• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mini Rolexes??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Rolexes??

Some years ago, Jack LeGoff (I believe) said he could build a pre-pre course ("mini-Rolex") that no one could get around.

This became an interesting and useful discussion of what is and what is not allowed on lower level courses.

The problem Maplebrook and Miriam had with Trakehners mentioned in a couple of other threads points out to me a problem with taking the attitude that certain questions are too hard for the lower levels.

I believe (and strongly) that all questions need to be asked at the lower levels - that is LOWER fences and adjusted distances accordingly - before they are asked at the higher levels.

What I see here in Ireland is lots of smaller ditches, coffins, trakehners, bounces, water jumps, etc - that are included in lower level courses where horse won't get into trouble (and lose confidence) if they make a mistake at them. This, to me, seems logical and right. Yes, you want the lower level courses straightforward, but don't you also want them to be learning experiences? Why not a 2'bounce (make it off a turn, so the horse & rider CAN'T do it too fast.) or a SMALL double bank (there was one in a Baby novice course that I knew in PA that was lovely - but then it wasn't allowed!) Can't these also be done as options?

The big problem I see in the States is that people don't have the land and the courses over which to practice - thus much of their learning is done in the Events or at clinics hosted by the Event location.

Thus the smaller, more inviting, versions of difficult questions, I would think, would be very nice to have and good for horses and riders.

I think if my first ever Trakhener were a tough Training level one - 3'3" over a maxed deep and wide ditch - I too would have a heart attack.

As it was last weekend, the third fence was a big ditch - but there was no where else to go - so it rode easily! The first Trakehner was about 2'3"-2'6" over a small ditch. Easy! Further into the course, the Coffin was very inviting - small, and the log rails at the bottom over the ditch were slanted so you didn't notice the ditch (unless you looked down [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]), then a bit later a maxed log in the trees (big and very inviting!) two strides to your choice of ditches - the big black gaping one happened to be right on the direct two strides from the log - so - it too flowed smoothly.

A few fences later (after the water - which was ugly and hard - deep & muddy but we went around it because of that) another easy bank with a big drop off (again you could do the easier drop off, but the big one was in the rhythm).... Then another small trakhner - with a small ditch. Then anther water - this one was small log, stride, bank (big drop) into very shallow water, canter out and over another log. Then, the last trakhener, which was maxed (1.0 m/3'3"). By that time riding it, however, it looked minimum (I remember thinking when I walked the course, YIKES, I'm NOT jumping this!). It was easy.... the last two fences were a maxed stone wall with a tiny ditch in front and decent drop, and an easy Irish bank...

The point here is, the course included some very difficult questions but graduated them and kept them all in a rhythm so the horses got very confident by the end. (This was a "Hunter Trial" or Hunter Pace as we call it, not an event.)

The whole experience made an actual event the next day (different location) look absolutely cinchy!

How do you feel about difficult questions made easy for the lower levels - rather than not being included at all? Is this still being discussed in the USEA?

I know, there are a LOT of XC fences/questions I would rather try at a smaller height/degreee of difficulty than at the max'ed level.

Found the view, but too expensive
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!
  • Original Poster

Some years ago, Jack LeGoff (I believe) said he could build a pre-pre course ("mini-Rolex") that no one could get around.

This became an interesting and useful discussion of what is and what is not allowed on lower level courses.

The problem Maplebrook and Miriam had with Trakehners mentioned in a couple of other threads points out to me a problem with taking the attitude that certain questions are too hard for the lower levels.

I believe (and strongly) that all questions need to be asked at the lower levels - that is LOWER fences and adjusted distances accordingly - before they are asked at the higher levels.

What I see here in Ireland is lots of smaller ditches, coffins, trakehners, bounces, water jumps, etc - that are included in lower level courses where horse won't get into trouble (and lose confidence) if they make a mistake at them. This, to me, seems logical and right. Yes, you want the lower level courses straightforward, but don't you also want them to be learning experiences? Why not a 2'bounce (make it off a turn, so the horse & rider CAN'T do it too fast.) or a SMALL double bank (there was one in a Baby novice course that I knew in PA that was lovely - but then it wasn't allowed!) Can't these also be done as options?

