• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

May-Daze results and stories!!!????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May-Daze results and stories!!!????

I expect there won't be any official results today, but if anyone gets results that they can post, please do! VERY interested in the NOVICE divisions!!!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

It was hot. Think Champagne Run at the Park hot. Sorry, no results for you at Novice. We had the worst dressage score I've ever had and had a refusal at our first stadium fence, but otherwise had a good day. Did I mention that I'm riding a greenie (his first recognized)?

Comment

Wanted to catch you today, but after being gone a week I washed the horse, house and barn (my stuff, that is). And it WAS hot! What time is your xc tomorrow? You'll have fun!
      http://www.angelfire.com/ult/irishmosaic/Dublin/

Comment

Sonny was great! He was warming up awesome for dressage, but I got a bit tense in the ring because it was my first time doing Training Test B all the way through. I'm already challenged with circles at X so the 15m were hard, haha. In the pictures he looks really good to me though. The judge has given us 72% and 73% at a dressage show and a 31 at Novice, but she was tougher on me this time, . Well anyway, a 39.5 put us in 14th.

Stadium was fun and very nice with the exception of the last vertical which we got flat to and had an awkward jump. He was jumping so well even after he ended up having to stand in the shade for over 30 minutes before the round. People were having tons of rails so I was very pleased with him.

Cross country was a bit randomly designed, but not in a way that affected the flow. I don't know how to describe it, but it rode well. I have been working on fitness with Sonny, but it is taking so much longer than I thought it would! So I planned on not pushing him for time especially with heat. I wasn't sure if I was being a wimp, but I thought it felt as hot as July this weekend too. We had a clear round with a couple of awkward jumps, but he was awesome. It was fun! If I had pushed him for a longer, faster gallop in between we would have made time like at Chattahoochee Hills but as it was we ended up having 4.4 time faults.

So in the end we finished 11th, but I'm happy. My grandparents drove down from upstate NY to watch me at a show for the first time and see their first ever horse trial, and they had a great time. They think eventers are some of the nicest people they have ever met. And I love Sonny! My grandparents can take him on walks without any problems.

I really want to work on fitness this next month though. He can trot and trot and trot, but the gallop tires him much quicker especially in the heat. We have called and called the farm with the aquatred without a response so I think we will just drive over there.
        T3DE Pact

Comment

I'm doing BN, and I have to second that it was REALLY hot! My mare had her best dressage score to date :-) but came in akward to fence 8 in stadium and I flubbed and had to circle her we are sitting 6th going into cross country.

I watched a bunch of the novice cross country as some friends were riding and was surprised at the number of stops I was seeing. In 1 1/2 hours I saw 2 horses retire from too many stops, one rider fall off, and probably 5 horses have trouble at the water complex. The course didn't look too hard ? but there may have been some green horses on course.

Comment

Well, we just got home after our long drive back. Yes, it was HOT! We have been having these lovely spring temps up here and I did an event last weekend where the high was 60 and breezy. This weekend felt like July! I felt bad for my poor mare having such an extreme change in temps! Unfortunately, we rode dressage around 2 and did stadium about 5:30 pm. We had a decent enough dressage test (for Training test B, which BTW, I hate!) and the crappiest stadium ever. I don't know if it was the lack of ground lines (plus no fillers whatsoever), or the heat, but we were not on our game. However, the x-c was a blast. We went clean and I was particularly proud of us making the turn nicely in the bending line coffin AND the S- turn with the bank complex. The only odd thing in the course was (I thought) the weird approach to the water. But it rode fine. There seemed to be a lot of stops on x-c at Jump 6 and a few others. Maybe that was just my division. Anyway--I left before they had any of the scores up so I have no idea where I ended up. We had fun, but I was glad to get in the air conditioned truck for the drive home!!!

Comment

Congrats everyone!
              Does anyone know when the official results will be posted?

Comment

Knowing Champagne Run, they won't post scores until the end of the week, and maybe never. However, the USEA has been getting scores up QUITE quickly recently, even as early as Tues or Wed after the show.

Comment

Anyone know who did the photos can't remember the name.

Comment

How was the BN XC?
                    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Comment

The BN x-c was lovely- quite galopy one interesting S turn (jump, turn left, bank up, turn right to a fence) and for some weird reason the water was catching horses out left and right at all levels (my guy too who trotted down, stopped, and stepped in- Refusal ). The photographer was Xpress Foto http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/store.aspx?p=5242

Comment

Ptooey! He went though - good boy! Look forward to the pictures. Don't know why I looked already.
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ult/irishmosaic/Dublin/

Comment

BN XC was so much FUN!!!!! The bank at fence 4 was the most challenging thing, but the water to a hedge was getting a few people too. Maydaze was a ton of fun! www.xpressfoto.com did the pics and said they should be up later on this week.

Comment

Tiny did fine. I don't know what it is about me in dressage - I did warm-up absolutely perfect. When she hangs on the rein in warm-up, I DO something about it ! I think 'ok, TinyP, now stop that' and whatever I do - sometimes right, sometimes wrong - she stops leaning. Then I get in the arena... and she's leaning, and I go "oh, Tiny, you're leaning on the rein. Bummer. I wish you weren't". I'm a bit of a numpty.

