• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cold weather riding gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather riding gear

I just got home from a lesson a little bit ago and the outside temp was around 12 degrees (yes, LAZ, I know it was 20.7 in the barn but still... ). My boy and I had a good lesson and once we got movin' I was fine, but I think I need more "serious" winter riding gear so I have one less excuse to not drag my sorry butt to the barn when it's this frigid. I have the Ariat thermal, full seat riding tights and really like those. I'm thinking of ordering another pair but I'm also considering the Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm breeches. Anyone tried those? Any opinions on them?

Also, I need warmer underthings. Anyone tried the two-piece Mountain Horse tights and mock neck that you're to wear under your breeches and whatnot? What do you think of those?

Any other recommendations of winter breeches/tights or warm under-layers are most welcome. Thanks!
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

No opinion on the Kerrits, but I adore my Irideon Wind Pro Fleece breeches. They served me well today in 28-degree indoor arena temps!

IMO you're better off getting non-horse-branded long underwear. Under Armour is the bomb, but if you can't afford it (like me), Cuddl' Duds microfiber is also very good. Sam's Club sells Cuddl' Duds in the winter, and I think Penneys sells them year round but don't quote me on that.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

No matter what you wear on top, when its cold, chemical hand and foot warmers make life much more bearable. Easy to find in hunting section or online...I cannot survive without them in anything under 35 degrees, and that includes Michigan and Kansas winter temps...

Comment

I have the Kerrits sit tight n'warm in both knee patch and full seat, and find them very warm and comfortable. Are you riding outside or in an indoor? I am usually comfortable wearing a smart wool or other crew neck thermal top, layered on top with either a fleece, or other synthetic turtleneck type top. My outer layer is a lightweight EMS quilted jacket which I only where when tacking up, but get too hot in it when riding. Even when it was 12 degrees last week I still ditched the jacket when riding and wore the Smart Wool top, knit fleece turtleneck, and Kerrits sit tight n'warm breeches. I also got the Middleburg boots from Dover which are very warm. I like the Hot Chilly's thermal tops because the back is long enough to tuck into your breeches.
        I wear this a lot and love it! http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...737271.3693429

Comment

ditto on the chemical foot/hand warmers -- I have a stash that I will use for clinics and other times I can't just abandon myself to unkempt layers

I grew up in SoCal so find even our MidAtlantic winters terrible.

You can get great deals on long underwear at sierratradingpost.com -- get bottoms, sock liners, glove liners, and tops.
          Then add on top of that layer, smart wool socks and good insulated boots (some on TOTD today), fleecy winter britches (I covet the Irideons and FITS but have a nice pair of Harry Halls I got for super cheap at Rolex), a lightweight fleece layer or two, fleece headband for under your helmet, and a good windproof jacket/coat and serious gloves (I just got Mtn Horse "extreme" gloves and love them).

Then you can strip down while riding a fair amount -- I'll lose the top two jacket/fleece layers, go back to regular riding gloves, and even lose the fleece headband if I'm warm.
          The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

i LOVE my PolarTech winter riding breeches by EQ...I got those about a year ago after suffering through one New England winter with "Regular" riding pants,and i haven't regretted since, add to that my fleece helmet cover and winter riding boots that i have and i'm good to go...i would highly reccomend the PolarTech breeches to anyone

Comment

Well, it doesn't get as cold as that here, but warm clothing is warming clothing I suppose!

My mom ordered a bunch of stuff from www.moosejaw.com. She got some great layering tops for free with the reward/point system.

Under Armour is GREAT, but I got a couple of Icebreaker (wool) items which have been very warm too.

I think a good breaker helps so much, and I have had a North Face windbreaker/shell for several years now. It has gotten a lot of wear, mud, rain, horse snot, etc. and it keeps me very warm and dry.

Smart Wool socks, for me, work even better than the feet warmer/Toasty Toes.

I have one pair of fleeced lined breeches that I like by EQ. I have the regular Kerrit Sit N' Tights and kind of think the full seat part is too sticky! So I haven't gotten the fleece lined pair.
              T3DE Pact

Comment

another vote for Kerrrits

Sit Tight N' Warm Breeches. Every day this week....getting ready for another bout of temperatures in the teens. I can hardly wait to leave for Aiken!!

Comment

EMS has some great thermals. I have two of their heaviest weight. Also scour TJ Maxx or Marshalls for great deals on Under Armour. Tomorrow it's supposed to be about 30 with some serious windchills, and I will be wearing:

(top) Shiny thermal, long sleeved shirt, fleece, winter jacket
                  (bottom) Under Armour tights, Tropical Rider toasties, wool hunting socks from Walmart

Layers are key (although right about now I'd love to only have to put one set of clothes on every morning).
                  I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

I recommend the Kerrits you mentioned and Under Amour Metal.. Best stuff i have ever used! I can wear just the UAMetal Shirt and a sweatshirt when it's in the 20's and be a-ok..

Good luck!!
                    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Comment

HUGE fan of Kerrits Sit tight and Warm

i just bought these britches in full seat on sale at Dover and they are fabulous. I live in NJ where it has been 19 in the indoor one day and 40 the next. Its GRRREAT!

I also just bought a Mountain Horse Winter Jacket. It is super warm and I am a big fan. I was looking for a down jacket and was very skeptical, but the new Mountain Horse is super warm.

My normal gear for the 20's is:
                      bottom--silk long johns, kerits sit tight britches in full seat, wool winter hiking socks.
                      top -- long sleve tee shirt or slik long john top, Reebok Play Dry fabric mock turle neck (love these), fleece top/sweater/sweatshirt, Moutainhorse Jacket.
                      Still trying to find my favorite pair of winer gloves, but the ones I have now are ok.