The big problem I see in the States is that people don't have the land and the courses over which to practice - thus much of their learning is done in the Events or at clinics hosted by the Event location.

Thus the smaller, more inviting, versions of difficult questions, I would think, would be very nice to have and good for horses and riders.

I think if my first ever Trakhener were a tough Training level one - 3'3" over a maxed deep and wide ditch - I too would have a heart attack.

As it was last weekend, the third fence was a big ditch - but there was no where else to go - so it rode easily! The first Trakehner was about 2'3"-2'6" over a small ditch. Easy! Further into the course, the Coffin was very inviting - small, and the log rails at the bottom over the ditch were slanted so you didn't notice the ditch (unless you looked down [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]), then a bit later a maxed log in the trees (big and very inviting!) two strides to your choice of ditches - the big black gaping one happened to be right on the direct two strides from the log - so - it too flowed smoothly.

A few fences later (after the water - which was ugly and hard - deep & muddy but we went around it because of that) another easy bank with a big drop off (again you could do the easier drop off, but the big one was in the rhythm).... Then another small trakhner - with a small ditch. Then anther water - this one was small log, stride, bank (big drop) into very shallow water, canter out and over another log. Then, the last trakhener, which was maxed (1.0 m/3'3"). By that time riding it, however, it looked minimum (I remember thinking when I walked the course, YIKES, I'm NOT jumping this!). It was easy.... the last two fences were a maxed stone wall with a tiny ditch in front and decent drop, and an easy Irish bank...

The point here is, the course included some very difficult questions but graduated them and kept them all in a rhythm so the horses got very confident by the end. (This was a "Hunter Trial" or Hunter Pace as we call it, not an event.)

The whole experience made an actual event the next day (different location) look absolutely cinchy!

How do you feel about difficult questions made easy for the lower levels - rather than not being included at all? Is this still being discussed in the USEA?

I know, there are a LOT of XC fences/questions I would rather try at a smaller height/degreee of difficulty than at the max'ed level.

Found the view, but too expensive
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

Well, lemme tell ya, every single one of my Beginner Novice students has jumped a 2'6" trakhener with a 3' wide fully revetted ditch. Mainly b/c I, personally, HATE trakheners. I wouldn't even think of putting a BN out on course who wasn't doing triple bounces and such at home. **sigh**

JenniferS
      thirdcharmtrainingcenter.com
      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I've competed BN and Novice in Michigan, and in my limitede experience, most BN and many novice courses are comprised of logs, bigger logs, and creative ways to arrange logs, telephone poles, tires and rocks. There are coops and tables, and there will usually be a little bank or ditch, but all are single fences with big gallop spaces in between. There have been a lot of improvements in recent years, and Michigan does have some really great places to school, but I haven't really felt challenged by the novice fences I've encountered.

It wasn't until I rode at a newly built Novice course last month (Richland Park) that I was confronted with options and multiple fences in combination. It was awesome to see at the novice level. It really made me have to think and adjust throughout the course. (Incidentally, it felt SO good it made me think I could maybe move up to Training in the next year - thus the difficulties schooling on Saturday [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]).

Anyway, I would love to have smaller versions of the more difficult fences to prepare for the higher levels. It only makes sense!

[This message was edited by maplebrook on Oct. 20, 2002 at 12:08 PM.]

Comment

That progression during the course used to be around more in the states, I think. I prefer this type of cross country as you don't need to school cross country jumps so much as you and your horse grow with confidence during the course.

