• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Working student for Event barn.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working student for Event barn.

Is there any website that can help me find a working student postion? I am 19 and I really want to oppotunity to ride horses that could help me get my name out there. I am a talented rider, but cant afford a nice horse or a trainer. I have taught myself to ride and brought myself up through the levels...well Training atleast. Since my horse is 15hh and he pretty much maxes out at 3'3".

If anyone knows anything could yall help me out? I feel that if someone where to invest in me I could go far. I want it SO BAD!

Other than the Equestrian classifieds for various areas, no, there is no clear way to find WS positions though looking at the websites of Eventing programs that interest you is the best way to determine if something might be a fit for you and if there is an opening. You also need to talk to other working students so you can get a handle on what it is you are getting into. Most girls who get into the "I wanna be a working student for "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ!" have no idea what they are getting into. You certainly need to take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself "Do I really have the basic life experience and skills necessary to even try this?". Being a working student can mean anything from being a groom and stablehand in all but name and with nothing to take away from the job other than misery to being part of a great team and sometimes extended family. You won't find the same thing everywhere you look.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I already have been a barn manager for a year. I def. have the work ethics. I have to feed, turnout, clean stalls every morning and evening for 17 horses. And on top of that I would ride 2-4 horses a day. But I wasnt learning anything. All i got was free board and I lived in their upstairs apartment.

Unfortunatly I was kicked by one of the boarders horses in the pasture while trying to catch a horse to ride and my left humerous snapped in 2 pieces.....The woman there told me I had to pay or leave.....so i left. Now I dont care if I have to do the same work, but this time I WANT TO LEARN! I have brought myself as far as my own knowledge can take me. So Im def not one of those girls, trust me!

Comment

In my experience, most working student positions for a rider at your level entail doing all the things you did at your previous job, and get living quarters and one lesson per day on your own horse/part to full board on your own horse.

Most top riders will ride all the horses in their yard themselves, or working students of theirs will help school the horses, but those are riders mainly doing 2* and up. (Ashley Adams, Jennie Brannigan, Ryan Wood, Lauren Kieffer etc, etc)

If you want to try to find a place where you are riding lots of horses everyday, I would suggest steering clear of the top names and instead look for someone who is a horse dealer or breeder, with many many horses.

Comment

I agree with Middleburg. Find something that not only fits you but builds your experience. The big names don't move a lot of horses and though you get prestige by hanging out with them, you aren't guaranteed to take much of anything away from your time with them other than social connections and whatever comes with being associated with them. What you experienced with your barn manager job is the general experience of many young equestrians who try to get into the industry. Find someone who is more than just a name. Find a position where you are not only learning but being a part of something. Otherwise, you're just someone else's bitch.
          Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Yard and Groom has jobs all the time. Most of these jobs are with people that Middleburg mentions - breeders, dealers, local big names, etc. It is worth a shot to look.

yardandgroom.com

Comment

Originally posted by HannahLeigh10 View Post
              Is there any website that can help me find a working student postion? I am 19 and I really want to oppotunity to ride horses that could help me get my name out there.

If anyone knows anything could yall help me out? I feel that if someone where to invest in me I could go far. I want it SO BAD!
              Need to focus on what you can offer them. No one is going to invest in you or let you ride super nice horses just to "help you get your name out". It has to be that you are good enough to improve the horses, or have such a phenomenal work ethic that the barn will run flawlessly with you there, or that you have the skills to learn how to run a truly upper level barn and take care of those horses, or barring that, that you can do everything asked of you, work your tail off, and move up the ranks slowly. Patience and slow-and-steady and being absolutely completely trustworthy and dependable, and also getting along with everyone in the barn.

Big barns will hire someone - but they don't hand out rides on the Advanced horses to just anyone. It takes time and effort and alot of very very hard work to move your way up (and more of all three if you're struggling on the finances side of things).

Comment

Try Caroline Atherholt in Eagle Rock, VA-she has had WS in the past and is great! Her website is www.carolinedowd.com

Comment

I'm afraid that even the best positions will expect a working student to pay their own competition expenses and probably own a decent horse to compete on. And the ws will be responsible for all of the expenses associated with owning the horse (except possibly board). So getting your name out there cost $$$. It helps--in fact it's probably essential--to have parents paying the bills if you want to be a ws and actually compete regularly.

