• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rough times, are they necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough times, are they necessary?

It seems like every horse i have gotten has always given me trouble in some sort of way. Like my first horse who i had to pretty much learn how to ride/train a green horse which wasn't smart sense i didn't know what i was doing. My second horse was basically a run away pony that couldn't be stopped. And now my current horse is have a lot of trouble with his back and i was planing to go BN with him this spring but it looks like i cant.

Is this just a rough patch in the road every great rider has to go through?
    ...Or is it just my natural bad luck?
    Why walk when you can ride?

I feel for you. It's just a rough patch. Really, when it's about horses, it's about rough patches--it's never just one!.

I don't know anyone who hasn't had a series of problems, whether they are due to health, injury, or riding--for both horse and rider. It can be very frustrating, but just work through it and try to keep a positive attitude--oh, and every once in awhile, curse the gods and throw back a good strong drink!

Comment

No, they are not necessary. Although I think very few people who are in the horse biz escape completely unscathed, I would take a constant stream of hardships as a sign that something is amiss. For instance the first two horses could probably have been avoided had you been working with a good trainer who could have advised you on your purchase decisions. So there are ways you can stack the deck in your favor--working with a good trainer, having an appropriate prepurchase exam done on prospective horses, being realistic about what type of horse you need to buy (which again the trainer can help you with), being realistic about your goals, finances, time, etc.

Jennifer
      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

i agree with jennifer, you have to have the right people/team behind you to help you make the right choices. but with horses there will always be ups and downs, you just have to know how to try and keep the cards decked in your favor. good trainer, farrier, and a great vet helps good luck.
        www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys! Im going to really keep this in mind!!

Comment

Originally posted by eventr4life View Post
            Is this just a rough patch in the road every great rider has to go through?

"I" would not know...not being a "great" rider.

Comment

beeing a shity rider, suck all the way, but having rough times with a horse, is standard.

Most realy great hosrses suck at one point, working them through it makes them great horses
              That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
              Caveman extraordinair

Comment

eventr4life I feel your pain. My daughter went through some of the same things you are going through. When money is an issue, you live in cowboy country and you're the only one with an english saddle, good trainers are a couple hours away, you have a trailer but have to borrow dad's work truck to go anywhere things can be tough. I give my girl credit for working through those "teachers", and she had a couple doozies. Even the well trained HUS horse we were finally able to get for her had to be taught to jump and do dressage before she could do eventing with him. We did that ourselves and they did great! I agree that having a good trainer is a God send but, still, make lemonade .... At college in NC she rode successfully on the dressage team and was used to show some of the hunter riders how to really ride a jumper. Good luck!

Comment

In any horse sport (and it seems like especially in eventing) there are always ups and downs. The thing is that you're not only dealing with human beings but with another species as well. And they have their own opinions about what they want to be doing, their own health problems. I've gone through the rough patches too(I sincerely hope that my new horse will put the end to them!). With my first leased horse who introduced me to eventing, I've been able to do only 1 rec. BN due to unlucky weather that year. Then, my first horse decided that she did not want to jump, and we just did not click at all. With my second(leased) horse I did another BN event, after which she had almost 6 month of various health issues. Now, finally, my third horse, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will finally take me to events a bit more consistantly. But, here I am, almost 3 years later with only 2 events to my name (working with the wonderful trainer). So, yes, I can totally relate. Sometimes there are rough times. Keep your nose up and just keep going. What other choice do we have? I believe that luck comes to those who persevere. I bet most people who had horses for long period of time had to deal with horses who were difficult, did not suite them or the purpose and/or had health problems. It just comes in different times of their riding careers.

Jingles for your horse! hope your rough patch will end soon!

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdCharm View Post
                    No, they are not necessary. Although I think very few people who are in the horse biz escape completely unscathed, I would take a constant stream of hardships as a sign that something is amiss. For instance the first two horses could probably have been avoided had you been working with a good trainer who could have advised you on your purchase decisions. So there are ways you can stack the deck in your favor--working with a good trainer, having an appropriate prepurchase exam done on prospective horses, being realistic about what type of horse you need to buy (which again the trainer can help you with), being realistic about your goals, finances, time, etc.