The problem with the Jack LeGoff comment seems like it was too broad and true only if you don't adjust the striding (as you mentioned). We used to have a wonderfully fun course that Lucinda Green called a mini Badminton here in Minnesota to school over. Nothing over 3'3" and most were set at 3' or under with tons of variety. We had Irish banks, water with jumps in and out, set at the lip and 3 strides out, 5 logs set at bounces (all under 2 foot) an adjustable Weldon's Wall. A coffin with a 2'6" rolltop in and out and varying stride options in between. This was all on 15 acres (or less) and was the brainstorm of Betsy Watkins.
          It was a great place to have the Lucinda clinics as Lucinda is the master at learning to ride like your horse is a tube of toothpaste and you are squeezing some out for the big brush.
          The course you described, sounds absolutely fun! It really sounds like it simulates going cross country.
          We have an 8 mile master's pace today, but it is snowing here and I just don't have the gumption to go have some fun as the rain has caused some incredible mud as well. I know I should not be so lazy, but the weather is kind of getting to me already. I'm in trouble... Thanks for sharing your fun ride though! I think this would be something the horses would love as well as the riders.
          Pat Ness

Comment

W--I think it's a lovely idea. But the problem that I see here in the states is that eventing isn't a sport people gravitate to AFTER they've hunted or showed hunters or did dressage or become horsemen in some other disipline and THEN started eventing. We have so many more riders who aren't much more than beginners riding in events. Our lower levels are not only to teach horses the basics but also riders.

How ironic that the course you describe was something you were doing that WASN"T an event. You guys can start your levels of eventing with more difficultly (Your Novice is our Prelim. and Pre-novice or our Training is kind of a new thing over there) for the very reason that you use other riding pursuits such as hunting, hunter paces etc. to start your young horses and to develop riders.

Personally I agree with you 100% but I wonder at what expense it would be to the sport over here.

Comment

Is a trakehner a ditch with a log over it? We have these ditches at my farm and they put big log jumps over top of them. They look scary, but I guess the horse would be doing nothing different than if you jumped the log without the ditch.

We also have one ditch that is HUGE! I'd jump it like a bank - you could jump in and bounce out - it isn't deep, just wide.

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.
              The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Comment

I totally agree. In fact, Lucinda specifically said to the course designer that it would be highly beneficial to build a smaller one (more BN or N size) so that riders could progress in more practical steps. I've seen several smaller double banks, but not any on courses. And of course, bounces aren't hardly ever seen until Prelim. I agree that making the technical questions smaller would certainly prevent some disasters and problems at a higher level. Though, as Jennifer S said, I think that the responisbilty to work through some techinical questions rests now with the riders and the trainers. Putting that type of question on course, would force people to practice it at home, and in my opinion create a safer, more educated, competition base.

*Sometimes I think the so-called expets actually ARE experts.*
                "One thing vampire children have to be taught early is, don't run with a wooden stake."

Comment

I think that sounds like a really good idea. I would love to jump over a BN/N/T Rolex course!! That would be awesome and so much fun!!! Some events have the same kind of jump, just different sizes, but these are usually only single jumps and not combinations. But there was one event I heard of (maybe Southern Pines?? Don't hold me to it) that was P/I/A and had a lot of the same just different sizes. I think I remember seeing pictures of the water (or one, if there's several) where the question (drop in, up on island, drop back in, jump out) was basically the same, but fence sizes were different. I could be totally wrong here, but I have a slight recollection of such a thing.

"It's Friday afternoon...do you know where YOUR Chronicle is??????"

www.geocities.com/HorsepicsPhotography
                  www.horsepicsphoto.com
                  Give back to your community! Volunteer at the local fire department and/or rescue squad!

Comment

Teaching the basics is the trainer's job, not the event's. Beginner Novice events are there to allow riders (and horses) to demonstrate skills they should have perfected at home. The most the event experience should be expected to teach is how to handle the pressure of demonstrating those skills in public in such a way as to still present a smooth, coordinated performance in all three phases on the same weekend. Cross Country is no place for a "beginner" rider, despite what you will see watching almost any USEA BN competition....

I had not noticed that Ireland and the UK had the corner on hunter, jumper, and dressage competitions and riders. There certainly seem to be plenty in my neck of the USA. I have plenty of students who started off in another discipline (several Hunters, a couple Dressage Queens, some Jumpers, even a former saddleseat rider) before gravitating toward eventing. Of course I have several who started off having never sat on a horse but had seen eventing on TV and thought that looked like the sport for them. Do they learn the basics of showing at BN events? Heck no! If they want to show desperately, they can go to the little local h/j show and pick up some ribbons in crossrails, progress to 2' hunters, there are even some shows around here that have 2' Jumpers :-) Then there are little schooling events that offer things like Maiden 2' divisions. I really don't think it would damage the sport irreparably if the Beginner Novice division didn't cater to the lowest common denominator.

