• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What skill level is a C3 Pony Clubber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What skill level is a C3 Pony Clubber?

I have tried w/o success to access the USPC website -- so I'm asking here. Would you call a C3 PCer a beginner, intermediate or what level rider? Would you think they are capable of riding a horse that is green in many situations and has very little schooling o/f? I know there are variables, I'm just trying to get an idea.
    TIA
    PennyG

A C3 is *roughly* equivalent to a Training Level Event rider (or possibly novice getting ready to go Training). When I say "roughly", equivalent, that means they may not truly be capable of going out and running a full Training Level Horse Trials... or they may be ready to go prelim -- can really vary based upon their other qualifications/horse. They are not a beginner by any means, but are usually demonstrating their skill level on seasoned mounts -- they are not expected to have the skills to bring a horse up to that level.

I would NOT use a C3 Pony Club rating alone as an absolute credential for starting a green horse over fences or being capable of riding a green horse. They might be or they might not be and a lot depends on the horse in question. Personally, if this person is still a junior, I don't think it is appropriate (but I am extremely conservative). We have had several C3's in our barn and they are excellent riders (way better than me!). However, I still wouldn't put them on a green horse nor expect them to introduce/train them over fences (again, very safety minded and just don't think they need to do that yet).

Hope that helps?
    Last edited by SevenDogs; Oct. 7, 2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

A C3 should be proficient at Training Level. Check on the USPC website under forms...search for C3 Rating.

Comment

they are not ment to be able to ride green horses at the c3 level

Comment

The pony club site is down: but I found this 2004 C-3 checklist. http://www.fallbrookponyclub.com/for...lification.pdf

Comment

In the Pony Club book, it states that C Level is considered "Intermediate." And, C-3 is the "beginning of advanced horsemanship." Keep in mind, Pony Club rates you on riding AND horsemanship.

You want to be able to ride from inside leg to outside rein, properly bending a horse, use half halts, know basic lateral work, how to make proper transitions and, etc. So, probably somewhere around 1st or 2nd level dressage.

As far as jumping, you want to have good jumping form over both stadium and cross country fences, and be able to see your distances, and know your cross country pace. I can't remember what the fence heights are, but I would assume at least Training Level Eventing.

Again, they pay a lot of attention to horsemanship, so you will need to have good working knowledge of veterinary care, shoeing and trimming, nutrition, conformation and soundness, etc.

I hope that helps. I was in Pony Club years ago, and only made it up to C-2 before turning 18. I think you have until 21 or so to continue through Pony Club now.

FYI, you can buy the Pony Club Manuals online or in some tack shops.

Comment

The USPC website has been down all day.

The testing for C3's does not include riding green horses.

But I have seen C3's who are capable of it and other C3's....not so much
              Depends on the individual.

Comment

Originally posted by breyerblu View Post
                But I have seen C3's who are capable of it and other C3's....not so much
                Depends on the individual.
                Also depends on who the examiner was that passed them...
                Road to the T3D
                Translation
                fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
                skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Comment

oh yeah...sad but true.
                  Also depends on who the examiner was that passed them...
                  also--the ratings changed at the start of this year. They have been watered down. a C2 no longer has to ride w/o stirrups at all gaits. That now starts at the C3 level.

You'd have to judge each rider with the horse. My daughter has her 2nd green project. She is not a C3 but started a pony at 10 and that pony has been to Championships in games and also is an avid foxhunter. She now has another 3 year old...and this pony will go to the hunter ring in Greens next year. Both were very sane and safe ponies for a young girl to start.

Comment

C3 is a national rating, and from what I have seen nothing has been watered down. There are two or three examiners coming from different parts of the country expecting the rider to come in "owning" the test. Besides expecting a competent and knowledgeable rider, that rider better be confident in everything they do.

However, there is nothing about training green horses at the C3 level. And they do like to see horses that are "appropriate" for the rating.

Now that it is at the National level, I have seen less disparity between the kids obtaining this rating than when it was at the regional level.

Comment

I was a C-2 in PC when I quit. I could have easily done my C-3, but my club required you to ride with their instructor to "prep" you and I was not at all impressed with the riders that the instructor was putting out and refused to ride with her. I therefore quit PC shortly after. I was riding my own horse at Training/Prelim and schooled a lot of Intermediate questions(who I bought as a very calm/quiet 4y/o doing BN). I also rode/helped start a few of my trainers OTTB's. That said there were a few of our C-2 and up PCers I wouldn't have let use my horse based on their track records with their own horses. It really does vary!
                      Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

I just recently got my C3 and what the PIP (head tester) said at the end of my rating was exactly what you guys said "We passed some who are knocking on the B door and others who are just climbing through the C3 window". The only reason it took me this long to get mine is because I didnt have a horse to do it on.
                        The levels vary a lot and I would never go to a new barn to ride horses for them and only state that I am a C3 pony clubber.
                        I work with OTTBs rehabbing them when they get off the track and I have started quite a few over fences, including my own who is about to go training level. And I got this opportunity from a racehorse adoption agency after they saw the success I had with mine (with the help of my trainer). There are a couple of C3's I know that I would not let them get on some of my younger ones.

