• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Seriously, when to just give up? *Just when you think things can't get any worse**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, when to just give up? *Just when you think things can't get any worse**

Well this month is my one year anniversary of returning to horse ownership. In this one year I have had two horses, the first one that I didn't clique with at all, who also hurt himself, and the second my dream horse, who now it looks like may just have a career ending (at age 4) lameness. It's a long story, but in a nutshell my wonderful Vegas is almost crippled behind, and neither the chiropractor (who believes he has early onset arthritis in his spine) nor my vet (who is reserving judgement until we xray, but doesn't think a 4 yo flexing off 3/5 behind is a good sign) think this horse can physically be an eventer.

This week has been a literal hell, it has been coming on for the last 2 months and I have tried everything. He is currently on a high dose of dex to get rid of his skin infection, which should also decrease any inflamation, and I have the chiro coming out tonight for another adjustment, so I am trying to make him comfortable for the short term. I'm really just sick about the whole thing, and don't know wht to think or do. I guess I am looking for some advice on what is best for the horse, and what those of you who cannot afford more than one horse would do in my situation. I now have mounting vet bills that will cut into any savings I have, a horse that may or may not ever be sound without expensive treatments (we talked about various treatments depending on what the primary issue is) may never be sound enough to be a sport horse at all even given the treatments, and who cannot even be turnedout for a couple monthsand only if the skin issue is resolved.

My SO and I love this horse, and want what is best for him, but he keeps asking me what my options are. I don't even know. I just need some words of wisdom or support from someone who has maybe been there before I go crazy
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog
  • Original Poster

Well this month is my one year anniversary of returning to horse ownership. In this one year I have had two horses, the first one that I didn't clique with at all, who also hurt himself, and the second my dream horse, who now it looks like may just have a career ending (at age 4) lameness. It's a long story, but in a nutshell my wonderful Vegas is almost crippled behind, and neither the chiropractor (who believes he has early onset arthritis in his spine) nor my vet (who is reserving judgement until we xray, but doesn't think a 4 yo flexing off 3/5 behind is a good sign) think this horse can physically be an eventer.

This week has been a literal hell, it has been coming on for the last 2 months and I have tried everything. He is currently on a high dose of dex to get rid of his skin infection, which should also decrease any inflamation, and I have the chiro coming out tonight for another adjustment, so I am trying to make him comfortable for the short term. I'm really just sick about the whole thing, and don't know wht to think or do. I guess I am looking for some advice on what is best for the horse, and what those of you who cannot afford more than one horse would do in my situation. I now have mounting vet bills that will cut into any savings I have, a horse that may or may not ever be sound without expensive treatments (we talked about various treatments depending on what the primary issue is) may never be sound enough to be a sport horse at all even given the treatments, and who cannot even be turnedout for a couple monthsand only if the skin issue is resolved.

My SO and I love this horse, and want what is best for him, but he keeps asking me what my options are. I don't even know. I just need some words of wisdom or support from someone who has maybe been there before I go crazy

Comment

Sorry. Been there.

Have you given any thought to switching your goals to match something this horse will be able to do?
      Or does it have to be Eventing??

Maybe you can keep and enjoy him as a 3' Hunter or even a Dressage horse. You know the old saying about God opening a window when he closes a door-or slams one in your face?
      Well?? Give it some thought...maybe it's meant to be.

Even if you realy don't want to persue another discipline, you can train him up in one and get him safe. Biggest market is for the confimed packer and, with a price break, folks will line up for a good one despite maintainance issues.
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

A lot depends on a getting a diagnosis of what is actually wrong. At that point you can make some kind of educated guess as to how comfortable the horse can be, with what kind of treatment, costing how much money, etc.

I wouldn't automatically assume that the scenario envisioned by the Chiro (spinal arthritis) is correct. I'd get a complete diagnostic work-up, probably by taking the horse to a respected clinic and to a vet who has a reputation of dealing well with lameness issues. This will cost you more money upfront, but you're more likely to get useful diagnostic information.

In my experience, for whatever it's worth, you may buy a horse thinking that you'll learn one set of skills, but the horse will teach you what the horse needs you to learn. I learned a lot less about eventing than I'd hoped to from my mare; but I learned a lot more about healthcare issues and horsemanship generally.

Good luck.
        "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

I wouldn't get too down until you've properly diagnosed him. Arthritis of the spine sounds a little flaky, even for California.

Take him somewhere and have him properly worked up, then know what you're dealing with. As he is only 4, you might just need to give him some time off.

Did he race long and hard?