Of course, assuming you get a good position you can learn a ton as a ws and get lots of lessons and coaching for all the very hard work you will do. But it's probably unrealistic to assume that someone is going to invest in you right from the start. As others have pointed out, if this ever happens it will be after you have worked with a trainer for many years and become truly valuable to them.

Comment

If you really want to go somewhere having a map will get you there a lot faster.

Start by doing some research. List all the eventing trainers you know. If they are established figure out who've they have coached on their way to or at the upper levels - this should flush up several more names. Find out who those people work with and repeat etc. Flush out their reputations.

Basically size up who's out there, who takes on students, who has an interest in young riders etc, and don't be afraid to go one or two removed from where you would like to be as long as the one you end up with has connections - this will be what will help you out the most in getting where you want to be as a working student.

Strategize, have a flexible plan and keep your goals in the forefront.

Comment

Doug Payne is looking for a WS

Originally posted by HannahLeigh10 View Post
                      Well I already have been a barn manager for a year. I def. have the work ethics. I have to feed, turnout, clean stalls every morning and evening for 17 horses. And on top of that I would ride 2-4 horses a day. But I wasnt learning anything. All i got was free board and I lived in their upstairs apartment.

Unfortunatly I was kicked by one of the boarders horses in the pasture while trying to catch a horse to ride and my left humerous snapped in 2 pieces.....The woman there told me I had to pay or leave.....so i left. Now I dont care if I have to do the same work, but this time I WANT TO LEARN! I have brought myself as far as my own knowledge can take me. So Im def not one of those girls, trust me!
                      I don't know Doug though I've seen him at competitions. He seems like a nice fella and a very good rider. Not sure where you live but it's always worth giving it a shot if you are willing to relocate.

Below is the link to Doug's blog about the position along with link to the home page of his website

http://www.dpequestrian.com/news/

http://www.dpequestrian.com/

If you want to get an idea of what he is like, Doug recently did an interview with Horse Radio network too which you can down load to Ipod or listen from your pc if you have a speaker

http://eventingradio.horseradionetwork.com/

Lastly Doug's sister Holly Payne is looking for a WS and she is in the same area of Hunterdeon County, NJ

http://www.hollypayne.com/Welcome.html

Comment

Opening

Believe Phyllis Dawson in Purcellville has a WS opening. Her website is www.teamwindchase.com

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for those suggestions!! When I meant get my name out there, I wasnt trying to be like I want a super nice horse to ride, I was kinda reffering to how I never had nice horses to ride at my other barn. I always rode the problem horses, lol. And at the other barn I never got lessons so I was never learning. All i want is to learn and know more about the sport. I want to work my way up with someone teaching me.

I am willing to relocate, but I am in school this semester. So I more than likely cant move or start looking around till January. But thanks to everyone!!!

Comment

-Sigh- I've written and erased this four times, but I can't stop myself from posting.

I seem to be a cynical mood today, so forgive me. And OP if what I am about to say does not apply to you, then I apologize, but I do hope you'll read what I have to say and think carefully about what you want.

I am a LNT. We've produced some good horses and good riders, but I wouldn't sell myself as someone who'd get you to Rolex. However, we've produced horses from scratch through the CCI** level, and riders as well.

I take on working students, and when I started offering WS positions, I was waiting for someone like you to come in to my life. That hungry, talented kid who just needed an opportunity--I was that kid. As was Mr. PF once upon a time. We were both given hands up over the years by people who believed in us, and by our own work ethics, and we wanted to be that person for someone else.

Three years in, I think it's a fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I've had some lovely people here. They've done a good job for me, and to the best of my knowledge they've learned a lot and gained valuable experience while they were here. But at the end of the day, flat out, I'm not sure this current crop of folks really wants to put in the day in and day out grind over the period of time required to move up the levels.

If you don't have money, then in this day and age your only chance to "be someone" in this sport is sweat equity. And that equity is going to take a chunk out of everything else in your life. Time with your family and friends, hanging out time, holidays, weekends, you name it. You are going to have crappy days where the weather sucks, and the horses are all naughty and you dump the water bucket in your shoe. Your horse (or your favorite you are riding) will go lame. You will ride great horses and crappy ones and you will be required to treat them all with equal respect. And you will be expected to that pretty much every day. And then you will go to the show and place behind someone riding a horse that cost more than a house, and you will have to smile and be gracious.

