• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Annual Meeting Debrief

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Meeting Debrief

SOOOO, Who thought what was the best/worst part of the Big Meeting?
    All of the seminars I attended were interesting and worthwhile, I wish each one could have been longer....I had the feeling that discussions would just get going when it would be time to clear the room for the next meeting.
    Congratulations to all the honor winners. I hope you long-distance travelers got home safely and found the meeting worth the trip. Many thanks to all of our friends in Area 1 who pulled off the biggest meeting in history, and thanks to all who came! Reports, please!
  • Original Poster

SOOOO, Who thought what was the best/worst part of the Big Meeting?
    All of the seminars I attended were interesting and worthwhile, I wish each one could have been longer....I had the feeling that discussions would just get going when it would be time to clear the room for the next meeting.
    Congratulations to all the honor winners. I hope you long-distance travelers got home safely and found the meeting worth the trip. Many thanks to all of our friends in Area 1 who pulled off the biggest meeting in history, and thanks to all who came! Reports, please!

Comment

I had a Wonderful time at the National Meeting!! getting to see Everyone was Great!! People talked all weekend!! Even in the lines for the Ladies Room!!

Folks from all over the Country!! Had dinner with people from Washington State and California!!

Sometimes, the meetings I wanted to attend were planned at the same time as another meeting I wanted to attend!

The GP and I divided and Conquered!!

Instead of a Thursday, how about starting on a Wednesday??

Munchies every morning would be nice too! But more expensive!

Big writing pads for everyone would be nice, although we brought our own.

Congrats to Area I for a Great Job!!

BarbaraG
      GWV/ home at last

Comment

We just got home a few hours ago and fortunately got out of Boston this a.m. before the snow. Still, the security group at Logan was way behind and we almost missed our flight. Otherwise it was smooth sailing, though it was snowing in Cincinnati.

The meeting was great. After participating two years, I would like to recommend the "cluster track" type of format wherein the conference topics are arranged by appeal groups (adult amateur, USET riders, organizers, etc.) and possibly presented in a color-coded format. A person could still go to any meeting, but it might provide some continuity and avoid duplicate scheduling (such as GWV alluded to).

It was fantastic to be in Boston and we did get a few moments to shop and take it the holiday season in the neat Back Bay area.

I always love meeting new folks and seeing familiar faces and of course I've now met way too many to attempt to name but suffice it to say I had a fantastic time meeting PGM and hanging out with him on Thursday night. Pol was great as was, as always Mary in Area 1 and her lovely family. Great New Englanders!

Good job USEA! Love to everyone I saw at the meeting. Flutie, email me sister. Wish I could've spent more time with you too!

Also, must say I was stoked to meet Hilary in person as we've been email buddies for years and years (I sent her a wedding gift years ago and just met her for the first time this weekend!).

Working with Dale in Area 1 was great too. It's always fun to collaborate.

And guess what else? On our flight from Boston to Cinci the flight attendant noticed our USEA bag and had all sorts of questions. Turns out she rides and her daughters Pony Club but she didn't know much about the USEA. So I gave her the pitch and the website and we had a lengthy chat about riding, etc. Maybe they'll cross over and become members.

Heather, luvyameanit!

Kristin, you're the best!

Beth Lendrum and oskaar - if you got anymore fabulous I'd implode!

Janet, your ability to see the big picture by dissecting the details amazes and inspires me! May you always have that talent. Your horses must really be amazing!

Can't wait for next year! San Francisco will be a great venue.

Robby

So I'm a sistah, buy things with cash
        It doesn't mean that all my credit's bad

http://community.webshots.com/user/rbjohnsonii
        When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

I am just glad I finally got to go to one of the national meetings!

There were a lot of really interesting workshops, but unfortunately I missed a few because they were so early. I wasn't staying at the hotel which made it a little harder to get there in the morning, but that is just a selfish complaint.

I really liked the eventing retrospective slide show. I thought they did a great job of putting it together and Denny was hilarious.

The main thing that sticks out in my mind that could have been different was the Hall of Fame inductions. Wow, it took a loooong time! I enjoyed hearing stories from the past, but I think there should have been some time limit for the speakers. I was looking forward to the party after, but I think everyone had been in that room so long that they just left after the inductions.

I look forward to going again because it is loads of fun to see so many eventers out of the barn! It was like one, long competitors party without the show jumping the next morning (thank goodness!)

Comment

p.s. I loved meeting Bensmom and Mellsmom too! Mellsmom, I got your call for help and it was right on the cusp of assisting John with his raffle. I'm so sorry I failed you on hair/makeup but I don't think you needed any help!

Robby

Comment

Didn't anyone take pictures of people in their fancy duds on Saturday night??? Inquiring minds want to know....
              \"So? We\'re Red Sox fans, psychosis is expected.\"

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey, does anybody know who was in charge of the raffle? Rumor has it that I won 2 prizes!! I would love to gather them up. I have never won a raffle in my life!

