• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"What if" rules question #2 - jump judge stops rider inappropriately

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What if" rules question #2 - jump judge stops rider inappropriately

Suppose you're part way through your x-c course and you discover the jump judge for the fence you are approaching standing in front of the fence, blocking your way and informing you that you have been eliminated for missing the previous fence...

Clearly, you have NOT yet been eliminated, because you have not yet jumped the fence following the one that you missed.

But the jump judge has given you unauthorized assistance by telling you that you've missed a fence.

What do you do?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

The only time I would do that, as a jump judge is if the radio told me to stop the rider. Yes, you are right, technically you haven't jumped the next jump yet, but if they are having to stop you in front of the next fence...come on, you had planned to jump it, hadn't you?

If the rider hadn't planned to jump the fence, it would be obvious.

To tell you the truth, those sort of calls NEVER come over the radio when I have been a jump judge. Those are the sort of E's that happen in scoring. We are mostly told when the rider has had four stops and that we need to stop a rider.

Have you jump judged and had this happen to you?

Comment

This is a good question. Clearly jump judges are requested not to give this information as the rider should only be eliminated if they actually jump the fences out of order.

I would like to hear other answers in general.

I had a similar problem when a facilites summer campers were the jump judges. The girls at each fence must have been between the ages of 10-14 with minimal instruction. There were several problems throughout the day in all divisions with different riders. After 1 stop at the water complex and then leaping through it I made my way to a few other obstacles and then up a large hill to a ramp. As I got within 10 strides I saw the small jump judge jump up from her chair, at 5 strides she was in front of the fence, I yelled "heads up", and she said "stop your eliminated!". I circled around her at the canter and then trotted and said "I've only had one stop how am I eliminated?". The small girl simply replied "It's one stop and your out!" I ended up walking off the course to the TD. The TD felt awful and gave me two choices-either to continue from where I was stopped or to retire. I ended up retiring because my horse had been so good that day at his first event that I did not want to risk it by going back out and turning it into a bad situation for him.
      "Want to ride for fun? Ride a carousel."-Gina Miles

Comment

I agree with Hannahsmom, I've been jump judging all over Area 1 for years and never experienced anything like this. They always tell us that unless there's a safety issue to not stop the rider, and if we DO stop the rider, we have to time and note it. So even if someone did stop you they should be making a record of the time, and so should you! Hopefully you can sort things out and be on your merry way and have your time adjusted on the other end once you finish your round.

Comment

• Original Poster

This happened today in the BN at Flagstaff (Spring Coconino Horse Trials - recognized show). Apparently the jump judge at the fence following the one that the rider had missed heard the jump judge at the previous fence report over the radio that the fence had been missed. And took it upon him/herself to stop the rider.

So it was jump judge error.**

The rider's response was along the lines of "Oops!" because she knew she truly had missed the fence. All she wanted to do was go back & jump the fence she had missed and continue on, accepting her elimination. She is new to eventing and was having a good time and just wanted a good experience for her horse. They let her do that, but she did get der big "E".

So it was all good in the end from the organizer's point of view.

But...

With a more aggressive rider and/or a more aggressive trainer, looking to cause a stink... couldn't the rider have protested having been stopped inappropriately and demanded that she be allowed to continue, with some time adjustment for the delay caused by the jump judge's error?

** Many of our judges, bless their hearts, are not experienced eventers, and many of them are young. But they're willing to sit out there with their clipboards & pencils & radios, thereby allowing the show to take place. So I think that for the most part, people cut them slack if they goof up. But the organizers also try not to disadvantage the riders.

Comment

EventingDiva, that's terrible! This was at a recognized horse trials?? While clearly it's a great idea to get kids involved in volunteering and giving back to their sport from an early age, there's a time and a place for that - and it's not where they'll be interfering with competitors' rides because they don't know the rules.

As for the original post - clearly the jump judge has made an error there because you're NOT eliminated yet. Hannahsmom is right that it was probably clear that you were planning on jumping the fence, but they still can't preemptively eliminate you... Hopefully they would have marked down the time, and perhaps you could ask the jump judge to radio the TD to ask him/her how to handle the situation from there?

