• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question about race starts and soundness....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about race starts and soundness....

I have been searching the board for information and it seems quite a few people feel that if a horse can stay sound on the track for years and lots of starts then they should be sound for most activity. I am looking for an OTTB to just do lower level eventing and local shows. I bought my last OTTB without much luck in the soundness department. Sadly, she had to be euthanized way too young. I was devastated by this and so I am trying to figure out what I should look for in the way of starts. I am looking at a guy tomorrow that sounds nice but he has 50 starts.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/spider+the+glider

I don't have pictures for conformation yet, but based on his pedigree and number of starts what do you experts think??? The person that has him says he has always been very sound.

I've never worked with anything by Lil E. Tee. However, this really depends on each individual horse. If this guy has retired sound with no heat/swelling/pressure in his joints, I'd be surprised, but iron horses do exist! Most older horses are retired when they have slid too far down the racing ladder to be useful anymore, and often this is because of injury that was not allowed to heal. However, it's also possible that he's just had a good long career and the trainer wants him to go on to a new lifestyle BEFORE he hurts himself.

Check him out.

Comment

I'll be interested in what others say.

For resale, few starts and coming off the track young are selling points.

In my limited sample size, I've had very good luck with older ones retiring sound. My 2 soundest event horses had 50-100 starts (1 raced until 9, steeplechased, and evented prelim into his late teens without an injection!) Both were fairly light built and light movers, so not hard on themselves.

I just bought another one who raced from 4-6, 30x, retired sound, so fingers crossed.

On the other hand, there is no denying that there is a lot of wear and tear associated with racing, and avoiding that can't hurt.

One more thought, is that I'm not sure I buy the hype that slow implies good attitude. Some are no doubt slow and quiet and born to be show horses, but others are slow because they're resistant or not playing or not sound.

Good luck!

Comment

Love his pedigree...just on a really quick look. Especially his sire line. Wow, Hawaii and What a Pleasure...two of my favs. Horses who I know who have those lines have all been pretty tough cookies.

Honestly, I like them with more than 20 starts...if their legs are still pretty clean. All the OTTBs that I've owned who had significant soundness issues had less than 10 starts. Most of the really good event horses that I've known who were all OTTB had a lot of starts. Just my experience though. I think it honestly depends a lot on the horse.

I would not run away from looking at this horse....

ETA: I also wouldn't rule out a horse with less starts....you always have to look at the individual horse.
        Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 17, 2010, 08:37 PM.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

My last horse started about 75 times at the track! He went on to event up to the one * level and do training level at the age of 21! I evented him for 3 years and never missed an event due to lameness. He's done nearly 100 events in his eventing career after his racing one! He's about 24 now and came back from a injury in his stifle that laid him up for about a year and is back jumping and working as a school horse. His show days are probably over, but he's healthy and happy.

I'm a firm believer that if they come off the track sound after a lot of starts they have legs made of iron!

He also has the worst set of crooked front legs you have ever seen on a horse! And while we never led the way after dressage, he could jump the moon and run FAST!

Comment

My unscientific experience would be that it is shaped like a bell curve. But I do not know what ## are at each end. AKA - if they can hold up at the track for a long time, chances are they'll do fine for you. I had a horse who was on the track until he was 9 (started at 2). Played around with amatuer teen for two years, then went on to do Prelim until he had to be put down at 18 due to a pasture accident and the following infection.

Comment

We have seen young horses lightly raced that are slow but sound and and those that are not sound bc they were not talented, had to try too hard, and got hurt. We have seen iron horses with questionable looking legs (Ginny and I both have them) that are sound and eventing. We have also seen warhorses that are suffering from too many injections........so, IMHO there probably isn't a said and fast rule- look at the individual and his history....
              Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
              MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Comment

I'm pretty sure Courageous Comet raced about 40 times. Sloopy ran for four years. One thing to consider when looking at a veteran campaigner...if they have been with one trainer for their entire career you're more likely to get honest feedback about the horse. Often the old war horses that have bounced from barn to barn have also been injected numerous times and it's very, very hard to get good information about them.
                On another note...Lil E.Tee was a sweetheart! I've met a few of his babies and they've been very easy, compliant horses.

Comment

My TB ran 33 times, until the fall of his 5-year-old year. I bought him the following spring. He's now 18 and has done jumpers up to 3'6", Novice/Training eventing, and dressage (now schooling 2nd) in those 12 years, and has (knock wood) never had a joint injection, at least not while I have had him. He does tend to get a little sore coming back into work after being off for a while, but we've been able to maintain him so far with Cosequin ASU and Adequan/Legend as needed. He was recently just a little NQR behind, so I had one of the best lameness vets at school look at him, and he flexed very, very well behind. He's had a couple of x-rays in the past couple of years for various reasons (one was for an x-ray lab, another because he banged his knee in the trailer) and all of the joints we've looked at are incredibly clean.

