Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

WTF Are We Doing ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by IFG View Post
    Jealoushe, youmissed one from 2016:

http://eventingnation.com/tf-kreisle...woodside-cic3/
    Ugh. I have to update the list but lately, it just seems to disheartening.
    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, it has come to my attention that there have been several deaths this year that have been UNREPORTED. WHY??? Why are we hiding the truth in our sport? If we want to make it safer, we need to be OPEN AND HONEST. This is extrmely disheartening.

Here I was thinking 2019 has been better, but sadly it has not. I will update the list shortly. Just confirming my research.
      Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Andrew Heffernan's Gloriette Tn was euthanized after a fall June 17 2018 at Catton Park in the UK Intermediate. The horses results list the horse as RETIRED.

Tyler Cassles Machismo Star was euthanized after a fall March 9 or 10 2019 at Poplar Park UK in the Intermediate. The horses results list as a HF.

2 problems here, one being Gloriette Tns fall being listed improper and another being these deaths were not publicized. Why?
        Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

15 horse fatalities in 2018
          2 so far in 2019

RIP

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
          ****bumped to add 2019 fatalities****

Another rider seriously injured. Two horses killed last weekend. Does anyone really care about these accidents? Is ANYTHING being done?

If either of those falls had turned out just a bit differently, would there be more of an uproar?

How many serious injuries, horse and rider fatalities will it take for some sort of action from our governing bodies or the FEI to take a stance and start to do some research and number crunching about why these things are happening so often.

I don't not want to hear about the inherent "risks" of the sport. We know it's a dangerous sport, but it shouldn't be akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Updated list of Rider and Horse deaths: http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/04/02/ev...#axzz3abkTiuAj

Read more: http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/04/02/ev...#ixzz3acTLQ4dk
          Reuse: You may use up to 20 words and link back to this page. Other reuse not permitted
          Follow us: @HorsetalkNZ on Twitter | Horsetalk on Facebook

(nationality/country of accident)

Maxime Debost FRA Sept 17
          Santiago Zone ARG Oct 16
          Nikita Sotskov BLR Sept 16
          Philippa Humphreys USA May 16 (Jersey Fresh)
          *Caitlyn Fischer AUS April 16
          *Olivia Inglis AUS March 16
          *Guillaume Pucci FRA June 15
          *Sabrina Manganaro ITA Apr 15
          *Francisco Seabra POR/ESP Feb 15
          *Benjamin Winter Ger Jun 14
          *Jordan McDonald Can/GB Jun 14
          *Cathal O'Malley Ire Apr
          *Tom Gadsby NZ/UK Aug 13
          *Bruno Bouvier Fra/Por Mar 13
          *Jo Rugman GB Mar 11
          *Sebastian Steiner Aut/Ita Sep 10
          *Robin Donaldson GB Aug 10
          * Elena Timonina RU May 10
          *Dirk Grouwels Bel Mar 10
          *Ian Olding Ire/GB Apr 09
          *Jade South GB Oct 08
          *Emma Jonathan GB Aug 08
          *Stephen Moore IRE Aug 08
          *Karen Rodgers IRE Apr 08
          *Franz Graf AUT Apr 08
          *Shannon Bloomfield GB Jan 08
          *Eleanor Brennan GB/USA Nov 07
          *Maia Boutanos FRA Sep 07
          *Tina Richter-Vietor GER Aug 07
          *Anke Wolfe GER Aug 07
          *Elin Stalberg SWE Jul 07
          *Julie Silly FRA May 07
          *Jo-Anne Williams GB Apr 07
          *Amelie Cohen FRA Mar 07
          *Amanda Bader US Feb 07
          *Kim Hyung Chil KOR/UAE Dec 06
          *Mia Eriksson USA Nov 06
          *Sherelle Duke IRE/GB Aug 06
          *Caroline Pratt GB Sep 04
          *William Booth USA Sep 04
          *Cindy Burge USA Jun 04
          *Samantha Hudson GB Aug 03
          *Rhonda Mason 00
          *Mark Myers Aus Apr 00
          *Jemima Johnson GB Apr 00
          *Peter McLean GB Sep 99
          *Simon Long GB Sep 99
          *Polly Phillips GB Aug 99
          *Robert Slade Aus/GB Jun 99
          *Peta Beckett GB May 99
          *Keith Taylor USA Jun 98
          *David Foster IRE Apr 98
          *Tasha Khouzam AUS Mar 98
          *Roberta Scoccia US 98
          *Linda Riddle US 98
          *Amanda Warrington USA Sep 97
          *Sam Moore Ire/GB Sep 97
          *Anna Savage AUS May 97

