• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Off the Track Quarter horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off the Track Quarter horses?

Just wondering how many people purchase off the track QH's to Event. I am not even sure where you would get them, and I know a lot of them go to Barrel racing homes, but I have a racing breed AQHA now and was just wondering who else has them for eventing... I mean.. they do have a TON of TB in them! haha
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I have a friend that has one QH cross that is barely 15 hands (with shoes) that she took to training and could have done T3D with her too. She also has one QH filly that she is keeping for a prospect, and another that is 9 I believe that is also successfully going training, she looks just like a warmblood. I have no idea what if either of the last two were racing bred, but they are very nice. Hope I helped!
    Eventingismylife
    http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

In Texas, lopetx.org does the same thing CANTER does but has a section for QH's and other breeds. Right now looks like a bunch of older retirees, but I've seen plenty of young OTTQHs there, too.
      I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

I have a racing-bred QH that is a jumper, but he would be a terrific eventer. The first time I took him out XC schooling he easily did a wide range of prelim questions (he was doing 4'6 jumper courses at the time so the prelim jumps looked small to him). Dressage would be a struggle. He did not spend time on the track -- when I bought him he was a barrel racer.

I'm a huge fan of the Appendix -- mine is a powerhouse. I love the quarter horse butt. However, he does not have the quarter horse brain. Here are a variety of pics of him: http://pets.webshots.com/album/120919510IHNZMo

Comment

I have a friend that really wanted an OTTB. However, she would not be a good match for most OTTBs.

We'd always joke with her that she should get an OTQH because if it took off with her i'd get tired and stop after a 1/4 mile or a OTSB because it would just trot away with her!
          http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

By pedigree, isn't a racing QH allowed to be upto 15/16th TB?
            Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

We "acquired" one (by which I mean her former owner abandoned her here and disappeared after the economic downturn ate up his portfolio, and the courts then had her signed over to us).

She is AMAZING. She's come along very quickly, and will go prelim next spring if she doesn't sell. She's been in the ribbons at her last two Training events. The only thing that gives away that she isn't full TB are her size (15.1), her color (that dark liver color that seems fairly particular to QH's) and she's got just a touch more "back" (in the Sir Mixalot sense) than the average TB.

Great attitude, huge jump, and huge stride. The flat work has been challenging thanks to her having a stop off in a barrel barn between the track and us that got her pretty worried about the bridle, so it's been hard for her to trust being steady on the contact. Mr. PF loves her and would love to keep her for himself. Just as soon as that money tree sprouts, I'll let that happen.

You can see a video of her here.

I'd love to have another one, just a bit bigger, LOL, but she's great.
              Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
              Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
              www.phoenixsporthorses.com
              Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Comment

Yup, sure is! But, most of them aren't, FWIW. The QH's that you see that are mostly TB are the HUS bred types at are 17h+ monsters. At least, that's how it was ten years ago when I left the breed show scene, but from what little I've dabbled with, I don't think it's changed much.

Racing QH's still need their original power source! They were originally bred down from sprinting TB's. But, I don't know much about racing QH bloodlines other than they tend to be smaller and stouter, like a sprinting TB.
                http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

Comment

I have one. Mine actually raced. He came in second twice, and 3rd a few more times but never actually won. He is actually is a dressage barn reject because he was never quite mastered the changes to do 3rd level, so eventing dressage is easy for him. I took him Novice at one rec. event before I got pregnant and my priorities shifted. He is definitely more of a "kick" ride jumping (could be because he's a bit rusty from all those years doing dressage) than most of the TBs I've owned, but is quite forward and light off the leg in dressage. He does not at all look like a typical QH. He is 16.3 and has more of a warmblood build. It's the butt that gives him away! If you look at his pedigree he is just about half TB. He is such a solid citizen-- hard worker, no monkey buisiness. I give my 2 year old pony rides on him all the time. I would take another like him in a heartbeat! Here are some pics. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00130574dGDnLo

Comment

My OTTQH is 16.3 and competed at prelim and one intermediate with good dressage scores. I don't know his race record- his tattoo is really faded...At 20 he is packing my daughter around baby novice...he has a very mellow personality but definitely remembers his previous life as a racehorse (when galloping in company) and as an UL event horse (on his way to the start box). He has a big rangy frame with legs like tree trunks, is tough as nails, wise as an owl, and I would clone him in an instant!

Comment

I have one! But mine is 100%QH not Appendix! She has white AQHA papers (versus yellow that are Appendix papers). Missy raced at Delta Downs in Louisiana. She wasnt super fast but ran in about 40 races.

She jumps 3'6" like it is 2'3". I have done the 3'6" Jumper course on her and schooled Novice and a few Training jumps. I havent shown her yet (due to $) but she is bold XC, amazing to ride, and jumps like she has springs in her feet.
                      RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
                      http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
                      New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
                      http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
                        Your video is private -- I can't see it.

