Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Area I - Huntington vs. Great Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Area I - Huntington vs. Great Vista?

If you had a choice between these two events at the Novice level, which one would you pick? I don't know all that much about Huntington but have heard very mixed things about Great Vista. Any input? Which would you chose?
    Eventing-A-Gogo: Adventures of a Barefoot Event Horse and her Human
    The Reeling: An Unexpected Mareventure

I don't know much about either, but I would go with Huntington, only because I've heard also mixed things about Great Vista. You should go to Town Hill in Sept.--that is a great event!

Comment

Huntington is a LONG course galloping up the big vermont mountain-if your horse isn't in great shape (which I suspect isn't a problem for you Ritazza from reading your blog ) it's alot to ask. The horses tend to get tired and the trickier questions are at the end when they ARE tired. The water looks a little intimidating-down a steep hill down into the dark, there's an bank complex (I think it's an up-2/3 strides-down), and I think there's a ditch. Because the xc is tiring and it's a one day format, people tend to pull rails in stadium because the horses are pooped. Having said that, Huntington is one of my favorite events (great footing, great people, well run) and I and people at my barn have always had good luck there It isn't just a dressage show-there is alot of movement after crosscountry and stadium. I don't really know anything about Great Vista, sorry

PS-How's the pony doing? feeling better? I saw you warming up for dressage at riga when I was walking to check scores and she looked great-too bad that bank got you

Comment

I have not been to Great Vista, but I LOVE Huntington. It is one of the good galloping courses in Area 1. Your horse needs to be fit, but I never had a problem, and I didn't do anything special fitness-wise.

There are lots of fields that you jump through and in and out of, lots of long gallop stretches. Just a really nice, fun course. And the folks that run it are wonderful, nice, and kind. Do be warned that it is a long hack from trailer parking to Dressage and XC. Your support crew might even want to bring a bike. My husband did that and had a great time toodling back and forth.

Also, most stabling is at surrounding farms. I have had terrific experiences wherever I was assigned. I usually camped at the stabling location after asking permission.

Have fun!

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Crazy_Eventer View Post
          PS-How's the pony doing? feeling better? I saw you warming up for dressage at riga when I was walking to check scores and she looked great-too bad that bank got you
          Yea that dumb bank!! The easiest thing on course, the thing she was doing when she was 5 and just under saddle, the thing she was jumping easily before she ever even jumped a full course of regular stadium jumps, the thing I can always count on her to jump! I have no idea what happened, the rest of her course was awesome! She's just trying to keep me humble
          Eventing-A-Gogo: Adventures of a Barefoot Event Horse and her Human
          The Reeling: An Unexpected Mareventure

Comment

Great Vista

I've never been to Huntington but have been to Great Vista. Nice stabling at the top of the hill and 2 sand dressage rings and stadium is in a grass field. Everything is close to stabling. Cross country is well built fences with a bank, water and small ditches plus the usual coops, benches and some neat logs. Cross country runs down and up and across the side of a big hill and along the bottom of the hill. I really enjoyed it there. Did novice.

Mary

Comment

Huntington!! Huntington has consistent for the level, galloping courses. The fences tend to be plain brown things but they are inviting for the horse.

I don't think the water is weird - it's a puddle. Which to me is a lot more natural type of obstable than a box of blue water. (I don't know why, but blue water just bugs me, fine for swimming pools, not water jumps).

There is a half-ditch at Novice, I think - and lots of coops, stone walls, more coops.

The stadium is on grass, and the field is not perfectly level but not like King Oak.

Dressage is in perfect dressage rings. The warm ups are big.

I haven't been to GV but one of my friends did and said the XC was inconsistent - lots of smaller fences, then something complicated.

But the view from the dressage ring was pretty amazing.

Comment

Never been to Great Vista, but I love Huntington...best-kept secret in Area 1, IMHO. In addition to what everybody's already said, the event staff and volunteers are just fantastic (and they take great care of the volunteers, too, if you feel like coming a day early/staying a day late and doing some fence-judging).
                bullyandblaze.wordpress.com

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
                - Welcome to Night Vale

Comment

Another 2 thumbs up for Huntington - Great courses for both XC and SJ - real old-fashioned galloping tracks rather than jump turn jump. Footing is fab even w all the rain we have had this year - and the light for photography is just magical!

Joan from Flatlands
                  Joan Davis
                  http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/
                  http://flatlands-equestrian.com/

Comment

I'm having some trouble reconciling the Huntington that I'm reading about here with the one I know - I'd say that it's actually fairly flat (for Vermont) and on the shorter end of the spectrum, but XC is always too short for me! The one thing you should know is that the parking is a fair distance from the D and XC.

It is hands down my favorite event, most especially for a youngster. My 5 year old just did his first recognized event (and his 3rd event ever) there at BN. He started out looky on XC, and by the third jump was looking for the next. It's just a great confidence building, gallopy, inviting course.

PS just occurred to me that CE might be talking about the T or P courses. I have had to do that big hill at P, but BN and N are - from what I've seen - really just on the 2 levels, so not so hilly.

Comment

Compared to UNH or King Oak? It's hilly.

Compared to Hitching Post? or Vershire - remember that mountain? The trucks can't climb it. It's Flat!!

Comment

Huntington!

I wen to Huntington for the first time last summer, at novice, and LOVED it. I have competed N-P all over the place and have been to many different venues in Area 1, 2 and 3...there was just something about Huntington that really "got me".

It was really nice to "gallop" (I use term lightly as I was going novice) around a course that was open and not full of twisty turns, and had nice fences that are more "natural".

The only thing I was surprised about was by the distance from parking to xc and dressage, not so much on my horse, it was a nice hack, but more when I walked from parking to the secretary's stand and back...BRING A BIKE!

Plus, Vermont is gorgeous in the summer time, especially up by Huntington.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                          Compared to UNH or King Oak? It's hilly.

Compared to Hitching Post? or Vershire - remember that mountain? The trucks can't climb it. It's Flat!!
                          Does Vershire still have events? I remember those from childhood.

I grew up in VT and haven't evented there in years, but I remember GMHA as the killer--2/3 of the way around the mountain climb began. Huntington was basically on 2 levels, valley and ridge, so you only had 1 big up.

Anyway, Huntington is gorgeous, have fun!

Comment

Working...
                          X