Robby
          When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

My sincere condolences go out to you! Poor guy; poor owner! If it's turning into a situation where you can't afford to give him the treatment he needs to stay healthy it's best to throw in the towel, try to find a good home for him, and move on. If it's turning into a situation in which you could keep him but all your funds would go to just (and the emphasis is on just) keep him healthy, then again it's time to move on. While you will be depressed for a long time over this, do realize that the world does go on and perhaps your real dream horse is just waiting for you around the corner.
            NOTE: If this poor fella is starting to have real quality of life issues then you know what would be truly best for him and should do it (talk with your vet and perhaps get a second opinion). I know it's very hard and sad, but any animal's welfare needs to be taken into consideration before our love to keep them.
            Good luck, may everything work out in the end, and prayers.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's for the support. I would like to address the other career option. Right now he is really sore from the sacrum area of his back (he drops about an inch or more when it is palpated) and is very off behind. He is also spending time in his stall leaning against walls and constantly resting his hind legs in weird positions. The vet gave me a few options: 1 in a million chance it's all stemming from the vasculitis, or more likely issues with joint lubrication (meaning possibly getting him sound with legend, etc) or arthritic changes (joint injections to probably get him sound in the short term). Because of where his pain and issues are, if it is the later two he doesn't really recommend dressage or jumping since this is starting at 4.

He didn't race at all, I know absolutely nothing of his history before I bought him in July. He was totally green at that point, so who knows

I do plan to do as much as I can for him, but at the same time I don't believe in pushing a horse this age to do anything he physically shouldn't do.

I try to think positive, like maybe I was meant to take care of him or whatever, it just wasn't supposed to be like this after all these years without a horse.

Comment

Interesting......

I don't want to scare you but I know of one that was leaning in the stall and sore as you describe. Early diagnostics were inconclusive. It got worse and the horse went in for a full work up...Broken Pelvis. It took a full clinical work up to find this so please get one started.
                Something is certainly wrong beyond "arthritic changes". Finding out what will help guide your decisions.
                But, again, that leaning on the stall wall is not a symptom of simple joint issues and needs to be diagnosed.

BTW the horse with the fractured pelvis is expected to return to work at some level last I heard.

Comment

Has he been checked for a broken hip? Or tears in the deep muscles running along the back?

Comment

My dear, a whole lot of us have been there, in one shape or form, before. It is heartbreaking and exhausting to think about this, but I want to REALLY strongly agree with other posters on your next step:

Get this horse completely worked up so you know exactly what is wrong, and what the treatment and outcome options are. Trust me, this will be easier and cheaper in the long run then doing a little bit of diagnosis, a little bit of treatment, then trying something else if it doesn't work.

Go to the nearest REPUTABLE hospital or specialty lameness clinic. Make sure they have sufficient tools to get this diagnosed in one visit -- digital xray, ultrasound, bone scan, scintigraphy. You don't want to have to do this piecemeal. Be prepared to have him stay over night if need be -- discuss this when you make the appointment.

Not only will a specialty clinic or hospital have all the diagnostic equipment you need, but the vets should have a considerable amount of experience in looking at the images and telling you what this means for treatment and outcome.

I am not saying you have to USE all that equipment, but if, for example, xrays don't tell you anything, you don't want to have to come back another week or go somewhere else for the next tool in the box.

The only thing worse than where you are now is to spend 6 months with repeated vet visits, treatments (or stall rest, or handwalking, or whatever), think maybe you are fixed, and then starting all over. Repeat for 2 years. I've been there, done that. In my case the tool we really needed wasn't available for much of that time (MRI), so I don't feel completely as though I wasted options, but doing this for 2 years utterly wore me down emotionally.

Please, please, get a definitive answer. THEN you can think about next steps.
                    The sooner you can get this done, the sooner you can move from this agonizing state to a place where you have some clear paths in front of you and you can process what you know.
                    We are all here to help! So many of us have had to travel this road...
                    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

This means more money, but I would recommend a full body radioactive scan (can't tell you how to spell it but they do them down here at University of Florida). I have had two horses in the past that looked like they might be done for that ended up going on in eventing for years and years after they were properly diagnosed. One my local vet had suggested might need to be put down. That was 8 years ago. He is still competing today. He had a bone chip so high in the stifle area that the local vet could not get a picture with his x-ray. The other guys had severly pulled his back and just needed to be turned out for a month and then back into carefully progressive work. Because it was misdiagnosed he was on stall rest which turned out to be the worst thing for it. That was showing up as a lameness in one hind leg.

Good luck !!!

Comment

Don't get too discouraged here.

