• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How often do you fall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you fall?

How often do you fall? Or how often does your horse trip/stumble badly enough for you to fall?

Yesterday I was trotting in a grassy area and my horse tripped in a soft spot, and did a somersault. I went off over her head and she rolled on top of my right leg. It was a freak thing - the rare times that she trips she always recovers her balance. I am bruised and sore but ok, and feel like I need to get on her today. I am not usually fearful but this freaked me out. I do all my riding in a dirt area when it's not muddy, or grassy area, or up and down the dirt roads - I don't have an arena to ride in. So all of my footing is uneven. Ever had a horse trip and fall, or fall on you? Should I just brush it off as something that rarely happens? I haven't fallen in... I don't even remember the last time I fell. I think it was 7 years ago when I got on a green horse bareback and she bucked (stupid idea!). I'm unreasonably scared, tell me to go get on my wonderful horse and get some confidence back.

It happens. It has happened to me (in an arena!) and, yes, it is kind of unsettling at best. Obviously if there are any other issues or it is happening with any regularity, getting checked out by the vet is in order. But it sounds more like a freak thing like he/she just caught a toe in a rough spot.

Go get back on your horse as long as you are sure she didn't sustain any injuries. Walk if that's all you feel like doing or go for a trail ride. Chances are the horse didn't have a great experience either and isn't likely to let that happen again.

Comment

Haha! My new favorite saying is I USED to fall off....I don't anymore

So far that has served me well....been back eventing for a year and no falls to date.....10 years ago I fell off at every event it seemed (bad pony!).....

Comment

Originally posted by grey_pony View Post
        Ever had a horse trip and fall, or fall on you?

YUP...was in an indoor with good footing too. Cantering...he tripped over his own feet and somersaulted. He was green but still....sad sad sad way to fall down (we were both fine...just covered in arena footing). Never happened again with him so I didn't dwell on it.

I go through spurts where I fall off...a lot...and other times I can go for long time without falling. But I usually buy real estate every year at least once (usually on my green horse)....when it is caught on video at a competition (not often)..it is even more special

Get back on, take it easy for a little bit and try and push it out of your mind.
        Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 29, 2009, 06:22 PM.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I have fallen at least 5 times this year, but none of them were due to a stumble.

I HAVE fallen in the past due to stumbles, including one (on Music at the canter) which sent me to the hospital, with bruised ribs and a concussion (horse rolled on me).

I have also had Spy stumble (several times) at the walk, and go down on his knees. I didn't actually "fall", but he couldn't get back up until I got off his neck. The vet concluded that he was putting his foot down "toe first" becuase of his arthritis, and soemimes he misjudged and tripped over his own foot.
          Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I fall off as often as necessary.

Comment

Grey pony, we've just have over 20 posts on this subject on FOL (foxhunters online) Seems it must be that time of year . . .
              There is a lot of good info over there. Bottom line is it can happen at any time, for any reason and you shouldn't think about it when you are on your horse. Fear is natural, but you have to control the deflating voice in your head if it has started talking.

Rayers - good one - only as often as necessary - LOL!!!

Comment

I'm not going to jinx myself by saying anything about how many times I've involuntarily disconnected with my pony this year, but I can tell you about the time I was in 2nd place at an HT. 2nd to last fence from home, pony slipped sideways at speed and shot me off like a bullet - luckily. If he hadn't shot me off, I would have been squished underneath him. I've got it all on tape, and immediately after, I drilled and tapped him for studs behind.
                "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

Pretty frequently! I ride other people's horses for a living, but most of them are pretty good (I won't ride the scary ones--life is too short.) But--MY event horse is a gifted spook--one minute you are trotting along and the next--WHAM. Luckily I mostly land on my feet with those kind. I guess he and I part company every month or so, mostly on trail rides but also at xc schools and occasionally on course.

OTOH, the mare before him, I had for eight years, and I don't think I fell off her once a year even.

