• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update #58-Dressage saddles that WON'T make me feel like I'm being split apart?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found the Devoucoux Biarritz dressage saddle to be extremely comfy. I can even get up out of the tack and jump small obstacles in it if I need to.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by batman the horse View Post
      I have found the Devoucoux Biarritz dressage saddle to be extremely comfy. I can even get up out of the tack and jump small obstacles in it if I need to.
      Substantially out of my price range
      http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
        OP- I see you are in Elkon. A trip up to West Chester isn't that bad and Rick's Heritage has a ton of used dressage saddles. You can at least start by sitting on a bunch.
        http://www.saddlesource.com/dressage.html
        There is one employee that is very helpful and knowledgeable about the saddles but I cannot remember her name.
        I am sure if you call Rick's and you let them know that you will need some help with the saddles they can let you know when she will be there.
        I don't know if you brought wither tracings and pictures if she can help you narrow things down further. But you can always ask before you make the trip.
        I wonder if they'd just let me park Juice in the parking lot and try the saddles on him! He'd stand quietly for it.

There are also hardly any 18 inches. I'm 5"3 and not huge.. who are all these people that can fit into 17 inch saddles?
        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

Try looking for an older stubben. They don't have lots of extra padding/blocks/etc, the seats are deep enough without being too deep and they tend to fit everything. Plus they hold up well and you can find them used very reasonably priced.

I lucked into mine and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Meredith Clark View Post
            I wonder if they'd just let me park Juice in the parking lot and try the saddles on him! He'd stand quietly for it.

There are also hardly any 18 inches. I'm 5"3 and not huge.. who are all these people that can fit into 17 inch saddles?
            Maybe you need a smaller saddle. 18 seems huge for someone who is 5'3 and slim to average. I'm 5'5 and am very comfortable in a 17 as are people at my barn who are taller, more blessed in padding and longer-legged than me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by PoohLP View Post
              Maybe you need a smaller saddle. 18 seems huge for someone who is 5'3 and slim to average. I'm 5'5 and am very comfortable in a 17 as are people at my barn who are taller, more blessed in padding and longer-legged than me.
              I'm not slim.. I've got some junk in my trunk, but I'm not obese

Comment

Originally posted by TBFAN View Post
                I second the recommendation for an older Albion. I love the SL, if you can find a used one. Older Albions also usually have a tree shape that is better suited to a TB build, and you really need to focus on what fits your horse as well.

Sorry you haven't had a good saddle fitter experience. I try to stay away from those selling a particular brand. If you can find one and they are properly credentialed, they are worth their weight in gold, IME.
                As a former rep for Albion saddles, I am going to say that the really older Albions are known for their wide or moderate twists. Stay far, far away from any of the Comfort models, those are super-wide. The old SL was narrower, but for a true lover of a narrow twist, even that was too wide if the horse was wider than a M tree.

I have absolutely no idea what is current in the various line ups, but yellowbritches is a good one to chat with, she's got the in at MTE so sees dozens of saddles. I quit doing any sort of saddle sales over a decade ago.

Comment

I should just sit in all the dressage saddles tomorrow and make notes. It's slow enough this week...what else am I going to do!?!
                  Amanda

Comment

What I meant is that with your height, unless you have a whole lotta junk in the trunk, which I assumed you didn't since you said you weren't huge, that a 17 or 17.5 might be a better fit than an 18. I know very few women who truly need an 18 unless they are either quite tall (over 5'8 at least) or heavier than average (closer to 200 than 150) or both.

Comment

Great buy on CL for a Custom Saddlery Steffen Peters model: http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/4295447729.html
                      Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook
                      Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses Website and Blog

Comment

What I meant is that with your height, unless you have a whole lotta junk in the trunk, which I assumed you didn't since you said you weren't huge, that a 17 or 17.5 might be a better fit than an 18. I know very few women who truly need an 18 unless they are either quite tall (over 5'8 at least) or heavier than average (closer to 200 than 150) or both.
                        Although it really depends on the saddle. Often the seat size is more and issue of how the rider is built. If you have long thighs for example, even if not tall, a rider may need a larger seat size. Also, some deeper dressage saddles may feel to locked in.

My experience has been the opposite...I know a lot more riders more comfortable from a balance and leg position in 18+ than smaller saddles.
                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

They used to have a round pen in the parking lot just for that. I think the liability concerns became to great. They are on a road that is pretty busy and a loose horse would be a disaster.

At one point I was considering trailering Finnegan there and just putting the saddles on in the trailer. I could tell within minutes if we were close or not and if it was worth taking riding in. I figured I could set the trailer up as a box stall so there was room.
                          Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                            I should just sit in all the dressage saddles tomorrow and make notes. It's slow enough this week...what else am I going to do!?!
                            Where do you work YB?

