• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What is behind the decision to exclude "Classic" format?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is behind the decision to exclude "Classic" format?

I was trying to find an article or a resource that outlines the logic behind the move from the classic format to the elimination of the classic format from recognition by the FEI. I know there has been a lot of discussion, posted throughout many threads, of opinions on the change, but I wanted to see if I could find it all laid out in one place. Does anyone know of a statement by the FEI, a research resource... anything that actually delineates the course of the decision. Does it really come down to the threat of being excluded from Olympic participation (as stated in the HBO video)?

In my search, I came across a good blog here: http://ranchette.wordpress.com/category/safety/ (with a link to the HBO video)

I'm having a hard time believing that it is strictly what the sport 'has to do' to continue to participate at the Olympics. If that's the case, I have to say, IMO, it's a huge mistake to adapt the sport for the sake of non-equestrians (and to the detriment of the horses and their riders). Aren't there enough internationally competitive events (e.g., **** that bring the top riders in the world together) that we can (and do) have competitions of Olympic caliber without Olympic validation? Anyway, that jumps ahead of the question, so nevermind my thoughts on it.

I think another question revolves around a situation the YRs are facing... in area II, the YRs can compete at the * at Va Horse Center. There is an option to do the CCI* with or without steeplechase. Since our horse/rider did the CCI* (with) last Fall at Morven, to put it candidly, I've realized it is the greatest thing a horse and rider can do. Seriously, though, this is a conflict facing the YRs and others right now - you could do the classic format, but you "shouldn't" if you plan to continue eventing regularly throughout the season and want to go to the NAJYRC in July (and the classic format is no longer considered a qualifying competition). It seems (actually, it is *clear*) that riders now have to (and, luckily, have the opportunity to) decide whether they want the experience and education of the clasic format or the FEI recognition of the new and abbreviated short format.

Anyway, I apologize for the long post (lol *short format* being the fashion of the day). I am trying to process this - the pros and cons of the short v/s classic and the entire logic (or lack thereof) behind a seemingly detrimental shift in the sport that we can either participate in or be marginalized by.

I believe it began as a matter of space, the Olympic venues couldnt provide the acreage for phases A, B and C.

Comment

Is the FEI truly not going to recognize the long format anymore? At the upper levels people have stopped entering long formats because they don't need them to move on.

Comment

At the annual meeting we were told that FEI had made the decision to not recognize the full format any more. A long format would be considered a CCN*. I would think most of you would rather not have FEI involved. It will definitely cheaper to do one without having to pay all the FEI fees. As far as qualifying, it stinks, but I believe the USEF is working on trying to get an exception from the FEI to use the CCN* as a qualifier it just hasn't happened yet. We already have to get special exception from them every year to use the 2 CIC* as qualifiers.
        Gwen Dean
        Erie Hunt & Saddle Club HT Secretary

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey! Just found this: http://equisearch.com/horses_riding_...308/index.aspx (pretty comprehensive statement by Jim Wofford in 03, though I don't have the article mentioned from January 09).
          Last edited by crittertwitter; Mar. 25, 2009, 11:25 AM. Reason: Remove duplicate info

Comment

Originally posted by eqsiu View Post
            Is the FEI truly not going to recognize the long format anymore?
            That is correct

Comment

Originally posted by crittertwitter View Post
              eqsui, We received the word from the YR coordinators earlier this year that any classic format * will not be considered qualifying rides (not a decision made by the YRs, but a decision made by the FEI).

Hey! Just found this: http://equisearch.com/horses_riding_...308/index.aspx (pretty comprehensive statement by Jim Wofford in 03, though I don't have the article mentioned from January 09).
              See above post
              Gwen Dean

Comment

It's not really that awful, I just hope organizers will continue to offer long format at the * level. I'll likely never get there, but I know a lot of people for whom a * is a crowning achievement.

Comment

There is an article on the USEA website about those organizers banning together to keep offering the long format.
                  Gwen Dean

Comment

• Original Poster

Is it really not tragic? I see the 2 directions as choices a rider must make, one being in the professional direction, the other in the practical and well-rounded horsemanship direction. And for certain partnerships, the paths are mutually exclusive because of time and budget constraints. I *do* think it's a big deal that the classic format is only offered at the 1* level and while I'm grateful to the organizers who are committed to those, it is discouraging that the 1* level is the peak of that path of competition. And, as performance schedules are centered entirely around the short format events, fewer and fewer people participate in the classic format (and how long can organizers run classic events with low entries).