Comment

This was the first meeting I've been to and I had a wonderful time. Low point was trying to find something to at least alleviate my cold symptoms without making me dizzy - (so if I appeared to be wandering in a daze at any point I was overdosed on sudafed).

There were too many hight points - meeting Robby (FINALLY!), talking with Karen O'Connor in the aquarium (I admit to being rather star-struck much of the time, but she was the only one I actually had a conversation with) and I love the retrospective - I remember that ENORMOUS Slide/drop thing at Vershire! I can't believe we jumped all that stuff back then. People today would have heart attacks.

Had I known that 1987 was considered old, I had photos of Doornhof and Merry Meadow events - but I'm not as exciting to see as the big guys!

I am going to have to rag on my coach about her horse's flying long mane in one of those old photos. Styles have changed!

I did think the Hall of Fame was long (some people are better speakers than others.. . ) so I was too tired to dance, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I had lunch with Bensmom and Mellsmom - it was really nice to meet them (and yes, we talked about feet!)

I saw BarbaraG & her Warren, too. Too many people to talk to and not enough time.

I hope you all got home safely - it's still snowing here and we've got not quite a foot of snow.

Comment

RJ-

I will forgive you, BUT I had so wanted to complete my Hoochie Momma look Saturday night. I did actually see you from far away assisting with prizes so I knew that you didn't blow me off!!! In fact I am sure that if Bensmom and I hadn't made that wild dash out to the Dover store in Wellesly, I'd have had time. And yes, we managed to set an all time record for speed shopping. In fact, I may just do that from now on... although for Bensmom, she can still do a lot of damage in 42 minutes.
                    We did not get pictures of us dressed up despite Bensmom's camera.
                    I will sadly admit that the fashion police were firmly planted at our table. We were in the back and could see everyone on the way to and from the bar. I will pass on one gem they managed to share "the difference between Hoochie Mamma and Rental is a bra".
                    YOu may all rest at ease that there is still a whole lot of partying going on in the eventing ranks. Sadly I had to leave at 11:30 before the end of the hall of fame inductions to pack for my 6:30 am departure and I missed the dancing...did anyone remain upright that long?

"I've got a holiday, a paid holiday, I've got a holiday in my head"

Don't like my riding? Call 1-800- phh- fftt
                    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm so sad that I couldn't attend any of the parties. How was the Aquarium bash? I've heard that the Hall of Fame Gala lived up to it's name.

I only managed to attend on Friday and Sunday, but I was impressed by the conviviality of the crowd, the breadth of presentations and the quality of the information being shared. I think that all of the sessions I went to were SRO with the exception of Sport Horse Breeding (which had a larger room that most but was disadvantaged by the bad weather moving in) and the session on The Big Picture which was in a HUGE room, and turned out to be a bit more about the media and sponsorship than the name might have implied. Two quick points out of that one: Why DO so many people watch dog shows on TV, and so few watch horse events? And we need to develop a program to prepare riders for interviews and presentations. It ain't easy to get up there, hold an audience and seem natural, and although we have some folks who are very good at it, we would benefit by having even more comfortable with those situations. This is not a knock on anyone!!! Everyone who stood up and shared their knowledge and reminisces (sp?) gets a hearty round of applause and my appreciation.

And three huge cheers for Weezo for putting the whole thing together .
                      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Hard work and fun to be had by all!!! Pol, call the USEA office--they have all the raffle stuff. I am SO disappointed that I didn't get the saddle. But, yay to whomever did. A few of my highlights, including the things I learned:

1) Shopping on Newbury with Robby rocks (well, he rocks in general). I had a ton of funny quotes to share, but they were erased by a bottle of Maker's Mark. He bought a delicious pair of Cole Haan's, and I'm very jealous.

2) Jack LeGoff telling me that I am both talented AND amazing. Of course, he was referring to my excellent klepto skills and my ability to steal Christmas decorations out of the lobby, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

3) There should be time limits on speeches made at Hall of Fame Galas. All in all a very nice ceremony (yes, I cried a few times), despite running a hair long). I was especially touched by the tribute to Bally Cor (what an incredible mare who was truly courageous), and by listening to the stories of the great comraderie shared between Denny, Jimmy, the 3 Mikes (Huber, Page, Plumb), and Tad Coffin under the guidance of LeGoff.

4) Denny has a fabulous Irish brogue.

5) It IS possible to laugh so hard that you can't breathe and you think you are going to have a hernia (can women even get those?).

6) Area I really knows how to throw a classy gig. What a great weekend. The only let down was that I was not able to fit my mattress from the Sheridan in my suitcase. It was so comfy!

7) Eventers know how to have a great time, and they really are the most fun people you can find!

Hurrah for Boston!

