• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Interesting view point from Boyd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting view point from Boyd

I am not sure as to how to interpret this comment. Those who did decide to WD did so for the welfare of their horses...That is also to "man-up".

http://www.eventingnews.com/stories....nal&title=Boyd Martin Claims his First CCI*** Win at Fair Hill International

"He's a tough mongrel of a horse, a lot of the horses here today were not fancy show ponies - if you saw them as people they'd be barflies", said Martin of the select group of horses that conquered yesterday's cross-country course. "When it comes down to a gladiator style fight, you get the tough horses and riders, the ones who can man up when things aren't perfect."

"He's a tough mongrel of a horse, a lot of the horses here today were not fancy show ponies - if you saw them as people they'd be barflies", said Martin of the select group of horses that conquered yesterday's cross-country course. "When it comes down to a gladiator style fight, you get the tough horses and riders, the ones who can man up when things aren't perfect."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems to contradict himself. First he says they were NOT fancy show ponies which says to me they were tough and gritty. Then he says they were "bar flies" Not sure what they were???

Also, I do think to say the ones who "man up" are the toughest (parahrased.) Not the best thing to say.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

• Original Poster

I get his point, definitily...BUT...I think that it was wise for those who did not feel the conditions were right for their horses to WD. I do not think it showed lack of "balls" not to run. From what I gather, this was not a bit of drizzle and some slick grass.

Comment

granted, I'm not riding around these big courses and i don't know how bad the conditions really were, but isn't the point of a three day event to show who has the most "complete" horse. its not just about speed and endurance, but bravery, toughness, and rideability.

seems like we really are getting a little smarter these days and taking care of ourselves and our horses better, but this risk aversion takes away some of the cowboy in the sport, and with it a little bit of its soul...

Comment

I think the bar fly comment isn't really complimentary - bar flies are tough gritty, maybe a bit seedy.

If a rider chose not to take his/her horse around that course we shouldn't fault them. They know their animals and themselves. Some horses are tougher than others. They don't care about weather, footing or conditions. Some horses care greatly and don't like to jump in deep mud, or when the ground is hard - pick your less than ideal condition - but some horses will get out there and get the job done no matter what.

I think that was his point.

Comment

The Saturday evening press conference discussed these issues pretty thoroughly.
            http://www.videobypatrick.com/
            It's never WRONG to decide to ride another day, and we should be very careful to NOT CRITICIZE those who run. Brian O'Connor's comment Sunday morning on "the incredible horsemanship" he saw on Saturday was particularly poignant.

Comment

The *** horse I was grooming for was withdrawn cross country morning. Why did they withdraw, the horse has already ran a 4-star and is qualified for anything she wants to do. We got to the barn Saturday morning to find him up to his fetlocks in standing water. They were not about to risk an injury to him, and they hacked the course to shreds trying to make it safe enough to run anyway. Honestly at that point, why bother. We packed up and got him out of there and he is on his way home. I feel it was definately in the horses best interest to not run and risk injury when he was already standing in his very own water jump in his stall.

Comment

I don't think the comment was disrespectful of those who opted out. Just a statement of the two types of horses and riders he sees in our sport - the old fashioned "gladiators" and the modern short format type "show ponies." Remember what his orientation is - wild wooly Aussie!

Comment

The comment really doesn't bother me. He was describing the horses that ran, not the ones that didn't. While I understand why someone reading might jump to that comparison, I doubt it was intended.

I don't expect top riders to be particularly good at PR. Boyd by his action demonstrates himself to be a pretty good horseman, unless he actually does something with a horse that shows disregard I'll leave him where he is in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by flutie1 View Post
                    I don't think the comment was disrespectful of those who opted out. Just a statement of the two types of horses and riders he sees in our sport - the old fashioned "gladiators" and the modern short format type "show ponies." Remember what his orientation is - wild wooly Aussie!

I agree. Comeon folks....get a grip. Everyone knows that you make the decision based on what is best for each horse and Boyd wasn't saying anyone decision not to run was wrong....but I did watch a lot of the xc for the *** (didn't watch any of the **)...it was probably on the whole the best group of horses and riders that I've seen at Fair Hill in a few years. Mostly top notch riding and very few problems (compared with typical years).

