• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Broken Collarbone: how to stay entertained while I heal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Collarbone: how to stay entertained while I heal?

Alright folks, I had the unfun experience of breaking my collarbone last saturday severely enough to require surgery with metal plates and pins. The docs said 4-6 months before I can ride again... and 6-8 weeks in a sling. I go to get my stitches out today...

But what on earth should i do to stay entertained while i can't ride or work?
    Do What You Can With What You Have Where You Are!

Originally posted by Stay Gold View Post
    Alright folks, I had the unfun experience of breaking my collarbone last saturday severely enough to require surgery with metal plates and pins. The docs said 4-6 months before I can ride again... and 6-8 weeks in a sling. I go to get my stitches out today...

But what on earth should i do to stay entertained while i can't ride or work?

I went to work 2 days after I broke mine.....of course I sit behind a desk most of the time Lots of reading, movies etc...time will go by quickly. I didn't have surgery on mine...broke it in two places but it healed well. I think I started back riding after about 4-6 weeks (not with the docs permission though). Just take your time and let yourself heal......this is a do as I say not as I do kinda thing! It is a very sucky injury....getting dressed in the am was PITA (and I needed help for a few weeks)....I also couldn't sleep laying down for what seemed like forever.

If it makes you feel better.....I have a friend going out on bed rest for 4 months (preg. related).....I think I would go nuts after a week!!! So at least you can get out and about quicker than her!
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I am so sorry!! I went through a similar situation a few months ago with a broken foot, and spent some time in a full cast. It's not fun.

Things to do . . . well, I knit, so many projects were completed and new ones started. I watched a lot of movies and spent a lot of time online. Reading is always good as well.

I have some great friends that would kidnap me and take me to horse shows as a spectator, or out for dinner/lunch.

With the holidays just around the corner, can you get around the kitchen? Might be hard in a sling though. Baking your Christmas gifts could be fun. I have always wanted to do that but just can't seem to carve out the time.

Do you scrapbook? If you are anything like me, you have drawers of pictures just stacked up. You could actually put them in scrapbooks or photo albums after putting them in chronological order.

Fortunately I was able to work. I just couldn't drive or do anything that didn't agree with crutches.

Good luck and hope you are on the mend sooner than anticipated!
      Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Comment

I was bored out of my mid during my recovery. Thankfully I was able to go back to mom and dad's. I couldn't dress myself or anything! Ugh.

I think its a great time to read books, educational or otherwise.

Also catching up on old shows or movies.

I think scrapbooking or loading your online photo albums can be fun to enjoy the trips down memory lane.

~Emily
        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas... and yes, I had to give up my awesome new job in NJ and was shipped back to the west coast to my folks' to mend... the whole family never wants me to sit on a horse again... i think they are nuts!

I think once the bone sets more and i can exercise a bit I'll be happier. It just sucks going from working with the horses 14 hours a day to sitting at home all day. urgh.

Life will also be easier when I can use both hands/arms... and shower... oh how i look forward to my first shower!

Comment

Originally posted by Stay Gold View Post
            I think once the bone sets more and i can exercise a bit I'll be happier. It just sucks going from working with the horses 14 hours a day to sitting at home all day. urgh.
            Once your incision is adequately healed, ask you doctor if you can swim. Obviously, he may not want you to use that arm (strap it to your body with vetrap), but you can prop up on a kickboard for some good, low impact exercise. As soon as my cast came off my leg, but before I was allowed to be weight bearing (symdesmosis screw had to be removed before I was allowed to bear weight), I was in the pool, albeit very carefully. I was sick of sitting around and craving some sort of physical activity, and swimming helped.

Comment

I broke mine last May and I watched training videos and caught up on all my reading. My husband (non horsey) hates that I am going to jump again. Mine healed great but it also took surgery since I broke the end off. Good luck and relax....
              My horse of a lifetime!!
              http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...m121808015.jpg

Comment

• Original Poster

there is a stationary bike here at the house, i think that might be my first exercise... it shouldn't make my shoulder bounce at all. i've been told i can't get the wound wet for quite some time after the stitches come out to prevent infection.

Comment

4-6 months? Really? Wow...that seems like a long time.

I'm sorry about your collarbone, I can sympathize with you having just gone through that 2 months ago. I just broke mine in September, fell smack on it and it broke in two places (one piece was set at a 90 degree angle to the other two holding them apart front to back). I broke it about Sept. 17th, had surgery with a titanium plate on October 2 or 3rd. I got the all clear to ride about 3 or 4 weeks ago (I had to have 6 weeks off after the surgery) and am allowed to start jumping on the 24th of this month.

Life will also be easier when I can use both hands/arms... and shower... oh how i look forward to my first shower!
                  Haha. How true. You never notice many things in life you do with 2 arms/hands.