Now, he said he needs a Master CD to make copies. Is that like the brand? Aren't they all the same?-- my boss

[This message was edited by oskaar on Dec. 15, 2003 at 11:07 AM.]
                        "[I don't like the word] try. To me, it means you plan to fail." --Robby Johnson

"All you have to do to succeed is decide to succeed." Jimmy Wofford

Comment

oskaar, I miss you and your mommy already!!!!! You are both the best. Please tell Billy Boyd Boyd Boyd to call me when he comes back to the Rock.

I also feel like I should say to everyone, in a blanket statement, that if you encountered me and I seemed a little drunk it's probably because I was. I promise I'm not a regular lush.

I must also say that I positively love Jennifer Akers, who does so much for our organization, and loved seeing Miss Kyra King Stuart again as well.

Robby

Comment

I loved meeting everyone at the meeting I wish I was able to meet more folks, but I was in a daze also before the booze! Worked late the entire week, closed on the farm that friday, etc.

Mary and Pol -- I still owe you both a drink!

Robby -- Loved working with you on our presentation, we made a great team. I received a lot of feedback from participants that we were right on the mark --

Hillary, So great to see you again!! We need to keep in touch better! You hair was fabulous at the Gala!

Called in sick today at work, have to plow and shovel two driveways now! Dale

Comment

Dale,

Have some special coffee, say hello to The Shannon Diva, and stay warm!

Robby

Comment

I am having it as we speak

Will give your regards to Shannon, isn't she great!

Did you get my voice mail message on your cell phone? I would love to work with you again in the future on USEA projects, BUT, you lead and I follow, since you know the organization and how it operates.

Send me an e-mail, off to pack. I just needed a break and special coffee Dale

Comment

Just one more reminder that you never know who is reading your posts...the COTH BB was mentioned SEVERAL times in different sessions that I attended. Most notably in connection with the Mic Mar bit and the Event Ratings meeting.
                                  I attended the sessions on selecting and event horse. It was quite interesting. Very valid points about ameturs needing to be open mided about what they look at. Everyone seemed to agree that temperament and tractability were key in ammy horses. There was also a lovely comment by Buck Davidson that you should change your mind set when looking to buy. Think of it as an opportunity to sit on a wide variety of horses. :-) Something many ammys don't get to do. Also, all the panelists said that if you get off the hore and your gut doesn't tell you that you will enjoy looking at the horse and riding it every day, keep walking. You should wake up excited about the prospect of riding the horse.
                                  The bitting presentation was also good, but I wanted MORE!!!! I would love to see USEA spend some more of our money funding the research a bit longer. I would love to see them crunch some more numbers and see if there are correlations and statistical significance in some of the findings. Honestly, I think someone could make a career out of this work.
                                  The braiding and grooming demo was cool as well. I would love to see her again in a hands on situation where the participants could spend time actually practising the skills she shows.
                                  Thank goodness I have my notes. I wonder if we should post a notes area since there weren't handout at many of the meetings.

Comment

Just one more reminder that you never know who is reading your posts...the COTH BB was mentioned SEVERAL times in different sessions that I attended. Most notably in connection with the Mic Mar bit and the Event Ratings meeting.
                                    I attended the sessions on selecting and event horse. It was quite interesting. Very valid points about ameturs needing to be open mided about what they look at. Everyone seemed to agree that temperament and tractability were key in ammy horses. There was also a lovely comment by Buck Davidson that you should change your mind set when looking to buy. Think of it as an opportunity to sit on a wide variety of horses. :-) Something many ammys don't get to do. Also, all the panelists said that if you get off the hore and your gut doesn't tell you that you will enjoy looking at the horse and riding it every day, keep walking. You should wake up excited about the prospect of riding the horse.
                                    The bitting presentation was also good, but I wanted MORE!!!! I would love to see USEA spend some more of our money funding the research a bit longer. I would love to see them crunch some more numbers and see if there are correlations and statistical significance in some of the findings. Honestly, I think someone could make a career out of this work.
                                    The braiding and grooming demo was cool as well. I would love to see her again in a hands on situation where the participants could spend time actually practising the skills she shows.
                                    Thank goodness I have my notes. I wonder if we should post a notes area since there weren't handout at many of the meetings.

Comment

Sounds like you all had an awesome time - notwithstanding the inopportune bad weather!! I had so hoped to come this time, but family obligations prevented it.

I would love to know more about the seminars on The Big Picture and Eventing and US Media - those are two I really was keen to attend.

Emily

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult" - Seneca
                                      "It's not a perfect world....But it's still good to be alive! If you don't know by now, you'll probably never understand the way it feels to wanna live....One Perfect Moment!!"

Comment

OK, really stupid question here, when is it Area II's turn to host it?

There are only two types of eventers out there: Those who have fallen in the water jump and those that will. -- subk
                                        Founding Member, Bird Nerd Clique; Eventing Yahoo In Training; formerly known as BostonGold
                                        The plural of anecdote is not data.
                                        Eventing Yahoo In Training

Comment

Working...
                                        X