• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I have decided to breed. Opinions on this stallion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have decided to breed. Opinions on this stallion?

I have weighed in all pros and cons of breeding and I have decided that yes, I am going to breed my mare. I love her and I want a baby from her. She has an exceptional personality and is my once in a life time horse. I will never sell this foal(unless its going to make me a ton of money), so I know that no matter what this foal comes out to be (even just a trail horse) it will have a life time home. Please no one try to talk me out of breeding because I have done all my research and what not and breeding my mare is what i want.

I want to breed her to Benno's Dream (I think). Here is a link to him and I was just wondering what everyone thought of him. My horse has a ton of jump in her, but what keeps her back in eventing is her movement for dressage, so i have picked a pony with exceptional dressage movement so I believe they will have a decent baby together.

Here it is! THanks

http://www.throughconnection.com/BennosDream.html
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Well, is he a good match for your mare? Conformation-wise, does he complement her build? Does he have traits that are very, very good that match up against her not-as-good traits? Is his temperament exceptional, and does he throw foals with the same temperament? How have his foals held up to competition, and are any of them eventers?

And why do you want a pony?

I certainly am not trying to talk you out of breeding, but does anyone but yourself think the mare is worth breeding? Trainer? Judges? Trusted horsepeople? I don't know too many people who don't LOVE their mares; I LOVE my mare, but she hasn't earned her place in the gene pool yet. If you put your mare in a lineup of "potential broodmares", would you choose her? Conformation excellent? Soundness? Trainability? Movement? The mare should be chosen with the same care as the stallion--you can find lovely broodmares for lease if what you want is a baby.

Anyway, FWIW the pony is adorable. I wouldn't choose him for an eventing sire, but that doesn't mean much--I'm not looking to breed a horse any time soon. My mare, much as I adore her, has a LONG way to go before she earns the right to be copied.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

If you posted a conformation shot of your mare, it might help people here to evaluate your stallion choice.
      "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Comment

A conformation shot and video of the mare would be helpful.

Why a pony if you want to event?

Not to be snarky, but two days ago you were jobless... do you need another mouth to feed?

Jennifer
        Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I committed ALL the breeding sins (bred horse with lameness issue who was not proven at anything besides losing shoes).

My advice to you is make sure the stallion has good feet and an excellent temperament. If you want a pony, breed for a pony. breed for one with spots and three tails if you want to, but make sure he's easy to work with. The stallion I chose for my mare had fantastic feet and passed them on - Star has lost about 3 shoes in her lifetime. However, he also passed on some temperament issues I am less enthusiastic about. Had I known about them, I would have chosen a different stallion.

Breeding is an incredibly rewarding experience - and you learn a ton - from the first heat cycle tracking to all those foal "firsts" it's probaly one of the best experiences you can have as a horseowner and trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue_Rider9 View Post
            My horse has a ton of jump in her, but what keeps her back in eventing is her movement for dressage...
            Really?

Could you link to your mare's USEA record here or at least describe her eventing experience?

Comment

There is a pretty strong tradition of successful event horses that are part pony, especially when the pony is Connemara.

A 14.2 German Riding Pony is truly just a short warmblood; if you're not looking for 16.2+ in the baby, no reason a pony can't be a good choice.
              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdCharm View Post
                A conformation shot and video of the mare would be helpful.

Why a pony if you want to event?

Not to be snarky, but two days ago you were jobless... do you need another mouth to feed?

Jennifer

There's nothing funny about being jobless but sometimes I wonder if people actually read what I (or anyone else) writes on here, you obviously take notes

back to OP: I don't care much for the stallion and I hate seeing cheesy pictures of horse's rearing.
                http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

An opinion and some advice...

I didn't look at the stallion, so wont comment on that, except... why a pony... anyway.

