.futuresporthorses.co.uk/Future_illusion1.htm - who I personally saw in England last fall and who will be available via frozen semen this season (through Christine at EMCO, of course!). He is by Fleetwater Opposition and out of a lovely TB mare.
                                    Love him! Saw him last June and hope to see him again at Badminton's Stallion Parade!
                                    "A good feeling after the round is better than any ribbon." ~ Bert de Némethy

Comment

Working...
                                    X