Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

WTF Are We Doing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We create these XC courses which ask these 'questions' of our horses.

Is it okay with us that an experienced, top-class horse who misreads one of our 'questions' should have to pay for it with his life?

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of the fence?

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post

Is it okay with us that an experienced, top-class horse who misreads one of our 'questions' should have to pay for it with his life?
        I was thinking this. If a course has questions, and a yes means the horse succeeds, the no answer shouldn't equal injury, disfigurement, or death. Isn't there a better way to ask questions?
        When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes.
        -William Shakespeare (Henry V)

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove6 View Post
          I was thinking this. If a course has questions, and a yes means the horse succeeds, the no answer shouldn't equal injury, disfigurement, or death. Isn't there a better way to ask questions?
          Originally posted by JER View Post

Great posts!

I still, for the life of me, don't understand:

Why all the false ground lines and optical illusion type fences at SOLID obstacles? Why are we trying to trick horses and riders??

Why dramatically (over time) increase the level of technicality AT ALL LEVELS, and not change the time?

Running at a time of X mtrs per minute over, say 22 jumps, with 2 - 3 combinations (so a total of 25 efforts) at a certain height, one could say that this could be negotiated at X speed, and still remain safe.

Then, increase the number of combinations, somewhat related distances, single fence technical questions to -say, 7-9 per course. You may still have 25 efforst but they will be placed differently, and demand FAR different rides, gallops, etc., but no change in the over OT. I am not Reed, but it seems to me that it simply doesn't make sense.

It's not like the horses or riders have developed an extra set of eyes, or an extra leg, so we have to make the courses more complicated and still have to be completed at the same speed.

My hear goes out to Liz and her team.
          I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong.
          Frederick Douglass

Comment

sounds like the back rail was pinned. But the horse wasn't coming straight down on the rail, he was coming more forward than down because he was coming from an angle the designers didn't expect - but maybe should have. The pins are designed to work as intended through a certain range of 'angles of attack' that does not include parallel to the ground, correct?
            HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
            www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Comment

I read her post in COTH and found it amazing how brave she was in describing for all her experience and her position on that specific type of fence. My heart goes out to her for losing a horse and I would hope top officials take note and listen to this good, strong person.

I would also hope she sets a future example of being open in talking about what happened(s) in a tragic moment so maybe a change can really be made. Riders should not be afraid to speak up and voice their opinion for if we don't then others may still suffer. If the rider does not have a voice, then others need to be that voice. JER and foxglove6 have stated it very well.

Comment

Original Poster

I can't even imagine how terrifying that fall must have been for her. There is NO need for this fence on xc. We can test this in stadium. It's purely a frightener.

Comment

I haven't seen the fence but she says it was big (very wide). This fence could easily have killed Liz as well as Cooley. I just don't understand why the damn courses have to be so tricky. Eventing is exciting without having "sneaker" jumps.

I don't watch upper levels anymore, they seem more scary than exciting.

Comment

After reading Liz's heartbreaking post, I am furious that this fence was out there on that course.

So are the PTB now trying to obviously trick brave, well trained horses and excellent riding?? Because that's what this was.

The margin of error should NOT be this outcome!!

Anyone have pic of the fence? This is horrifying and maddening.
                    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong.
                    Frederick Douglass

Comment

I've just felt that courses are no longer designed with the horse's wellbeing first and foremost. Spectator-friendly, challenging riders; it seems that describing courses as horse-friendly is an afterthought, if it is mentioned at all.
                      Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

What is interesting is that I thought that wide unfilled oxers were banned after the 1988 Olympics when many horses, including at least one US horse, mis-read the oxer as a bounce.

Comment

i'd also want to see a picture.

ii was thinking about how much goes into course design last weekend. we went to a local venue that has some very inviting fences elementary-prelim. mostly logs, coops, cordwood, etc. nothing technical. it's a great venue for green horses.

except their water complex.

it's an oxagon shape, with one side being non-bank options and the other side being bank-up (or down) options.

every single horse (including a retired ** horse with YR) misread the training bank up out of the water. every single one of them, and they were all very athletic, hit the bank with their forelegs and wildly scrambled up. the water was not deep, it was barely more than 2 inches.

the bank had at ground level a pine log half submerged in water, with a recessed/hollow face (stone wall about 3-4 inches inside the pine log) with another pine log on top. i will say it, and i will say it again - horses do not read recessed or hollow questions well. it was not a fluke that the horses missed their mark with the bank; it was not even a high bank -- but the way it was designed made every horse there take off incorrectly.

it makes me wonder how much of it starts at home at local venues - so many different people are involved in making the jumps at local venues - it's not just UL people. it would really be a fantastic tool to see more studies done on how horses read these fences; i really think sloping and protruding fences are read best - especially if the base is widest with a slanted/slimmer top. there was, IIRC, an article not too long ago done by an author who's name is escaping me (morgan russel maybe?) that discussed a top course designer's findings with which jumps were most accurately read by horses.
                          AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

I'm so sad for Liz, and hope for a speedy recovery both physically and emotionally.