Sooo... I was pleased with a very generous 34, which is 16 points better than she did at her first dressage test in mid March.

Stadium she just flew round no problem. She's done coloured poles 4 times now so she knows All About Them and wants No Help from her elderly rider, thankyou very much.

XC was super cool. We were almost last to go at 2:40 - and it was not all that hot ! She was tied 2nd at this point, so I had to find out what the rules were for a tie. And then I had to buy a watch, and then learn to use it Warm-up was hilarious. Everyone was on BIG bay grown-up looking horses, and very professional looking (I had inadvertently chosen 'Beginner Novice Horse' rather than 'Beginner Novice Rider' which was probably a mistake ) and everyone looked highly intimidating.

10, 9, 8 etc ... I so tried to hold her back, but we arrived at fence 9, and my watch was reading 1:03 which is errr ... somewhat faster than I was planning, her little legs must have been going at a fair old rate ! so we goofed around and slow-cantered a bit ... and got to listen to the announcer who was English (yay!) and was very complimentary about my Little One.

Soooo.... we made it to within 5 seconds of the optimum time, which I think is reasonably accurate ? I wasn't sure how much tolerance there would be in me clicking the start and the stop button in my new purple gloves, so I thought I'd leave a few seconds in hand.

So Tiny came in second, and I LOVE my little pony. What was even better was that a couple of my friends from different areas, were also there, all in different divisions, and 2 of them had wonderful runs and qualified for the National championthings - so we're thinking about actually going - although it would be rather silly, it would be fun with these guys !

Comment

Congratulations Kate!!!!!!!

Comment

KateWooten-- I think I saw you as you left the upper warmup ring at the dressage! I was leading a bay TB who screeched to a halt so he could check out someone's manure, and we both laughed about it.

Anyway, Taco was a Very Good Boy and I learned a lot from him.

Our dressage was OK-- I "had" him in warmup and was thinking my test would be great, but then lost some of the connection for the test itself and it didn't score that well. 37.9.

XC was the best fun! We hit a rhythm and just clocked around. When I looked at the pics yesterday our jumping photos all have him with uneven knees, but I felt that he was very balanced and responsive, and the galloping pics all show him in a good balance. I went with the pace that was comfortable for him, which meant we went around at around 400 mpm (speed was supposed to be 350).

I was very frustrated with myself after stadium. He warmed up fantastic and then we got in the ring and he was looky and a little backed off. This was when I needed to insist on some giddyup and send him forward, right? Unfortunately I rode a little bit backwards and conservatively, and we had some unpretty fences and a rail that was totally my fault. With our added 4 faults we wound up 7th.

But it was a good, constructive weekend and Taco was such a pleasure.

Oh, and I got to use my US Rider membership on the way home-- my truck blew out a tire less than 20 miles from home and it was *quite* an ordeal to get the spare tire out from under the truck. Finally the young man they sent was able to do it, and Taco, who stood very patiently and quietly on the trailer as all this happened, was able to go home and cover himself with mud in his very own field. PSA: if you have a Ford with a spare tire mounted under the bed, remove it and keep it IN the bed instead!
                                SportHorseRiders.com
                                Taco Blog
                                *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

Hello CookiePony - yes, I remember you. Every poo tells a story Good looking horse though - he stretches down lovely I don't envy you the trip back - mine was uneventful, and I will go and get a spare tire today - I've been pushing my luck a little without one.

Comment

MayDaze was not only very warm, but very humid, too. I was a bit worried how Tess would handle cross country, but she didn't seem to mind the hot weather at all.

Our dressage test went fairly well. We had 32.5 penalty points, which put us in 2nd place.

Because I had gotten a TE for jumping a Novice fence on cross country, last year, I spent Friday evening walking the cross country and forgot to walk the stadium. By the time that I remembered, they were not allowing any more course walks for my division. After watching several riders go, I learned the course. I doubt if walking the course would have prevented my rail down, because it was rider error that caused the rail to drop. We went from 2nd to 4th place.

I thought the the BN cross country course was much better designed this year. It had a good flow and nice long galloping stretches. We finished in 3rd.

I want to thank all of the Volunteers who made this event possible! Great job!!!
                                    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Auburn: congratulations! I remember reading about poor Tess's battle with pneumonia earlier this year. I bet you were so thrilled to be back at an event with your own horse!

Cookiepony: congrats also! I apologize because when you walked past me riding Taco and pointed him out--I was so hot and out of it that I didn't catch it until you were a ways past me. Sorry about that! It sounds like you both had a great weekend. I'm the one who talked with you about Taco while we were getting our packets on Thursday night! Thanks for the tip on the spare. I have always had tires "blow" on my trailer but never on my truck. I just bought a new trailer and asked them to install the spare on the outside for easy access. I didn't want it to be in my dressing room where we have to dig it out from under all of the tack and equipment! Another tip for those untimely tire blowouts.

Comment

had a great time

I had a great weekend with Max! Our dressage was a bit tense, but a 34.2 is not too bad. We had a few 8's and good comments and lots to work on. He was a rock star XC and stadium - the best round to date and I got it on tape (Thanks Dad and Anne). We ended in 5th place. My daughter was delighted to have the pink ribbon Hopefully will be showing at Midsouth!
                                        www.3-dayeventing.com
                                        www.sycamoreridgefarmky.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X