Breeding is serious business. You need to make sure you have a lot of time to devote to this foal. It's not a fairytale... they don't just pop out and then 3 or 4 years later you're on their back.. be experienced in breaking and training before you pop one out on the ground. Or be prepared to pay someone. We just had our first homebred this year and he just sucks the energy, time and money right out of me!
                  www.yellowroseeventing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Meredith Clark View Post

There's nothing funny about being jobless but sometimes I wonder if people actually read what I (or anyone else) writes on here, you obviously take notes

back to OP: I don't care much for the stallion and I hate seeing cheesy pictures of horse's rearing.
                    Now I want to go back and find that thread!

As far as the stallion goes - he looks alright, not much detail in his performance and at his age there should be.

No idea what your mare is like, so no idea if he he would be a good match. You need to figure that out and make sure even if this resulting pony can only ever trail ride, you won't pawn it off on someone else.

I don't mind people breeding a less than perfect mare to the best stallion they can for a keeper foal, BUT, you HAVE to be responsible for the foal's entire life somehow - including provisions in case something happens to you. I think it is more important for someone looking to sell a horse that the mare be perfect, a greater chance of getting a good foal with the abilities sought after in the market.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay, I will try to answer everyone, but if I leave anyone out, I am sorry.

I am not breeding for two more years. I will have a job when I breed and have enough money put away to cover any unexpected vet bills that may occur if the foal or mare have any problems.

I am breeding to a pony because my mare has never had a foal and I want her first (possible only) birth to go as smoothly as possible. I do not need a big horse because I am small and if I want to go to the upper levels I will either go on my mare or if she cant do it then I will buy. I dont expect my horse to produce an upper level horse no matter what I breed her to. There fore, the pony will do just fine for what I want.

My mare has not competed above BN, but we have schooled training and some prelim XC and stadium jumps, but with our dressage we are not ready to compete at training yet.. plus I am not ready to compete there yet. I have ridden with a few different trainers and all have told me that my horse will easily do well at training/prelim level including Bill Hoos and I value his opinion.

I have owned my mare since she was 11 months old and had never had a hand on here, and I did all the training. So I am very familar with what goes into training and taking care of a baby. I have also worked with green horses.. so I have that background as well. I have the time and knowledge and trainer(s) to get the foal trained. I am not going into this blindly.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1510860127
                      Here is the best conformation shot I could get of her. She also does open shows in showmanship
                      *Paige*
                      R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

I am not breeding for two more years. I will have a job when I breed and have enough money put away to cover any unexpected vet bills that may occur if the foal or mare have any problems.

C, I'm really not trying to pick on you, honest, but just remember you said that two years from now. Having a job doesn't automatically= extra money.

And I'm not in love with the stallion for your girl, either. I think it would be a good idea to breed her to something a little bit lighter and finer boned. Something looking more like a TB/welsh if you're going pony.
                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

just another pony option for you - if that is what you are looking at - hilltop has a beautiful german riding pony.

you follow your path - I hate it when people go outside of the question - you only asked what people thought of the stallion - and that is what people should have answered.

Don't get sidetracked. I follow a different path - a path I want to follow - and I have had a few people try to pooh-pooh me - I have my goal and will stick to it - opinions on the stallion is one thing - opinions on what you are doing don't belong on this post.

Comment

If you're afraid of the horse having problems during birth and are therefore willing to compromise on your stallion choice, well, you're probably in the rather large category of people who really aren't that enthusiastic about breeding. There is ALWAYS a risk to the mare giving birth, and the size of the foal has virtually nothing to do with it.

And schooling a few Training and Prelim XC jumps is not how anyone would define a horse that's ready or able to compete at those levels. And there are not many trainers out there who would tell someone, if asked, "no, this horse has no potential at all" because virtually ANYTHING that can get out of its own way can do Training level. It's OK to say she's a solid BN horse. There are lots of those, and many of them are worth their weight in gold. But if I wanted a baby, I'd choose BOTH parents with my "ideal" in mind. Why not start with the best POSSIBLE genes on BOTH sides, and make the crapshoot that is breeding just that much less of a crapshoot?