Comment

Originally posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
              This happened today in the BN at Flagstaff. Apparently the jump judge at the fence following the one that the rider had missed heard the jump judge at the previous fence report over the radio that the fence had been missed. And took it upon him/herself to stop the rider.

So it was jump judge error.**

The rider's response was along the lines of "Oops!" because she knew she truly had missed the fence. All she wanted to do was go back & jump the fence she had missed and continue on, accepting her elimination. She is new to eventing and was having a good time and just wanted a good experience for her horse. They let her do that, but she did get der big "E".

So it was all good in the end from the organizer's point of view.

But...

With a more aggressive rider and/or a more aggressive trainer, looking to cause a stink... couldn't the rider have protested having been stopped inappropriately and demanded that she be allowed to continue, with some time adjustment for the delay caused by the jump judge's error?

** Many of our judges, bless their hearts, are not experienced eventers, and many of them are young. But they're willing to sit out there with their clipboards & pencils & radios, thereby allowing the show to take place. So I think that for the most part, people cut them slack if they goof up. But the organizers also try not to disadvantage the riders.
              Okay, this is more a situation for the jump judge's briefing. Let them know they are not to 'take it on themselves' to make this kind of call. Unless the CONTROLLER tells them to do something, or the TD tells them to do something, or the PREZ of the ground Jury, tells them to do something, then they are just to deal with their specific jump. I know what you are saying about 'bless their hearts' for willing to be sitting out there so the briefing needs to be more specific to tell them what to NOT do. You don't want to disappoint the competitors so I always err on giving the benefit of the doubt but I have often found jump judge briefings to be very poor (spoken as an upper level competitor). So the better the briefing, the better informed these well intentioned volunteers will be.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hannahsmom View Post
                Okay, this is more a situation for the jump judge's briefing. Let them know they are not to 'take it on themselves' to make this kind of call. Unless the CONTROLLER tells them to do something, or the TD tells them to do something, or the PREZ of the ground Jury, tells them to do something, then they are just to deal with their specific jump. I know what you are saying about 'bless their hearts' for willing to be sitting out there so the briefing needs to be more specific to tell them what to NOT do. You don't want to disappoint the competitors so I always err on giving the benefit of the doubt but I have often found jump judge briefings to be very poor (spoken as an upper level competitor). So the better the briefing, the better informed these well intentioned volunteers will be.
                I fully agree - this should have been addressed in the jump judge briefing. And maybe it was, and this judge missed the briefing, or was at the briefing and zoned out, or... any of a number of unfortunate circumstances.

It should not have happened.

But it DID happen.

Things happen that shouldn't happen (and really, on a scale of 1 to a rotational fall, being stopped inappropriately on a BN course is pretty minor, isn't it?).

It seems to me that what happened in EventingDiva's situation is what the outcome should be - the TD/PoGJ/whoever is in charge of these things should give the rider the option to continue or retire (vs. getting eliminated).

But what do I know? That's why I'm asking here

Comment

My situation was at a recognized event. The kid felt terrible too and was crying-she thought she was doing the right thing. I agree-there is a time and a place.

As for the original post I also think that unless you were told to hold that rider or call them off the fence then it's not your place to do. Once that rider had jumped the jump, it should have been called as an elimination and the following jump judge should have called her off for going off course. Jump judge briefings are short. Those who are unsure of a call out in the field need to radio in and say "this is the situation ... , what should I do?". I'm so thankful for the volunteers at events, but I urge all the make sure they attend the jump judge briefing and feel free to radio in with questions.

Comment

Not my experience

I've been jump judging for 3 seasons now, many different events in Area IV and have never witnessed an incident in which the JJ stopped a rider inappropriately. All the briefings I've been to have been very informative and educational, and we always hear that the controller needs to tell a JJ to stop a rider, unless we have 3 disobediences in our jump, or if the rider has accumulated 3 disobediences prior to our jump (but again, radioed by the controller).