I've had some nasty stumble type falls, too, but I don't think I've ever had more than one with a given horse. If it happens again, I'd want to do a vet exam, but chances are it was a combination of iffy footing and inattention on the horse's part, and will make them more careful in future.

The nice thing about falling off a lot is that you get used to it, I guess. And even with that, there are times when, even though I'm not hurt, I get shaky and cry afterward--usually after I'm done and on the way home. It's just adrenaline wearing off.

Comment

Ask GotSpots about her fall off horse she was leasing (this was 10 or 12 years ago), when he probably tripped, but she didn't remember, nor how she got the hoofprint shaped bruise. I broke my thumb years ago having a horse fall on me, otherwise have escaped that, but I'm on the Reed plan and certainly don't expect to go through a year without popping off a couple of times, last time at my youngster's 1st xc school when he spooked at the vultures

I was a bit leery the first few times I got back on in May of 2008, after a 6 week layoff due to multiple broken bones incurred in a getting bucked off while walking on a loose rein before a dressage lesson, another one of those freak things, but riding a few times made it go away.
                    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I pull the rip-cord a few times throughout the year.
                      www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
                      Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Comment

A couple of years ago I was cantering around (in the ring) on the very nice, but very gangly young horse I had at the time. We were warming up, and I had him stretched kinda long and low as I sat pretty light in the tack. He tripped, and because my reins were long and I was sitting a little ahead, I was powerless to help him get his feet back. THANKFULLY, he did not fall all the way as he would have flipped right on me (came very close, his knees were a little scraped up, he had sand all over his face, and the noseband that he was wearing still has scratches from his face plant). He DID, however, piledrive me face first into the ground. I came out of it pretty lucky, as it could have ended badly. My face was banged up really badly (still have a scar and a little sand in my top lip), and I was sore all over for a couple of weeks, but I walked away from it, and didn't even break my nose, like I originally thought I did (I was bleeding like crazy!). The horse was fine...I think we gave him a little bute that night, just in case, but he felt fine.

It took me a couple of days to get back on, but only because I was soooo banged up (moving made my face hurt). Two years on and I still get a little sick to my stomach if they trip with me at the trot or canter, but I'm better now (took months before I even let the older horses stretch in the canter).

My current horse pitched a hissy fit this winter as I tried to open the ring gate and go in. We were in the grass, on a slight incline and it was slick. In his hissy fit pitching, he lost his footing and we fell. It was so a none issue and he was very embarrassed. I jogged him out, just in case, and then kicked his ass for a few minutes in the ring (he'd been bad from the moment I pulled him out that day).

I fall plenty, but I do seem to have waves of it. I can go awhile and be fine, and then, out of the blue, I'm on the ground. In fact, in one of my last falls, I was on on of the kids' saintly horses, when I forgot I was riding something less than athletic and tried to stuff him when he made a mistake in a gymnastic. On a scopey, athletic horse this would have not been an issue. On poor Saint Spike I asked the impossible, he stopped and I went over his shoulder. Oops. Falling doesn't typically bother me. I don't like to fall, especially in my first example, but it happens.
                        Amanda

Comment

I've fallen off 3 times in the past 5 months with my newest horse. One time he bucked me off. Back pain issues from previous rider. He has killer bucks that are hard to sit as well. 2nd time he refused a jump, and the saddle I was riding in was an awful fit for me, so I wasn't secure at all. 3rd time he spooked and bolted then my saddle slipped, so I decided to bail. 3 in 5 months is a lot for me though. I used to not fall off like at all, but he's so powerful that he is harder to stay with.

My old horse fell with me twice. One time it was in the ring, and she just went down on her knees. The 2nd time she spooked and lost her balance and fell sideways onto my leg. It is fairly normal to be rattled by those types of falls though. It didn't rattle me at all, but then again it takes a lot to rattle me. haha.

