• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

For those who started eventing later in life...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who started eventing later in life...

I'm curious how many people started eventing a little later in life. Me for example. I went to the '96 olympics and fell in love with the sport. At the time I was a carefree 23 year old. Well, shortly after that I got accepted into optometry school, met my husband, got married and had a baby....not much time for horses in there. At 31 I started riding again. At 35 I finally did my first recognized BN event. I'm hoping someday I'll be brave enough to do a Training level 3 day.....we'll see.

So when did you start, how far have you gone, and how far do you want to go??
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Harlequinn - redhead extraordinaire

Great thread. Spent my teen and young adult years working my *ss off in exchange for riding lessons. Rode a little in between college and having kids, finally got my very own horse at age 38. First event at 39.

Flash forward 3 years and a new horse and I'm having a BLAST at Training level. Working my hardest to see Prelim next year.

Age is a state of mind. Welcome to eventing
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

Me. I grew up riding western and had a 25-year break from horses. Started riding again only English at 41. A couple of years later, did my first BN event. I am starting all over again. I lost my mare three years ago and have been waiting for her baby to grow up. She is now 4 y.o. and been under saddle a year. But, I have to get back to being secure over fences with a youngster. So, I am really starting again later in life. :-)

Comment

I rode western for years. When my daughter started eventing I played at jumping for a good while. Didn't get to enter real events til a few years ago. So I have been eventing 2-3 years and I am 58 so that makes it about 55 when I started. I go Novice might go training but not prelim!

Comment

Be brave and have hope! My friend Walt Gervais started riding in his mid 50s, won his first novice at age 69, moved to training at age 70, and moved to prelim at age 72.

Walt went clean at training in his last event at age 80.

You CAN do these things if you are brave and work hard to be physically fit.
          http://www.tamarackhill.com/

Comment

I did eventing in Ct when I was 17, moved back home to La and started galloping TB's. Got out of that and tryed H/J and dressage and now at 29 I am back to eventing hopefully going to do a BN course by spring with my boy
            No Worries!

Comment

Had a few ponies when I was little and we lived on a farm, then once I started school we lived in town, and moved constantly due to my dad's job. No horses.

It wasn't until I moved out and got a job that I could start taking lessons, and it was a long time after that until I ever "competed" in my first unrecognized horse trial -- over ground poles! I was so nervous...

Bought an inappropriate horse. Survived that and bought the *perfect* been there done that former Prelim horse who can pack me around anything I choose to point him at. And subsequently discovered that while I love eventing, I don't really enjoy competing. So, we take lessons and go on trail rides, and I sponsor local events and go watch.

Welcome!
              --
              Wendy
              ... and Patrick

Comment

Denny, I remember reading an article some years ago about Walt and he became my hero. We have an older gentleman in our area that events and he is another hero of mine. So, there is hope yet to get back on cross country. :-)

Comment

Oooh, can I be a member of this clique? I rode for all of 6 months as a teen; once a week lessons. Then had to sublimate my love for horses until I found out that one could ride almost as much as one wanted by taking care of and exercising polo ponies. I was in my mid-20s and in grad school at the time.

Somehow in my 30s, I ended up with a $500 OTTB stallion who, at 16.3, was a little tall for polo. An acquaintance got me to try eventing (then called combined training) with him, and I was hooked. I took my first dressage lesson 22 years ago (!), and in the intervening years have had tons of fun, a share of heartaches, made 5 prelim horses, bred 11 foals and gone on to compete some of them, and now have gone back to the OTTBs. My goal for the coming season is to do a Training 3 day (shhhh: don't tell the fates!). We oldsters need our goals!
                  They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

I started riding in college, h/j, at age 18; foxhunted, finally took up eventing 6 years ago. Gully and I run training now, have hopes for a T3DE next year and, someday, prelim. I'm 42; he's 12.

Comment

• Original Poster

It's great to see so many responses and to know I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel a little silly competing against a 13 year old that can whip my butt, but I'm having a ton of fun!!!!

BBowen - I competed at the IDCTA finals at BN (and won). Thanks for doing such a wonderful job organizing the championships!! Good luck with your young one.

Denny - did Walt have a Morgan?? If so I saw the article too, and that guy is definitely my hero!!
                      Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
                      Harlequinn - redhead extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by eventerwannabe View Post
                        Denny - did Walt have a Morgan?? If so I saw the article too, and that guy is definitely my hero!!
                        I think you may be thinking of a guy who competes here in Area VIII on a Morgan and has been doing so for some time. I'm blanking on his name though.