I'm also going to ask a question that may not be popular, and is not aimed at Liz in particular, but at what point is it up to the rider(s) to say to the organizers that something seems overly dangerous? Her comment was this:

"Where we fell was at a very wide, but not very tall, open rail oxer off a turn. When I walked the course I remember thinking it was one of the widest I had seen in an advanced competition and that it would demand respect and proper riding, and I was concerned that a horse could possibly misread it as a bounce."

Which is apparently exactly what happened. Should something like this be on the course without a ton of fill to make it clear that is not a bounce? Absolutely not. And the course designers should be held accountable. But in addition to holding course designers/builders responsible, part of it has to be up to the riders to stand up at the time and say "this seems dangerous, is there something that can be done to make it less so?" And if not, well, no one is out there holding a gun to their heads to make them go around.

I feel like none of the proposed safety/design improvements are going to get rapidly implemented unless riders start making a stand.

Comment

Original Poster

I've been looking but no luck finding a picture. This is the problem!! We can't even SEE what we are talking about. This information should be easy to find. Anyone in the Uk able to help?

Comment

Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
                                I'm so sad for Liz, and hope for a speedy recovery both physically and emotionally.

I'm also going to ask a question that may not be popular, and is not aimed at Liz in particular, but at what point is it up to the rider(s) to say to the organizers that something seems overly dangerous? Her comment was this:

"Where we fell was at a very wide, but not very tall, open rail oxer off a turn. When I walked the course I remember thinking it was one of the widest I had seen in an advanced competition and that it would demand respect and proper riding, and I was concerned that a horse could possibly misread it as a bounce."

Which is apparently exactly what happened. Should something like this be on the course without a ton of fill to make it clear that is not a bounce? Absolutely not. And the course designers should be held accountable. But in addition to holding course designers/builders responsible, part of it has to be up to the riders to stand up at the time and say "this seems dangerous, is there something that can be done to make it less so?" And if not, well, no one is out there holding a gun to their heads to make them go around.

I feel like none of the proposed safety/design improvements are going to get rapidly implemented unless riders start making a stand.
                                I would never blame any individual rider who didn't make a fuss about a particular fence, but I wonder if there could be a system where there were designated rider representatives, and concerns could be raised to them and perhaps discussed amongst the riders prior to cross-country day?

Comment

Did it say anywhere whether HHS Cooley's fall was rotational, or more of a lawn-dart type fall?

I don't know what the exact amount of force is that's required to activate a frangible pin. If the back rail was pinned, it sounds like too much force was required to activate the mechanism to be effective in preventing a catastrophic fall. I would think the back rail on an open oxer should be designed to give way pretty easily.

Comment

What a tragic senseless loss of a terrific horse. My heart breaks for all who loved him.

Comment

Some thoughts from a random hunter-jumper rider (myself). I've never competed in eventing - I just enjoy it as a spectator. I mention this because my thoughts below may be totally wrong, and an indication that I really don't understand the sport. If that's the case, just point it out, and I promise my feelings won't be hurt.

[how's that for a disclaimer]

Anyhoo, if I understand eventing correctly, the cross-country phase is meant to test boldness and endurance/stamina. And the cross-country phase, being the heart of the discipline, should also have a significant effect on the overall standings - ideally being as or more influential than the other two phases. Because it's not combined dressage/show-jumping, it's eventing.

I wonder if the source of some of eventing's struggles is an assumption that the effect of the cross-country phase on the overall standings should be reflected in the standings after the cross-country phase. And so if the standings remain unchanged from dressage after the cross-country phase, that phase was watered down. As a result, course designers struggle to design courses that will rearrange the standings on cross-country day, without getting any rider or horse seriously hurt or killed. And that's got to be a very hard thing to design for.