Boyd's horse that won looked like he was just skipping around the course....and I saw him at the back 1/3. I wasn't surprised he made time...he was holding his lines the best of any of the rides which made for a very smooth trip.

I'm sure there were pleanty of horses that WD because they didn't need the run but would have been fine....and I'm sure that there were a few that it was a good thing they were WD because even in the best conditions, it would have been iffy to watch them go around. The conditions did weed out some of the riders....in a manner far more effective than any qualifications any governing body will ever come up with.

The ones that did go....made the decision that they were ready and the conditions were acceptable (even if not ideal). The footing actually held pretty well but was a bit heavy so the less than really fit horses were tired by the end....but many didn't look tired. You risk injury to your horse any time you run and jump.....and at this level, even more so. The sport has never been one about perfect conditions and perfect footing....although that is ideal....it has always been about doing the prep that you need to for the less than ideal conditions......and then the rider giving the horse the best ride to help them both succeed. And for the most part....that is what I saw...really good riding and well prepared horses riding in not perfect conditions (but not dangerous conditions either).
                    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Oct. 19, 2009, 10:43 AM.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

You really had to know your horse to run out there. Everyone who ran, ran it very smart. Most retired after their first problem. Most of the horses that were out there were lighter horses who could handle the mud. The footing actually held up quite decently. Had 1/2 the feild not w/d then that could have been another story.

I was suprised they chose to pull so many fences from the course. It watered down both courses a lot, but mostly the **. Why not adjust the time instead o pulling everything off? The ** was much twistier than the ***, but the only combinations left in were the water and the sunken road and the turning question in the ring.

There was still a lot of trouble out there for both levels, but the riding was smart and for the most part, the horses of the riders who opted to go looked fantastic. It's about all three phases.

Don't get me wrong, I could never have ridden my horse in that, but that's due to the way he is and his past. Everyone makes individual decisions hopefully, and choosing not to run for whatever reason is NEVER a bad idea... however, choosing to run even when the going is not great isn't necessarily a bad one either, depending on the horse.

Comment

Personally, I commend every rider who chose to withdraw their horses on CC day. That shows true love of the animal and respect for same if they did not want to risk injuring their horses. I also don't fault those who chose to go for it. My biggest fear was that some young hot dogs would not use sound judgement seeing that they had a shot of placing due to all of the withdraws. Not so. Apparently, most riders rode conservatively and smart.

I do wonder how the final placings would have ended up had those who WD chosen to run. Some excellent horse/rider combos chose not to run. Does the fact that almost half of the riders that withdrew their horses before the CC detract/take anything away from the final placing? Would the top ten have been the same? Don't know, as I am a DQ, not an eventer. I admire the courage and heart of the horses that do event, however it is not my thing. Love to go to FH each year to watch though.

Comment

• Original Poster

Since I did not see the course or the conditions, just wondering if the type of modern course actually makes these conditions more dangerous. With so many combination/cluster jumping efforts where even the smallest of slip could have disasterous results, will we see more elective withdrawls? The old, more straight forward courses and the weather conditions may not have seen so many decide to WD. I think it should be noted that some that I spoke to would have liked to have completed but already had their qualifications for next year and thought it was not worth the risk. I think there are many factors for a decision to withdraw. I believe it is the "man up" comment that did not sit well with me.

Comment

I agree. Comeon folks....get a grip. Everyone knows that you make the decision based on what is best for each horse and Boyd wasn't saying anyone decision not to run was wrong....but I did watch a lot of the xc for the *** (didn't watch any of the **)...it was probably on the whole the best group of horses and riders that I've seen at Fair Hill in a few years. Mostly top notch riding and very few problems (compared with typical years).