Horses
          (Name/country of accident)

Pizazz II April 2019 (UK) - Intermediate South of England HT- Fell head first after clearing fence
          Machismo Star March 2019 (UK) - Intermediate at Poplar Park (UNREPORTED)
          Jurta M Sept 2018 (POL) - CIC2* - collapsed and died on course
          Shannondale Julius Sept 2018 (US) - Fell at a warm up fence and broke neck
          Shadow Sapphire Sept 2018 (UK) - Prelim - fell at a Trakehner
          Box Qutie Sept 2018 (US) - WEG - sustained soft tissue injury and had surgical complications with circulatory issues and was euthanized.
          HHS Dassett Appeal Aug 2018 - (UK) CCI3* Blair Castle - sustained irreparable injury.
          BGS Country Dreams Aug 2018 (IRE) CIC3*- fell (non-rotational) awaiting necropsy.
          Enchanted (USA) July 2018 - Slipped on a turn and fractured leg - Intermediate level
          Axel Z (GER) June 2018 - Rotational fall at upright, spinal injuries -MIPS did not deploy Luhmhlen CCI****
          Gloriette TN (UK) June 2018 - Fall in the Intermediate - euthanized (UNREPORTED) Catton Park
          Second Supreme (UK) June 8 2018 - Stumbled and collapsed after fence 24 Trakehner in the U25 CCI***
          Redpath Ransom (UK) May 6 2018 - Suffered irreparable suspensory injury on course at Badminton CCI****
          Walterstown Don (US) April 2018 - Collapsed on Course between fences CIC***
          Let it Bee (UK) March 2018 - Collapsed on course between fences Adv
          Consensus (USA) Feb 2018 - Collapsed between fences Prelim
          LV Hat Trick (NZ) Feb 2018 - Leg fracture on the flat
          The Manx Man (USA) Nov 2017 - Rotational fall training level.
          Crackerjack (FRA) Oct 2017 - leg fracture on flat /change of footing CCI****
          Bob the Builder (POL) Aug 2017 - leg fracture from fall from a fence
          Abracadabra (CAN) July 2017- leg fracture from fall from a fence - Pre Taining
          Dempsey (CAN) June 2017 - ulna fracture CCI3*
          Jaeda (CAN) June 2017 - collapsed on course CCI3*
          All Aboard (USA) June 2017 - collapsed on course Intermediate Level
          Shanghai Joe (UK) May 2017 - rider fall, horse ran and slipped on pavement and fractured shoulder
          TF Kreisler (USA) Oct 2016 - CIC3* Woodside, fell on XC
          HHS Cooley (UK) July 2016
          Inoui Van Bost (USA) May 2016
          Easy Tiger IV (GB) June 2015
          Uwald (GB) June 15
          Calvin (USA) June 15
          Wise Espartico (USA) June 15
          Favorit Z (IRE) May 15
          Orient Express (NZ) May 15
          Dambala (NZ/US) Apr 15
          Conahy's Courage (US) Mar 15
          Orto (GB) Sep 14
          Wild Lone (Fra) Aug 14