Sorry if I rant, but I've had my heart in my throat one too many times just watching BN stadium!!!

JenniferS
                    thirdcharmtrainingcenter.com
                    Third Charm Event Team

Comment

• Original Poster

Couldn't agree with you more, JenniferS.

My thoughts on XC really come from a few years back when I was more involved with Eventing stateside - writing specs, designing & building small courses, & getting the TD license (which I decided not to complete).

There are quite specific rules as to what can and what cannot be on a course. In retrospect, I think it makes building the XC to the lowest common denometer - rather than teaching. Certainly the jumps should be safe (one of the things that horrified me about some of the unrecognized events in NJ/PA!).

There could be options for those who don't want to do the more difficult "parts" of a low level technical fence.

It just seems to me that you need to experience the technical stuff at the lower/safer heights - and since no one BUILDS that, how can anyone experience competing over it. Or, if no one is building that, how do lower level competitors even get to PRACTICE that on schooling days??

There are plenty of places and ways to practice the SJ questions - from your backyard to local schooling shows. But the XC is another matter, and I think of far more fundamental importance.

IF the courses ASKED the technical questions on a lower level, PERHAPS people wouldn't be quite as quick to move up before they are ready?!
                      19 year member of the New Hope clique! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

in terms of the riders. It always seems there are 3 or four in a 50 horse division that think it's like a running race and they blast around. If it could be presented as more of a handy hunter sort of course, I would think that could help some riders understand it is not about jumping at speed.

I believe if we had some truly skinny (4 foot or less) jumps starting at beginner novice, the riders would HAVE to slow down. One is rarely successful racing at a skinny and the most harm to be done is a runout. The 20 foot wide jumps really call to people to turn on the speed as well as all sloping faces (Please not key word on sloping faces ALL--I'm not interested in getting rid of all sloping faces, just adding in a couple of plain old verticals).

Not all people have trainers and that is the reality of the sport.

Pat

Comment

While it's true that not everyone has a trainer (heck, I didn't, until after I had gone Training!), isn't bombing around xc kind of dangerous if a rider has neither that or any kind of clue? It doesn't seem like that is something that should be encouraged. I at least was far from a beginner when I took up the sport. Some 2' skinnies, bounces, and funky looking jumps could help a lot, particularly if they were set up in such a way as to invite a runout instead of a stop. Maybe if they get eliminated enough, the people who have no business being in the ring will get the idea that they might need to go take some lessons. I am so tired of eventing being considered the sport of yahoos and the great untutored! "Oh, you just have to survive five minutes of dressage, and it doesn't matter how you look jumping as long as you get around!"

JenniferS
                          Third Charm Event Team

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JenniferS:
                            While it's true that not everyone has a trainer (heck, I didn't, until after I had gone Training!), isn't bombing around xc kind of dangerous if a rider has neither that or any kind of clue?
                            JenniferS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hoped that's what my post was saying, but maybe it wasn't...
                            Anyway, I agree with you again JenniferS.
                            Pat

Comment

pat on the back: i agree completely. BN might be the scariest course to watch, but the way to fix the problem might be to make it more challenging to discourage the wing-and-a-prayer types from entering. i'd bet that BN courses that are described in the omnibus as "easy" have more, ahem, tense moments than those considered hard. one thing that could make everyone happy would be more options at the lower levels. if you don't think your student is ready for the 18" bounce, instruct her to do the log instead.

also, not all of us have facilities where we can practice cross country.

and while i'm at it, i'd like to rant real quick. i've schooled training and prelim, and i want to move up to training next year. it annoys me that i can't "practice" going training speed at a novice event without getting speed faults. yah, i know i know, its to protect the people who are out of control or at least to make them circle a few times, but i am NOT out of control and i can't afford to enter a bunch of extra events just so i can practice an entire course at speed. okay, i'm done now.

time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Comment

• Original Poster

Triggerfoot - do you have any Hunter Pace events out there? There are some good ones in PA & NJ that use Event courses - there you COULD do the speed.