My thought is that a cross-country phase can play a substantial role in the final standings of a competition, but that role may not be obvious during that phase, but rather play out in the show jumping the next day. You may have nearly all horses complete the cross country without penalty, but those horses haven't passed the stamina/endurance test if they're too tired/sore to show jump well the next day. So, the overall effect of the cross-country may be seen on the third day, not the second.

You can have a very effective, fun, and even educational cross-country course that plays a key role in the final standings. But if the resulting shake-up in the standings occurs during the show-jumping, rather than at the conclusion of cross-country, people criticize that competition as striking the wrong balance between the phases. When actually it was the right balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkwave View Post
                                        Some thoughts from a random hunter-jumper rider (myself). I've never competed in eventing - I just enjoy it as a spectator. I mention this because my thoughts below may be totally wrong, and an indication that I really don't understand the sport. If that's the case, just point it out, and I promise my feelings won't be hurt.

[how's that for a disclaimer]

Anyhoo, if I understand eventing correctly, the cross-country phase is meant to test boldness and endurance/stamina. And the cross-country phase, being the heart of the discipline, should also have a significant effect on the overall standings - ideally being as or more influential than the other two phases. Because it's not combined dressage/show-jumping, it's eventing.

I wonder if the source of some of eventing's struggles is an assumption that the effect of the cross-country phase on the overall standings should be reflected in the standings after the cross-country phase. And so if the standings remain unchanged from dressage after the cross-country phase, that phase was watered down. As a result, course designers struggle to design courses that will rearrange the standings on cross-country day, without getting any rider or horse seriously hurt or killed. And that's got to be a very hard thing to design for.

My thought is that a cross-country phase can play a substantial role in the final standings of a competition, but that role may not be obvious during that phase, but rather play out in the show jumping the next day. You may have nearly all horses complete the cross country without penalty, but those horses haven't passed the stamina/endurance test if they're too tired/sore to show jump well the next day. So, the overall effect of the cross-country may be seen on the third day, not the second.

You can have a very effective, fun, and even educational cross-country course that plays a key role in the final standings. But if the resulting shake-up in the standings occurs during the show-jumping, rather than at the conclusion of cross-country, people criticize that competition as striking the wrong balance between the phases. When actually it was the right balance.
                                        All of this makes a ton of sense. You would think that if it's that clear to you, a non-eventer, it would be clear to the eventing powers that be. Unfortunately, the leaders of the sport are too stupid or compromised to see your point.

SJ used to be a test of how much horse you had after XC. Dig around on youtube for the Athens Olympics team SJ footage. The XC was not difficult but time was tight and some riders went too fast. They paid for it in SJ and you can tell by the way their horses jumped.

Historically, the purpose of the SJ phase in the written directives for eventing was to show that the rider had preserved enough of the horse to SJ correctly. The SJ was lower and less technical. The directives were changed a while back to make the SJ an independent test of the horse's ability in SJ, unrelated to the xc phase. The fence height was raised and the degree of difficultly increased exponentially. The type of horse needed to succeed in this phase changed.

This change in the purpose of the different phases is how the TPTB are moving towards a sport where SJ is first even at the Upper Levels. CIC's have already gone that way and this is likely the last Olympics that SJ will be last (thanks DOC, not).

All of the changes to the sport to the dressage and SJ phase are bad for the xc phase.
                                        Per the US Pony Club championship thread, the AEC's this year are not even going to have a xc phase. Just an eventing derby in a derby field over solid obstacles. Evidently they don't have a xc track. Seems super smart and safe to me but what do I know. That's where everyone who has any power wants the sport to go so that it can be more like the h/j business model and support a lot of professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by ncrider
                                          Per the US Pony Club championship thread, the AEC's this year are not even going to have a xc phase. Just an eventing derby in a derby field over solid obstacles. Evidently they don't have a xc track.
                                          Point of clarification, for AECs, excluding BN, the other levels will have some type of cross country "course" to run. My feeling is that there will be a few start and finish fences in the Derby field.

I found your thoughts and those of darkwave to be spot on. My own drum that I've beat on, accepting the lose of the long format, has been to extend the length of the course(s), reduce the more extreme technical questions and fences like the open oxer, and put the real question back not only to endurance on cross country, but is there enough for stadium. Why do they not have skinnies on stadium, Skinny bending lines, portable pools; there are so many ways to ask technical questions in stadium that do not need to be on cross country (or not as much).

If we don't want shows to end on Dressage, the answer is not to try and eliminate teams by brute force, but do so by numbers and rails.

Comment

Working...
                                          X