Jennifer

Totally agree.
                    http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdCharm View Post

Jennifer

I have to second or third this
                      RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

I really don't believe in luck. Sure, there are unfortunate coincidences and bad breaks which suck all the same. But I think people make their own luck.

Comment

You might want to read "Ride the Right Horse" by Yvonne Barteau. Understanding a horse's personality may help you get to the heart of the matter.

Nancy
                          www.canterusa.org

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you all for your reply! You really have to think common sense "why have a trouble horse when you can have a great schooled one" my current horse right now(leasing) i thought was well schooled but turned out he didnt know as much as we thought.
                            NMK: thank you! i will definitly look into that book!!

ThirdCharm: you definitly put everything into perspective for me!!

Comment

Who is it that has the quote "no hour in the saddle is ever wasted" as part of their signature line? We learn, and our horses learn, every time we ride them. As long as one is not going backwards WRT training (or, put it another way, undoing good schooling) then even the things learned during difficult times and with difficult horses are part of the quiver of arrows a good horseman needs.

If you set artificial goals such as "I want to be doing XXX level by this time next year" or "I want to take my green QH to Rolex in 2010" then you are bound to be disappointed. If, however, you make goals that are based on a logical progression of training, then the goals are being met as you go along and arriving at the destination (BN, a CCI*, Rolex, whatever) are just icing on the cake.

It's kind of like saying "I want to be a brain surgeon, but I hate school". It's not going to work. You have to learn to love school.
                              Click here before you buy.

Comment

ThirdCharm, that is such good advice. I especially like your line about stacking the decks in your favor; it's so true.

I've found that even though I've stacked the decks in my favor, things do happen with horses that are often beyond our control. And finding that, I've learned to take a deep breath, deal with the issues at hand, and be willing to move forward and seek out good advice, whether it's from your vet, farrier, instructor, or fellow horsemen. It's always an adventure!

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20, and we all have things that in retrospect, could have been avoided.

I'm sure everyone on this board has kicked themselves a few times in a why did I buy this horse/move up a level at this event/attempt this fence/attend this clinic/whatever sort of moment.

The best we can do is analyze these mistakes and learn from them so we don't repeat them. Some of them do get easier to spot ahead of time.

There is also a lot of bad luck in the world (horse pasture injuries, rained out events, broken down trucks) that is truly just luck.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                    Who is it that has the quote "no hour in the saddle is ever wasted" as part of their signature line?
                                    I think that would be me? And, I find it interesting and comforting every time I discover another facet to this statement. THANKS!
                                    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
                                    -- Winston Churchill

Comment

that's just horses.... very sorry to hear it. my current prelim horse couldn't be competed for the first 9 months after i bought him because he was a nutter so needless to say, i think everyone on this forum could probably throw out an example of "rough times" per say.... just kick on and don't give up!!!!
                                      I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay. -Dave Matthews Band

Comment

I'm with Beam Me Up, georgiaeventer, etc. who said that, despite all you can try to do to stack the deck in your favor, things can and do go wrong with horses. Examples: my once-in-a-lifetime horse getting kicked in the pasture, resulting in a fractured leg, never the same again. After a lifetime of being with horses, riding, and now over 10 years of having a stable full of them, I NEVER thought I'd have a founder -- I was obsessive about avoiding any possible triggers. Guess what? This spring, my young mare foundered.

It does become difficult when horses become unrideable due to injury or unsoundness or whatever. If your resources are limited, but you hate to let any animal that's been a part of your family go, you can end up with a barn full of beloved companions who can't do competitions, and none that can because you can't afford another horse. So, you decide to modify your goals or do what you can do to enjoy them, one day at a time.

Those are just my examples, less about training difficulties than illness and injury issues, but still I stand behind what georgiaeventer said, "that's just horses."
                                        If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

Working...
                                        X