• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I need tall boots for big calves!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need tall boots for big calves!

Okay, thanks to my severly German genes...I am stuck with large calves. Doesn't matter how light I am, the calves don't change much. I am wanting some new, snazzy tall boots... I guess dress boots. I was given the Ariat Westchesters for Christmas, and, sadly, they are the tiniest bit too small.

I have been pointed toward the Sergio Grassos...which I know are lovely...but I'm not really in the market to spend that much $$! Any good ideas for NICER boots in bigger calf sizes that don't cost a fortune? I know, I know, I'm asking too much, I'm sure. haha
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

I feel your pain! Try www.marylandsaddlery.com. Hope, the owner, designed some boots that are being made by one of the companies that fit larger calves. They're awesome, and I think they have a few price points, but nothing as expensive as the SG's. She saved my life with tall boots. Also, if you're eventing, you can use half chaps in recognized events as long as they're smooth leather, I've done that sometimes.

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

I have Mountain Horse tall boots, but I'm "trying" to be a pro, and my trainer is not down with them. haha She's a stickler for looking the part. I'm trying to find something that is elegant without costing a ton. I'll check into Maryland Saddlery!
      Jessica Bortner-Harris

Comment

You are not alone! Try searching the forum for "boots large cal*" and you'll turn up a number of threads on this topic.

I have a 16" calf and love my $250 Treadstones that I paid $90 for on Ebay. Have discussed them on many of the large-calf boot threads, so I won't repeat my comments here except to say "they don't look or feel like $250 boots." Sadly (fortunately?) I'm losing weight, so I may have to have them taken in.
        http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...enny/boots.jpg
        Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

It may not be an option for you, but zippers and gussets. My calves are very large in comparison to my foot and ankle and this combination has been a life saver for me. I also find the ariat wide calf with zippers works great even without a gusset.
          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I have a 17.5" calf-Ovation is the only boot I've found that goes to that size! And the quality is lovely! My only complaint is that they aren't tall enough! But, the leather is lovely, takes a nice shine and has taken a beating. Check Equestrian Collections in their 1824 collection.
            http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

Comment

I bought the largest calf size in the ariats with zippers and the tallest (since I am almost 6 ft) that I could get for my size 11 foot! As they have spanish tops they worked, even though the widest calf size does not come in their tallest option. I too have HUGE german legs!!!
              www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

• Original Poster

Unfortunately, the boots I just tried were the new Ariat Westchesters with zipper and gusset...still didn't work. I was hoping since I'd just lost a bunch of weight (my other tall boots are way too big now) that they'd fit. No such luck.
                Jessica Bortner-Harris

Comment

Try this site

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90030

Comment

My "HUGE german legs" had trouble fitting into boots. I've tried a few companies for special fitted boots and they all seem pretty good. Last place I found a bargain was in the boots sale at Duo..

Rach x

Comment

do you have a good boot / shoe repair shop near you? I have a guy near me who has worked wonders in all sorts of circumstances for me and my riding friends. There may be a way to adapt the Ariat's you already have.

Comment

I also wouldn't discount the Mountain Horse boots quite so fast. I know a number of pros who wear them at all levels of competition and look great. They make both their original, fairly blocky boot, but have also come out with a better looking, more polished boot that is more than fancy enough for just about anywhere. My coach wore them at Rolex, so that's big name enough for me, plus they are super comfortable.

Comment

Oh, so I can blame my calves on my German ancestors? How about my stubborness?
                          I have very short legs so that makes boot shopping even more fun.
                          In my next life I am coming back 5'10" with long legs and platinum blonde hair. Can't wait.

Comment

I too have this prob and I almost died of laughter when the salesperson at the tack store said my large calves were "all muscle." Um, not quite, but thanks!
                            I sucked it up and bought the Sergio's and LOVE them. I also have a pair of ariat field boots w/an elastic gusset which works well that I bought at M'burg Tack Exchange, brand spanking new. My ankles are teeny (no cankles here) and finding a boot that fits w/o my ankles swimming is the most challenging thing, thus, why I love my sergio's. A long time ago, I had effinghams & they fit well over my calf.
                            And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Comment

I peeked over in this thread when I saw the title, even though I'm from the *gasp* hunter side. I am soooo glad I am not alone in this search. I recently found a pair of field boots on ebay for my large calfs. Its definitely worth looking on there, people who have custom boots and no longer ride will list them on there sometimes for rock bottom prices. Or like mine, a closeout deal from a retail store who probably couldn't find somebody with a body as oddly shaped as mine to sell the boots to! lol They were brand new and only $50! Good Luck in your search!
                              Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

Comment

My calves are a little more than 16 inches, and I have the Mountain Horse Richmond High Riders in a wide calf and LOVE them. Lots of pros do wear them (their website lists K O'C, Corinne Ashton and John Williams, among others) so I wouldn't say that the MH boots don't convey a "professional look".

And a more comfortable footbed you will not find!
                                I have Higher Standards... do you?
                                Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
                                Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
                                Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

Comment

Originally posted by missamandarose View Post
                                  My calves are a little more than 16 inches, and I have the Mountain Horse Richmond High Riders in a wide calf and LOVE them. Lots of pros do wear them (their website lists K O'C, Corinne Ashton and John Williams, among others) so I wouldn't say that the MH boots don't convey a "professional look".

And a more comfortable footbed you will not find!
                                  This.
                                  Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

This company has been touting their extra-wide-calf tall boots:

http://www.equitector-usa.com/ridingboots.cfm

I believe they made a custom pair for a 24" calf!

Comment

I have the Equitectors mentioned above. Very comfortable. Mine are on their fourth year, with one zipper replacement, and I wear them every day.

Comment

Treadstone for $159.95

What about Treadstone?

http://prostores1.megawebservers.com...ail.bok?no=142

I just ordered a pair of the French Calf Field boots because they got rave reviews, I would imagine the Dress boot is just as good?

Comment

Working...
                                        X