• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tips for best Rolex experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for best Rolex experience

Haven't attended before --any brief strategies you can share? We'll be driving in Friday, attending Sat and Sun, drive home monday.
    *If we get the reserved grandstand seating, where's the best place to be? Is this seating worth it (we're young and ok with lots of standing)
    *Hubby will be with me, so he'd have more fun if we can position ourselves near one of the xc obstacles rather than just watch them gallop by. How early sh we be on course to achieve that?
    *Any hotels to avoid like the plague?
    *Best BBQ joint
    *Traffic times to avoid
    *anything else?
    TIA

Let's see... Comfortable shoes and rain gear...

Can't help with the seating as I've never had seats. The cross-country is easy, you can walk to any and all jumps and really the only one that you won't get near without getting there super early is the water jump. No help with the hotel since I either lived there or stayed with friends. Don't eat BBQ, sorry. Traffic? Yeah, avoid the horse park during Rolex if you want to avoid traffic...

Have fun! Rolex really is a blast - rain or shine!

PS - Bring lots of money and an extra empty suitcase for shopping!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Yeah - Hotel info would be great! I'm feeling overwhelmed!

Comment

suggestions

for dressage try to get grandstand seating looking across the ring instead of up/down it.

for stadium pretty much all the seats are good since the seating re-do last year

for cross country go on a course walk friday night and pick a jump based on which ones your course walk leader says will be "interesting"- usually those are great. for husbands- pick a spot where he can see more than one fence and sort of walk in between them. we always go to the one that jim wofford says will be tricky- you get to see some really amazing riding

avoid the red roof inn- yuck

i am from GA so i think kentucky bbq is yucky- sorry no suggestions to give there- but theres a great sushi place!!

other suggestions:
        -bring sunscreen and apply it often
        - bring something to sit on
        -wear comfy shoes
        -dont forget to see the trade fair and get husband to buy you goodies
        - bring snacks and h2o
        - dont break your ankle trying to see buck davidson on cross country like i did last year- that can be a real bummer although the UK medical team is stellar and will give you pain meds and then deliver you by golf cart to your friends on the xc course if you do.
        - have fun and make your own traditions for every year- we do a champagne and cake pic nic after cross country and margarita night after dressage!

i think we should have a COTH BB member meet and greet somewhere!
        Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
        Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Comment

Try to see the inspection Sunday morning. You have to get there early to get a good spot, but it's worth it.

Comment

Hotel: We always stayed at the Hampton Inn in Georgetown. Clean, nice people, free breakfast. It's one exit north of the Horse Park on Rt. 75. The hotel itself is situated very close to the on/off ramps for 75. There are a few eating places around there; you could walk to an italian place from the hotel.

We made it a priority to get to the horse park by 7am on cross country day. Cuts down on the traffic and you'll get a closer parking spot (if there is such a thing).

Reserved grandstand seating is definately worth it. You'll want someplace to sit down for a while after cross country day

Have fun!

Comment

I have camped in the campground every year I've gone and even in bad weather and a tent it's not too bad. They have a nice showerhouse at the campground so you can feel pretty normal each day. The nice thing about camping is that you walk right out onto the xc course. You do need to get your tickets ahead of time for this-they check them as you go from the campground into the park. They also have shuttles running from the campground. Call soon if you need a spot that's not primitive.
              When I stay in Lexington for horse shows we stay at the Days Inn in Georgetown. Cheap with a free minimal breakfast.
              I agree with the other posters about seats. Any of them are good for showjumping. On XC day my husband and I have fun booking around the course to try to see (and photograph) one rider at each jump. Then I have a photo course walk at the end to look at! Dorky I know! The big infield is also a good place to stand (where the sunken road is). There are a few jumps in the field along with the sunken road, plus a large Jumbotron to see the rest. Not as crowded as the water jumps.
              I usually eat Olive Garden one night and we have a campfire on the other nights, so I don't know about BBQ- sorry.
              Comfy walking shoes and lots of money! You will have a blast!
              Helen
              5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

