• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Winter riding apparel: What's warmer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.ernordic.com/merchant/mer...ategory_Code=4

These are what I wear up here on my ears. They are perfect. I used to wear them when I nordic ski raced, but now wear them under my helmet. One pair I've had for 10 years. They are perfect for keeping the ears warm.

I did trot sets yesterday in a foot of fluffy snow.

Comment

There are these full seat (deerskin) breeches that are made with some sort of neoprene-like material that are UBELIEVABLY warm, in any kind of wind or arctic temperatures. They're Polartech. I'm talking, it's like they are electronically heated or something, lol. I got mine I believe in a dressage catalog, or was it Dover? If you can find them, and I'm sure they're everywhere, you will NOT need full chaps

Another major benefit about these is that the deerskin seat is so incredibly grippy that you can sit the biggest silly moment or spook imaginable without a problem, Lol. And we all know how those like to come about in sub freezing temperatures.

The only downside of these breeches (and I'm old enough now not to give a crap) is that they are not the most flattering things in the world. They're thick. But who cares... your bum will be happily toasty.
      "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Comment

From the skin out

I start with Under Armor- it is stretchy and warm, fits under jeans and breeches. A bit on the pricey side, but worth it. I hate longjohns because they bunch up when you ride, UA doesn't.
        Move on to jeans and full chaps with insulated boots on my feet ( I am done for if my feet get cold)
        If its really blowing wind I put my Rambo waterproof pants on over the chaps.
        I worked outside all last winter sitting on a horse and managed to stay warm
        Last edited by pinkdiamondracing; Nov. 24, 2008, 02:02 AM.
        The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
        Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
        Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Comment

great breeches

I think their called Classic Equine. i bought mine from Smartpak. they come in blue. They have a thin fleece lining. Comfortable, warm - I never sweat in them. Those Mountain horse Fusion boots are great!

Be careful of full chaps - they can really wear the seat of your saddle. Probably not so bad for jumping or hacking. I really would do deep seated dressage work in them.

Comment

thumb's up full chaps

My vote is also with the full chaps. My full chaps kept my legs warm in the low teens up to mid-thirties. Also keeps the wind off.

I used to wear mine over jeans so if that's your preference you ought to be fine. I'm not a big fan of long underwear, even the silk because it just feels "bunchy."

All that said, I'm trying a new approach for cold weather riding this year. And am a little apprehensive about NOT wearing my trusty full chaps.

Just bought the Mt. Horse RimFrost tall boots because I have terrible time with my hands and feet which get cold, then swell and blister. So I need something I can put on that keeps my feet warm and dry while slogging out in slushy puddles, frozen mud, and snow to get my mare---then keep on for riding. Plan to layer it with Under Armor and wear with my regular breeches.

As for warm gloves, I've used the Mt. horse winter gloves and they work great. Plus they're really affordable. My instructor uses and recommends simple fleece mittens. Says she just pulls her pinky back to accommodate the reins and it's really effective.

Comment

Another vote for UnderArmour tights under fleecy breeches (the WindPro fleece type are AWESOME, I have some from Kerrits and some from Irideon). Just can't do chaps. If I'm teaching or taking a break between horses I'll throw on sweats or workout pants over the breeches for an extra layer if its cold enough, but it was 19 degrees Saturday morning and I was perfectly comfy with UA and breeches.

On top I had a UA turtleneck, Port Authority bonded fleece barn jacket, a HorseWear winter jacket (until I warmed up riding) and a fleece gaiter to keep my neck and ears warm (until I warmed up).

I love under armour. :-)

Jennifer
              Third Charm Event Team

Comment

http://www.greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/So...dd9+1227515258

I just bought these, hasn't been cold enough to use them riding yet, but standing around the barn/arena is colder than riding and they are very toasty.

Comment

I don't mind chaps - and in winter, sometimes I'll do long underwear, jeans, and my full chaps, they're pretty good for keeping you warm. Otherwise it's long underwear, fleecy breeches, and my full seat riding snowpants. Yes, I'm a retard about the cold.
                  ---
                  They're small hearts.

Comment

A very heavy wool sock from Cabela's to keep the piggies warm. Yeah, I know, I look like a lumber jack with them. To fit into tall boots or half chaps, I cut the top of the sock off at the ankle.

Comment

You know what Im trying out this winter for those freezing road hacks up here in Canada?

Those old timey 70s ski racing pants. I figure they are less bulky than snow pants, but still warm. Ill let you know.

Other than that, I wear ski socks, with wool ones over top, in Ariat winter paddock boots with half chaps 2 sizes too big to fit over my clothes. 1-3 layers of long johns under my breeches, depending on the day, and 1-3 under my hoody. On top of that, I have a down vest, down jacket liner, and an old snowboarding jacket. I wear all three if its really cold. Then I have a helmet cozy cover, which sometimes I put on my too big helmet so I can fit a balaclava underneath as well. I also have ski giggles for the really cold hacking days. SSG winter gloves, but when its really cold I put my big mittens overtop, and hack holding the reins in a fist.