BTW, unless you have your own place, figure mid-5 figures for making and raising a foal to a useful age. Been there, done that, have the receipts.

ETA she's a pretty mare, but neither prospective parent says "eventer" to me. See the last sentence in paragraph 2.

Comment

• Original Poster

I said I wouldnt breed if I couldnt afford it. I have the money in savings to do it now, but I would like to have a job so I can replace the money in savings.. I have the whole finiancial aspect down.

On to the stallion, Why dont you like this one for my mare? Reasoning please? Since this is my first (possibly only) foal I would like to know exactly what i should look for. I thought he was a good match.. just wondering reasoning.
                              thanks all
                              ETA I do have my own place. and she is a soild BN horse, but she schools training level jumps. period. there fore she is better than a solid BN horse. If I would send her away for training, she would be a solid training level horse in a few months, but I want to do all the work her. Its a pride thing.

I am breeding to a pony because I want a pony. Yes, I want to keep my mare from any problems, but I know that breeding is dangerous no matter what it is. I want a pony. Period.
                              *Paige*
                              R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

No performance record in eventing.

Awkward size. (offspring will be neither pony nor full-sized horse)

No record of offspring competing in eventing.

Odd match. (I'm assuming your mare is a QH/cross?) with no real consistent "nick" to go by, meaning there aren't many GRP/QH crosses I know of competing.

Comment

On to the stallion, Why dont you like this one for my mare? Reasoning please? Since this is my first (possibly only) foal I would like to know exactly what i should look for. I thought he was a good match.. just wondering reasoning.
                                  thanks all
                                  I'm not a breeder, or a genetics freak, or a bloodlines guru- but she's QH-ish.

I would want to breed to something known for its cattiness, athleticism, and brains.

Warmbloods (or pony versions) tend towards none of those things.

I'd find a light-boned Connemara, TB or Welsh. You don't have to have extravagant movement to do well in dressage with the correct training.

Point in case:
                                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ss24/comet.jpg

That is my friend's horse who just did his first prelim and finished fourth on his dressage score.
                                  Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I want a pony. Period.
                                    Then find a small pony stallion -- your mare is a horse. You are highly unlikely to get a pony out of a horse mare and a 14.2hh stallion.

(Says she who bred a surprise pony out of her 16hh mare and a 15.2 1/2hh stallion. Serves me right... )

Comment

• Original Poster

My mare has TB in her. She's appendix. I am breeding more so for the Dressage aspect of this pony, not so much eventing. I dont expect the foal to come out a super eventer, but I feel that with my horses boldness and jumping ability and the fact that the stallion has jumping ability and is a good mover the foal would be an okay eventer..

This is why I asked for opinions. I dont claim to know it all I just wanted to know ya'lls thoughts on the match. If ya'll give me serious reasons why this pony doesnt fit my mare, I will look. I dont know everything. That is why I ask for advice! I do take ya'lls advice and I wish ya'll would understand that.

ETA: Who is hilltop? Any links to this pony?
                                      Last edited by Rescue_Rider9; Dec. 1, 2009, 09:29 PM.
                                      *Paige*
                                      R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

If ya'll give me serious reasons why this pony doesnt fit my mare, I will look.
                                        What would you consider a "serious reason"? He's not ugly, he's got great inspection scores, he's got a nice jump. Are you waiting for someone to tell you OH MY GOD HE'S AWFUL or something? Your mare is OK, it's obvious you love her, but what is it that YOU see in this stallion that tells you this is THE ideal match? Your opinion, after all, is the one that matters.

I totally, totally get it about breeding a beloved mare. Guilty. But what, PRECISELY, do you want? Do you really want an "OK eventer"?

I want a pony. Period.
                                        Best choose a stallion that's about 12 hands, then. And get him a ladder. (parenthetically, I've been saying that for 40+ years to anyone who asked what I wanted for Xmas. Did it work? NO. Had to buy my own darn pony)

Comment

Working...
                                        X