Comment

I did do some eventing when I was young. Went to a couple of small local farm events when I was about 13 and then went to an eventing camp for one summer when I was 17. Life threw a lot of curves at me as an adult and so I didn't ride at all for over 20 years. Started back up again a year ago, bought a horse this past Spring, started eventing with her at a couple of schooling shows in the late Spring / early Summer and rode in my first sanctioned in July and did two more to round out the season (our season just ended). Only competed at BN this year, but may consider N next season if things go well. I'd like to think that I might go training some day, but frankly don't know if I'll ever have the nerve or the ability. But I don't have to think about that right now! In any case, I had a blast this season and feel like my mare and I have made great progress together. I'm also happy with how much I've been able to come back after such a long absence. Sometimes I feel a little self-conscious when most of our riders are young girls. The parents of these riders are my age and they're all there to watch and cheer, I think to myself, 'who the heck do I think I am?' but I'm having fun, so who cares?
                          -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do I sense a new clique developing? The "never-too-old-to-start-eventing clique"

Smarter than a 5th grader . . . maybe. Can still kick my 7th graders' butt in eventing . . . oh yeah!
                            Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

I rode as a kid, took lessons every week at a hunter/jumper barn. Like most teens, I stopped riding when I found boys and my drivers license. When my daughter was 8 (I was in my mid 30s), my mom gave her riding lessons. She loved it, rode well, and we bought her a horse when she was 10. I thought to myself that it was nuts that I love horses, own a horse, and don't ride. So I took a few lessons and it was sort of like riding a bike. My mind knew what my body should do, but the transmission to my body was a bit off. LOL. Anyway, I am now 45 and competed in BABY events a couple of years ago. And yes, I had my butt handed to my by 10 year olds. Anyway, my horse is not a very honest jumper and has been know to use his nasty run-out or after-fence-buck on occassion. Money IS an option, so I ride what I have. Combine that with a fractured heel last year (not horse related, but hit home how long it takes to heal), I am now a big chicken. I find myself preferring to volunteer at local events instead of competing in them. My horse and I are having a good time just putzing around the barn, trail riding, schooling tiny XC fences, and going on hunter paces. One day I hope to find my courage again and maybe one day compete at Novice.
                              Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Comment

Rode as a kid, some in college and grad school, then a hiatus. Started again in my early 30s, got into eventing in my mid 30s, about 7 years ago. After several false starts, got my lovely horse and together we conquered our fears (ditches! trakheners! ditch and walls! jumping into water! oh, wait, that was only HIS fear...), did the T3d, the AECs, and went Preliminary. He has been sidelined with first a serious and then a minor injury, and I've been learning how to bring a greenbean along with mr. asterix's young horse -- he's about to move up to Training, and I hope he'll be running the T3d a year from this weekend .

I often wish I had the fearlessness of my childhood, but it makes it all the sweeter when I manage to put aside the chatter of my adult mind and connect to my inner "kick on" kid...
                                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by denny View Post
                                  Be brave and have hope! My friend Walt Gervais started riding in his mid 50s, won his first novice at age 69, moved to training at age 70, and moved to prelim at age 72.

Walt went clean at training in his last event at age 80.

You CAN do these things if you are brave and work hard to be physically fit.
                                  Walt will always be my mentor...

This may sound strange to everyone, but I'm excited about my 60th birthday...running the Peachtree Road Race again AND eventing again! I THINK I've figured out a way to manage work, family, work, and lessons amidst the budget crunch educators face in Georgia...time sure isn't gonna wait for me!
                                  Last edited by RunForIt; Oct. 24, 2009, 07:35 AM.
                                  ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahsmom View Post
                                    I think you may be thinking of a guy who competes here in Area VIII on a Morgan and has been doing so for some time. I'm blanking on his name though.
                                    Stayner (Staynar?) Haller, I think

Comment

16 year hiatus

Was a barn rat until I stopped riding for a career, then at 43 came back to lessons. Did my first Novice at the end of this season... long time coming and at 50 (next year) I hope to do a T3DE .... woot Woot!
                                      Live, Laugh, Love
                                      http://confessionsofanaaer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, Stayner Haller is the guy who competes in Area VIII. I am pretty sure he is in his 70's now. He didn't compete after July of this year, not because of himself, but his trusty partner, Challis, was showing his age. Challis is in his mid-20's and together they completed over 100 events. He's still a healthy and opinionated Morgan, but he's not up to tackling Training level anymore. However, Stayner is still in great shape so we are all hoping that he buys himself another horse so he can compete again.

I too, started eventing as an adult. Was a horse crazy kid that never got to have a horse. Bought my first horse in my 20's and did my first event in my 20's--on my first horse--an Arab! Was completely hooked and have also competed at dressage and competitive trail riding, but always drift back to eventing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X