• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Musings - Will eventers ever buy youngsters bred for the sport?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The marketing ideas suggested over the past few posts are very interesting.

How do you suppose we could start compiling a list of breeders or begin to contact breeders to make them aware of an effort?

Should we try to organize a website and small organization - something like the 'Event Horse Breeders Society of North America' ??

I for one think it would be great to try and track and record performance results and sire / producing mare lists.

$15 activation fee? Something low.

Organized website that can link to breeders contact names and websites.

Offer a few year end awards.

Perhaps even offer awards at certain events for the top placed 'event bred'.?

Trying to throw some ideas out there. I know several people on this BB have compiled their own small databases of bloodlines frequented in event horse pedigrees. That could be a start.

I for one would be willing to do some of the leg work to get things rolling - but how do you get the word out and begin contacting people who don't spend much time in front of the computer? LOL

Very interesting concepts - I think there is a genuine interest here to foster.

Comment

• I'm late to the post (getting over a stomach virus courtesy of a wee grandchild) but I think there are positive points made for both buying a youngster and raising it:

1. You have a blank slate and not much baggage
      2. Youngster bred to be an eventing type
      3. Opportunity to train horse oneself OR send it out to a pro

Negative points:

1. Long wait for baby to grow up
      2. Possible physical or mental problems that mean all those years of waiting are for naught
      3. No space or extra $$ for boarding and training

That said - most posters are concentrating on TBs (be off the track or homebred) and that is ok for those who can handle the temperment and sensitivity of the TB.

How about those of us who are older, now have some $$ due to children out of nest or settled in our career and are making decent wages but are at the point that we cannot handle the TB "moments" but still want a competitive horse (even at the lower levels)? While I understand that everyone would like to breed or buy and sell a 4 star horse..there just aren't that many four star riders out there realistically.

Who is the market primarily? Young riders without a lot of cash or older people with cash but not the desire or physical ability to ride a four star horse? Would the market be better served to produce level headed, calmer, mounts that a novice could handle?

I am not knocking off trackers - I've had three in the last year. All were nice horses but none could do the upper levels in eventing due to either soundness issues or mental issues. All have new careers with good people. Two were way too much horse for me, one was not enough horse for anyone except a beginner (meaning at her age, she was content to just trail ride).

My point is that it is not just TBs that should be considered as some of us older people just cannot handle their "moments" - they are quick, sensitive and agile while alas, we are slower, break easier, and not so responsive as we were in our 20 and 30's.

What sort of breeds are being developed for the over 40, coming into a few dollars and can finally afford a trainer market? Personally I like the fire of the Arab and TB but have come to realize that while I can ride one, I don't enjoy it like I used to and would rather have a calmer mount that perhaps isn't as much fire, but more about "getting mamma around the course so she'll drop carrots in my bucket" type.

Guess not all of us need a Porsche or Jag, some of us need a nice dependable Honda instead.

Anyway, I guess form to function is the way to go, but only if one is sure that everyone wants the same type of functioning form. And that is the problem I see with breeding a certain "type" of eventer - sure I'd love to own a horse that was bred by a BNT that could do four star events, but in reality, my trainer would end up riding said beastie as it would like have way too much oomph for me to enjoy.

PS- as an aside - I absolutely believe that if one is a novice, one should have as good a trainer as one can possibly afford especially if one is totally new to the sport - it saves much $$ and mistakes and if one is older, one doesn't really have time to make a lot of mistakes and then relearn the correct way..just from my "old" perspective.

Comment

• I am definitely not qualified to get a youngster, whether event-bred or OTTB. I think sometimes both need a lot of time, patience, and milage to get there. When he first came off the track, people kept telling his trainer (who I sometimes work with) that she should give up on him. He reared, and was otherwise extremely difficult. After a couple of years, he settled down, and my current main trainer brought him up to Training Level eventing, 2nd Level dressage, and 3'3" Hunter and Jumper showing successfully. Now, in his teens, he's a pretty solid BN/N packer. He's been wonderful at showing me the ropes of eventing, and a little kid is learning how to jump on him. Sure, he still has his TB moments, but they're usually of the "freeze and look" or "scoot off for a few steps" variety.
        Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

• Great Thread

As an ammie that loves the OTTBs, I am really enjoying this thread and all of the great input. I am one of those ladies that grew up on crazy horses, worked at the local barn, did the hunters/foxhunters and I am now a mom (enjoying my 40s) with a career. I fall into the "enjoy the process more than competing" niche. I think that whether I bought a young horse bred for the sport horse or a freebie OTTB (on my 4th freebie) I would spend the same amount of lesson/clinic dollars. So I figure that a freebie works better considering there is no guarantee for either. I could go out and spend 10 grand on a 3 year old home bred or pick up a free OTTB (I previously galloped on the track and still have friends in the business). At this point I would rather be ahead the 10 grand. At the barn that my trainer owns/runs I am in the minority. Everyone there has a made horse and they compete from BN to Training.

Now having said that, I have not broken the novice ceiling (I started eventing in 2002). I have schooled up to training and want to compete at Prelim at some point. So, if my freebie OTTBs are not suitable at that level than I may have to change my ways and ante up the money for a homebred. At this point I am not ready to give up on my beloved OTTBs, who knows if I am wrong???

PS – keep up the great work Janet, I REALLY love your posts.
          Susan
          http://community.webshots.com/user/ss3777
          www.longformatclub.com

Comment

• sidepasser.... try an Irish Sporthorse! Not a jag, not a honda... more like the updated Volvo! Stylish AND dependable.... :-)

Jennifer
            Third Charm Event Team

Comment

• Hear Hear Jennifer!
              Megan

Comment

• Original Poster

When i mean bred for the sport - it doesn't automatically mean a pro ride. I think there is an assumption that we breeders all intend to breed 4* pro rides. I don't - most of mine go to adult ammies - such as myself - an almost 50ish person who does not aspire to ever do advanced. I think you can breed ammie event horses as well - I hope my guys have temperaments for most peole to deal with - b/c the market for difficult horses is slim indeed.
                A nice young horse hs to be ridable first and talented later b/c if he is a pro ride, I'm ging to have a hard time selling it.
                so I hope people will realize "bred for the sport" doesn't make it an incredibly difficult ride.
                http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

• I'm close to 50 and have an OTTB mare and her "TB mind" is what I like best about her. She is smart, willing, focussed and incredibly honest. I'd take that over a horse that needs a ton of leg any day. I retrained her with the help of a wonderful advanced eventer/trainer and it has been an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm too old and not brave enough to try eventing, but I love dressage. Don't write off TBs for older re-riders - there are plenty of great ones out there and if you are not aspiring to 4* level, don't write off smallish OTTB mares either.

Much has been made of the TB temperament that I believe is just not true. I have 5 OTTBs and they ALL have great temperaments. You find difficult horses in every breed. I do agree that the track experience can be both positive and negative, but a TB bred and raised to be a sporthorse would in most cases, make a wonderful eventer. All that "will to win" could be directed towards excelling at dressage, cross country and stadium from the beginning rather than having to teach a horse that there are other ways to please humans and that they no longer have to gallop till it hurts!
                  Julia in Nokesville, VA

Comment

Working...
                  X