Comment

I average about once a year.
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

Once this year (so far), twice 6 yrs. ago. All due to big spooks. It hurts more now than it used to. I still keep coming back for more....
                              Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Comment

As LITTLE as possible! Actually my last fall was a "pair" of falls on two consecutive days on two different horses! Both bucked me off, first did a 180 spin while I was mounting followed by soem SERIOUS buckking, halfway across the arena I was TOAST! Second was following day when a horse spooked, dropped him shoulder totally unexpectedly and let out a BIG ONE, of course I think I was suffering from a concussion from prior day, shouldn't have been riding and that contributed to the fall. Knock on wood that was first time in a few years (and the one then was also being bucked off a BAD backer) and hopefully for quite some time! I can handle most horses but SERIOUS bucking I just don't stick with! As far as stunbling I came VERY close to coming offf about four years ago when a mare stumbled and went to her knees, I wound up infront of the saddle riding her neck, she managed to get up and swing around, and I was PRAYING I could stay on long enough to creep back into the saddle, which I did. Nothing worst than suddenly having NO HORSE under you!
                                www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

knock on wood I haven't fallen in quite a while (though I haven't been riding as much lately) but when I do fall it seems to come in waves like 3 in a month...one day when I was working my old horse in the arena he somehow lost his footing in the canter completely fell down and landed on my leg he, however, did not move. Once I wiggled out I was hurting pretty badly but no obvious damage (though I did have to get knee surgery a year later got figure) had the vet come check out the horse just to be on the safe side since it took some encouragement to get him up but he was fine too. I got back on later that week but it took a while to fully bounce back and to this day I always get nervous when my mare trips.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleMissCan'tBeWrong View Post
                                    knock on wood I haven't fallen in quite a while (though I haven't been riding as much lately) but when I do fall it seems to come in waves like 3 in a month...one day when I was working my old horse in the arena he somehow lost his footing in the canter completely fell down and landed on my leg he, however, did not move. Once I wiggled out I was hurting pretty badly but no obvious damage (though I did have to get knee surgery a year later got figure) had the vet come check out the horse just to be on the safe side since it took some encouragement to get him up but he was fine too. I got back on later that week but it took a while to fully bounce back and to this day I always get nervous when my mare trips.
                                    a woman i know had a horse fall on cross country with her, and he lay there for a while too, apparently horses can get the wind knocked out of them the same way people do! and thats what everyone thought happened in her situation. scary all around, but something we have to put behind us...

Comment

Fell last week. Micromanaging to a small vertical. I have been having brake issues, and had a crescent noseband on quite tight. The effect is good, but if you crotch ride w/ your hands, he gets quite mad, and that's what I did coming to the jump. All my good flat work skills went out the door too. Horse said I can't do this w/ you cranking my head down-jeesh lady. Next thing I know, I'm using the jump as mid point stopping point before the ground. I now have a nice bone bruise on my shin from the rail. No worse for wear, except it was a blow to my confidence. I am having to realize this horse is more than capable of jumping if I will leave him alone and quit over analyzing. I am 46, and also know that I do have to work for a living, so I'm trying not to do to much foolishness! It had been a while since I had fallen, and it didn't help that this was also a 17.3 horse too! I am going back to basics until I feel confident about doing bigger fences.

Comment

Four times. In four years. Two times were in a creek, which was a little better...however, I got really scraped up by rocks and such. Another was bareback, best by far. I didn't get hurt, just got the wind knocked out of me. Rounded a corner that was suddenly downhill...horsie slipped. We were both just kinda dazed, but fine. Fourth time scared me really badly. I was walking into an arena that had railroad ties around it to keep the sand in. Horse tripped, all of a sudden the ground was flying up. I was really lucky, I almost got pinned underneath her. I landed with my neck bent, right on it though. I was sore for a loooong time, and always have hand walked into said arena. That freaked me out because it was so sudden, and I was freaked out about my neck. I just lay there for about a minute, trying to figure everything out. My friend turned around and flipped. The doctor thinks I had a mild concussion.

I don't think it's usual to have that many falls though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X