I had my mom and sister-in-law ride my horse for me so I still got to go out every day and see him and brush him with one arm. I read up on my books and really sat down and thought about how to improve my riding when I got back on and used the time to just relax, sit, watch TV, and do my homework.

You'll make it through. Sending good healing vibes your way for a quick recovery.
                  God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Marney View Post
                    I broke mine last May and I watched training videos and caught up on all my reading. My husband (non horsey) hates that I am going to jump again. Mine healed great but it also took surgery since I broke the end off. Good luck and relax....
                    ouch! you broke th end off... that souns painful. mine broke in the middle, then the bones slid and were over lapping each other, the whole length of the bone.

i wish i had a cool story of how i broke mine... after training cci** horses all summer, grooming them at Fair Hill, etc... and how did I fall? i was schooling a rank lesson pony in an indoor arena at a trot... As i flew through the air i remember thinking, "i can't believe this little snot just bucked me off..."

I can ride just about any horse buck... but those ponies w/ itty bitty necks... man i got sling shotted to the ground :-p

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tuckertoo View Post
                      4-6 months? Really? Wow...that seems like a long time.

I'm sorry about your collarbone, I can sympathize with you having just gone through that 2 months ago. I just broke mine in September, fell smack on it and it broke in two places (one piece was set at a 90 degree angle to the other two holding them apart front to back). I broke it about Sept. 17th, had surgery with a titanium plate on October 2 or 3rd. I got the all clear to ride about 3 or 4 weeks ago (I had to have 6 weeks off after the surgery) and am allowed to start jumping on the 24th of this month.

Haha. How true. You never notice many things in life you do with 2 arms/hands.

I had my mom and sister-in-law ride my horse for me so I still got to go out every day and see him and brush him with one arm. I read up on my books and really sat down and thought about how to improve my riding when I got back on and used the time to just relax, sit, watch TV, and do my homework.

You'll make it through. Sending good healing vibes your way for a quick recovery.
                      thanks! ouchies, yours sounded really painful! i don't think i could have waited 2 weeks for my surgery, the 1 day wait was agony enough!

i've totally been removed from the horses...as the accident was at my job in NJ and now I am in CA... (hey, can't complain about having the warmer weather to heal)

Comment

Even though it sounds like your break was worse, I would happily trade how I broke mine.

I own a small piece of the Ky horse Park property through mine. The fence was part of the out of the head of the lake during the October event. Whats now team challenge, and the fence was an Intermediate question, two huge sections of tree trunk ontop of each other, no lean, straight vertical. But on the landing side was a natural ditch that the horse was supposed to clear with their jumping effort....but they couldn't see the ditch!! Ugh. Sufficive to say that the related distance between the jump up the bank out of the water then the 2 long or 3 strides to this was a lot for an Int. course billed as a "good move up course." In fact the distance had been used before in the 3* when the brich rail oxer over the ditch was there. Incidentally the horses could see the ditch then.

So my horse added for the 3, and then did a pop over the logs like a deer. Had there not been the ditch, we'd have probably been ok. But sadly it was there. Last thing I saw from in the tack was him doing a headstand and there were large shoots of grass sticking up between his ears!! Then I went off and he crushed me. Doctors think he was kicking his hind legs when he rolled over me because I did a similar fracture to yours. It broke in the middle, and both ends, but only the broken tip slid over the new broken ends. Of course that caused a "debris" field of bone chips.

To this day I am the only person I know to spend 2 days in the hospital for a broken collarbone!!!

So my way sucked, but I can say I own part of the horse park!!!

Also... I was cleared to ride after 9 weeks, but when I did I could feel the bone moving, so I benched myself for another 4 weeks.

~Emily
                        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Oh man! I'm so sorry! When I was sick with mono for 2 years, I had to find my own fun. Ashamed to say much of that time was spent on the computer or watching TV. I also took up some "old lady hobbies," namely beading and knitting. Tried my hand at drawing and watercolor as well. You probably can't knit with one hand, but maybe there's a craft you could try? Decoupage or scrapbooking probably doesn't need two arms. Who knows, maybe we'll see you open your own line of horse based crafts.

Comment

Oh, god...so sorry. And to think we were joking about this type of stuff the other day. (Because, you know, eventers have warped senses of humor).

Boredom wise I have one word: HULU!

www.hulu.com is fantastic. You'll probably never run out of things to watch.
                            Amanda

Comment

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, I am very sorry that you've had this injury. Unfortunately, this is a subject on which I havetoo much experience. I broke my collar bone in March of 2007, have had 4 surgeries since then (yep, that's right--FOUR), and the thing is still not healed completely!!. I'm totally bored and depressed....on the verge of breakdown somedays. (Previously, I always thought that a broken CB was just no big deal. Needless to say...it has become a big deal for me).