          Liberal (Ger) Jun 14
          Conair (US) Apr 14
          Powderhound (US) Apr 14
          Santa's Keeper (US) Jan 14
          Tortuga Bay (US) Dec 13
          P'tite Bombe (Ger) Jun 13
          Cavalor Telstar (GB) May 13
          King Artus (Ger) May 13
          Flashpoint (US) Apr 13
          Neveah (US) Feb 13
          Apache Sauce (GB) Oct 12
          Franco Jeas (GB) Sep 12
          Heartbreak Hill (GB) Sep 12
          Jagganath (GB) Jun 12
          Lead The Way (GB) Jun 12
          Sugoi (Ire) Jun 12
          Sir Roscoe (GB) Apr 12
          Chicago II (GB) Mar 12
          Willpower (US) Mar 12
          The Grasshopper (US) Feb 12
          Jack's Irish Z (US) Feb 12
          Greystone's Harley (US) Jul 11
          Spring Along (GB) Mar 11
          Dekorum (US) Mar 11
          Mandar (US) Mar 11
          JB's Star (US) Oct 10
          Barenjager (NZ) Oct 10
          Extravagance (US) Sep 10
          Roxanna VI (GB) Aug 10
          Chauncy (US) Jul 10
          Tangleton (NZ) May 10
          Desert Island (GB) May 10
          Porloe Alvin (GB) Apr 10
          Chummin (US) Oct 09
          Out To Sea (US) Sep 09
          Cavort (GB) Aug 09
          Uni Griffon (US) Jul 09
          Which Way II (GB) May 09
          Catherston Defender (Ire) May 09
          Volitation (NZ) May 09
          Ease A Blaze (UK) Apr 09
          Bailey Wick (US) May 09
          Kingpin (US) Apr 09
          Double Chocolate (NZ) Apr 09
          Call Again Cavalier (GB) Nov 08
          Tsunami II (GB) Oct 08
          The Templar Aug 08
          Task Master (Can) Jun 08
          Nullabor (Fra) May 08
          Tigger Too (US) May 08
          Which Way To May 08
          Frodo Baggins (US) Apr 08
          The Quiet Man (US) Apr 08
          Direct Merger (US) Mar 08
          Leprechaun's Rowdy Boy (US) Mar 08
          Task Force (US) Mar 08
          Mister Barnabus Nov 07
          Monarch's Aristocrat Oct 07
          Eight Saint James Place (US) Jun 07
          Icare D'Auzay (GB) May 07
          Skwal (GB) May 07
          Le Samurai (US) Apr 07
          Dutch Twist Apr 07
          Lenamores Dreamer Feb 07
          Brookland Jun 05
          Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Jealoushe, just want to thank you for making the effort to find the info, pull it together in one place and staying on top of it. Strong work!
            They don't call me frugal for nothing.
            Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
              Jealoushe, just want to thank you for making the effort to find the info, pull it together in one place and staying on top of it. Strong work!
              Thank you!

