• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Night Turnout in the Winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Turnout in the Winter

Okay, here is a question, what is your opinion on night turnout during the winter. Have enough blankets to keep them warm but the nights are getting down into the high teens low 20's? They can either go out during the day for about 7 hours, or all night for about 14 hours. So I do have options!

Interested in your thoughts?

Mine was on winter turnout during a Michigan winter with free-choice round bale hay and appropriate blankets (mostly medium-weight, sometimes heavyweight). He was fine.

Remember, there are hundreds of horses on 24/7 turnout who do just fine with those temps. Assuming yours are suited up for the weather, they will do fine too!
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

My boy lives out 24-7 (middle TN, so we're not talking super cold) with a round bale, a trace clip and a midweight most of the time. I have a heavy but haven't used it in years. He never even acts remotely cold.
      Big Idea Eventing

Comment

My mare has been living out 24/7 just about her entire life and she runs around nekkid all winter. It doesn't get into the teens on a regular basis here and the last two winters have been very mild, so not really past the 30's - but she does just fine.

I would personally pick out at night for a longer period, if it were my horse.

Comment

I was just convincing myself today that night turn out in winter is fine. Of my three, I have one arthritic oldster, so being up for 16 hours is not a good option for him. With only three they all have to do the same schedule. We were down to 22° last night and mine were out nekkid. I increased their feed by about 25%, and I'm happy to report that everybody seemed perfectly happy, fuzzy, and delighted to be lead out this evening.

Wet along with cold is a whole 'nuther ball game. Stiff joints or not they come in below 40° with rain! That's just more than I can stand...

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
            I was just convincing myself today that night turn out in winter is fine. Of my three, I have one arthritic oldster, so being up for 16 hours is not a good option for him. With only three they all have to do the same schedule. We were down to 22° last night and mine were out nekkid. I increased their feed by about 25%, and I'm happy to report that everybody seemed perfectly happy, fuzzy, and delighted to be lead out this evening.

Wet along with cold is a whole 'nuther ball game. Stiff joints or not they come in below 40° with rain! That's just more than I can stand...
            same routine happens at RunForIt Farm...mine DID have on blankets last night when it went down to 25 degrees though cause it makes ME feel better
            ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

mine are out at night....given total choice...I'd probably rather have them in at night and out in the day...but that is because it would be easier for me.

BUT they are fine. They are FULLY clipped and go out with several layers of blankets. It is in the 20s at night (or colder). They have heavy blankets with hoods....and another layer or two under their heavy blankets.

ETA: Mine are TBs and TB cross...and most not the easiest of keepers. Since they are in work and harder keepers...I blanket more heavily. I want them warm....and if they were in, they would still be blanketed.

I've had others unclipped and not in work be just fine out nekkid as long as they have shelter from the wind/rain/snow. I did usually blanket if it was wet.
              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 6, 2009, 09:48 PM.
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Mine live out 24-7 and I have fairy convincing evidence that they STRONGLY prefer to be out rather than in under almost any weather conditions.
                They are bib clipped and only get blanketed for cold/wet -- 30s/40s and rain. They are fine in the occasional teens and more frequent 20s we get, fine in the wind, fine in the snow.

They get PLENTY of hay, have shelter, and are easy keepers.
                I don't even own blankets beyond rain sheets any more.
                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

A healthy horse with a natural coat expends NO extra calories to stay warm down to 10 degrees F (assuming no wind or rain). Learned it in grad school

My TB has been out 24/7 in Kentucky for 8 years, and we regularly get the temps you mentioned. When he has a shelter, he won't even use it when there's freezing rain!!! He gets a rain sheet all winter, but that's it (no clip).

Comment

I have two that live out 24/7. When DH plows their pasture for them he piles the snow up into a wind break. They have access to a round bale and water at all times.

I had a trainer that felt that horses are warmer outside, eating, than inside in their stalls. Especially when they run out of hay inside, they're just STANDING in there. Makes sense to me.

I have 3 that are in at night and the two that are out 24/7 will come in this winter if we get freezing rain or driving winds or any other EXTREME conditions.

Night turnout should be fine.

Comment

No night turnout for my group.

It has nothing to do with weather. I have a rogue QH and a ninja mule and I simply cannot let them out under cover of darkness.

(The QH -- who is 31 years old -- took a fence down last night and invaded a mare's stall. She was not happy about it.)

Comment

Our guys are out overnight from 8PM to 8AM. One gelding is clipped, the other is not. The clipped guy is blanketed in his medium weight or heavy weight depending on the low temp for the night. We have been throwing a light sheet on our unclipped guy, mostly to keep him from being covered in mud

We like turning out overnight because our horses are calmer for whatever reason. When they are out during the day they tend to fight and run around like idiots

Comment

24 hr turnout

I have a few that live out 24/7. When the weather forecast is for really terrible weather, they get a big bale of alfalfa mix, and what is impressive is how much they go through when the wind is howling, and the snow sleet is flying. They appear to just stand there and eat. Mostly I add blankets when they are going to be wet and cold. I remove the blankets when the precipitation stops. They are all furry. When the weather is less impressive, we hay what seems like a rational amount twice a day.

Comment

My guy had to go on 24/7 turn out when I move dhim to his new home. And even though he's a relatively hard keeping TB with hardly any coat, he's been doing great provided he has the right clothing on at night.

And yes, this weekend I was feeling like a terrible mother b/c it was mid-20's here... but he seemed happy as a clam when I went to the barn yesterday and the BO assured me he's loving being outside all time.
                            I have Higher Standards... do you?
                            Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
                            Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
                            Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

Comment

Our boys love to be out almost all of the time. They don't like to be out in the hot sun or when it is damp and windy. We leave the barn open so they can decide when they want to be in or out.

Comment

I give mine a choice. They can come in or stay out. They always come in at night.

Comment

my wooly bear retirees are out tonight and most nights. It is supposed to be hi 20's here. They have a big run-in with hay racks, heated waterer etc. I can tell when they sleep indoors and it is not often.

Comment

Even here in the wet, rainy (and at this very moment FROZEN) Pacific Northwest, we do night turnout. My boarders will sometimes wonder about the timing, and will get a little anthropomorphic about it. But once they see the effects of the turnout on their horses... they love it! The horses get about 13 hours on grass or paddock. They come into their stalls and I am able to see all of them, their legs, their problems, get ridden... and they are mostly so well behaved because they are happy. They get turned out in pairs, which I think helps them be comfortable.

Almost everyone wears blankets with hoods, and most are full body clipped. We layer lots and have "Best Dressed" awards at christmas time!
                                    www.polestarfarm.com

Comment

My Tb mare lives out 24-7. She is much happier and easier to ride all winter than she would be if couped up in a stall for the majority of a 24 hour period. She is a bit prissy and doesn't like to be cold. If adequately blanketed, she is happy as a clam and rarely uses the run in shed.

Comment

I have weanling/yearling TBs and older semi-retired ISH's and TB's that are not in real work. They all live out 24/7 unless it is bitter cold, windy, or any kind of precipitation. The older horses get a MW blanket starting about January (depending on weather that year). The babies do not get blankets.
                                        I feed lots and lots of alfalfa/orchard hay and do not up the grain unless it's a hard keeper- which is rare. Heated auto waterers outside so they always have fresh water.

I'm in Delaware so temps go into the twenties/teens in Jan/Feb but it's a very mild winter compared to most.

Comment

Working...
                                        X