No comments on your potential guy's pedigree, but I LOVE his name!
                  ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

DD has one that had 44 starts with 4 wins. He is now competing at advanced. His only injury was from a trailer wreck in '06.

We had another that had about 100 starts. We got him off the track at age 10. He has had a dressage career since.

DD's 4 star horse had 6 starts at 2 n 3. He was very slow and never outran a single horse. All of his injuries have happened in the pasture during his vacations. Dog attack, and other wierd things.

Comment

do the research too

my new girl had 67 starts and retired sound with clean as a whistle x-rays and she's built like a warmblood and 17 hands so go figure on the "make sure they are small and lightly built" theory.

search your horses name on equibase.com and look at each race record .pdf to see if he was ever scratched by vet or trainer and how many trainers/owners he went though. also look for any big gaps of "time off" after a scratch which would perhaps indicate a lay-up.

i did this all 67 times for each one of her races and found that she was raced 2-3 times a month for almost three years solid and only had two owners/trainers in her lifetime despite being a very mediocre racehorse (only two wins!)

i figured if she made it sound through all that then my little novice/training level goals and some foxhunting would be a walk in the park for her!

good luck! ottb's make it worth the gamble!
                      Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
                      Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Comment

Get a really good PPE and know exactly what his issues are (and every horse has them!). I would not let the # of starts deter you. Often the ones who have lasted that long on the track are tough buggers! If they hold up for that long (and have not been medicated heavily to do so) then they will likely be fine for lower level stuff.

Again, almost every horse has something (or may develop something in the future) but I don't think that # of starts should be a deal breaker.

Goo luck in your search!
                        "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

I've had 2 ottbs. My brother gave me the first one and warned me that he might not stay sound. I was just getting back into riding and fell in love him and couldn't resist. He did ok for about 6 months and we've had problems ever since. He started as a three year old and had 8 starts. He won 5 in row and them suddenly he started going downhill rapidly. I fiigured that was a good indication of when something went wrong.
                          My new horse I got in August for an absolute steal of deal was also three with 7 starts. Couldn't hit the board to save his life. Great temperment, sturdy, gorgeous, fantastic breeding, so far so good. I have high hopes for him. Of course I have not had him long enough to tell if he will stay sound. For me, he has such nice potential that he was worth the risk regardless.

Comment

A good prepurchase with x-rays is important. These old campaigners are often so tough that they will appear clean and flex clean with significant issues in their hocks, ankles etc that will show up in different work (especially if they need to jump bigger fences, etc). My guy that raced 8 times and was a total failure as a race horse has now been eventing for 10 years, through intermediate and is still sound and happy (hocks injected for the first time last year, when he was 17 years old). I like the 15-25 range, but not based on empirical evidence, just that it seems enough to "test" their soundness without breaking them down, but every horse is going to be an individual, as so many respondents have said.
                            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

OTTB Seller

From a sellers stand point to few starts and a spotted career may indicate a soundness issue. To many starts like high mileage on a car will in a buyers eyes de-value.

I look to buy horses who have a consistant form w/ 1-2 starts a month and no big gaps of time off. Allowing for weather, meet closures and age. Some 2yr old will get a start or then a bit of time off for bucked shins or to grow.
                              Also horses who run on the Turf have a short season and less starts.

I personally avoid older horses even the "Iron Warriers" since for me they don't re-sell. Although I have re-gifted a few who are still ticking like Swiss Watches.

It really depends if you are buying to re-sell or buying to keep.
                              Also H/J and eventers seem to have some diffrent criteria when shopping regarding OTTB's.

Regarding Pedigree Query for start stats. Don't its not current and only dependant upon someone updating it. Your best bet is Brisnet but you will have to buy the form. You can get horses complete lifetime starts up to the minute w/ post position, race lenght finish and comments. Worth the money

Comment

You can get that info on equibase for free now, complete with race charts and if they're currently entered to run.
                                "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am amazed at equibase. I pulled my mare's race record from brisnet but per suggestion I checked out equibase. It isn't in one neat report but I am going race by race. I love the reports. I feel like I get to know the horse just by reading.

Does anyone see anything worrisome about his pedigree? I have been searching for most of the names and nothing much pops up. I didn't know squat when I bought my mare and she had some serious redflags like multiple Mr. P and RAN.

He is not a resell project for me. My only goals are lower level fun. He is basically a free lease type thing. I am going to look at him today and I will post pictures if I get any good ones.

Comment

Caffeinated--link, please, to the free Equibase PP info.

All I can find for individual horses costs $8.
                                    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

At equibase, I did a search of the horse and it brings up the races with a "chart" link next to it. I did have to register but it was free and now I can look at the race charts.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                        Caffeinated--link, please, to the free Equibase PP info.

All I can find for individual horses costs $8.
                                        It's free on the home page if you put the horse name under "horse search" (in the left-hand menu) and click go.

Comment

Working...
                                        X