What did folks do way back when there was only the long format and their horses needed rest after them?

At this point, entry into a CIC, CCIwo, etc. is unavoidably a political decision. And even those who do want to support the classic format find that entering is at odds with other goals in the season. To me, it *is* significant that the classic format has been removed as a recognized step toward the peak of the sport. It turns a blind eye to depth in favor of convenience, imo.

However. If the majority do not feel it's a 'bad' thing, then there you have it. While it seems like mid 20th century Russian politics, maybe it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by crittertwitter View Post
                      What did folks do way back when there was only the long format and their horses needed rest after them?

They rested their horses. A concept which seems more and more foreign in the modern business-driven world of eventing.
                      "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Comment

FOLLOW THE MONEY!

I am still surprised at how many eventers don't understand the financial underpinnings (or lack thereof) of upper level eventing. Upper level eventing requires significant external financial support from commercial sponsors and affluent individuals, either as owners or as patrons. It may be an over simplification, but the primary motivation for both companies and people to fork over large sums of money to support upper level eventing and eventers is recognition or, more crudely, bragging rights. The ownership model of upper level event horses is much more like that of racing than amateur-owner. Signing large checks is the most physical involvement owners have with the care, training and competing of their horses. The Olympic Games is the most generally recognized prestigious competition in which any human or equine athlete can participate.

The financial business model of the Olympic Games, since the departure of Avery Brundage, is to be a marketing tool for multi-national organizations to reach a world-wide audience. Eventing, particularly in its long format, was costing too much to put on and not attracting a large enough (primarily TV) audience to justify remaining an Olympic sport. Therefore the FEI, being solely concerned with international upper level eventing, would have done anything to keep eventing in the Olympics, to keep up the cash flow necessary to support upper level eventing. If the Olympics, being the pinnacle of sport as far as the general public is concerned, agreed to the "downsizing" of the sport to keep it within the Games, there's no need to require other (lesser in the public's mind) competitions to do anything else.

Given that most upper level eventers make their living from the sport, they also recognize the need to "keep up the cash flow" from sponsors, patrons and owners. So there was very little push-back from upper level riders when the long format was dropped.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
                        You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

Comment

Originally Posted by crittertwitter View Post

Way back when there were no CICs and there very few events in the late fall and early spring. If our horses did a long format, there was always plenty of time to give them a good rest before beginning our season again. Now, it just seems like there is no "seasons". They just keep going, and going.
                          Gwen Dean

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy View Post
                            That is correct
                            No, it is not. Below is a snippet of information sent on March 16, 2009 from the FEI to the NFs involved in Eventing. The full document is posted on the FEI website as well.

Re: 2009 Rules for Eventing – Clarification and Amendment proposals

The Eventing Committee reviewed at their recent meeting 2-3 March 2009 several clarifications & modifications partly requested by NFs to the revised 2009 Rules for Eventing in force as of 1 January 2009.

It was agreed that the following proposal would be submitted to NFs and to the Bureau for
                            approval. As timelines are tight – NFs comments on the proposed changes to be implemented immediately and for 1st July 2009 would be required by 27 March 2009 – the Bureau can then review these proposals for approval at their upcoming meeting 31 March/1 April 2009.

A. Amendments/clarifications proposed – urgent for immediate implementation
                            after the Bureau meeting for 15 April 2009.

1. Clarification for events still wishing to organize phase A, B & C:
                            Art 501.1 Definition of CCI-Three Day Event – add after 1.3 to clarify:
                            “(For events organizing International CCI with Phase A, B and C, 2008 Rules for Eventing
                            articles referring to Steeple-chase & roads and tracks will apply. Penalties received on phases A,B & C will not be included in FEI results or count for Qualification results)” (15 April 2009)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Comment

This is a cop out! All this means is, for all intense purposes, that the FEI does not recognize the CCI. Except they finally figured out how to make a person be "sort of pregnant."