But I have to also thank those who message me, when something is missed or unreported. A lot of posters have helped keep this updated.

Im still shocked these deaths have not been publicized. Not sure what that says about the seriousness of TPTB saying they want a safer sport.
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• It makes you wonder how many more there were in past years that weren't reported and were swept under the rug...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                  Andrew Heffernan's Gloriette Tn was euthanized after a fall June 17 2018 at Catton Park in the UK Intermediate. The horses results list the horse as RETIRED.

2 problems here, one being Gloriette Tns fall being listed improper
                  Asking you for clarification because I can't find any reporting on it anywhere: do you know if Gloriette died as a result of a horse fall? Or did she collapse and die on course and by definition, fall to the ground at some point?

I ask:
                  1) Because if she collapsed on the flat I do think that is most correctly recorded as a retirement - ex. as with Let It Bee - because that is the closest description of what actually happened, if not technically correct.

2) Because I think the part of this thread that collects information on cause of death is truly where the gold mine is in terms of future benefit, and I want to be sure that is as accurate as possible (though I understand that is very difficult when there isn't even an article).

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Marigold View Post

Asking you for clarification because I can't find any reporting on it anywhere: do you know if Gloriette died as a result of a horse fall? Or did she collapse and die on course and by definition, fall to the ground at some point?

I ask:
                    1) Because if she collapsed on the flat I do think that is most correctly recorded as a retirement - ex. as with Let It Bee - because that is the closest description of what actually happened, if not technically correct.

2) Because I think the part of this thread that collects information on cause of death is truly where the gold mine is in terms of future benefit, and I want to be sure that is as accurate as possible (though I understand that is very difficult when there isn't even an article).
                    The horse was euthanized, information based on those at the event and also in the article in the issue below.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/horse...82428464908776
                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post
                      It makes you wonder how many more there were in past years that weren't reported and were swept under the rug...
                      Exactly. I know the one in Ontario in 2017 was not reported, no mention of it by Equestrian Canada or Ontario Eventing. I only knew because I was at the event.
                      Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

The horse was euthanized, information based on those at the event and also in the article in the issue below.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/horse...82428464908776
                        I can’t read the article ... it’s behind a paywall. Is there any chance the horse injured itself while galloping, or during a stumble in which it didn’t fall the whole way down? In those cases ‘R’ would be the right way to record it even if the horse was euthanized (like with Boyd Martin’s Crackerjack).

That said ... it would be the first time a fall was recorded wrong, either.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Sticky Situation View Post

I can’t read the article ... it’s behind a paywall. Is there any chance the horse injured itself while galloping, or during a stumble in which it didn’t fall the whole way down? In those cases ‘R’ would be the right way to record it even if the horse was euthanized (like with Boyd Martin’s Crackerjack).

That said ... it would be the first time a fall was recorded wrong, either.
                          It said related to a fall at fence #, so not sure why it would say that if it didn’t involved a fence.
                          Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

It said related to a fall at fence #, so not sure why it would say that if it didn’t involved a fence.
                            Yeah, that does sound like it was recorded wrong then, if they said it was a fall at a fence. That definitely happens too often.

Comment

• It pains me to add this from today.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...ident,1480548/

She was schooling xc while prepping for Rebecca Farms.

According to a bystander the horse died as well.

Em
                              "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                                It pains me to add this from today.

Em
                                So sad she looked like a very talented young lady. Her record shows that she won the Jr BN AECs in 2017. My deepest condolences to all who knew her

Comment

• Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                                  It pains me to add this from today.

Em
                                  Oh no. Heartbreaking.

Comment

• Original Poster

Horrifying
                                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• My daughter and our horse could have easily been on this list when they suffered a rotational fall schooling stadium jumps at home three weeks ago. The horse was able to somehow redirect her hind end in mid air so it fell away from where my daughter landed. It was just a fluke misstep that could happen to anyone at anytime. Hug your loved ones, both two and four legged as life is fleeting. Godspeed Ashley.
                                      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Is there a jump height under which rotational falls are extremely unlikely to happen? Put another way, do the jumps have to be at a certain height before rotational falls become a significant risk?

Comment

• Originally posted by HLMom View Post
                                          Is there a jump height under which rotational falls are extremely unlikely to happen? Put another way, do the jumps have to be at a certain height before rotational falls become a significant risk?
                                          Theoretically it's a fence that a horse hits between knee and chest height with enough forward momentum to flip over the jump with the striking point being the center of rotation. With a lower, even solid, jump, a catty (or lucky) horse might be able to get a leg out in front of itself to catch the fall or keep it from rotating. However, even a low or collapsible jump can be hit just wrong enough to keep the horse from getting its landing gear out in front and go tail over teakettle.

Is it statistically less likely? Sure. But just because an accident may have a slim chance of happening doesn't mean it can't be 100% tragic.
                                          Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

Working...
                                          X