• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

where is your favorite cross country course and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is your favorite cross country course and why?

I was just thinking about all of the courses I have ridden and what I liked and disliked about them. My 2 favorites in my life were Jackson Hole (I think it is gone now) It was a very scary looking course that rode really well. I always felt like I could jump the world after doing that course. My other favorite is Jumping branch. It is a nice move up course, I always feel good when my horse has a positive experience his first time doing a higher level. What is your favorite course and why? Extra points if you know the course designer. Oh, and lets try to keep it positive, OK?

It's been a little bit since I Evented, but I think Hunter Oaks in Illinois is super neat. They hold their event in October, so their beautiful, hilly property is fun and bursting with gorgeous, Fall colors.

And because I have some really fond, great memories from Wayne and Barrington, I'll mention those, too.

(now I *really* miss it...)

Comment

I've only been a groom/spectator, but Groton House is the best I've seen in Area 1... Lovely old-fashioned gallopy course, and nearly everyone looks like they are having a blast out there!
      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Millbrook, its the only place you can find monkeys that close to a XC course. Lol
        Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
        www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

Originally posted by Timex View Post
          Millbrook, its the only place you can find monkeys that close to a XC course. Lol
          I agree. It is GORGEOUS! The jumps and great, its true to the level, the people are very friendly, it's definitely well run, and the epitome of a perfect event. Everyone should go at least once. I am in love with Millbrook :P

Comment

I loved the novice courses at Menfelt (which I don't think exists anymore) and FHI...
            also Full Moon Farm, did a 'pipe opener' there and was very cool to get to try different jumps on course depending how it was going
            'Not all those who wander are lost.'

Comment

The Kentucky Horse Park, because when I moved to KY from CA, I thought it was the most amazing thing that I was riding on the same land, and by the same fences as the Rolex competitors Every time I ride there I get a chill as I go into the infield. And the course is always beautiful, with good footing and fun fences!

Comment

Oh you are so lucky to be able to ride there! I am very jealous!

My favorite is Plantation, and for the same reason previously mentioned, I always seem to feel like a million bucks after finishing a ride there...for some reason I can see my spot to the fences...I remember doing novice, and thinking how scary the Weldon's Wall and privet hedge was on the Training course....then I did training, and now they aren't scary any more...and am looking forward to possibly getting the Preliminary course under my belt some day, too. Everything seems so easily progressive there and the footing is to die for. My horse "got" eventing there. It was his first event and he figured out what I wanted him to do there....it will always be good for me there no matter where we finish.
                Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Hunter's Run which has great questions and just enough terrain to make it interesting.

Galway which is a wonderful galloping course

Pine Top which just always seems great, though sometimes hard
                  OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I got to ride at Lexington Horse Park (KY) once for Pony Club Championships, and it was one of the best rides of my life! It's such an honor to do that course.

My favorite course from yesteryear was Blue Ridge. It is too bad there is no event there anymore.

As for current events, I will always love Waredaca. Morven is wonderful, too...it's so great when the courses are gallopy and inviting while also posing appropriate questions.

Comment

Otter Creek in Area IV. Great footing, big gallopy courses, and the grounds and facilities are gorgeous!
                      “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Comment

I absolutely loved Inavale, in Oregon. I competed there for the first time this year, and after competing on California dirt, the grass footing and the wooded XC course was just lovely Many of the jumps were maxed out, but open and inviting to riders and horses alike.

Comment

I like the VA HT's in Lexington. The course is always friendly. I've ridden from BN-P there. I think sometimes they can be good move-up courses. Maybe it's because I always have good luck when I go there! I have quite a few firsts and seconds.

I also like the logical course design, like the fact that they usually have the ditches/treks. at the end of the course, so you and your horse are feeling confident. Plus, I love fall weather, even if I might be cursing it in the mornings when I go to feed my horse at the Horse Center.
                          Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

I've only ridden at four recognized HTs but have to say VAHT and Middleburg. They're both big open, gallopy courses. And VAHT probably wins because the facilities are amazing

I had fun at Morven Park on the longer stretches, but the middle of the course was just packed.

I've seen pictures from Groton House and really want to ride there some day (mostly because of the cool water complex ) And of course I want to hit up KY Horse Park and a lot of the courses in the Carolinas

Comment

Richland Park, MI. Beautiful, galloping courses, tough questions, horses seem to love to jump there.

Comment

I LOVED Waredaca's August Novice course- I hope the one on Sunday is similar. It was big, technical, had room to gallop and lots of places where you needed to think. I was smiling the entire way around.

Morven was our first recognized Training ever and I thought the course was huge, but amazing to ride. I was scared to death walking the course and on top of the world when we finished clean.

Comment

Chase Creek in British Columbia here is a short vid of my retired horse and I on their course http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsH_a5VTfAE It was just a blast to ride.

Now for the area I live in (please can I go back to BC? please?) Hands down I would say Otter Creek. The course is fantastic. The people are great. You just can't beat them in the area.

Comment

I've competed in CA, the SE, NW, and BC at nearly every event and can honestly say that there is a tie between Galway Downs, 3 Day Ranch, and Twin Rivers... Ironically, they are all in Area VI! Ian Stark has created a wonderful galloping course at Galway, but there are some very technical questions and even at the early season events, fences are typically maxed out, but very logical and inviting and easy to establish a rhythm on. 3Day is designed by David O'Connor and the course has some lovely rolling terrain and very tricky questions. Different parts of the course have different themes and even with good galloping spaces, it's hard to make time. Twin Rivers is designed by Derek diGrazia and is as technical as they come, but with some good hills and great footing--plus being in the heart of Central Coast wine country with a winery across the street-- it's beautiful, too. In Area VII, my favorite course is Aspen Farms, owned and designed by Jon Elliott. I rode there the first year the event ran and the quality of the fences brought tears to my eyes. Not a single detail was left off and again the course had different themes, including a sailing ship and an ice chest filled with beer and candy at the water! In Area III, Poplar Place is a favorite and probably the most technical course I've gotten to run on the East Coast. And the poster that mentioned Chase in BC hit the nail on the head! Losing that event was a tragic loss to all eventers in the Western Hemisphere!
                                    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Comment

I love Huntington Farm (VT). It's not the fanciest course around, by any means, but it--the whole event, really--just makes me feel good.
                                      bullyandblaze.wordpress.com

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
                                      - Welcome to Night Vale

Comment

Carolina Horse Park, probably because I've ridden there the most.

Groton House I love for the save reason as a previous poster -- nice, gallopy, open course.

And of course Morven Park because you feel like a total rock star when you survivie - er, I mean finish.

Man I miss eventing!

Comment

Working...
                                        X