Comment

• Original Poster

Good tips! You guys are great. Despite what the H/J folks say. <grin>

Comment

I stayed at the Quality Inn (I think that was it) right next to the Waffle House in Georgetown--it was very nice, clean, and closeby. And I loved going to Waffle House for breakfast! (We don't have them where I am.) Get the covered seating in the stadium because the sun is hot. I was in the covered seating, but mid way up, so my legs got burned. XC you will get bored if you stay at one fence, so plan to walk around. I always like to watch people come in at the finish line. Definitely bring water, snacks and a hat (or get a Rolex hat).
                  Park your husband at the Kentucky Ale tent so you can shop. I did after XC on Saturday, and my husband enjoyed sitting near the German riders.
                  I went the last 2 years and had a great time. I'm not going this year just because I don't know if it can top last year's event! so many top riders, you can't get much better than that. I suspect that this year most of the international riders will only come out for WEG, not both.

Comment

When observing XC, when the whistle blows ensure you are NOT the one in the way of the galloping horse.
                    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

You really need seats these days for dressage & stadium. There is no other way to see it. As for hotels, Georgetown is probably a wee bit closer than Lexington, so look there (here). I can recommend good BBQ!!! Try Billy's: http://www.billysbarbq.com/

Comment

BRING COMFY SHOES, ENERGY, AND A CAMERA ON X-COUNTRY DAY! have fun rolex is a blast!

Comment

The campground is so convenient. Coming in by flight, I am still wondering instead of hotel - if someway to rent a camper and stay there instead - maybe split with others? That's the way to go I think. We have to rent a car when we go. No fun with all the money involved in that.
                          Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                          Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

SUNBLOCK...like every hour for cross country. Lot of water too, though you can refill at the water fountains near the stadium.

We packed our lunches and brought chairs last year and were able to see nearly every jump on x-country during the day. During the lunch break, we headed to the water jump with the ducks and were able to get a front row seat because everyone else was at lunch. We had a picnic under the trees and it was very nice.

I imagine you could do the the same at the head of the lake, though we had no problems seeing the last few riders there at the end of the day.

Save your money for the trade fair- there can be some incredible deals.

Comment

If you haven't heard, the Rolex will be part of a WEG test week. Tues. thru Thurs. will be the dressage test event, the Rolex will be the eventing test event and will be at the regular time, and the jumping test event will be Fri, Sat, and Sun evenings. Bottom line, hotel space may be hard to come by.

With that in mind, here are two websiteswhich should be helpful:
                              For hotels outside Lexington: http://www.rk3de.org/visitor_guide.html

For Lexington: www.visitlex.com.

One hint: there is a new hotel at the Newtown Pike Exit, #115: the Fairfield Inn. I mention it because there are probably many people who don't know about it.

For restaurant info, let us know what you're looking for and I'm sure someone will help you.
                              Last edited by khp vol; Dec. 30, 2009, 05:51 PM. Reason: lurn tu spel

Comment

MONEY for the tradefair!! Raingear for sure. Comfy shoes. There is a nice holiday inn a few exits from the horsepark that is nice...we always stay there but it is about 15 min from the park..but a nice place to sit in the sauna after all the walking you will do (good place to dry out too )!! Have fun
                                Honey Badger don't give a s*#^!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

Comment

Originally posted by lesson junkie View Post
                                  Try to see the inspection Sunday morning. You have to get there early to get a good spot, but it's worth it.
                                  Haha, yes! Definitely get there early. I lucked out last year. We arrived maybe 20 minutes before jogs only to find a sea of people in front of us. I did some scoping and found another little roped off area almost head on with the path. Sweet. So since the other areas were roped off, too, I thought it would be okay. I started looking around a few minutes in and noticed that I was in the company of grooms, riders, parents, and other big time supporters. Whoops... We did get pretty close though!

We always got seating for D & SJ days. Especially, for whatever reason, SJ always seems to be the hottest of days. Last year, we got seating in the covered for the first time. Big difference.

For crosscountry, make sure to pack/wear:
                                  + Water/Drinks
                                  + Little snacks (unless you plan on taking a break)
                                  + Rain Gear
                                  + Sunscreen/Sunglasses
                                  + Comfy, waterproof shoes (nothing sucks more than to walk XC with squishy feet)
                                  + Camera
                                  + Blanket/chair for the in field (or just grab some grass)

Fences are actually really accessible. I usually start off at a less popular fence (maybe the Hammock if they have it this year) where I can still see a lot of the course, and then I'll start moving around. I do like to see the entire course so, I'll stop at a jump for a rider or two and move on. I can usually get around the course in plenty of time and have a couple of rides to park myself at a good complex at the end of the day. However, the only fence I'd really recommend getting to early if you want to be one of the first to see it is the Head of the Lake. Middle to late day won't be as bad for it.