I agree with this comment. It seems someone always has to dissect remarks and try to find something to criticize.
                            Perhaps those folks should find something more constructive to do with their time and energy imo - volunteering, working for a non-profit, you know . . . get a job . . .

kcr

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy View Post
                              Since I did not see the course or the conditions, just wondering if the type of modern course actually makes these conditions more dangerous. With so many combination/cluster jumping efforts where even the smallest of slip could have disasterous results, will we see more elective withdrawls? The old, more straight forward courses and the weather conditions may not have seen so many decide to WD. I think it should be noted that some that I spoke to would have liked to have completed but already had their qualifications for next year and thought it was not worth the risk. I think there are many factors for a decision to withdraw. I believe it is the "man up" comment that did not sit well with me.

The *** was a very straight forward *** course...with many of the combinations being removed. The few combinations left in rode best when ridden forward...there were a few accuracy questions...espcially in the holding the lines...and a few just straight forward galloping fences.

The "man up" comment was I believe because the conditions SUCKED for the rider more than the horses. It was cold and WET and very miserable to be outside...but the footing wasn't as bad as I have ever seen. Very well established turf....the footing had been hard leading up to the event and most of the rain was steady and light so it had time to really soak in. The organizers did a very good job at putting down a lot of stone dust where needed and the volunteers kept the take off and landings well groomed. I think it was better conditions than if there had been no rain and the ground stayed rock hard...but that is just me I suppose.

At least at the *** level, I didn't see any really trouble with the footing in terms of slipping or struggling.....but yes, if you asked most folks there.....it was the sort of day that MOST of us would have given the ponies a day off and stayed in bed if given a choice....in fact...from Thursday on it was like that. It just wasn't pleasant...and the type of day one stays inside curled up with a good book and hot coco.

But it was the sort of conditions that 15 years ago...I do believe MOST competitors who were entered would have still run....and would have been fine. It is a different sport now.
                              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Oct. 19, 2009, 11:22 AM. Reason: to add a bit more
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                The *** was a very straight forward course...with most of the combinations being removed. The few combinations left in rode best when ridden forward...there were a few accuracy questions...espcially in the holding the lines...and a few just straight forward galloping fences.

The "man up" comment was I believe because the conditions SUCKED for the rider more than the horses. It was cold and WET and very miserable to be outside...but the footing wasn't as bad as I have ever seen. Very well established turf....the footing had been hard leading up to the event and most of the rain was steady and light so it had time to really soak in. The organizers did a very good job at putting down a lot of stone dust where needed and the volunteers keep the take off and landings well groomed.

At least at the *** level, I didn't see any really trouble with the footing in terms of slipping or struggling.....but yes, if you asked most folks there.....it was the sort of day that MOST of us would have given the ponies a day off and stayed in bed if given a choice....in fact...from Thursday on it was like that. It just wasn't pleasant...and the type of day one stays inside curled up with a good book and hot coco.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man+up

For me anyway, I have only ever heard the term "man-up" used in the number 1 instance...so reading it in that context, it can come off a bit....

But it could also be used in the number 3 context, which would validate the opinions of most of the posters.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrubin View Post
                                  I agree with this comment. It seems someone always has to dissect remarks and try to find something to criticize.
                                  Perhaps those folks should find something more constructive to do with their time and energy imo - volunteering, working for a non-profit, you know . . . get a job . . .

kcr

A single comment taken out of context, put into electronic format and spread only by reading can certainly cause ANYONE to wonder WTF? Add the possibility of a cultural barrier and it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility for folks to get the wrong impression of the comment. so to tell them to go get a job is a bit rude.
                                  "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

I didn't see the courses either, but it could be that certain fences may have been pulled because they had become inaccessible to emergency vehicles (such as ambulances equine rescue. etc.)

I keep thinking back to Bruce's text book round at Rolex on Little Tricky a few years back when the rain had been falling hard for several days. He knew his horse's capabilities just as Boyd did this year at FH.

Comment

Good god...
                                      I love what he said. Great analogies. And any horse at that level is a brawler.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                        But it was the sort of conditions that 15 years ago...I do believe MOST competitors who were entered would have still run....and would have been fine. It is a different sport now.
                                        You would have had phases A-C to see how your horse was feeling and how it was handling the conditions.

But then eventing didn't exactly 'man-up' to retain the LF.

Comment

Working...
                                        X