Comment

Granted my guy is 16 now, but he was an OTTQH. He was born and raised in Orange, TX (breeder Virgle Spence). His pedigree is here, and that 1/4 TB definitely did him some good. After racing, Trey had a brief stint in barrel racing before becoming a 3'6 - 3'9 jumper for six years. Then I bought him, and we learned eventing together. He's a hot, but powerful jumper. Definitely taught me how to ride.
                          New Username: tres grey

Comment

Originally posted by Sithly View Post
                            Your video is private -- I can't see it.
                            Wow, I had no idea that was even possible. I should have it fixed now. Guess I'm glad I responded to this thread, I had no idea that video had been set to private, LOL. My other one wasn't . . . very odd.

All fixed. Enjoy!
                            Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
                            Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
                            www.phoenixsporthorses.com
                            Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tx3dayeventer View Post
                              I have one! But mine is 100%QH not Appendix! She has white AQHA papers (versus yellow that are Appendix papers).

Appendix can earn their permanent papers and convert to white if they meet a certain performance standard by a certain age. Once they do, their offspring would get the white papers.

If you pull you mare's 5 generation pedigree, you are going to see alot of TB.

We had a discussion about this over in Hunterland a few months back and found most of the successful QHs competing over fences in either Open or Breed shows had alot of TB.

It is a good choice on a budget and they make great horses.
                              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
                                We "acquired" one (by which I mean her former owner abandoned her here and disappeared after the economic downturn ate up his portfolio, and the courts then had her signed over to us).

She is AMAZING. She's come along very quickly, and will go prelim next spring if she doesn't sell. She's been in the ribbons at her last two Training events. The only thing that gives away that she isn't full TB are her size (15.1), her color (that dark liver color that seems fairly particular to QH's) and she's got just a touch more "back" (in the Sir Mixalot sense) than the average TB.

Great attitude, huge jump, and huge stride. The flat work has been challenging thanks to her having a stop off in a barrel barn between the track and us that got her pretty worried about the bridle, so it's been hard for her to trust being steady on the contact. Mr. PF loves her and would love to keep her for himself. Just as soon as that money tree sprouts, I'll let that happen.

I'd love to have another one, just a bit bigger, LOL, but she's great.
                                I saw her on your website a few weeks ago and immediately wished ya'll were EAST again...
                                ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

I had no idea a racing quarter horses were not 100% quarter horse. Thanks for enlightening me.

Comment

My old barn used to get some OTTQH every once in a while. To me, they were more fried and not as easy to restart as OTTBs, or maybe it was just the ones we picked up. Most people can get on their OTTBs and walk around in a reasonable fashion right off of the track. The OTTQHs we had were basically all wicked spooky at first, hot as hell, and just would not settle for quite a while. In the beginning (first 6 months or so) you could be walking around all nice and easy and one thing would change they just could not process it and would freak out. They were fantastic jumpers though.

We even had one that came from a H/J barn. When we asked why they were selling him, they said it was because he was too spooky over jumps 2'6" in indoor arenas so wouldnt' work out for they needed. It sounded like a reasonable explanation and we were eventers in Texas, so not many, if any, shows indoors. This guy was 9 or 10 and had been off the track for a while, but still was a bit quirky. You could be sitting on him, him looking like he was asleep, and before you could process what happened he would disappear so fast that you would land on your feet and he would be back at the barn before you realized he wasn't there anymore. He was a cross country machine though, if you could keep from having speed penalities.
                                    Rhode Islands are red;
                                    North Hollands are blue.
                                    Sorry my thoroughbreds
                                    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

There are a couple in Area III. Linda Dreher has one, "Remington", who frequently wins at the preliminary level on his dressage scores! He's a machine! Another friend of hers also has one, but has competed primarily in dressage, though he's looking for a new home so that he can be evented more. A friend of mine in college had one also who ran through Advanced and was a superstar minus her terrible feet that were hard to maintain! They are definitely out and about, though often not recognizeable because of all of the TB blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Chall View Post
                                        I had no idea a racing quarter horses were not 100% quarter horse. Thanks for enlightening me.
                                        It has led to some disension and some splinter groups (Foundation QH etc.). But because the QH traditionally originated as a cross between TB and native stock, they have always allowed infusion of TB blood-but they have to earn their white papers either on the track or in the performance arena by earning a certain number of points by a certain age.

It can get confusing but it is interesting to look back and see how many of their most prolific sires found in many, many pedigrees (like Three Bars) carried Jockey Club papers and sired racing TBs.

If you know this and do a little research, you can pull a pretty good horse with a pedigree that says he can jump off the track.
                                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X