• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 2/8/18)
See more
See less

My first long format 3 day! help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first long format 3 day! help!!

In October i will be doing my first t3d i would appreciate any advise please and thank you! I would like things like a check list, extra grooming tips( my horse is a cherry bay with a star), jog outfit suggestions ( i would like some teal or aqua because my colors are teal black and silver and i am a 19year old) Advice for the 10 minute box would be amazing any i know how to get my horse fit, but i know i need to do aditional fitness for myself, on top of working 3-7 horses a day (depending on the day, i do ride horses for other people thats why the variation) and barn chores what aditional fitness do i need, running? if so how long should i be able to run?
    Thank you everyone!!

Good for you, Dragonfly! I got to do one T3D and it was a BLAST. Tons of fun and a tremendous learning experience.

Others will have much better and more tips for you, but I found that fitness wasn't hard to achieve (and I was nearly 60 at the time). What I did was in addition to my daily brisk 2 mile walk I did all my horse's trot sets in the two point: as we approached the date, I worked up to 45 minutes of trotting. It strengthened my core, improved my balance and leg position and made it easy for me to do roads and tracks in the two point at the competition, saving my horse. Also, as I recall, I "front end loaded" roads and tracks so that we walked the last third of C and arrived at the 10 minute box pretty cool, collected and on time.

Where is the T3D? If you have any concerns about the footing, SoreNoMore hoof packing is great for the night after XC, and I used SoreNoMore Gelotion on my mare's back "just to be sure".

I look forward to reading every else's suggestions and hearing about your progress.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

(1) Breathe!

(2) Say hi, I'll be there as per usual, probably doing 10 things at once.

(3) A big part of the T3DE (I'm assuming you're talking about Waredaca) is education. Our awesome vet, Dr. Julie, will tell you everything you need to know about what to expect in the 10-min box when you get there, there's always several talks on what to have there (people get really worked up about it, I'm not sure why, maybe b/c it's a mystery to young folks, or maybe I've just heard the talks 6 times now, LOL).

(4) We're eventers! People help each other!

I'd encourage you to go to Waredaca's website for information as well as consult Wofford's bible (Training The 3Day Event Horse & Rider), which hopefully you have (if not you can win one!) for conditioning schedules.

Also, you can do a search here, there are great threads about both prepping and thoughts afterwards on COTH, as well as in blog-world (if you google BeastEventer, she rode at Waredaca last year and did a great job with her mare, we awarded her a special horsemanship award, so her blog is a great resource!).

And don't forget to breathe -- you'll have the time of your life. Oh, PLEASE don't wear stripper heels for the jog. ;P And for some reason, Waredaca is almost ALWAYS cold/rainy/windy during the 3DE; I think it was sunny last year and we didn't know what to do with ourselves!!!!
      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

It was sunny last year at Waredaca but it was COLD. Frost on the grass at the jogout before showjumping. I don't think fitness for the riding phases is a huge issue if you are used to riding/ competing regularly, but they are long days especially if you do the extra educational activities. I was by myself except on XC day so I ended up skipping some of them just because I needed the time to clean tack/ muck/ braid etc.

For the box-- you really need at least one groom/ ground person. You will come trotting in from roads and tracks, the vet will watch your horse come in to make sure it's sound, then you will hop off, and you and groom(s) will loosen girth, run up stirrups, put halter on, sponge a bit, put cooler on, etc. while vet takes temp/ pulse/ resp. Then assuming everything is good and all shoes are on, horse gets walked, you chill for a bit, when you have been there for about 7-8 minutes, vet rechecks tpr, groom jogs horse to check soundness, reset tack and you head off to xc startbox. It seems really frantic, but when it's actually happening it goes surprisingly smoothly. You need to have pre-setup in the box: washbuckets/ sponges/ scrapers, studkit with spare tapped, studded shoes (mark them L/R/front/hind) halter, leadrope, chainkshank, irish knit/ mesh type cooler, maybe a fleece or wool cooler, spare bridle/ halter/ crop/ watch/ boots anything you think is likely to break. (I didn't really worry too much about a spare girth, stirrup leathers etc. although I know some people do bring them). Label everything, especially buckets!

Everyone is really nice, so don't hesitate to ask questions. They understand that you've never done it before.

Comment

This a great resource for 3DE's: http://www.longformatclub.com/education.html
          No Trouble
          2/2/05 - 7/29/13
          Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Comment

I have this on my bucket list as well, but for the N3D! There used to be a sticky posted for T3D conditioning but the page is no longer available. Does anyone know where it went? Lots of good info available on the links provided in the earlier posts!

Comment

I found this conditioning schedule on an old Coth thread and saved it off awhile ago. I can't remember who originally posted it to give proper credit. asterix maybe?