Find the hand warmers to be a must if its in the low 20s or below and I am riding more than one.

Good lord it seems like its going to be a long, snowy winter! Wish I was off to aiken this year...

Comment

I don't think you need to buy horse specific cold weather gear to survive. Quality base layers that wick sweat away are the best things, and you can find decent ones inexpensively. Some of my favorites are called "Cuddle Duds" (the name cracks me up). They are light weight and silky against the skin, don't bunch up, and fit well under britches. I think you can find them at Target. Obviously, you can get great stuff that is very fancy and technical at sporting goods stores, especially stores that specialize in outdoor sports.

I swear by Smart Wool socks. They are warm, comfy (good, since I am on my feet all day), and are designed to wick sweat away. Warm socks are super important to me...I hate cold feet!

And screw the warm britches...I am all about full chaps, especially since I scored so incredibly this week when I got a new pair (looking for off the rack, none that fit me. They had a pair of unclaimed customs that fit me like I had ordered them myself!!!! ).

Irideon does have a nice balaclva (sp? I know that is NOT how you spell it but my brain isn't awake yet) that I got for Christmas. It is designed to go under helmets, so it's not bulky at all, has a handy pony tail slot, and is very soft and comfy. I highly doubt I'll actually wear mine for riding, but I'll definitely be wearing it on my bikes!
                        Amanda

Comment

Not exactly clothing, but Sams Club carries the giant box of the hand warmers quite cheap! Gets me through the whole winter.

I find I can stay out nearly all day with the hand warmers in my gloves. And of course layers of fleece, etc.

Comment

Love my Tropical Rider Toasties Full Seats, warm and comfy. I usually tack up my horse then change into my paddock boots (Ariat Winter) and half chaps (Ariat Thermal). Keeping a dry pair of wool socks to change into is key. Right now I'm just walking my horse for a half hour each day in the indoor and keeping warm can be tough. I like to wear a Cuddledud shirt under a polarfleece 1/4 zip shirt. If I'm doing more than walking I wear a vest (Royal Robbins Peralta) over that. I start out wearing a jacket but can quickly shed it when I start trot work. I have a Tipperary helmet that I can wear a polarfleece headband under to keep my ears warm. Tried one of the Helmet Helpers Fleece Covers but it was too warm! I like the SSG All Weather Winter Glove to ride in. 2 way zippers on outerwear is very important and I wear a nice pair of nylon ski type pants over my breeches before and after I ride.

I'm up in the northeast corner of Ohio in the snowbelt. I don't ride when it is 15 degrees or colder (unheated indoor).
                            1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Comment

I really love my Sit Tight and Warm breeches. Be warned: the knee patches are VERY sticky!
                              Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Brigitte View Post
                                Not exactly clothing, but Sams Club carries the giant box of the hand warmers quite cheap! Gets me through the whole winter.
                                I love those, but at about 40 cents a pop, they're a little too pricey for me. If I were out at the barn for the full 10 hours that they work, I would definitely spring for them. But since I only need to stay warm for a few hours, I use the reuseable kind that you recharge in boiling water. They claim that you can only use them 40 times but mine have surely been used over 100 times and are still going strong. It's cheaper and better for the environment, but the tradeoff is that they only stay warm for about 60 minutes.
                                http://www.campingsurvival.com/prreha.html
                                Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 2, 2010, 12:15 PM.
                                Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

I have the Kerrits Sit Tight n Warm and Irideon WindPro breeches and they are both awesome. The kerrits knee patches ARE very grippy.

I love my UnderArmour, too.

Jennifer
                                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

My challenge is always my fingers.

But as for everything else - I love under armour as my base layer! I also have a couple Nike equivalents that I found at TJ Maxx last year for a fraction of the under armour.

I have the Boink full seat fleece lined breeches and they are very warm and comfy. I've had them for at least 6-7 years and they have held up great.

I have the Ariat Iceberg insulated boots in a 1/2 size too big, these with a pair of moisture wick ski socks, I have never had cold feet!

And people make fun - but I have a polar fleece helmet cover and that thing is the bomb for keeping my head, ears, and chin warm.

And then to go outdoors, my riding coat is wind resistant.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                                      And people make fun - but I have a polar fleece helmet cover and that thing is the bomb for keeping my head, ears, and chin warm.
                                      Yes, we do make fun, but I'm sure your ears are nice and toasty!

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I just ordered a couple pairs of the Kerrits Sit Tight n Warm full seats and am going to TJ Maxx this afternoon to comb for Smart Wool socks. I'm also going to keep my eyes peeled for Nike under things or a deal on Under Armour.
                                      "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                                        My challenge is always my fingers.

And then to go outdoors, my riding coat is wind resistant.
                                        The first time I rode with the polar fleece helmet cover all you guys were rolling around on the ground, laughing at my bowling ball head--but I've noticed nearly everyone has one now! Great for keeping ears, neck and face warm, and easily opened up to be cooler if need be (though then the snoopy comments start).

My hands don't get too cold indoors while riding, I usually use just my usual gloves for riding and have my beloved Gordini gloves for before/after, though for really invigorating days I use a pair of thinsulte backed SSG's. I think it is much the same as socks/boots--if you wear them too tight you get cold, so try buying your insulated gloves a size bigger.

AEM & Hollywood already know this--I buy a lot of my outdoor gear off the Campmor Hot Deals page, or the REI outlet page. Same equipment, but a season out of date or off colors for as much as 70% less.

Comment

Working...
                                        X