Again, I think in general I've been pretty lucky with WS, I've been generally happy and so have they, even when a situation hasn't worked out. But at the end of the day, most people just don't actually want to work that hard. They think they do, but they don't. They can do it for a while, and they burn out. Or they decide they are too good for certain horses or certain jobs. Or their horse gets injured and they decide "why am I doing all this when my *&@%^#^&$ horse is hurt?" I don't begrudge anyone having those feeling, heck, I got a degree and worked outside of the horse industry for many years too, because burnout IS real.

I believe it is still possible to pull oneself up by their bootstraps with hard work and the right situation. But the number of people who really, truly, have the work ethic to pull it off are infinitesimal.

Concrete advice, on the off chance that you are one of those few? Put together a good resume, with refrences. Be thinking of a stepping stone farm, like mine for instance, rather than aiming for the four star rider right off the bat. If you are competant at training level, you have a ways to go before you'd need someone with advanced level experience to guide you. And unlike at a BNT barn, programs like mine often have better financial arrangements for the cash-strapped. You won't get rich, but you won't be paying $$$$ to work your behind off either. When you are the interview LISTEN carefully and really absorb and understand the work level required. Ask questions, and be honest about what you are willing, and not willing to do. Nothing makes me crazier than to have people whose entire contribution to the interview is "I'll do anything" and then you find out, after being as honest as possible about the job entails and then hiring them, that, in fact, there are all kinds of you things you won't do. Not every program is suitable for every person, so finally, be VERY VERY honest with yourself, and your potential employer about how this position could work for you. And how it might not.

And if you are looking for something starting in December/January and like California, let me know. Guess I'm not as cynical as I thought.
                            Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
                            Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
                            www.phoenixsporthorses.com
                            Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks PhoenixFarm! I def. understand what you are trying to say. About how people get burnt out, my friend actually became a working student for 3 months and quit...I quit after a year because my arm broke and the woman I was working for wouldnt cut me slack! Like they said it would take 8-10 weeks to heal completely. She came up to me and was saying that I need to help pay for my horse.....WHICH is outragous to me cause She knows that I make money by training/exercising other peoples horses...so that means I couldnt ride/make money for 2 months.

Sorry I am going on a vent here. But I was so good to her. I worked my ass off for nothing. All I wanted to do was help her and try to keep her business afloat. She fired her mexican to save money so I took over most of what the mexican did. AND she would go somewhere almost every weekend so I was taking care of the 16 horses by myself every morning and evening. I didnt ask for much either....my horse was on full turnout so he wasnt even on full board. I would turn of the air/heat whenever I left the apartment to save her money for energy. I would take quick showers so I didnt waste water. I always stayed quiet when I was in the apartment since it was right over there living room and kitchen. .... ok done venting. But she was good to me, never rude always nice. But i couldnt believe she was hounding me for money when she knew damn well I had no source of income.

I had to end up moving my horse 3 times while my arm is still in 2 pieces. During that time he was attacked by dogs at one barn, Had his tail ripped out(like 4 inches from the tail bone...I was pissed), and I finally moved him somewhere that would let me work when I got better to pay for his pasture board. And after all that happened the woman who orginally hounded me for money said, "You didnt have to move Country. I would have let you keep him here and not pay." ARE YOU SERIOUS? I went through all that stress of trying to find somewhere to keep my horse, he had his tail ripped out and he was attacked by dogs ALL BECAUSE YOU HOUNDED ME FOR MONEY. Then all of sudden shes like I wouldnt have made you pay.

So I got way off topic but back to my origianl point. Yes, I am one of those few motivated, hardworking people. I have done it and still would be doing it if my arm didnt get broken. Well actually I am doing the same stuff at this new place. My arm has just now gotten to were I can ride and feel comfortable. So I help turnout, feed, or help where ever its needed when I am there.

I live in Georgia by the way.... Does any one think its good or bad to move out of state to be a working student? The only thing I worry about is having money to do it. I would do it in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented it self and it seemed legit.

Long post, sorry.

Comment

I would say that it is probably better for you to stick close to home (not necessarily in the state but nearby) until you REALLY get into being in that professional side of the game. Then you will be experienced enough to bounce outside your box of familiarity.

Comment

The USEA Area 3 website usually has some job/WS postings.

Comment

regarding working student position

Hannah- you have a PM

Comment

Working...
                                    X