Getting a clinical work up will end all of your questioning and many of these things CAN be treated.
                        In the meantime it will help with the terrible pain this horse is obviously suffering if he's leaning on the wall.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have to say it being something really major like that didn't occur to me, what with the comments made by the chiro and vet. If the vet had told me to get him on a truck yesterday I would have. I am within a couple hours of UC Davis and Pioneer Equine Hospital, but I keep hearing warnings about both... I actually called Pioneer last week and spoke with a doctor about the spinal arthritis thing, his response was that he really respected Dr Gleason as a chiro, but typically back pain comes from the hocks, that was my own vet's comment. But all the weird things that have been happening since he came home have lately started flooding into my mind. The BO worried about his leaning on the walls, his weird bucking fits, and yesterday I saw him roll for the first time, and it looked like he struggled a bit to get up, really rocking himself onto his front legs. It just broke my heart.

If anyone has any recommendations or input on the various large clinics around here in NorCal let me know. Thanks.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with the others about the work-up. You really need to get him to a clinic for that.

In the meanwhile, I am wondering about the chiro? I know that a lot of folks do this for themselves and their horses...but I have heard of chiros causing injuries and exacerbating existing injuries. Since you don't yet know what you're dealing with you might want to stay away from that until you do.

Just a thought.

Comment

PP, has he had any kind of discoordination of the hind limbs (apart from the bucking)? Some of what you describe sounds like it could be potentially neuro-related and not necessarily just hock issues. I didn't think of it when I talked to you the other day, but after hearing about the resting on the stall and standing funny, it definitely pops into my mind. Ditto what everyone else said on getting a full work-up.

I've heard nothing but great things about Pioneer, and would probably head there first. I've heard less great thing about Davis. You could also try Dr. Russ Peterson at Peninsula Equine- they deal with the top jumpers/hunters/dressage horses in the area and have just about every diagnostic test except for nuclear scintigraphy (i.e. bone scan) which is the only reason they wouldn't be my first choice. www.peneq.com

Comment

Another clinic alternative might be Alamo Pintado ( http://www.alamopintado.com/index_home.html ).

I may not be as close as Davis or Pioneer but they also have a very good reputation.
                                You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something… S. Jobs

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite:
                                  Another clinic alternative might be Alamo Pintado ( http://www.alamopintado.com/index_home.html ).

I may not be as close as Davis or Pioneer but they also have a very good reputation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alamo has an EXCELLENT rep, and I (and my friends) have sent several horses there for treatment/diagnosis ranging from the simple to the obscure. They are great. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Rick. He's a great vet and is also very patient and easy to talk with... Feel free to PT me if you want details.

Good luck.
                                  Seb
                                  Aca-Believe it!!

Comment

I agree with the poster who was thinking neuro issues--I had a horse (who I had to put down last year; my 10 year-old partner and competition horse who I had had since he was a weanling ), and he wound up having demyelination of and lesions on his spinal cord (no known cause, from the necropsy) which caused all sorts of neuro issues which only affected him only from the lumbar region back--he would lean (support himself on stall walls, and other horses), and walk crookedly, and eventually he started spinning uncontrollably in a circle--he was strong and supple, having been a competitive event horse literally right before he was stricken, so never went down until the very end, but I think it was just his strength of will. He was worked up twice at Morven Park (for EPM--spinal tap--and athritis of the neck--both negative findings), and he was tested (and treated, prophylactically) for everything else
                                    (infectious, viral, etc.) It was a gruesom ordeal, and I know just what you're going through--I truly feel for you! I think if you get him thoroughly checked out and at least have some sort of diagnosis, it will both give you peace of mind, and also make your options more clear to you...Have everything checked out, and please post again with the results...Good luck, and my heart goes out to you!
                                    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

• Original Poster

Regarding the chiro, I was/am worried as well. I've never been a chiro fan, but I gave it a try. He has been adjusted twice in the last 6 weeks and both times he was as close to 100% sound as he has ever been right after the adjustments - this is the only reason I have decided to give it another go. I am trying to make him as comfortable as possible, and wanted to see what this chiroprator thinks is going on in her mind.

I have thought of neuro issues too, and asked the vet about it. He does not have any weird syptoms other than the hind end lameness, the BO mentioned the leaning. The vet did the typical tests on him and he doesn't exibit any of the tell-tale neuro signs. We will also get a better idea if it's inflamation, as the dex should start kicking in and he should start to appear more sound.

Today I palpated his back again and noticed that he has severe spasms along the sacrum area of his spine if you press on any part of the top of his hindquarters, all the way down past his hip bone.

I have a recheck with my vet next Tuesday and I now have many more things to talk to him about thanks. I am sure my vet will be thrilled I will call Pioneer and find out just what they can see with the different tests.

btw, does anyone have any suggestions of how to start dealing with my insurance company??

Comment

I would wager that UC-Davis will be a better option than your chiro or local vet. Get this horse to a full diagnostic center ASAP!
                                        When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

Working...
                                        X