• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: Neck strap question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff: Neck strap question...

How many of you ride with a neck strap? I think they are great and I've got my daughter riding with one. Me? Not so much and I probably should be! How do you re-wire your brain to reach for one when you're having a "moment." I can't ever remember it's there when I ought to grab it...I'd be sunk if someone ever roached my horses' manes.

I started riding Star with a breastplate (hunt style) and it did take me a bit to figure out how/when to grab it but it totally works when she has her bucking/leaping moments.

Bucking straps didn't do anything because they are too loose - by the time it tightened up I was too far out of the tack to be saved! A neck strap for jumping I don't need. The breastplate (or yoke) sits within finger's grasp so I can grab it really fast and because it's near her withers when I grab it I get sucked into the saddle but my upper body can stay back. It actully seems to calm her down when I grab it- but probably because I'm sitting deeper. Racing folks use yokes to slow horses too, so it may have that effect as well.

A good cycle - I'm more secure, so I stay calm, so that calms her, so she leaps less.

Comment

I actually prefer a neckstrap to grabbing my breastplate...
      The neckstrap is higher up, so I can keep my hand out in front of me instead of right in front of my saddle
      -Jessica

Comment

I think sometimes I need two straps- one further up to be used as a jumping neck strap and the other far enough back that I can grab during the all hell is breaking loose moments. I have really short arms so the neck strap I use for jumping doesn't work when I need to lock myself into the saddle as it is to far forward for me to reach.

I use a stirrup leather for my jumping strap and normally just the hunt style breastplate works well enough to get my hand under during moments of hold on or else I find I use my breastplate a ton when out foxhunting especially when going up and down hills or sometimes when I think I am going to have a bad spot to a fence.

I should use them way more than I do since almost all the horses I ride are super green and either learning to jump or still so green when jumping you wish you had that strap on when it is already to late! Now that we are talking about it I am going to sit them on the hook near all the bridles so I make myself use them more often.

I was listening to Bruce's speak on young horse and LMAO when he talked about going up the hill and grabbing some mane to balance himself when his young horse took offense to it's mane being pulled and ducked it's head and shoulder and ran off leaving Bruce stranded. A neck strap would have come in handy
        http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I use a loose yoke. It's in the right location for me - not as far back as a breastplate, and not as far forward as most neck straps I see - and thin enough that I can hold it with my reins without trouble. My 5 year old can be fussy about his mouth, but responds really well to a tug on the yoke by rebalancing himself. I started by using it every time I rode - even for D - to train both of us to it, and got used to it pretty fast. Of course, it probably helps that I have a sufficiently regular incentive to grab it!

Comment

I use a yoke also. I make it somewhat tight, it will move some but the whole point of the thing is to stabilize me, so I don't need it to move a whole lot when I grab it or it defeats (my) purpose!

I do not like breastplates for this purpose. The strap is too low to really help you.

I can't seem to make myself jump even a little tiny x without it in my right hand, just snag it with my pinky finger. It is absolutely ingrained habit.

Saved my *ss more than once!

Comment

I never liked using one until I started having issues with my young OTTB refusing (because I was in his face too much).

To train myself I would grab the strap 4 or 5 strides before the fence, almost a preemptive grab!

Now I don't have to hold it the whole course, I am comfortable grabbing it if I need it but I did have to do a few schoolings where I held it for every jump just to get used to it.

edited to add: When I said I was holding it I don't mean letting to of the reins, just holding it with one hand and letting the reins have contact but not tight.
              http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

• Original Poster

What's a "yoke." Pictures?

Comment

It's a loop around neck that attaches to girth

so, a martingale without the part that goes to the head.

or a breastplate that doesn't attach to the top of the saddle.

Comment

Not only have I started using a strap when I jump on my own to make me keep my hands forward enough, but I have been using a neck strap on the flat to train myself to keep my hands forward too.

Comment

I'll use a stirrup leather when I get on a horse that I know rushes fences. Keeps me from snatching rein. I actually hold on to it with one hand always so that if I go to pull back I cannot.

I have had students use one as well, [even for just flat work] and I fix it so that it allows them to carry thier hand in the corrent area. (i.e. not in private areas!!)
                      Again, I have them always hold it with one hand.
                      http://kaboomeventing.com/
                      http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Oh my..

I thought that's what the running martingale was for :-)
                        Did my horse need one? No. Did I need a grab strap? yes! Ans less likely to get loose, fall down, etc.
                        Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

https://clshrs3.wixsite.com/website

Comment

As stated above, neck strap for:

-over-jumping young horses (keeps you on and is easier to grab with both hands; reduces interference with mouth)

-horses that rush - keeps the rider honest and reduces interfering

-prefer it to a bucking strap when the horse's antics are buck-leap forward - buck-leap. I like my hands in front of me and feet on the dashboard.

Breastplate is good for horses that like to spin.

Mane is always good - I like to do the one-hand-grab when I still need some steering/control; but since mane's my mainstay (), it takes me an adjustment period to rely on a neckstrap when I add that.

To anybody who whines when I make them use a neck-strap in a lesson, I bring out my picture of William Fox-Pitt on a winning Burghley XC round with his. That usually shuts them up
                          Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I usually grab it a few strides out with one hand. Habit developed really quickly, when it is there I use it. Once they stop being so green I have to take it off for a while because I just love the damn thing.

Comment

Yes always.... it's habitual

Comment

I use a neckstrap (spare stirrup leather) on both my OTTBs. If we get on a good run hunting, and need to slow down quick, they respond much better to me dropping the reins to the buckle and pulling up on the strap-- or hunting breastplate, I use both. It was really hard to do at first, but apparently, race horses are trained to run harder the tighter you hold them in. I looove my neckstrap!

Comment

See, this is why I like not pulling the mane. That way I have something to grab when things go wrong without having to remember to put anything on. I am bad about hopping up bareback to just goof off and then ending up going over a few fences. Then again with a neck strap you wouldn't have to untangle yourself after the fun stops.

Comment

Yoke Pictures Please

I would love to see pictures of a yoke and a yoke in action if anyone has any.

Do you pick it up with one hand or two? Or are you just hooking your index fingers over the top?

My vice is to let my upper body creep ahead on the way to a jump and I'm wondering if I had something besides the reins to hold if I wouldn't feel more secure and stay more upright. I don't think a traditional stirrup leather around the neck will work for me....it might be too high and encourage my 'creeping' up the neck.

Comment

to help my student grab the neck strap (a stirrup leather), I wrapped 1/3 of it in BRIGHT YELLOW vet wrap. Sure made it ugly, but at least a brown strap on a brown horse wouldn't get lost in the pre-jump overload of things-to-do.

Comment

slightly off topic but my old instructor's husband rides at like BN and she would give him lessons. To help teach him to release, she braided a few looser training braid type things in the horses mane and covered them with lime green duct tape (his xc colors) to help him remember where to put his hands!

Comment

Working...
                                        X