I would say that a B or an HA, and definitely an A, should have the knowledge and level of riding to ride a green horse and even start them over fences, and could go to a barn saying they're that level and have the barn trust them, to an extent.
                        Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all that responded! Very good information and insight. I am asking for a horse that I bred and trained that is being asked about by a C3 eventer. He is not a baby, but has not had much off the farm experience -- has not shown/cliniced or seen that kind of activity. He has not had alot of schoolling over fences, but is pretty solid in his dressage foundation and trail rides. He is mostly very good and listens, very soft to the aids and very talented, but is very aware of everything around him and quite keen, needs a rider that has the skill level to help him if necessary. He doesn't have any issues, very sweet and willing and fun, I just want him well matched -- he is quite special to me. Thanks, I'll see what develops.
                          PennyG

Comment

C3 is now a specialty rating, meaning that a pc kid can get a C3in dressage, show jumping or traditional(eventing). This changed in the past year or so when the HB was introduced. During the national testing which typically involves 3 national examiners candidates are expected to switch mounts and must be able to ride the switch horse as well as the owner/rider.
                            WE were at NAJYRCs doing the CIC* and all kids on the team came from pony club backgrounds..we had 2 Bs and 2 C3s on our team.
                            Technically it is not until the A rating that kids have to be 'trainers' but by C3 level they may have any great skills. A C3 should be equivalent to a training level eventer. There should be sound horse management practices...
                            I would anticipate that a C3 have the skills you are looking for...
                            I've learned more from the back of a horse than most folks ever get to know...
                            Templeton Thompson 'Girls and Horses' CD

Comment

depends on examiner, specialty, a variety of variables.

IMO a C-3 SHOULD be quite proficient with a green horse. They should have exceptional horse management practices as well.

Comment

TKR,

I took my C3 way back when I was in Pony Club. I think that giving a rating level is a good place to start, gives people a basic idea of your skills.

As far as riding green horses... I recall from prepping for my C3 that a C3 rider was expected to be able to get on a new or strange horse, and ride it and either improve it slightly or at least not mess it up. In my testing for the switch horses, the examiners expected riders to be able to perform as well or better than the mount's original rider. By "better" it sometimes meant simply getting a horse forward. Could have been more complex, like getting more correct lateral work.

I feel a C3 is a good foundation and a fairly good descriptor, but in no means a credential that speaks to how well a particular rider will get on with a particular horse. It in no way recognizes an ability to train a green horse.

A really close friend of mine got her C3 at a relatively young age. She wasn't the type that I'd put on a green horse, not because she didnt have the knowledge or skills, but because of her temperment and personal philosophy of riding. I've seen other C3s that are capable of tactfully riding a green horse.

And finally, even though I girded my loins and got through my C3 on my pony, I don't like riding a hot or spooky horse, or really jumping much over the C3 height in the least. So the C3 that contacted you might be CAPABLE of riding your guy but may not be the type of ride she's looking for.

Hope this ramble helps some!

Comment

The traditional C3 certainly has the proficiency to go out and event at training (given an appropriate horse). As others have said, just because the test doesn't require proficiency in riding/training green horses doesn't mean that the rider doesn't have those skills. For every rider who passes on a made horse, I'd bet there's one who passes on a horse she made herself. Or, nearly as many.

The C3 candidate must demonstrate a certain level of maturity and understanding of riding theory to pass, no matter how good a rider she might be. I feel like the rating is actually a better indicator of riding and horsemanship skills than a really good record at training level, in a lot of cases.

I would be very encouraged if a C3 or above PCer contacted me about a horse. Certainly, she might not get along with the horse, but she's probably a pretty competent rider.

Comment

There really is huge variation in what can pass at any pony club rating. Sometimes candidates just barely eek by, and sometimes they exceed expectations. I took my C3 5 or so years ago and I would say that I was a pretty solid training level rider at the time, but had little experience with very green horses. At the same time, the horse that I had at the time was an uber sensitive TB who could have "green" moments from time to time so when I started working green horses a couple years later it was an easy transition. I think that a rider who properly prepared for their C3 by sitting on a lot of different types of horses should be able to adapt and cope with a green horse. The reason being that you never know what someone is going to bring to ride at a testing that you might have to switch onto.

Comment

[quote=OneMoreForTheRoad;4424732]I just recently got my C3 and what the PIP (head tester) said at the end of my rating was exactly what you guys said "We passed some who are knocking on the B door and others who are just climbing through the C3 window".

Very well put. Definitely depends on the rider. My son only reached C-2 level, but competes at Intermediate with an eye towards moving up and is an A grade polocrosse player.

Bosox - got your message - Mr. PM is still out of the country and won't make the BOG meeting, but he will forward your comments on.
                                      www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

Originally posted by specialK View Post
                                        C3 is now a specialty rating, meaning that a pc kid can get a C3in dressage, show jumping or traditional(eventing).
                                        What? This makes me really sad. I am sorry but the entire purpose was to produce horsemen(women) and they should be able to do all of those things. All the old time dressage and show jumping specialists managed to achieve their national ratings just fine.

I was prepped for all of my national ratings by a local hunter jumper pro who was an "A" graduate, and I took the majority of my ratings with a good friend who was an equitation rider. Not to mention for a good period of time I was the only eventer in my "show jumping" pony club (it put on an A rated show that held a grand prix) and the club had the highest number of HA/A in the area.

I have noticed myself in the lower level testings I do that the tack and the horses are not as clean as they were even 5-8 years ago. It all makes me sad, I think Pony Club is one of the best institutions there is.

Comment

Working...
                                        X