With out going into all the details, I highly recommend that you stay in your sling as long, if not LONGER, than the doctor advises, and even if you FEEL like you can ride, swim, bear weight -- especially if you are getting older. (I'm in my early 40s, and have learned that bones don't heal as quickly as they did when I was younger.). Also, there is not a lot of blood supply or natural stability in the collar bone area...so it is hard to keep it immobile and to heal. Take it very slowly and make sure your doctor tells you how much weight you can bear, and how much motion you can take at each follow up appointment. BE VERY CONSERVATIVE and ask a lot of questions !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure your doctor is a SHOULDER specialist, and that he/she understands what a "regular level of activity" is for you. (e.g., resuming "regular activity" for the average person, is not necessarily the same thing as resuming "regular activity" for the horse person.)

As for boredome, I have read and re-read many books on riding, dressage, jumping, horse care, etc. etc. Lots of lurking on Coth.

Keep us posted. Feel free to PM if need to vent/whine.
                              Best, Koko

Comment

Welcome to the Collarbone Club!

Ditto the advice about keeping your arm still and using the sling. I broke my collarbone in late Sept. last year and had surgery on it Oct. 2. (plated and screwed back together). Everyone I know who broke their collarbone and didn't follow doctors' orders took many months to heal and/or needed additional surgeries because the bone didn't heal properly.

Wear that sling!

Mine healed in 10 weeks and I was 42 years old at the time. I also made sure to take a concoction of vitamins and supplements that promote healing - calcium, boron, lysine, vitamin C, and a multivitamin. You can find a lot of info on the internet about what nutrients promote bone growth. Make sure you eat healthy too.

As for how to keep busy - you should be able to do the stationary biking, and lower body strength training, within a few weeks. Just keep that arm still! Knitting is a good idea - I took up needlepoint while healing. TV gets REALLY boring very quickly.

Good luck!

Comment

One more thing

While recuperating it's fun to do some natural horsemanship stuff with your horse. I taught mine to back with a hand signal (very handy for trailering) and had a lot of fun just free lunging him. He enjoyed the NH "games" so much that he started trotting up to me in the field when I arrived at the barn. I guess he liked it better when I was broken because now he's not as easy to catch!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                                    To this day I am the only person I know to spend 2 days in the hospital for a broken collarbone!!!
                                    Wow, but at least you have a good story... mine is just lame :-p

And i spent 3 days in the hospital :-p the day of injury, had surgery 24 hours later, then they kept me another 32 hours after surgery to make sure all was ok.

Very smart of you to give yourself longer to heal when it didn't feel right though1

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                                      Oh, god...so sorry. And to think we were joking about this type of stuff the other day. (Because, you know, eventers have warped senses of humor).

Boredom wise I have one word: HULU!

www.hulu.com is fantastic. You'll probably never run out of things to watch.
                                      Hah, warped sense of humor, sheesh, i never would have guessed. my family is grossed out that i am highly entertained by my post-op x-rays showing the metal plate and 6 screws that now hold me together.... i think it's pretty cool!

And yes, hulu is great... catch up on all those seasons where i didn't have cable

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Koko View Post
                                        First, I am very sorry that you've had this injury. Unfortunately, this is a subject on which I havetoo much experience. I broke my collar bone in March of 2007, have had 4 surgeries since then (yep, that's right--FOUR), and the thing is still not healed completely!!. I'm totally bored and depressed....on the verge of breakdown somedays. (Previously, I always thought that a broken CB was just no big deal. Needless to say...it has become a big deal for me).

With out going into all the details, I highly recommend that you stay in your sling as long, if not LONGER, than the doctor advises, and even if you FEEL like you can ride, swim, bear weight -- especially if you are getting older. (I'm in my early 40s, and have learned that bones don't heal as quickly as they did when I was younger.). Also, there is not a lot of blood supply or natural stability in the collar bone area...so it is hard to keep it immobile and to heal. Take it very slowly and make sure your doctor tells you how much weight you can bear, and how much motion you can take at each follow up appointment. BE VERY CONSERVATIVE and ask a lot of questions !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure your doctor is a SHOULDER specialist, and that he/she understands what a "regular level of activity" is for you. (e.g., resuming "regular activity" for the average person, is not necessarily the same thing as resuming "regular activity" for the horse person.)

As for boredome, I have read and re-read many books on riding, dressage, jumping, horse care, etc. etc. Lots of lurking on Coth.

Keep us posted. Feel free to PM if need to vent/whine.
                                        Best, Koko
                                        oh gosh! i'm so sorry that you've been trying to recover from yours for 4 years... i can't even imagine how frustrating... but you make an excellent point... activity level for a full time horse person is far different than your average person.

i hope you heal well too!

Comment

Working...
                                        X