• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WINTER PLANS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINTER PLANS

Winter is approaching... this only means one thing

ready the steeds, sharpen the clipper blades, pack the trailer, repack trailer, wave goodbye to all your friends seething with envy...

AND...

HEAD DOWN SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is everyone going this winter? Who are you training with? I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!!!!!!!

I'll be seething with envy with my fuzzy ponies at home in VA :-)

Comment

Staying right here at home! The YP is working on the dreaded circles with the big horse, now fully recovered from whatever it was that knocked the wheels off in August/September and getting my fancy black 4 year old Aussie filly started at some schooling shows.

I am finally doing something for ME and am learning to drive. I have just inherited a wonderful upper level pony who had fallen on hard times - as he rehabs he teaches and we are having a blast. My goal is to make it to a CDE in a year or two, and force the guys in my life to groom for me!
      www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

For now the plan is to work on my dressage with Kitty for the next two months and jump a bit with Sally Cousins on a once a week basis. If all goes according to plan, Kitty, along with a couple of the youngsters and 2 of my FEI dressage horses and I will head to Aiken to avoid the cold for a bit. We'll invade Sally's barn so I can feed my addiction to jumping on a more regular schedule and start competing in February.

But you know what they say about the best laid plans and horses...so we will have to see what happens.
        Watermark Farm
        Blog
        Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
        You Tube Channel

Comment

Ah Tasker - we'll make you a full convert yet!
          http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

I think you guys are well on the way....I walked my Novice course at Rubicon with an eye firmly planted on the Prelim stuff that I 'happened' to walk by! Since I've been taking Kitty over to TP every once in a while and jumping some of the more complex stuff under Ryan's watchful eye...and torturing Sally 2xs each week...well, Novice doesn't intimidate me much anymore! Kitty (of course) is happy to jump ANYTHING!
            Watermark Farm
            Blog
            Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
            You Tube Channel

Comment

I, too will be seething with envy & shivering the winter away in the indoor on my fuzzy pony. I'd entertained the thought of going south again for part of this winter (maybe Aiken, went to SP & trained w/ Denny for a bit last year), but my boy's been battling lameness/illness off & on this summer/fall & I think we just need to hang out & get well!
              I might try to spend a few weeks with Sally Cousins this spring to get 'back up to speed'. I've never trained with her, but I've heard only good things about her as a trainer. Spring also comes to Pa. alot quicker than it comes to Mass....
              Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Comment

I have considered going down for a week or two in March - but it depends on work and if i can get away for that long, money and if my hubby will let me. LOL

I am super jealous of everyone who gets to go south for the entire winter.
                Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Comment

I'm in NC so I'll just be hauling over to SP for lessons all winter. Love living in the south.....

Jennifer
                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Hopefully I'll be legging up the FatPaintMare, who has her final ultrasound on that check ligament next week!!!

Comment

Dana---

If you get to compete in a CDE, I will BRAID your pony!

There may only be 4-5 braids---

They may each be the size of your fist---

They may each point a different direction---

They may cause you to suffer ridicule---

But it will get done.

Denny
                      http://www.tamarackhill.com/

Comment

Denny!!

Oh Baby - you are on!! Andrew will be both crushed AND impressed that you have offered to cripple yourself on my behalf. This is a 13.2 pony, there only needs to be 5-6 braids!

And since I now have lots of time on my hands. . . Deb Branson and I are driving lots!
                        www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

ooooh, envy.

My winter plan is to re-learn how to jump, only very low stuff since that's all I am allowed. If all goes well, I should be able to handle a "baby" 2-phase by the spring. My mare loves to jump and she has calmed down a lot in the past year, so is not quite so quick and is more rate-able. I may never be able to take her X/C but we'll see.
                          You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Vernon and I are going hunting! I'm very excited, though also extremely terrified of something happening to him. BUT, I think he'll be great, and I've been threatening to do it now for two years. It will be SO good for him, too, as he is NOT a mudder and I want him to learn to deal with mud. I may be hunting as soon as Thursday of this week. He'll also get a little time off to chill, and we'll also be maybe making some trips for some jumper rounds to keep my new found skills sharp and some dressage shows to work on us both. We are also already signed up for a clinic with Kim Severson next month, which should be fun.

We are also supposedly going to Aiken at some point, but probably later in the winter (late Feb and/or March?). It was such a semi-disaster last time when we went for 8 weeks, I think we're going to stay home and wait to go a little later. I'm sure I'll be more than ready, though, considering how much I hate winter.
                            Amanda

Comment

My guy will go south and I will visit on weekends as work allows. He is luckier than I am
                              OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Pegasusmom--Welcome to the dark side...driving that is! Such a natural progression for eventers looking for a new thrill. And ponies are just the best...we always get the "well, when are you going to get a horse" question; our answer, "Why?" Ponies kick butt.

We'd love to come down south this spring for a CDE; big "ifs" include if the weather up here allows us to condition in Jan/Feb (as long as we don't have a lot of ice we are okay) and whether we think our truck (my husband's first car!) will make the trip.

In the meantime, hoping to get my baby backed and started so I can dream of coming south one winter.

Comment

No Florida for me this winter... BOOO

My horse will be as hairy as a yak since I can only ride on weekends now due to daylight savings, my work hours and lack of lights in my outdoor ring...

He's getting his shoes pulled for the first time since I've owned him and gets a real winter vaca.

Comment

I think I am in the "fuzzy ponies, indoor, shivering with envy" (oh, was that seething? I, personally, will be shivering) camp.

Every year I wish I could "visit" denny in SP but every year it doesn't quite seem to work out (see above post, $, time, husband)...

However, I have
                                    1) one-just-moved-up-see-Ma! Training pony and
                                    2) one-cross-our-fingers-finally-fixed last-seen-as-a-prelim pony

and the idea of prepping BOTH to be sound, fit, and ready to go at Training in the spring will keep me plenty busy at home this winter, no matter.

Having two sound and lovely talented horses means I am not allowed to complain even WHEN I am ice-skating across the 70 acre field trying to chivy them in for the farrier. Well, ok, maybe just that one day.
                                    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Pegasus Mom, Denny and Third Charm - I hate you.....sigh.....Asterix, and anyone with an indoor....I hate you, too.....sigh......but here's the good news. I am back in the tack, after some healing time, and hope to be ready to hunt on opening day! Yeah!
                                      I have been looking for some local schooling shows for the greenies but it doesn't look like there is much for dressage or jumper shows locally this winter. I hate to travel too far for schooling shows, so not sure what we will be doing once I am back in the swing of things and riding more.
                                      I really wanted to try and get south this winter but more and more it is looking like work won't be too cooperative. Sigh again. This thread makes me sad. I feel like I ride alone all winter sometimes, except for hunting, which certainly saves our bacon!
                                      Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                                      Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Mare is going to Aiken with trainer. I'll be left behind freezing in snow & ice-bound New Hampshire. Mare has a better life than I do.
                                        -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X