• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Does A Joint Supplement Actually Do Anything??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does A Joint Supplement Actually Do Anything??

I know this thread should be in Horse Care but I wanted to talk to eventers mainly.

I just bought a 13 yr old TB mare. I have always had my event horses on joint supplements. Last event horse was 20 yrs old so you could see a little bit of diffrence when he was on a joint supplement. But for a horse that doesnt have any soundness issues, and is competeing at prelim. Do joint supplements do that much? And if they do, who much, and are they worth giving? Is it worth not giving a oral joint supplement and instead give adequan or legend?

I am a part time college student and paying for my own horses so anywhere I can spair to spend money is much needed.

I do think MSM works and notice a difference, but all the others, Cosequin, SmartFlex, ect., are they worth the $30-$50+ a month?
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

MSM is the only feed thru joint supplement that has studies showing it does work. However, all other feed thru joint supplements are not proven. My vet feels that Adequan or legend is a better option, she says it won't hurt to feed joint supplements and MAY help, but no definitive proof. All my horses that compete or work hard get MSM daily but no other feed supplements.
    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

If you are looking to save money, I would not spend it on Cosequin, etc. MSM I would (and it's cheap), and I think Adequan is worthwhile too.

Comment

When you do the math, I believe that Adequan is about $40 per month (after the loading dose) and you KNOW they received the ENTIRE amount. Get someone to teach you to do IM injections and you're set!
        Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

Comment

Originally posted by shawneeAcres View Post
          MSM is the only feed thru joint supplement that has studies showing it does work. However, all other feed thru joint supplements are not proven. My vet feels that Adequan or legend is a better option, she says it won't hurt to feed joint supplements and MAY help, but no definitive proof. All my horses that compete or work hard get MSM daily but no other feed supplements.
          ditto 100%

I also do only MSM and then an injection.
          Actually I use Legend. IV, once a month.
          That and actual joint injections for hocks if they flex hot.
          Adequan is only proven for the loading dose--not monthly.
          http://kaboomeventing.com/
          http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
          Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I had a 14yr old TB mare that had a partially fused hock, I gave her SmartFlex Repair and it worked wonders. She was never sore, lame or stiff on it. I tried Cosiquin SP first and it didn't do anything. I am not big on feeding spendy supplements, but I definitely recommend SmartFlex Repair for any horse because it is both a tendon supplement as well as a joint supplement.
            Eventingismylife
            http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

Sounds like a lot of good advice. I don't have much personal experience with Adequan/Legend.

FWIW, my 16 y.o. 3/4 TB 1/4 Trak. mare does really well with an oral supplement that has some joint stuff (MSM, Glucosamine/Chondroitin) but also has biotin, probiotics and multi-vitamin combo. She also gets her hocks injected 1x a year. I really feel that the supplement is worth the $. The over-all improvement in her physical condition seems to make her go better (better movement, flexibility, attitude, coat, hooves, etc).

I understand your situation. I paid for my mare all through college (full time) by babysitting, mucking, etc. I did pay for this supplement, though. It tipped the scale from "good" to "great."

Hope you find a combo that works for you!
              "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

Originally posted by eventingismylife View Post
                I had a 14yr old TB mare that had a partially fused hock, I gave her SmartFlex Repair and it worked wonders. S
                I just want to second the quality of the SmartPak brand supplements in general. I have been very pleased with them and they are substantially less expensive in most cases.

Comment

I suspect that deltawave will weigh in here with her comments on the efficacy (or lack thereof) of joint supplements, and also whether or not it's worth the money to do it--based on the hard evidence , but the general consensus is that joint supplements are SO variable (in terms of the amounts of the "active ingredients" that are actually IN the supplement) that feeding them is pretty much a crap shoot. And possibly a waste of money, but it depends. Apparently Cosequin ASU has been proven to be one of the few joint supplements that actually has clinical evidence on its side. You need to get it from a vet (or have a vet's script) so it is on the pricey side. MSM is a pretty good bet (has some evidence that it does help), and is quite affordable. Cheap, actually! Of course there is some anecdotal evidence that it makes some horses "spooky" (though in my horse's case--who has been on it for 4-5 years now--EVERYTHING is an excuse for her to be spooky, so as much as I would *like* to blame the MSM, oh well.)

I now save my money on feed supplements, and instead use both Legend and Adequan (which have different and complementary effects; a "one two punch", as it were), since they have been proven to work, and I do notice a difference in my horse when she is on them. Or since she has been on them. As for their "prophylactic value", I have to say that I have had my mare on both of these for several years, and she was aggressively flexed on all 4 legs, all joints, and jogged out--barefoot and on gravel--about a year and a half ago (for reasons unrelated to any lameness: primarily an overzealous and bill padding vet who was trying to "diagnose" a tight muscle by giving my horse a full out lameness exam. Can we say "bill padding" here?!? Oy.) Anyway, she got a zero out of zero on flexions. And at the time, was a coming 10 year old who was about to bump up to Prelim.

IMO, I feel it has been worth the money for Legend and Adequan, and would (and do) recommend the protocol to all of my students who have horses in hard, full work. (My last horse--a giant TB gelding who was VERY hard on his joints--NEEDED this. My present horse? If it makes her happy and healthy and as sound as she can be, it's worth the money, in my book! Luckily my vet provides me with a script, so I can order them wholesale and give them myself. Highly recommend doing this if you have a cooperative vet; it will save you a ton of $$.)
                  "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Originally posted by VicariousRider View Post
                    Sounds like a lot of good advice. I don't have much personal experience with Adequan/Legend.