Week 1:

* Conditioning Hack: 10 min trot,
              2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Trotting: 3x5
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 470

Week 2:

* Conditioning Hack: 15 min trot,
              2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 470 (2 min)
              520 (1 min)
              470 (1 min)

Week 3:

2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 350
              5 min, 470

Week 4:

* Conditioning Hack: 20 min trot,
              2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 350
              5 min, 470 (2 min)
              520 (1 min)
              470 (2 min)

Week 5:
              2 hour hack

* Horse Trial!!

Week 6:

* Conditioning Hack: 25 min trot,
              2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              5 min, 470
              5 min, 470

Week 7:

* Conditioning Hack: 25 min trot,
              2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 350
              5 min, 470 (2 min)
              520 (2 min)
              470 (1 min)

Week 8:

2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 470 (1 min)
              520 (2 min)
              470 (1 min)

Week 9:

2 hour hack
              * Sets:
              Cantering:
              4 min, 350
              4 min, 470
              5 min, 470

Week 10:

* Hacking at walk.

* Three day.

Comment

Also, don't freak out if you don't have staff -- there are always extra folks in the vet box who will help you out if you need it. :-)
                Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Yep, that was me - good memory. I have it in speed send in my PM box since is many COTHers have asked for it.
                  That was adapted from Sally O'Connor's eventing handbook, from a schedule for a long format *. We just took all the numbers and adjusted them for the slower speeds and shorter distances of the T3d. I used it for my very very big WB and he was in cracking good shape when we did the T3d. Vets commented in how good his numbers were and he felt super on SJ day.
                  That year I also did a great prep clinic with Gillian Clissold, Janet's sister, where she walked you through all the components of endurance day and the vet boxes, as well as the Jogs.
                  We wrote up the notes from that in a Q&a format that I think is still online somewhere....http://www.waredaca.com/n-t-3day-faqs...they later added some logistical stuff, but if you start with the Horse Inspection section and read on it should give you a good overview....
                  Have fun!
                  If you prep in advance and have your vet box crew organized it really makes the day go much better!!!
                  The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Yup~ that was the schedule I was thinking of Thanks asterix!

Comment

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a long LONG prep schedule due to the fact my mare is a beast and I am not the fittest person on earth... But so long as you are not me and are more like everyone else I met at the event some slight modifications to normal conditioning should make you set to go!!!!

Try not to be too nervous! My friend and I were practically puking the entire trailer ride to the event we were so incredibly nervous, but we were IMMEDIATELY welcomed and it really does feel like a big community!!!

Biggest suggestion is to have at least one person in the vet box with you! I was able to hand off my big girl to a friend and take a swig of water before I jumped in to help recover her before Phase D and then after D it was all hands on deck to get her vitals down. Don't stress too much about this either tho, again, my girl was the abnormal one! Most people flew through both vet checks!!
                      BeastEventer

"When in doubt: look up, shoulders back, and LEG ON"

Comment

I did my first P3D last fall at KY. Here is what I would suggest to prep-
                        Rider- I did all my trot sets in 2 point. that was enough to get me fit for it. Remember- do your roads and tracks how you practice. ie- if you 2 point at home 2 point roads and tracks at the event. if you post at home, post at the event. I didnt do any "fitness work" other than riding. Roads and tracks provides a cool down for both you and the horse assuming 2 point does not tire you at all.

Horse-Started with 3 sets of 4 min trot sets. Eventually worked my way up to 8 min sets. I did limited canter/gallop and never more than 2 sets at 2 min and that is for prelim 3 day. He is a TB so fitness is not a huge issue. I also dont like pounding on his legs. You can get most the fitness you need via walk trot. A little short gallop can help wind if you have good footing/conditions

10 Min Box- must haves: cooler, water bucket/sponge, water for the person. I didnt end up sponging my horse at all in the box as he was not too hot and it was chilly, just put a cooler on and had my groom walk him. I hydrated. Left all tack on- just loosened girth. You will have someone assigned to you in the box that will tell you exactly what to do and walk you through everything. Once you get close to the 10 min you jog your horse and if everything is good you hop back on and head down to the box.

Comment

BeastEventer, I read your blog about Waredaca!!!! Great writing and I felt like I was along for the ride with you guys! I sure hope we qualify, stay sound, and can go! (and make the trip there uneventful!) Thanks for all the helpful hints! Keep them coming

Comment

Originally posted by xcatheart View Post
                            BeastEventer, I read your blog about Waredaca!!!! Great writing and I felt like I was along for the ride with you guys! I sure hope we qualify, stay sound, and can go! (and make the trip there uneventful!) Thanks for all the helpful hints! Keep them coming
                            I call it word vomit! But in all seriousness I get so happy when I hear riders are entering! Area I is having a hard time filling their event and I'm so worried it won't continue to run if riders do not express interest! The event was a massive stretch for my current mare, but I have my ear to the ground for my next partner in crime and I fully plan on making a 3day a regular part of my competition schedule!
                            BeastEventer

Comment

OH! I brought a second medical arm band to put all my endurance day info on! and strapped that horizontal to my forearm that way I could easily read my km and time for each of the phases without worrying it would get wet/lost
                              BeastEventer

Comment

Working...
                              X