• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SPINOFF: Rubber Reins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPINOFF: Rubber Reins

I am not a fan of rubber reins. To me they are too bulky and thick, and if you are unfortunate to get the kind without grips, it's a little too easy for them to flip through your hands. Is there anyone out there who agrees with me, and has found a durable substitute? My trainer says I could always use leather reins for XC, but I might not always come back with all the pieces

Thinline reins. Pricey but worth every penny and they fit nicely in my small hands. I don't know how I ever lived without them!

Others seem to love the Eventa reins. I can't stand them.

If I were too poor for Thinline reins, I'd buy the Nunn Finer Soft Grip reins from Bartville Harness Shop.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Bobby's. Best rubber reins and only like $50.

Comment

web reins

I have had rubber reins and they kind of melted over time. I have decided I like the web reins with the leather stops.

Comment

Originally posted by juliet View Post
          I have had rubber reins and they kind of melted over time. I have decided I like the web reins with the leather stops.
          The melting can be caused by getting fly spray on them. Once I figured that out and kept them out of the line of fire I haven't had that problem since.

Comment

I use beta reins and I think they're AWESOME. They're a good size, thin but not too thin and they have a good grip without being "sticky." They also go in the washing machine when they're dirty.

Everyone who's ridden with my reins loves them, and most go buy a pair!

Comment

I second the Bobby's reins, I love mine. I did get the thicker rein because that's just what I prefer, but they do come in a smaller size. (I don't know how anyone can use anything but rubber... other reins bug the crap out of me ). Good luck in your search!
              It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Comment

I like the Ovation Four-Star Event rubber reins. I know they are rubber, but they are really really really flexible and super grippy. My first bridle had them and when the nubbies finally wore out after a year and a half of hard riding, I bought three new pairs; one for showing, one for schooling, and one for back up. The only thing that makes me sad about them is the fact that they only come in brown and brass...I wish they also made black and silver ones so I can use them in dressage!

Comment

I never liked the rubber reins either, the ones I had ridden in were too stiff. I got the Jeffries Bio Grip reins purely because they came in red (my eventing colors) and they turned out to be SO nice! They're really soft and super grippy

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/prodshow...2&scats=49,95#
                  http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

FWIW-I love love love the Nunn Finer soft grip and use them for jumping and dressage-because they're flexible, they don't feel as stiff to me. I know others have posted complaining about being slippery when wet, but I've never had a problem.
                    http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

Jeffries make some that are like the Nunn Finer soft grips. They are really really grippy and very thin and flexible. I actually find them too grippy for xc, all that slipping and gathering, I like the thicker ones, they are easier to deal with in those terms. The soft grips I find can get caught while Im slipping them.

Also, they make web reins with rubber weaving through them. I hear good things. They are very thin.

Comment

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nunn Finer Soft Grip Reins.
                        My only problem with them is that they are too long. However my horse has a really short neck.
                        -Hannah

Comment

HWilliams- call Bartville tack and get yourself a pair in cob length!! I too have a few short necked horses and the cob size reins are the perfect solution.

Love..love..love the soft grip reins and get mine from Bartville for around $50. I have small hands and little grip strength so they work well for me. 3 hrs of hunting and no sore hands means a lot to me.
                          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post
                            Also, they make web reins with rubber weaving through them. I hear good things. They are very thin.
                            That's what I use! They're pretty cheap too. I'd buy the Nunn Finers if I had money to blow, but the rubber weave beats the rubber pimple reins which are much too thick for me. The thinner the reins, the better for me. I also hate stoppers! Cotton web reins with stoppers are my worst nightmare... they fly thru your hands till they get stuck on a stopper--there are no options in between!

Comment

I used to like the web reins with the several lines of thickish rubber thread run down the center in various colors, couldn't stand rubber reins, then I met Bobby's rubber reins and now they are on every bridle I own. Thin, flexible, grippy and only $50...

Jennifer
                              Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Originally posted by HWilliams View Post
                                LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nunn Finer Soft Grip Reins.
                                My only problem with them is that they are too long. However my horse has a really short neck.
                                Same here, my horse is only 15 hands and they're pretty long. Excellent reins though.

Comment

Your local tack store should be able to shorten reins for you. I am also a huge fan of the web reins (with stops) with rubber woven in. I've been able to get them very inexpensively. For dressage, I'm currently riding in leather reins with rubber lining that I find great (before that, I used to use web reins for dressage also).
                                  OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Another vote for Thinline reins. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these reins. I have little hands and have the same problem with rubber reins. The only problem with these reins I have found is that they are not grippy when you wear big thick fleecey gloves in winter -- nothing I'd compete in!

I can't speak to durability as I got them last year and then had a big crash in them -- ripped one almost all the way through (the leather part, nothing to do with the thinline part -- we flipped, so it was pretty dramatic!). I am hoping to get them repaired as I've never had reins I love so much but they are pricey...
                                    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by Jleegriffith View Post
                                      HWilliams- call Bartville tack and get yourself a pair in cob length!! I too have a few short necked horses and the cob size reins are the perfect solution.

Love..love..love the soft grip reins and get mine from Bartville for around $50. I have small hands and little grip strength so they work well for me. 3 hrs of hunting and no sore hands means a lot to me.
                                      I saw those at Bartville a few weeks ago and they looked incredible! I also have small hands, and agree that those would be perfect!
                                      Cindy

Comment

Does anyone know if reins can be "re-rubbered"? I have two sets that the leather is still in great shape, but the rubber has completely disintegrated.

Comment

Working...
                                        X