FWIW, my 16 y.o. 3/4 TB 1/4 Trak. mare does really well with an oral supplement that has some joint stuff (MSM, Glucosamine/Chondroitin) but also has biotin, probiotics and multi-vitamin combo. She also gets her hocks injected 1x a year. I really feel that the supplement is worth the $. The over-all improvement in her physical condition seems to make her go better (better movement, flexibility, attitude, coat, hooves, etc).

I understand your situation. I paid for my mare all through college (full time) by babysitting, mucking, etc. I did pay for this supplement, though. It tipped the scale from "good" to "great."

Hope you find a combo that works for you!
                    For the other things mentioned by VicariousRider, I would suggest getting the flax supplement (there are several options with various additivies) from HorseTech; their supplements contain everything that she mentioned helped her horse (and it's high quality stuff--I use it myself ), but I would STILL pony up for the Legend/Adequan instead of a joint supplement. I suspect that VR's mare is sound as a result of ALL that she is doing for her--*but* the yearly hock injections certainly have a lot to do with it! Otherwise, the supps she is giving her probably help "support" her soundness through the rest of the year.

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Basically since none of them has anything even remotely close to good clinical research (yes, even Cosequin--their data are lousy) the answer is "who knows?". If you have the money to spend, and it makes you feel better to do so, try a few--some people swear by this or that or the other.

For my money, I go with Adequan if I have a horse that needs "a little something".

Dang, Dr. D, I should've saved my breath! I'm so danged predictable.
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                        Basically since none of them has anything even remotely close to good clinical research (yes, even Cosequin--their data are lousy) the answer is "who knows?". If you have the money to spend, and it makes you feel better to do so, try a few--some people swear by this or that or the other.

For my money, I go with Adequan if I have a horse that needs "a little something".

Dang, Dr. D, I should've saved my breath! I'm so danged predictable.

Yes, well, you may be predictable, but you DO have your "cadre" of loyal followers, who listen to what you say--and take it seriously...

Comment

HYALURONEX!!!!! i get it from SmartPak..... totally works. Have tried them all... and since i race also did an in barn "study" and it works in my opinion as well as Legend....

Also shove as much Omega 3's down her as possible.
                          owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Comment

Dr. Doolittle, I'd LOVE to hear more about your legend/adequan protocols. (How much, how often, etc.) I've had good luck with legend the one time I used it. I've also used injectable glucosamine and didn't notice a difference one way or another.

I'm currently feeding whole flax seed as I've heard it can do great things for joints as well as coats. Something to do with making prostaglandins, I think. I'm too lazy to hunt up the book.

Deltawave, I am one of those that listens to what you have to say--it makes SENSE. (The poultice issue sticks out clearly).

The problem that I have with joint supps is that there seem to be no studies, and each supplement claims to be best.... and what makes "A" best is directly opposite of what makes "B" best. (Glucosamine Sulfate vs Glucosamine HCL for example). And somewhere I read that there are issues with particle size, etc. So the whole thing has me baffled. And I for one CAN'T afford to waste my money on joint supps that will just make very expensive poop soup on a cold winter night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                              For the other things mentioned by VicariousRider, I would suggest getting the flax supplement (there are several options with various additivies) from HorseTech;
                              For clarification, the supplement I was referring to is by HorseTech! Very good, Dr. D! You know your supplements!

Comment

I'm quite flattered that I am now a "joint support guru"

Will respond on the morrow to RL...

Comment

• Original Poster

I can give IM and IV shots so that will save me money. Right now I work at Starr Vaughn (a well known facility around here), and am training a few horses so I luckliy I can afford to do legend and/or adequan if i plan my money well. I just cant afford anything that doesnt work.

I am definatly planning on putting my mare on MSM, that has worked wonders for my horse.

I have used to have my old guy on SmartFlex Repair and it seemed to work, but my new mare so far doesnt need a joint supp.

So new question, what are the exact diffrences between Legend and Adequan? What are the exact functions?
                                  "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Comment

I forgot to add that I only used Adequan 1-2x a year if needed in addition to my joint supplement. It works great!
                                    Eventingismylife
                                    http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

I have always ridden older horses and competed at the lower levels of eventing and First Level dressage successfully on horses in their 20's and even 30's! The BIGGEST thing about older horses is KEEP THEM MOVING! If they sit several days, it isn't good and no supplement/injection is going to change that. Supplements/injectables are good but very much in a second position to consistent excercise.

In the old days (before Adequan/Legend), I fed Flex Free religiously and felt like it helped. I have used Adequan for the past 7 or so years (instead of the feed through supplements) and feel like it is a huge step up. Ironically, I was out riding my old guy this morning, who got his monthly Adequan shot a few days ago, and was thinking what an amazing product it is and how much BETTER it is than the feed throughs. Kind of funny that I was thinking about that and came home to this thread.

I have also used Legend on occasion and here is how my vet explained the difference between Legend and Adequan. Adequan is slower acting but builds on itself over time and lasts longer. It is most appropriate for chronic conditions (arthritis, etc.) and is what I use the most for my old guys. Legend is faster acting (a bigger boom up front) but does not build on itself as much and doesn't last as long? It is a good product when you horse has an injury or you want your horse to have a boost (say before he/she is going to work hard at a show, etc.).

I have used them in conjunction sometimes, but it does get expensive. Also, through careful shopping, you can find Adequan for $40 a vial. Legend is significantly more (I don't do IV shots so it costs about $125 in addition to any call fees in my area).

Hope that helps some? I think Adequan is a good value and works really well for older horses. That would be where I put my money if I were limited.

Comment

The problem that I have with joint supps is that there seem to be no studies, and each supplement claims to be best...
                                        Me too. It's not baffling to me at all. It's just advertising, with no governing body requiring proof or accountability. Caveat emptor!
                                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X