Comment

I have full seat riding "snowpants" too - they keep your butt warm when not on the horse, which chaps don't do. My chaps are entirely comfortable off the horse. They were new last year, and were stiff at first, but broke in beautifully.

They are really warm b/c they cut the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post
                          You know what Im trying out this winter for those freezing road hacks up here in Canada?

Those old timey 70s ski racing pants. I figure they are less bulky than snow pants, but still warm. Ill let you know.

Other than that, I wear ski socks, with wool ones over top, in Ariat winter paddock boots with half chaps 2 sizes too big to fit over my clothes. 1-3 layers of long johns under my breeches, depending on the day, and 1-3 under my hoody. On top of that, I have a down vest, down jacket liner, and an old snowboarding jacket. I wear all three if its really cold. Then I have a helmet cozy cover, which sometimes I put on my too big helmet so I can fit a balaclava underneath as well. I also have ski giggles for the really cold hacking days. SSG winter gloves, but when its really cold I put my big mittens overtop, and hack holding the reins in a fist.
                          "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Comment

For colder weather, I do wear my chaps. I need to find some warmer breeches to wear though because a couple of the horses I ride rub my legs in my chaps. I don't have that problem with boots and breeches.

I have to laugh with all the cold comments I used to relate to you but now I am cold when it drops below 50 Texas has messed up my body's thermostat. When it is 30 degrees in the morning and 75 degrees by afternoon, it's hard to get used to the cold. I vaguely remember really cold weather and galloped at Hawthorne and Sportsmans in Cicero....now those were some chilly mornings And riding in the fresh snow in the northwest suburbs. That was the best. There is nothing better than a good gallop in the fresh snow

Comment

I like the fleece ear warmers that attach directly to the helmet. I think Big Ds carries them for around $8.00 per pair. They work great and really keep your ears warm!
                              http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

Another Canadian here...

I don't find silk is a very good base layer, I LOVE "Woolpower" brand long johns from Sweden. Marino wool, so comfy and warm and satisfies my need to not buy anything made in China. I also have under shirts, a thin balaclava that fits perfectly under my J3, socks and full zip sweaters from them. Lasts forever too.
                                For my second layer I go with Irideon winter breechs and then finally suede full chaps and Columbia Bugaboo short boots.
                                I also find the Thinsulate deerskin gloves work well.
                                I am sure I look ridiculous out there but I am old enough to no longer care.
                                "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post

good god, I dont' think I could MOVE with that many layers of clothing on let alone actually ride

Comment

Originally posted by imapepper View Post
                                    For colder weather, I do wear my chaps. I need to find some warmer breeches to wear though because a couple of the horses I ride rub my legs in my chaps. I don't have that problem with boots and breeches.

I have to laugh with all the cold comments I used to relate to you but now I am cold when it drops below 50 Texas has messed up my body's thermostat. When it is 30 degrees in the morning and 75 degrees by afternoon, it's hard to get used to the cold. I vaguely remember really cold weather and galloped at Hawthorne and Sportsmans in Cicero....now those were some chilly mornings And riding in the fresh snow in the northwest suburbs. That was the best. There is nothing better than a good gallop in the fresh snow
                                    My legs got really bad rubs last winter riding 10 a day, so I invested in a pair of elastic leggings. http://www.bitofbritain.com/Equestri...ins_p/0288.htm Best $20 I ever spent. I wear them beneath breeches/jeans under my chaps, so no rubs even when things bunch up under the stirrup leathers. I've also used them during the summer, when I get raw patches on my shins... bandaids help, but these leggings will allow the wounds to fully heal.
                                    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                                    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Chaps are okay

I would suppose it would depend on how cold tollerant you are. I live in MN and don't bother putting on the long winter underware until it gets to be about zero. Of course, most of my friends are then on their second pair or breaking out their Carharts. LOL. Layers work best. Wool, silk, dryweave synthetic next to the skin work best... they stay warm but the sweat isn't trapped against your body like with cotton. Invest in good wool socks and a good water/wind resistant or insultated glove. Chaps will add warmth but I found I wear mine about as often as I wear my winter riding boots (about never). Personally, if you are wearing chaps, whatever you have under them (jeans, breeches) shouldn't make them fit too snug or you might actually find yourself feeling colder. I only wear a winter jacket at my husband's insistence. Often I will just keep one in the car and wear a few light weight layers with a wool sweater and a vest. Layers can actually be quite warm and allow you to move.

Best advice I can give -- keep moving. If you are still for too long, the cold creeps up on you quick. I have no problems with -10 or -15 below out... as long as I keep moving around.

Stay warm and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                      X