The "Hunter Trials" here in Ireland ARE like American pace events, just at speed - and provide a great way to practice.

Would your local CTA (whoops, EA, now!) be interested in sponsoring a "Hunter Pace" type of Cross Country event as a school and fund raiser? No Dressage (judges, scribes, etc), no fence judges (a few "spotters" - although here in Ireland, they DO have fence judges), no sj - JUST timers -

that way people could practice their 400/450mpm, in a controlled setting over the size fences they choose, but not in a "competition".

Would that help?

19 year member of the New Hope clique! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

but i don't know if they do it. anyone from indiana/ohio/kentucky know if they have hunter paces around here?

i'll look into the possibility of having the ICTA do something like that, but i'm not sure how to go about it. i'll start by writing a letter i guess.

time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Comment

I agree 100% Weatherford. i've said for a while that part of the scariness you see at prelim in this country in because the leap from training to prelim is TOO big.

I HATE bounces on XC--I think we should get rid of them and put them in SJ, if that's a question we really want to test. BUT, if we are going to insist on having them in XC, then I firmly believe we should start with them at training and maybe even novice level. Maybe six inch logs or foot-high logs at novice, maybe 2 foot logs at training, but waiting until prelim is not kind or wise. Similarly, corners ar e abig question to spring on someone at prelim. I don't dislike the question of corners, but it's a little unfair to throw that in so late in the game.

Now yes, you school these things ahead of time, but we all know it isn't the same as doing it, make or break, on course with adrenaline up.

So I'm all for it, small, round, easy, but with the full questions intact.

Comment

• Original Poster

We have some thoughts and concensus here - WHO is going to talk about it at the USEA Annual meeting?

Who can bring Denny & Jimmy & Roger into the discussion - so something can be done?

Granted, building technical courses means having more educated course builders at the lower levels, however, I believe that is happening in Eventing (unlike SJ! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] )

I would talk about it, for sure, but I am not going to be there - so, someone will have to do so for me!

Please?!

(now that I have, as Heather puts it, returned to the Dark Side.... )

Comment

As this thread has grown I'm going to have to amend my earlier "%100 agreement."

I agree that certain types of fences like trekahners, ditches, banks should be more common at lower levels. I think it would weed out some of the, shall we call it "unprepared riders." It might also help narrow the gap between Training and Prelim so that your not confronted with BOTH new types of fences AND the introduction of true technical questions.

However, I think bounces and other technical questions are completely inappropriate at Training and lower. (bounces now first appear at I not P) As a rider who competes at Intermeadiate (as well as training the horse that far) I have to emphasize to you guys that the difference between P, I and A isn't the type/construction or even size of a fence it's the technicallity --or placement in relation to terrain and other fences and how quickly/often these type of questions come up in the course.

Skinnies, corners and combinations with multipe fences with in strides of each other are NOT appropriate for young horses. Personally I don't think that's how you develop confident horses.

Also, I beleive the speed penalty question is about go under some rule changes so that you will have some latitude to practice higher speeds.

As for people being unsafe and "bombing around XC" that is not at all what I see that's going on unsafe at the lower levels. People CAN'T GO FORWARD! I see Novice (and Training and Prelim) horses strangled by the hardware in their mouth with riders acting like they're being run away with while doing not much more canter than what they do in a dressage ring. I see horses rushing because riders have them so backward that if the horse doesn't rush he'll never have enough power to get over the less than 3' fence in his path.

When horses are being ridden backward they have no opportunity to correct the riders mistakes or find "fifth legs." Backward horses get in trouble and riders get hurt. I would be willing to bet that if the statisic exisit that those lower level riders who "bomb around" have significanlty safer experiences than the slow backward ones!

Comment

Working...
                                        X