• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Le Samuri Accident Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Coal Creek's owner, I think I have some say on Amy's horsemanship skills and the decision that was made yesterday.

Sparky & Amy were at the beginning of their partnership, her longterm goals with this horse went FAR beyond winning this Rolex.

She felt the mis-step, Sparky then sighted the fence and Sparky moved forward to the fence, when she felt the next mis-step she was 2 strides out...too late to change her plan.

No one feels worse about Sparky than Amy...he has suffered a galloping injury, jumping the last fence had no effect on the damage already done.

So please, take a break, give this excellent rider and horsewoman a break and honor a lovely horse who was more than game to go out and play.

She really doesn't need any more judgements than the ones she is placing on herself.

Comment

I have heard from someone who was there and saw this happen. They said she should have pulled up.

bad deal all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird!
        You know, though I have never evented - which seems to be the case with most of the posters on this thread... - .
        I think most of us are eventers - probably mostly Novice, Training and Prelim, but still eventers.

The fact that the crowd was screaming at her to pull up has been mentioned a few times. I was screaming at her through my computer screen as well. Honestly I wonder if she even heard them. When I'm out on XC, I'm so focussed on my partnership with the horse and the job at hand, I think you'd actually have to run out onto course in front of me to get my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by tempichange View Post
          It's very hard to pull a horse up in that much forward motion, let alone jam the breaks on and risk further injury.

There was NO forward motion...none. Any forward motion you see his her DRIVING this horse on....around a corner....to the next fence...and CONTINUED to the finish line. The horse clearly wanted to stop...CLEARLY!!! Before the injury he was tired, off the bridle, ears back. She did NOT have to jump the last...nor should she have.

Comment

Agreed snoopy.

sofiethewonderhorse, I appreciate your involvement in the sport. But you really oversimplified what happened. The horse broke down at least 30 strides from the jump. He was lame the whole time being ridden towards the last jump, trantering, trotting and swapping leads. There was a bend before the last jump and Amy had to steer the horse towards the jump to show it to him. He never locked on in an eager manner. He did his job as it was asked of him.
            Accuracy is the twin brother of honesty; inaccuracy, of dishonesty.
            Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

he was galloping, i would call that forward motion. amy is not the monster you are making her out to be, she was not kicking, flapping and whipping a horse standing still, she was finishing rolex on a tired horse who i'm sure if she thought was that badly injured she would have pulled up, otherwise what would she have to gain????
              Katie E
              Sadly horseless for a little while

Comment

Originally posted by sofiethewonderhorse View Post
                As Coal Creek's owner, I think I have some say on Amy's horsemanship skills and the decision that was made yesterday.

Sparky & Amy were at the beginning of their partnership, her longterm goals with this horse went FAR beyond winning this Rolex.

She felt the mis-step, Sparky then sighted the fence and Sparky moved forward to the fence, when she felt the next mis-step she was 2 strides out...too late to change her plan.

No one feels worse about Sparky than Amy...he has suffered a galloping injury, jumping the last fence had no effect on the damage already done.

So please, take a break, give this excellent rider and horsewoman a break and honor a lovely horse who was more than game to go out and play.

She really doesn't need any more judgements than the ones she is placing on herself.
                nicely said. my thoughts and prayers are with Amy and Sparky

Comment

No dogs in this fight. I am sure the decision she made will haunt her for the rest of her life. No excuses, no accusations. Jingling for all concerned.
                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

I just watched the video... That was really really horrible to watch. He looks like he switched leads to try and be more comfortable galloping. I agree, in the event I ever felt anything for more than a stride or two (which it usually takes to brush off when the horse hits himself) I would pull up no questions asked. I know everyones adrenaline is rushing, but these horses do know how to halt.

I am feeling pretty awful after watching that video.. Jingles for Amy and Sparky!!! This is a horrible thing to go through for both.
                    "Personally speaking, if for whatever reason I was stuck with absolutely only having to chose one breed, then it would without hesitation be a thoroughbred."

Comment

HE WAS NOT GALLOPING>>>>NO WAY. This horse was barely in canter and that was because he was being ridden aggressively to even acheive that gait. I have never said she was a monster....she KNEW something was wrong and CHOSE to complete. To those who say "well the damage wads done already so it did not hurt him to continue"....are you FLIPPING mad? What did she achieve by finishing? NOTHING....but continued discomfort for the horse. He had to carry his tired body on three legs not to mention the conciderable weight of his rider. Just because horses are generous by nature does not mean we are allowed to abuse there nature. I concider her actions ABUSE.
                      Last edited by snoopy; Apr. 30, 2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I will watch the video when I get home, but even so, Amy was on that horse, no one else. Everyone else is just a spectator and that is entirely a different perspective. What are you feeling when you watch the video? A chair beneath your butt and a floor underneath your feet. And where were you? In an office somewhere, perhaps living room, maybe an inter net cafe...but you certainly weren't there on course.