I'm another person we can't make a good BBQ recommendation, but if you need others, I highly recommend Joe Bologna's and the Atomic Cafe. Mmm.

Whew, this is long. Anyways, have a blast!
                                  Last edited by ohhthatgirl; Dec. 30, 2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: Link error.
                                  New Username: tres grey

Comment

We plan to be there with DD and her horse in tow. Things are looking very good right now for the 4th run at Rolex for the little guy. We stay in the campground with the LQ trailer.

We bring all our rain gear and all our sun gear and hope we have the right clothes for people and horse.

I always make time for the trade fair. I Bee Back Fudge is a family favorite, that and the Bourbon fudge. I always spend a lot at Bit Of Britain too.

I don't walk the xc until after because my heart won't let me. Our friends like to watch in the area of the big screen TVs. There are usually a few "live" jumps to see and the rest you get to watch on the screen.

DH walks the course several times and does the measuring, then he runs the course as far as he can while DD is riding. I watch in the stabling office on a normal size TV because the jumps look really small on that size screen!

We meet up at the finish to take care of the horse and rider.

it is the most most most stressful, exciting, rewarding, time of the year.

Comment

I went for the first time last year and had an awesome time! I'll link to my photo albums from last year so you can see what we were able to see and do.

Don't forget to wear sunblock. I got a little red on my arms the first day, but my friend was wearing a skimpy tank top and got totally fried We brought a cooler with lunch stuff, snacks, and drinks and went back to the parking lot to picnic at lunch time. (We also got lucky and had great parking spots on the first 2 days.)

We drove down from PA overnight and arrived early Friday morning. If you are interested in really seeing dressage then get tickets for seating, it is hard to see anything from outside the stadium. We hung out by the warmup rings instead and got to see everyone up close. Dressage warmup pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/furlong...7617323708427/

On Friday we also spent the most time shopping and exploring the trade fair, then walked the XC. There are big groups that go out with various riders and trainers, but we chose to go by ourselves. Course walk: http://www.flickr.com/photos/furlong...7617417555322/

After that we checked in at our hotel. Saturday, XC day, take a small bag with you and bring sunscreen, snacks, drinks, etc. Remember sunglasses and possibly a hat. We started at one of the jumps near the end of the course. We watched one or two riders at each jump and then headed to the next jump moving backward along the course. This way we got to see every rider and almost every jump. There was not a problem getting a good vantage point anywhere. People tend to spread out over the course, with big crowds only around the Head of the Lake and a few of the more complicated areas. XC pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/furlong...7617360158463/

Stadium - our seats were in the covered grandstand. It was worth it to be out of the sun (or rain if that were to happen) and had a great view of the arena. One jump was slightly hidden by a small pillar but I only needed to lean a little to one side or the other to see it. Stadium pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/furlong...7617365527905/

When you have a little extra time make sure to check out the rest of the Horse Park: http://www.flickr.com/photos/furlong...7617453136192/ We also enjoyed just driving around the area and admiring all the gorgeous farms and horses.

Oh, we also paid for the program/book which was well worth it, there's a lot of good information in it and I think it was like $5. By the end of the weekend our copy was pretty dog-eared from all the thumbing through And they have sheets available each day that show order of go/times so you can make sure to catch the riders/horses you want to see most.
                                      Flickr

Comment

You will want the covered seats in the grand stand, especially if it is a hot, sunny Rolex and you get fried walking XC on Saturday! (Ask me how I know this.) Be ready for any type of weather, although in my experience it has been really hot and sunny, or non-stop rain and cold. Either way it is still a really good time.

Have a shopping list or you WILL get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff for sale. It is amazing! The first year I went, I brought home lots of crap I did not need because I went into a buying frenzy when I saw all the great stuff that was available.

I hope that you have a great time!

Comment

Working...
                                        X