• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pictures of me with my new best friends--Lucinda and Clayton Fredericks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of me with my new best friends--Lucinda and Clayton Fredericks!

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get this up.

It may not be as long and detailed as some of you may have wanted--if you would like more detail please just PM me!

The Freds were no walk in the park. I was surprised no one cried. Lucinda was really mean with her pole work and started yelling quite a bit. lol.

The clinic was amazing. They are coming back to north Texas annually and you bet I'm going every time!!

They changed my way of SJ all together and it really paid off. (I used to run the entire course in 1/2 seat. The Freds sat my butt in the saddle.)I felt the benefits of the changes in my SJ round this past weekend BIG TIME! I feel much more 'put together' now.

enjoy!
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Hey Purp

[quote=purplnurpl;4704075]
    The Freds were no walk in the park. I was surprised no one cried. Lucinda was really mean with her pole work and started yelling quite a bit. lol.
    /quote]

OK..........that is the best tag line yet for a clinic blog!! LOL!!

Off to read your blog...........

Thanks!
    Susan
    http://community.webshots.com/user/ss3777
    www.longformatclub.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ss3777 View Post

OK..........that is the best tag line yet for a clinic blog!! LOL!!

Off to read your blog...........

Thanks!
      well, shoot! I didn't put that in my blog.
      I should add it.

My favorite quote of the weekend?
      and my new favorite horse quote:

"Dressage is all about confidence and bullshit"
      Clayton Fredericks

Emily looked at me right away and said, "well crap Kristen, that is why you always win the dressage!!" (I didn't argue with that one) lol.
      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
        (I used to run the entire course in 1/2 seat. The Freds sat my butt in the saddle.)
        I would ride with them based on this comment alone!! I grew up riding, for probably 9-10 years, with an instructor that had my butt IN the saddle. So many instructors teach/preach the half seat approach to people who shouldn't yet use it. They either don't have the leg strength/stability or have a green horse. You have a packer horse that's fine, they'll jump regardless of where you are sitting. You're running the upper levels and have the ability and strength that's fine. But if you have a novice rider or a young horse (or some combo of that) it really is safer for them to have their butt in the saddle. My trainer always said I'd rather you get left behind and stay on than have your horse stop or the horse pop over the jump and you fall off the front.
        At this point I still haven't found someone, since old instructor moved away,who teaches the same way... they all want the half seat. And I seriously have the HARDEST time making myself stay up in half seat... I want my butt in the saddle at least 3-4 strides out.
        Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

I have not read the blog but if the Lucinda and Clayton told you to be more butt in seat and more upright to the jumps, well that would not surprise me as it is a more european way of riding. Not a fan of the more forward position in america.

Comment

Jump position

Exactly Snoopy!! And yet here lies another example of a different system and style of riding that is, in my eyes quite correct(because I was trained in England) but yet not what they are teaching in the ICP!

Yes, here goes the can of worms!!!
            http://www.three-dayfarm.com

Comment

I agree 100% Snoopy and Kanga.
              I bet the clinic was a blast!
              www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

Sounds like the clinic was a blast, if they come to NorCal, I will have to see what I can do. Growing up riding a something that was super quick and had a dirty stop guarantied that my butt stays in the saddle for as long as possible. He was determined to make sure that I did not jump ahead of him and even proved that it was possible to come to a full stop after picking his front feet up off the ground and not knock down the jump. Fortunately he is good natured and most of the falls were soft. My instructors loved him, he did at least half their work for them and tattled on me when I didn't ride correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga View Post
                  Exactly Snoopy!! And yet here lies another example of a different system and style of riding that is, in my eyes quite correct(because I was trained in England) but yet not what they are teaching in the ICP!

agreed, but I am not about to open that can of worms....

Comment

• Original Poster

I feel that the younger (4 y/oish), green, little to no topline horse cannot yet support the riders full weight in the seat.

The horse I'm riding is going to be 5 in June. He's just now there where I can sit on his back and feel his muscle line actually accept my contact.

But yes, this was something I needed to get the feel of for my SJ technique (and skinny technique).
                    The canter pole exercises that Lucinda did with us really put the feel in my boot-eh.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Kanga View Post

well I have to say. I sat the entire warm up and course yesterday and it felt just amazing.

The horse went so much better too.

I jumped ship last year just before the ICP workshops started here in TX. Figured I'd save my 1500 bucks for another day. ; )

Comment

I have to say, Special K, you clean up wonderfully. Not that you look bad at all when you're not clean, but damn, you go girl!
                        Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Working...
                        X