• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update #58-Dressage saddles that WON'T make me feel like I'm being split apart?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update #58-Dressage saddles that WON'T make me feel like I'm being split apart?

I'm so frustrated with my dressage saddle search.

I sold my Passier a few years ago because I hated it. It never fit me well. My knee would actually go over the flap and the knee roll would dig into me. The seat was too small and it always pushed me forward. Not a fun position when you're trying to learn to love dressage with a new OTTB!! haha

I've been sitting in SO many saddles and I promising myself not to buy one until it's really comfy.

It seems like every saddle I fit in is too wide for me. Like my legs are being pushed apart and I'm going to split up the middle! In addition to the spreading of the cheeks, I also feel pressure in my seat bones.

I ride in a simple Possoa jumping saddle. I've never needed a bio-seat or anything special. I don't know why all these dressage saddles are so uncomfortable for me

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Meredith Clark; Jan. 25, 2014, 10:56 PM.
    http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

I ride in an older Spirig saddle and love it!! Have never been comfortable in a dressage saddle before, probably because I am a H/J convert so, like you, always rode in flat close contact saddles. If a Spirig will fit your horse, might be worth a try. Good luck with the search!!

Comment

Look for a narrow twist. I've felt your pain.

Comment

Yep! Find a narrow twist and your problems will be solved!
        Please excuse the typos...I'm always on my iPhone and autocorrect is not my friend. Yes I mean mares autocorrect...not mates.

Comment

• Original Poster

A lot of dressage saddle descriptions don't mention twist, and there's only so many tack stores to find ones to sit in
          http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

I third the narrow twist. If you know the saddle's make and number you should be able to find info about twist.

Also this thread on COTH has info
            http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...h-narrow-twist
            Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

I find that my Neidersuess has a pretty narrow twist (something I struggled to find) and is very minimalist in the blocks, which I think can contribute to that split in two feeling.
              Amanda

Comment

I will say that although I don't luuuuurve my dressage saddle (mostly because it prohibits my frog legs that are my security) it does not split me up the middle. It's a County competitor but an older one. All the newer saddles I've sat in seem really wide so maybe try an older dressage saddle? Added bonus is that it might be cheaper???

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                  I find that my Neidersuess has a pretty narrow twist (something I struggled to find) and is very minimalist in the blocks, which I think can contribute to that split in two feeling.
                  So your Neidersuess does NOT make you feel like you're being split in two? I found one on ebay I really like in a 17.5, I can sometimes be an 18, do you think I'd be ok in the 17.5?

Comment

This site tells you about the twist; http://www.hobsonschoicesaddlery.com/dressage1.html
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I was just talking to a saddle shop about the same problem today. They suggested a monoflap Prestige D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Meredith Clark View Post
                        So your Neidersuess does NOT make you feel like you're being split in two? I found one on ebay I really like in a 17.5, I can sometimes be an 18, do you think I'd be ok in the 17.5?
                        I didn't write terribly clearly, did I? But, no. I do feel split in two in it. I like it quite a lot, actually.

As as for seat size, they aren't terribly deep so you may be ok. That being said, I often tell people shopping that you can often size up half or a full size in dressage saddles. But that's more true, I find, of the very deep saddles.
                        Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Got it!

This one on ebay is calling my name.. especially with the new "pay for it later" program or whatever. I'm going to call a few consignment stores tomorrow to see if there's one I can sit in.

Comment

Yep. You want a narrow twist. As someone whose horses are generally a wide and who needs a narrow twist, I feel your pain! I have had older Counties that worked and am currently in an Albion (I think it is an SL -- the SlK is wider).
                            Check with someone like Trumbull Mountain about what might work for your horse in a narrow twist.
                            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

KN only comes in 2 sizes--43cm (~16.75) and 45cm (~17.5+)
                              I often take an 18", am 5'9"/long legged and LOVED my KN, felt fine in the 45. It was my favorite dressage saddle ever. FWIW I didn't think the twist was all that narrow, kind of average for a dressage saddle, but really loved its feel.
                              My fitter convinced me that it didn't fit my horse, nor would it fit any horse I am likely to buy (I guess it is best for very curved back horses, vs my OTTBs?) but if it fits your horse I recommend highly.

Comment

My Stubben Parzival D is very narrow but more like a long flapped jump saddle than a modern dressage saddle.
                                Doubled Expectations (Roxy, 2001 APHA)
                                Al Amir (Al, 2005 OTTB)
                                Ten Purposes (Rosie, 2009 OTTB)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                                  KN only comes in 2 sizes--43cm (~16.75) and 45cm (~17.5+)
                                  I often take an 18", am 5'9"/long legged and LOVED my KN, felt fine in the 45. It was my favorite dressage saddle ever. FWIW I didn't think the twist was all that narrow, kind of average for a dressage saddle, but really loved its feel.
                                  My fitter convinced me that it didn't fit my horse, nor would it fit any horse I am likely to buy (I guess it is best for very curved back horses, vs my OTTBs?) but if it fits your horse I recommend highly.
                                  That's why I'm nervous about buying on from ebay.

Don't flame me for this, but I don't really subscribe to pro saddle fitting. The experience I've had with saddle fitters always ended up with them trying to sell me to a specific brand, or thinking the saddle I have will be great... once the do a whole bunch of adjustments to it. I also once had 3 different saddle fitters tell me 3 different things about the same horse. It's frustrating!

Comment

Some saddles in general have a narrower twist. Passier saddles and many older style saddles. The newer monoflaps have a narrower twist most of the time. However, it makes no difference if it doesn't fit your horse so seeing conformation shots would make it easier to offer more educated suggestions.
                                    Jay McGarry
                                    saddle fitter
                                    www.trumbullmtn.com
                                    800-442-9672

Comment

Originally posted by Meredith Clark View Post
                                      That's why I'm nervous about buying on from ebay.
                                      Don't buy from ebay unless you have a very good notion of exactly what you are buying - & that it will suit the horse, & that it will suit the rider

Don't flame me for this, but I don't really subscribe to pro saddle fitting.
                                      In which case, ebay away

I ride in a simple Possoa jumping saddle.
                                      Why not try their nod to dressage saddles then ...
                                      or the previous version (originally in a fixed tree, then the exchange tree - both should still be readily available used)

Comment

Meredith, the Middleburg Tack Exchange has two KNs in 17.5. And they ship saddles for trial.
                                        Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                        X