• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Windfall II @ Rolex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windfall II @ Rolex

See that dressage score--33! WOW!
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Yeah but we know he can do that. What we have yet to see is if he can keep it and make time....and then jump clean...at the 4 * level, not 3.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl
      Yeah but we know he can do that. What we have yet to see is if he can keep it and make time....and then jump clean...at the 4 * level, not 3.

~Emily
      Well, he jumped clean with no time (and ultimately won the event) around the modified format four star at Rolex in 2004. I'm not a huge Windfall fan, but his XC has come a long way. --Jess

Comment

I am not saying anything against the skills that he and Darren possess as a team, but their luck at the 4* level is a bit touch and go.

Last year at Rolex he was spun before D. Admittedly he is a short format horse in my book. And he did a good round in 2004 no doubt, I mean come on he won it.

I am not trying to be negative. Just for me, Windfall and Darren have to make it through the finish line in stadium before they get the applause out of me. But that being said, they are a lovely duo to watch in dressage. And they absolutely have my respect as competitors.

~Emily
        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

Well...I'm impressed. To get an 80% at that level from one of the judges and an over all score of 33...it's impressive to even be at that level and with a stallion which I think makes it even harder. I hope he has a good rest of the event....just like I hope they all have good events. But getting a dressage score like that is a great accomplishment on any horse let alone a fit ready to run event horse.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

clapping!

before they get the applause out of me.
            ~Emily
            I am happy to applaud their dressage score. just keeping a fit horse in the arena is worthy of applause in my book!
            A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I am happy for them (albeit a bit biased too ) and I think they will do wonderfully on cross country. I wouldn't count them out and I think Windfall is more than capable of making the time. He's fit (won the fitness award the same year the modified was run) and he's on his game this year. I for one hope he wins it. He got next to no recognition for winning the modified (not even a watch) and it was still an amazing accomplishment and I think he deserves it.

Go Darren and Windy!

*zipping up flamesuit*

Comment

okay, this is going to sound awful, but after that silly ad with the creepy picture of DC, I hope they don't win, if it would lead to more ads like that.

Comment

Originally posted by hb
                  okay, this is going to sound awful, but after that silly ad with the creepy picture of DC, I hope they don't win, if it would lead to more ads like that.
                  I'm sorry, but that is a terrible reason to why someone shouldn't win. Everyone there deserves to win just for making it to that level.

Comment

That is one arrogant little snit that doesn't "deserve" a thing (the rider, that is....).

Comment

Got to watch Darren go today. He REALLY deserved that 33. Atleast someone can beat Kim in the dressage.

I watched every ride today and I think that some of the riders should have gotten a better score than they did (like Nathalie Pollard, Karen O'Connor and William Fox-Pitt). However, I am not a judge so I have no say.

I got to walk a little of the cross country course with Buck Davidson. It will definitely be a challenge (but of course...it's Rolex!).

I feel really bad for Bruce. Jam AND Little Tricky were FULL of themselves. I hope cross country moves positions around. Poor Phillip Dutton too...
                      If the cross country goes well for everyone (which it probably won't) and the stadium as well, he won't be winning it this year. He got a 57 on Connaught and a 61.3 on Amazing Odyssey. However, This is eventing so anything can happen!!

Praying for good weather tomorrow....

Comment

I am not saying anything against the skills that he and Darren possess as a team, but their luck at the 4* level is a bit touch and go.
                        I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim their luck is any more touch and go than anyone else's at that level. Windfall has started three 4* events. He won one of them, completed a second (the Olympics, which is technically a four star though of course actually a softer course than the annual four stars), and did not complete the third. His record at the four star level is short but highly respectable.

I've said many times that he's not my type of horse, and I'm not a fan of the positions Darren takes regarding the development of the sport. But I think it's silly to single out Windfall in this way. That's all. --Jess

Comment

Just like the judges- I hope to judge what I see in the ring and not what I think about them (Darren) as a person - and Darren and Windfall were stunning today. Sally O'C said that they were *both* a bit flamboyant, ( ) and that is what wins dressage. Her comments that that they are indeed in a show- and thats what dressage is about- its a show.

Anyway- it was wonderful. Simple as that. And I agree with JAgold- they can do it- they have before.

I think that some got really low marks, and I think it felt unfair to me (Natalies ride for one) but as another poster said- who am I to judge? I can only say it was a nice test to watch. JMHO

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by annikak
                            Just like the judges- I hope to judge what I see in the ring and not what I think about them (Darren) as a person - and Darren and Windfall were stunning today. Sally O'C said that they were *both* a bit flamboyant, ( ) and that is what wins dressage. Her comments that that they are indeed in a show- and thats what dressage is about- its a show.

Anyway- it was wonderful. Simple as that. And I agree with JAgold- they can do it- they have before.

I think that some got really low marks, and I think it felt unfair to me (Natalies ride for one) but as another poster said- who am I to judge? I can only say it was a nice test to watch. JMHO
                            That's really all I meant by starting this thread....to get a score like that it must have been a really nice test to watch (and will hopefully be on the video). But the great stuff to watch will be tomorrow! Some day I will get there to watch...

Comment

I watched Windfall today. It was the kind of ride that brings goosebumps to you. It was truly spectacular. I can't imagine how Darren and Tim Holekamp feel.

I sent Tim an email of congratulations and wished him the best of luck tomorrow. They will need it as all riders do. We all know this sport is a combination of skill, talent, and luck. We also all know Windfall can do it.

With a little luck they will prevail tomorrow. We know they have the skill and talent.

Interesting enough I received a prompt reply of thanks from Tim. Truly a class act. They have come a long way since Windfall was imported.

Sitting in the stands all day there was not a more popular horse/rider combination out there, especially after their spectacular performance. The crowd was educated enough to appreciate the quality of the ride.
                              -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Originally posted by fergie
                                That is one arrogant little snit that doesn't "deserve" a thing (the rider, that is....).
                                Wow, what's that about?

I spoke with Darren after his lovely, goosebump-inducing test, and he was nothing but gracious and deferred all praise to his horse.
                                They have my applause, and my best wishes.
                                To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Comment

I met Darren at the Fork and he seemed extremely gracious and pleasant.... *shrug*

When I can do half as well, I'll feel free to snipe, I guess..... :-)

Jennifer
                                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Top if the field is tough

I expected Darren to have a good ride, however not that good! IMPRESSIVE!

I'm personally rooting for Stephen. I was way impressed to see him do so well on From, however thought he would have done better on Josh, esp after a great first test. A good friend of ours is grooming for him, so we'll have to get the dirt when we talk to her.

I think it's wide open right now between the top riders b/c of the tight grouping of the scores. You've got some VERY talented XC jockeys and tomorrow should prove VERY entertaining esp since the top 5 are within 11 pts and top 17 within 20.

I hate that we couldn't go watch....... next year...
                                    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
                                    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
                                    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
                                    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Comment

Anyone see

Ralphs Dressage??

Comment

Originally posted by Sannois
                                        Ralphs Dressage??

Yes. The trot work wasn't bad, though Billy looked a bit tight.
                                        His half passes were not good, so scored lower.

His canter work was also tight, and in one of the changes esp., they got into a bit of a fight about it.
                                        In the end, it was a 61-something, I think.

He and Andrew had hoped to come in around the mid-40s, but it wasn't in the cards yesterday.

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                        X