Comment

• Original Poster

I was always told that you go up a size for a dressage saddle, but maybe I'll try some 17.5 s.

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                              Although it really depends on the saddle. Often the seat size is more and issue of how the rider is built. If you have long thighs for example, even if not tall, a rider may need a larger seat size. Also, some deeper dressage saddles may feel to locked in.

My experience has been the opposite...I know a lot more riders more comfortable from a balance and leg position in 18+ than smaller saddles.

Comment

ya shop around for a narrow twist.

I ride in a Vega. It's the most narrow I could find.
                                Also, the Arthur Kottas is a narrow twist...it was a really nice saddle. Too deep for me though. I'm huge and the really deep seats end up being to small.
                                http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Have you tried sitting in a Schleese? The Schleese website says that they design their saddles with narrow twists because most women prefer that. I need a pretty narrow twist or I feel like my hips are falling out of their sockets, and I really like the one I've been borrowing from my horse's owner. I think she got hers used; might be worth trying one and then see if you can find one for cheaper if you like it.

Comment

I was always told that you go up a size for a dressage saddle, but maybe I'll try some 17.5 s.
                                    This!^ I was starting to wonder if they've changed the sizing on saddles in the last 20 yrs. I was always told to go up AT LEAST 1/2 a size and this was in the 80's before SUPER deep seats and huge blocks. I've been browsing Ebay and there are more 17" dressage saddles than anything. I thought maybe this was because people bought them, rode in them a while, and then thought, "Dang! I wish I would have bought this saddle a size larger!"
                                    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Comment

• Original Poster

So I went and sat in a bunch today....I think it made my problems worse.

Upon further analyzing my discomfort I found that a lot of saddles not only made me feel like I was being split in two... some made me feel like I was riding in a position such as "crotch smashing into pommel" , others really pressed into my seat bones, like really bad pressure on the outer side of each cheek.

A person at the store also said that for as short as I am, my hip to knee is really long, so a lot of the flaps looked funky.

I just don't get it. I can sit in 20 jump saddles and be perfectly happy in 19 of them, yet I can't find a dressage saddle that doesn't make me worry about spending a 4 min. test in it.

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarPony View Post
                                        Have you tried sitting in a Schleese? The Schleese website says that they design their saddles with narrow twists because most women prefer that. I need a pretty narrow twist or I feel like my hips are falling out of their sockets, and I really like the one I've been borrowing from my horse's owner. I think she got hers used; might be worth trying one and then see if you can find one for cheaper if you like it.
                                        My Schleese Jane Savoie is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden in. I used to experience discomfort and soreness during and after dressage schooling. I figured that was standard. Then I bought a used Schleese (mainly to protect my horse's spinal health.) Little did I know it was going to help my position and comfort immensely. Definitely recommend it!
                                        The real problem, explained-
                                        http://equisearch.com/horses_riding_...408/index.aspx
                                        -Slickteam12brs

Comment

Meredith -- I am not really "short" but at 5'6" I've got a longer thigh (knee to hip) ratio than a friend that is male and is 6'2", plus I've had wide horses, which will make even a narrow twist saddle feel wide. Despite being on the plumper side of pleasantly plump, I need a really, really narrow twist -- like, I'm happiest if it feels like I'm sitting on a 2x4 turned upward.

So, not only do I have to find a dressage saddle that has a narrow twist, even on a wide horse, but I have to also find something where the flap is constructed forward enough that my leg isn't hanging over. My Albion SLKs have been ok, but the only two dressage saddles that I've ever felt delighted to sit in on my wide horses have been both of the Frank Baines. For the MN tree, I have an Omni, and for the new one -- well, I'm horribly embarrassed to say that it is their brand new saddle and isn't on the web site and I cannot remember the name of it. <sigh> But, it truly felt as is the heavens opened and the angels sang when I sat in the 17.5 demo. I'm awaiting the 18" demo so that we can decide where the blocks go, etc. before I order one.

Trumbull Mountain carries them and they are also in several tack stores around -- if you didn't get to sit in one of those, it might be worth a shot, as we may be built somewhat alike, though I'm certain I'm fluffier! Pelham Saddlery appears to have a few used ones, though I cannot get the website to load in order to be able to see it. Grrrr.

In any event, just a thought -- I didn't want to have to buy a new saddle, but the feeling I got when I sat in the demo was so fabulous I'm willing to beg, borrow, steal, whatever -- sad, huh?

There has to be a solution for you out there somewhere!
                                          I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
                                          Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Comment

Working...
                                          X