One JJ saw a rider mistakenly attempt the Training jump next to the Novice one he was supposed to do, and she had to watch him try it 3 times, with 3 refusals, and she still couldn't tell him anything because up until then he wasn't eliminated. Only after he started walking off the course, thinking he was eliminated, she was able to radio in the situation but did not say a word to the rider, as it'd have been unauthorized assistance.

I guess the situation described by the OP is uncommon, at least in our area.

Comment

So was he eliminated? I guess not as that was not his jump. But if he didn't realize it and did not proceed to the Novice jump then he would be eliminated right? I jumped a Training level once instead of the Novice but realized it and turned and did the Novice so all was well.

Comment

Re flea's question ... at what point would the rider have been eliminated? I would guess if he never returned to finish the course, it would be when twice the opt. time had elapsed.

Could anyone legally tell him before he was eliminated? I would guess not. If he wandered back to his supporters and they screamed "get back on course!" that would be unauthorized assistance ... ?

Comment

Over-The supporters could not tell the rider to get back on course. That would be unauthorized assistance. I've seen this happen before when the riders forgot to cross through the finish flags, get to the crowd, and someone yells "YOU FORGOT THE FLAGS!" Unfortunatly while the rider may have had the ride of their life, I've seen them be eliminated. It's the riders responsibility to know that course (from starting box to finish flags) before they set out.
                          Last edited by EventingDiva; May. 31, 2009, 11:52 PM. Reason: wrong spelling :(

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
                            Re flea's question ... at what point would the rider have been eliminated? I would guess if he never returned to finish the course, it would be when twice the opt. time had elapsed.

Could anyone legally tell him before he was eliminated? I would guess not. If he wandered back to his supporters and they screamed "get back on course!" that would be unauthorized assistance ... ?
                            I believe you are correct (twice the optimum time) altho it may have been when they went thru the finish flags without trying to get back on course. To be on the safe side, I never tell a rider (as a JJ) that they are eliminated. Only scorers can score.

Comment

I was JJ at an event where a rider missed their fence but had not yet taken the "next" fence. The announcer made a comment about the rider missing the fence. The rider then promptly turned around and picked up the "missed" fence and kept going. The rider was not E as it was decided it was not unauthorized assistance but a failure on the part of show management.
                              No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
                              For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
                              Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Comment

Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
                                I was JJ at an event where a rider missed their fence but had not yet taken the "next" fence. The announcer made a comment about the rider missing the fence. The rider then promptly turned around and picked up the "missed" fence and kept going. The rider was not E as it was decided it was not unauthorized assistance but a failure on the part of show management.
                                Isn't this kinda what happened to Bruce at Rolex? Or did I make up that he heard the announcer call it a refusal and then turn around and re-jump it?
                                “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Comment

From the rule book
                                  EV138.8.c.
                                  Officials or spectators who draw the attention of a competitor to a deviation from the
                                  course are giving unauthorized assistance which may result in the elimination of the
                                  competitor.
                                  d. Each case of unauthorized assistance will be decided by the Ground Jury.
                                  I know at least one case where an official (finish timer), without thinking, saw a rider missing the finish flags, and pointed to the finish flags. The rider circled round to go through the finish flags.

The rider WAS eliminated for unauthorized assistance.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by LR1976 View Post
                                    Isn't this kinda what happened to Bruce at Rolex? Or did I make up that he heard the announcer call it a refusal and then turn around and re-jump it?
                                    A little different
                                    EV138.9. AUTHORIZED ASSISTANCE.
                                    a. Headgear or spectacles may be handed to a competitor at any time.
                                    b. A competitor may receive clarification of jumping penalties from an obstacle judge,
                                    e.g. after jumping a flag at a corner, the judge may clarify whether it was a run-out or
                                    not.
                                    The rule says "obstacle judge", not "announcer", but the spirit is the same.
                                    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post

Either Eliminated on Time, or it could be considered "Retired on course".

No, no one can tell him.
                                      Janet

Comment

• Original Poster

In my next life, I want to be Janet

(Seriously, Janet - I really admire your grasp of the rules.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X