I am a complete novice, but when I have seen myself on video, riding, I often think--Wow, I am moving so much more slower than I though, my legs are moving everywhere, that jump is tiny, etc, I notice all of these things that seemed totally different to my experience on the horses back. Instead I felt like we were outrunning a freight train, I thought my legs were still, and the jump was HUGE. It’s so easy to sit there and judge in comfortable surroundings.

Maybe I will comment later, after I watch the video.

Comment

I think Amy is a wonderful rider and I have always respected her but she did make a bad call on this one.

If it would of been in the middle of the course and that happened she would of pulled up, even if the horse had it's eye on the next jump but I think adrenaline got the best of her and she knew she only had one last jump to get over. She had a corner where she could of turned left instead instead of right and gotten the horse stopped. These horses wouldn't be 4* horses if they weren't trained to listen to their rider. Think of Barbaro last year, if you can get a race horse stopped at the beginning of a race, you can get an event horse stopped at the end of a course. I have always been a big believer that when you have a split second choice of pulling up or continuing, you better play it safe and stop that horse, both for its safety and your own. No horse show, not even Rolex, is worth taking a chance when you obviously know your horse is injured.

With that being said, it doesn't change my opinion on Amy. She made a bad mistake but no one is perfect! And I'll keep both of them in my prayers!
                          **There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humour and the other is patience**

www.horseshelpingpeople.org

Comment

And before anyone dares engage me in my very vocal use of the word abuse please refer to the FEI article 143 and in particular section 1.5.

Comment

I agree with the posters who are calling BS. I was able to see both sides right up until I saw that video. There is NO way you can tell me that he felt ok from the saddle at any point. He took maybe 2 strides out of 30 that looked even halfway ok. He was hobbling and DEAD lame. I want to puke over what that horse went through. I agree with the other posters who said she was driving him to the fence, and certainly should never have pointed him to it in the first place. Couldn't pull him up my ass. Regardless of what sort of horsewoman she usually is, she did something VERY wrong that day. I am sure she knows that now, and regrets it, but he is the one who is paying the price. I feel badly for her that she is being crucified, but she knew what the right thing to do was, and didn't choose it. You can't make me believe she didn't know.
                              Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

I just don't know what to think.

I am really not thinking about Amy after watching this video because I feel so awful for the horse. I will probably come up with my opinion later, but for right now...ugh. That poor, poor horse. I can't even imagine how painful it was to jump like that...
                                T3DE Pact

Comment

I'm sure Amy made the best decision she could in the seconds she had, none of us have been in that exact spot. I'm also sure she will be regreting that decision for a long time, as they say hindsight is 20/20. I do doubt she knew how serious it was when she didn't pull him up immediately. There would be no reason to go on if you didn't think it was minor, this is eventing, not horse racing, and you need to pass the jog the next day. Those two had a bright future together.

~~~ jingles for everyone involved ~~~

Comment

I have the greatest respect for Amy and all those who compete at the top level of their sport. However, I have had a horse, high on adrenaline, land from a jump in the middle of a course, canter away on 3 legs and was able to pull him up before the next jump that was 4 strides away. This was in the middle of an Open Speed class, so we were going very forward and focused on the next fence. It is not a feeling that I ever want to have again in my life. Nothing popped, cracked, or whatever, he just came off the jump and cantered oddly so I stopped. In watching this video, the horse is obviously cantering lame in front of the jump and should have been stopped.

Best wished to La Samuri, Amy, and all those connected with the horse. May he heal quickly.

Comment

As someone already pointed out, had this happened anywhere else on course, she'd have pulled him up sooner. I think being that close to the finish line was a factor. You don't achieve the level of success that Amy T has without being an intensely competitive person, but sometimes that competitive streak can cloud your judgement.
                                      So it was a bad call, but don't know that I wouldn't have done the same being caught up in the moment.

Comment

Ok, right brain kicking in. Ex ante, there are two decisions:

1. Pull up. If it's "just a shoe" or a trip, you "gave up" a chance at winning Rolex. If it's bad, you may have saved the horse for the future, or the prognosis may have been the same (ie, hurt badly enough they are in the same boat as now).

2. Keep going, jump last fence, cross the line. If not serious, do what you can to make him ready for stadium, etc, see how he is later. If serious, well, that has played out. I guess the "worst case" is euthenasia.

Either decision has the possibility for lots of regret.

Ex post, the decision is easy. We are judging ex post, with much more information on the outcome than the rider had.

While I am in place to judge the rider's decison, there was a decision made, by the rider. The horse obeyed.
                                        "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

Comment

How some of you are coming to the conclusions you’re coming to based on this blurry, unsteady video is beyond me. The FEI is investigating. Why not wait until the facts are out before you burn Amy at the stake?

Comment

Working...
                                          X