What this does is to allow the NFs to run CCIs should they chose and for those to count. But they no longer consider any penalties outside XC. (Yea! I 2 stops on steeple chase and still get a FEI qualifying score! Zippity freaking doo.) It also enables the FEI to keep its grubby hands in on the CCNs that are run here, thus not really helping us out either. So, this rule actually hinders the NFs to run efficient CCNs. What a crock.

Reed

Originally posted by canterlope View Post
                              No, it is not. Below is a snippet of information sent on March 16, 2009 from the FEI to the NFs involved in Eventing. The full document is posted on the FEI website as well.

The Eventing Committee reviewed at their recent meeting 2-3 March 2009 several clarifications & modifications partly requested by NFs to the revised 2009 Rules for Eventing in force as of 1 January 2009.

It was agreed that the following proposal would be submitted to NFs and to the Bureau for
                              approval. As timelines are tight – NFs comments on the proposed changes to be implemented immediately and for 1st July 2009 would be required by 27 March 2009 – the Bureau can then review these proposals for approval at their upcoming meeting 31 March/1 April 2009.

“(For events organizing International CCI with Phase A, B and C, 2008 Rules for Eventing
                              articles referring to Steeple-chase & roads and tracks will apply. Penalties received on phases A,B & C will not be included in FEI results or count for Qualification results)” (15 April 2009)

Comment

And for certain partnerships, the paths are mutually exclusive because of time and budget constraints.
                                Which is to say that if you're a modern-day BNT, even though lip-service is given to how horses should be and are conditioned just the same for a Classic CCI vs. the new format, the fact is that you're putting the horse routinely in 2-3 "CCIs" per year, where that never used to happen with the old format.

I mean, who has TIME to let a horse down any more, and to think about the long haul? Honestly.
                                Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                  Which is to say that if you're a modern-day BNT, even though lip-service is given to how horses should be and are conditioned just the same for a Classic CCI vs. the new format, the fact is that you're putting the horse routinely in 2-3 "CCIs" per year, where that never used to happen with the old format.
                                  Actually, though I admit my experience is somewhat limited, but I'm pretty sure that in the long format days it was not uncommon to do two CCI's a year - one in the spring and one in the fall. Thus, you might have done Fair Hill one fall and Rolex the following spring, for example. Or go to a spring three star and then do Fair Hill. Or go up to Checkmate and then maybe Radnor. Etc. I know I groomed for folks who ran schedules like that and it didn't seem particularly out of the ordinary: the horses had a core base of fitness and seemed to do fairly well.

As far as letting down horses on today's schedule, what I'm seeing these days is lots and lots of folks throwing horses out to let them be horses from middle of October to early December or even later, and, when bringing them back, doing mostly walking/hacking. Similarly, I see lots of horses get kicked out to a field after a spring three day (be it Rolex or Jersey) and left alone for a month to six weeks. Obviously, I'm not in every barn nor do I know everyone's programs, but I still think it's more common than not that folks are letting horses have time to be horses to the extent possible (there are some horses who just don't do all that well when kicked out for a month or so and are temperamentally better suited to start just walking/hacking earlier than others).

Comment

pardon my $hitty pants...I did not receive this latest email from the fei or my national federation. But the RESULTS of A,B and C will not be recognized....so I stand by my comment miss smarty pants.

Comment

GotSpots, todays horses go far more 2 or 3 star than they would have done during the LF in a year, it has doubled.
                                      Maybe not in the US, because there are not that many shows, but if you look at UK and European sceduals, its pretty wild.
                                      The CICs and CCIs short made it possible to have a very early spring season, in Portugal and Spain.
                                      Some of the European horses that will come to the Rolex will do a tune up 3 star 4 weeks before the Rolex.
                                      Look at the World Cup final how many Olympic horses did go that one.
                                      Its insane, so much about the shorty to be more horse friendly.

Considering the FEI rule, I think Reed phrased it beautifull.
                                      One more reason to get organized over here.
                                      That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
                                      Caveman extraordinair

Comment

If the clarification goes through-- does that mean that the USEF will not use the CCN option? Or has that yet to be decided?
                                        SportHorseRiders.com
                                        Taco Blog
                                        *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

Working...
                                        X