• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The never ending question of what level...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The never ending question of what level...

I am planning on heading to a local well known event that my pony club host in may, and since it will be right around the corner I need to figure out what level I should go out and play in. I have two horses that I am willing to head out with as they are the ones I ride the most, but I would like to have one chosen so I can't start working on dressage. Grrr the evil D word. Here's my two options:

Option 1: I can take out my well schooled paint gelding that has schooled up to prelim cross country, and can get around a 3'6 course no problem so jumping would not be an issue. But alas lies our problem in dressage, he is down hill stocky and moves like a (very pretty) hunter. So do I dominate beg. novice, settle at was is closer to our regular level and go novice, or risk it and take a shot in training?

Option 2: I take out my younger alot greener thoroughbred at beg. novice. I would be perfectly fine during show jumping as he's going around 2'9 and has alot of scope. But his cross country is not scary but he gets nervous with the big solid jumps, our best jumps would be banks and water. Dressage would be a train wreck even though he rides in a loose ring he's hott headed and has issues with holding a temper in, which a shame because he can go big dressage movement to long quiet hunter movement..

Thoughts?

Have you evented before? Have the horses gone XC before?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

• Original Poster

Both horses have gone out cross country before, the first has schooled alot of training and some prelim, the second has schooled less cross country and only beg. novice.

None of us have evented before, but I've gone out to watch, volunteer, and as a groom. We've done local schooling one days, this would be our first three day.

Comment

I would suggest going BN not matter which horse you ride. What horse do you like more? LOL What are your plans for each?
        *Paige*
        R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

• Original Poster

I like both horses just the same, I do not plan on making eventing my main thing this is just something my club is hosting so it is cheap for me and my mom want's me to do it. My plans with the first horse is to continue showing him 3'3 jumpers, moving up to junior hunters this year. The second horse I'd like to get solid top five every show in 2'9-3' jumpers, with some baby greens thrown in to let him learn to relax while showing. The first horse I would be comfortable cross country and show jumping at any level, and the second I would be happy to take around beg. nov.

I think I should just take both..lol

Comment

If taking both is an option, go for it! I would love it if I could compete both my horses at the same time!
            Sorry I cant be more of a help, I am sure someone else can. It may just be a descion only you can make...
            *Paige*
            R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

Sorry, I first had to mop up the water that came out of my nose...you have never actually evented, but you are assuming because you have schooled 3'6 and schooled some prelim fences that you might be able to do training and that you are going to dominate the BN because you have schooled 3 6? Jumping HIGH does not have much to do with it, really.
              The questions asked of horses and riders at BN and N are usually quite a challenge for ANY horse the first time, especially with a rider new to actual eventing. (as opposed to schooling)

With the exception of experienced upper level riders, who have years of practical experience accessing the abilities of a green horse, sometimes bring out a horse the first time at training or prelim, but the norm is to start at BN or N.

Start out at BN and have fun...and you will be glad you made the first time out for you and your horse a safe, and successful outing.
              What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

Comment

I'd say take the first one novice and the second one BN.

Although many horses are capable at starting out at training level, not too many riders are. Having not seen you ride none of us know one way or another. Assuming you ride jumpers at a decent level you probably have more than enough experience to get through a novice xc successfully on the more experienced horse.

Comment

Start them both at BN. The goal should be to make it a fun experience for both you and your horses.

Schooling XC jumps is NOT the same as stringing together an entire course of 20 or so jumps in a competition. Just because your one horse can jump 3'6" doesn't mean he should go Training- as others have said, eventing is about much more then the height of the jumps .

Comment

Take a look at the dressage tests for each level, since that sounds like the phase you are least sure about. Training requires extended trot, stretching, and smaller circles; Novice is just WTC and 20m circles. No matter how well you do over fences, you can't win without a decent dressage test.

Also, the XC pace is faster as the levels go up, so you will need to adjust your "eye" for distances accordingly. Jumping 2'11 at 350 mpm is not that fast, but 420+ mpm over 3'3" takes practice; you don't want to learn this the hard way!

Remember, it's not about what level you can survive, it's about what level you can perform well and have fun!
                    The journey is the destination.

Comment

Originally posted by The Centaurian View Post
                      Training requires extended trot, stretching, and smaller circles;
                      Training requires lengthening the stride in the trot, not extended trot.

Without looking it up, I don't think extended trot shows up until Advanced. Extended walk starts at Intermediate I believe.

Regardless, count me in the camp that thinks you should take #1 BN. If you opt to take both, I'd do BN with both.

Comment

oh, sry! my trainer calls it "extended" even though I am way too much of a smurf for true extensions I apologize for the incorrect terminology, but you get my drift.
                        The journey is the destination.

Comment

I would suggest that you enter BN, which is intended to serve as an introduction to the sport for both horse and rider. Putting all three phases together is likely to be more difficult than you expect, even if you are a confident rider on a good horse with some xc schooling under your belt.

If it is, in the end, too easy for you, you will have given yourself and your horse a positive experience, which can never be underestimated, and you will have a better idea of what your capabilities are at your next event.

There is NOTHING worse than getting out on course only to realize, too late, that you are overfaced, except, possibly, to NOT realize it, keep going, and suffer the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
                            I'd say take the first one novice and the second one BN.

Although many horses are capable at starting out at training level, not too many riders are. Having not seen you ride none of us know one way or another. Assuming you ride jumpers at a decent level you probably have more than enough experience to get through a novice xc successfully on the more experienced horse.
                            Ditto. Novice should be more than fine for the first horse. BN for the other one since he can be backed off.
                            Amanda

Comment

Not Two

Choose the easier one and take him BN. Two horses at your first event is never a good idea. Two horses at two levels is just asking for mistake. Choose one, study your test, be prepared and if it is easy you will have more fun.

Nancy
                              www.canterusa.org

Comment

Ask your coach or an UL PCer that knows you and your horses well or something.
                                Riding in an event is about more than just doing your courses. You need MAJOR time management skills to pull off an event without screaming at someone... especially if it's new to you.

I hope you go! And I hope you pick a level that will let you have fun with your friends who have decided to go.
                                Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

Comment

As this would be your first event, I would recommend taking your more experienced horse either BN or Novice. It sounds like you are a pretty experienced pair together. You know what he is comfortable and capable of. It sounds like you are pretty competitive, but for the first time out, I would aim for a nice confidence-building ride. Sure, dressage might not be as beautifully flow-y as some horses, but riding the test accurately can help make up for lack of brilliant movement. Go have fun in the jumping without worrying as much about young-horse green moments.

Take your time with the youngster, maybe you can find some low-key schooling dressage shows where he can go hang out and do some lower level tests. Get his feet wet without feeling the pressure of being at an event. It sounds like he plenty of talent, he just needs to figure out he can be talented and relaxed, and you can't beat slow and steady to build that sort of self-confidence in a horse.
                                  Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

I will just ditto the advice to only take ONE horse to the event. If it's all on one day, that is a lot of different mental tasks to cram in. I have evented for a while now, and have the whole thing "down" with one horse -- the first time I did two at the same level on the same day I found myself shortchanging one thing or another and much more mentally distracted.

Learn the sport, then make it more complicated!
                                    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

It can be really hard with two, depending on the scheduling. I had one recognized HT where I jumped one horse stadium, got off, hopped on my other guy in the warm up area where my friend was holding him, jumped around stadium again, ran XC, hopped on my other guy and ran XC again, and then collapsed on the ground unable to move (and somehow managed to place 3rd and 4th ). And I have been eventing for a few years now- I couldn't imagine doing that when I was first starting out.

Comment

Working...
                                      X